Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want to celebrate an old favorite and share a couple recent favorites that have been in my rotation:

Ferrari (shot/serve slightly chilled):
1.5 oz fernet
1.5 oz campari

This is clearly in the list of things that is greater than the sum of its parts. I can't recommend it enough to round out an evening. It's completely absurd but works.

Amexicillin:
2 oz mezcal (del maguey vida)
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz ginger syrup (I got liber and co as a gift but also always have 1lb of ginger on hand)
Garnish: lemon twist

So I made this up as a lazier, easier penicillin but with the sweetness and mouthfeel of mezcal. I've been drinking this recently after clearing out all the scotch in the house, and it's a great substitution. I'd love to hear thoughts.

Any other good mezcal for scotch substitutions that folks have? I appreciate that Del Maguey is much more affordable and thus easier for me to keep around for cocktails. Also, mezcal negroni's have quickly become a favorite.

Speaking of which, I've also been making a Negroni out of Forthave Spirits (a local distillery) that absolutely should not work unless you're also into stuff that is too herbal.

1.5 oz Gin (Forthave Blue)
1 oz Forthave Red
1 oz Génépi (Forthave yellow)

It's over the top and amazing.

Edit: also drink a Monte Carlo if you haven't this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Carillon posted:

I just bought a manzanilla sherry for the first time in a while and find myself a bit out of fun ideas other than a bamboo or cobbler. Anyone have any fun things to their it in?

We bought a bottle of the yuzu/ginger and really didn't like it very much. How is it straight? Your idea of subbing it in as cocktail component I definitely didn't think of.

It requires pear liquer but I love the La Perla https://www.liquor.com/recipes/la-perla/

1 1/2 oz Partida reposado tequila
1 1/2 oz Domecq manzanilla sherry
3/4 oz Mathilde pear liqueur
Garnish: Lemon twist

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Carillon posted:

I just bought a manzanilla sherry for the first time in a while and find myself a bit out of fun ideas other than a bamboo or cobbler. Anyone have any fun things to their it in?

We bought a bottle of the yuzu/ginger [Haus aperitif] and really didn't like it very much. How is it straight? Your idea of subbing it in as cocktail component I definitely didn't think of.

Try a Tuxedo: a martini with fino/manzanilla replacing the dry vermouth. Or an Orchid Thief or a Trident. You can kind of replace dry vermouth with it (or split them 50/50).

Re: the Haus aperitif: straight it's OK but nothing special; definitely better in drinks with other things contributing.

Rectovagitron posted:

I appreciate that Del Maguey is much more affordable and thus easier for me to keep around for cocktails. Also, mezcal negroni's have quickly become a favorite.

Speaking of which, I've also been making a Negroni out of Forthave Spirits (a local distillery) that absolutely should not work unless you're also into stuff that is too herbal.

Everything Forthave makes is great. And, since you're in Brooklyn, you can definitely do better than Vida for a cheap mezcal--look at Banhez or Unión or Ilegal or even Madre or Sombra.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sherry is great in highballs, either accompanying a spirit or by itself. Tequila, manzanilla, strawberry, soda, and a lemon or lime is really nice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So I've been slacking a little in getting novel punches under my belt for the last couple weeks, and this week I again failed to do so. However, I have a good excuse, in that it's Seville orange season and that meant I had to make K&A Orange Punch. Luckily, it was also my buddy's birthday, so I had a good excuse.

While lately I've been doing the peel-and-squeeze, for this one you really need every last drop of orange oil you can extract, so you know did an overnight oleo-saccharum.

I took that picture after only a couple hours of maceration, by the next morning it was extremely rich with oil.

Since it was a birthday, I decided to bust out my carafes.

I got these a little over a year ago for serving batch cocktails at a Christmas party, but haven't had much opportunity to use them lately. They're perfect for punch service!

I've already rhapsodized about orange punch plenty in this thread, but I think it's worth repeated that if it's at all possible for you to track down Seville oranges, please do so and knock up a bowl. Its not a difficult punch by any means, and the flavor is unbelievable. The bright zest, the mellow tang, the cognac hidden behind it all cracking its knuckles. Really really delightful.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

prayer group posted:

Sherry is great in highballs, either accompanying a spirit or by itself. Tequila, manzanilla, strawberry, soda, and a lemon or lime is really nice.

Manzanilla / pisco / lemon highball is :discourse:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks all for the recs, sadly I tried the sherry and it's not great. My local total wine's selection wasn't extensive, but hope springs eternal I guess. I'll do more stuff that requires a dash than stuff that requires it as a core flavor. Subbing in for vermouth isn't a bad idea at all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Rectovagitron posted:

Amexicillin:
2 oz mezcal (del maguey vida)
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz ginger syrup (I got liber and co as a gift but also always have 1lb of ginger on hand)
Garnish: lemon twist

So I made this up as a lazier, easier penicillin but with the sweetness and mouthfeel of mezcal. I've been drinking this recently after clearing out all the scotch in the house, and it's a great substitution. I'd love to hear thoughts.

Just want to express my appreciation for “amexicillin” as a drink name here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My favorite drink as of late has been Heartbreaker Coffeehouse.

1.5oz tequila blanco
.75oz coffee liquer
2 dash orange bitters

Stir over ice, lemon peel garnish

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You would love my orange-brew syrup. I’m sure I’ve recommended it in here several times.

Make your orange oleo, using raw/Demerara sugar if you can, but use coffee to dissolve the sugar instead of water. I always made cold brew for it but use whatever your favorite coffee is.

Different, but expanding on it, I would mix maple syrup and peated scotch in equal parts and then mix that with equal parts of orange brew syrup to make a maple-scotch-orange-coffee syrup. Tastes incredible.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My favorite drink as of late has been Heartbreaker Coffeehouse.

1.5oz tequila blanco
.75oz coffee liquer
2 dash orange bitters

Stir over ice, lemon peel garnish
I haven't had one of these in months, but coffee liqueur is 100% my favorite thing at the moment. I'm drinking a coffee old fashioned right now with a little hazelnut liqueur to sweeten it, and it's an amazing desert drink. I'm thinking I'm due for a Heartbreaker Coffeehouse later this week.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I don't have any kahlua but I've got vodka, coffee and sugar; anyone have a good homemade recipe?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You’re probably gonna want a vanilla bean in there too

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm making a syrup from makrut lime peals. Trying to decide if I want to juice them and use that to dissolve the last bit of sugar or just water. Already added some everclear. I think if I use the lime juice it will be a lot more perishable, right? I want it last a long time. Also it would change the taste a lot, the juice is intense.

Wow this syrup is crazy strong but good. Gonna use even less to mix with tequila than I did the first time. Doesn't even taste sweet on it's own, little makruts brought so so much bitterness. Whole house smelled nice and aromatic for several days. Reserved 1/3 of the peals in Hamilton 151 long term for next SE Asian inspired rum bitters. Usually I finish those with makrut leaves.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I finally cracked open my Kina l'aero d'or which is supposed to be a replica of the OG Kina Lillet. One fun thing, their recipe on the back for a Vesper straight up call for lemon juice, which I've never seen before. I've done a few vespers and corpse revivers, anything else fun to do with it? It's pretty yellow, which isn't a problem but isn't quite as subtle as Lillet for instance.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have decided to become a Tiki Guy.

I may have gone a little overboard yesterday.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Your life will now improve dramatically, in the inverse to your diabetes risk.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my kinda ape posted:

I have decided to become a Tiki Guy.

I may have gone a little overboard yesterday.

:hmmyes:

It’s a bit tough to find, but do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal a bottle of Smith and Cross.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

It’s a bit tough to find, but do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal a bottle of Smith and Cross.

I looked for it but wasn't able to find any at three different liquor stores. Not a whole lot of rum choice in Lincoln, Nebraska unfortunately. Fairly happy with what I was able to find though!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The absinthe is a wise buy. Tropical drinks with a bit of absinthe in them rule.

Edit: also, Campari, so you can join the jungle bird gang!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my kinda ape posted:

I looked for it but wasn't able to find any at three different liquor stores. Not a whole lot of rum choice in Lincoln, Nebraska unfortunately. Fairly happy with what I was able to find though!

I live in a giant metro area and only have one store that carries it, a Total Wine with a manager who is super into rum. I feel your pain.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Is there a good place to order rum online? Before I made a special trip to the city to buy all this I made a big selection from an online store in California only to discover that they don't ship spirits outside of the state :downs:

I don't think my local liquor store stocks anything fancier than Bacardi so I doubt they'd be willing to order a case of Smith and Cross just so I can buy a couple of bottles.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh man, what inspiration. I was just talking to my girlfriend about how my heartburn hasn't been bad at all recently so I wanna loving ruin myself on tiki drinks again. Gonna go hard this summer I think.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kenning posted:

I know you're a man who appreciates Tiki, so I highly recommend

Hell in the Pacific

3/4 oz. lime
1/2 oz .maraschino
1/4 oz. grenadine
1 1/2 oz. 151 Demerara rum (Lemon Hart or whatever)

Shake with lots of crushed ice and pour unstrained into a a pilsner glass.

Just made this and it's pretty good! My cherry syrup seems to be a little cough syrupy though so I think that might be hurting it a bit. Still very drinkable.

edit: lol just realized it's supposed to be maraschino *liqueur* not syrup. Oh well still turned out ok!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 8, 2021

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Carillon posted:

I finally cracked open my Kina l'aero d'or which is supposed to be a replica of the OG Kina Lillet. One fun thing, their recipe on the back for a Vesper straight up call for lemon juice, which I've never seen before. I've done a few vespers and corpse revivers, anything else fun to do with it? It's pretty yellow, which isn't a problem but isn't quite as subtle as Lillet for instance.

This stuff is sofa king good, and my ketchup in stirred drinks. Try it with brown liquor and maybe a liqueur or something

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

A thread I haven't looked at in a long time.

Chipping in to say that a Negroni made with Broker's gin and Martini and Rossi is one of my go-to favorites. Obviously I will accept no substitute for Campari. Although on occasion I will also squeeze a clementine's juice in to the whole thing, don't know if that is still a Negroni anymore.

Also, there was a "mix random things together as punishment" drink that... oddly worked. I cannot divulge exact ingredients (as I don't know what they were) but I have gotten close to recreating it.

Absente is a definite inclusion - the original was a few drops remaining in an otherwise empty bottle. I have further refined this as a rinse of the glass.

Prairie cucumber vodka was in there as well, a backing cool note. Triple sec too, for sweetness. The final note was either coconut rum or vodka.

By all means, all of those together should not have worked. But goddamn it, the right ratios just need tweaking for an oddly refreshing, cool, crisp drink. Tentatively calling this a Goyal Flush in honor of the unwitting inventor.

E.) It was originally a shot but by chance I only got a sip before having to snifle a sneeze. Immediately handed it to my buddy who agreed that something was magic in this accidental combination

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 11, 2021

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Has anybody done this technique? Can anyone confirm it's better done with a pressure cooker? Never used my instant pot for a cocktail application. Read that somewhere pressure is better. Would be just spent lime hulls.
https://punchdrink.com/recipes/trash-tiki-citrus-stock/

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I made a Saturn last night and it was probably the best cocktail I've ever had. I made a second one after because the first was so good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

thetan_guy42 posted:

This stuff is sofa king good, and my ketchup in stirred drinks. Try it with brown liquor and maybe a liqueur or something

Thanks! I did bourbon, kina, and orange liqueur and it was awesome.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think I’ve reached the conclusion that there’s something in Four Roses that my body strongly disagrees. It’s almost like the hangovers start halfway through the drink.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

my kinda ape posted:

I made a Saturn last night and it was probably the best cocktail I've ever had. I made a second one after because the first was so good.

Yeah, the Saturn is insanely good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got $20 of iTunes gift cards, which is odd as a gift for new parents who don't use iTunes for music, especially when it's a Christmas gift delivered in February. Looped through my apps to see if any had premium versions and remembered this thread's rec for Mixel.

Glad I did! Love the app, and the filtering is very powerful to find drinks I can make and those I can almost make! Now I have a ton of recipes at hand.

Sad to see it's a subscription, thought thread said there was a lifetime pass option but I'm either misremembering or it has changed. $12/yr ain't bad for convenience though!

Anyone have imported / manually entered recipes they can share?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Comb Your Beard posted:

Has anybody done this technique? Can anyone confirm it's better done with a pressure cooker? Never used my instant pot for a cocktail application. Read that somewhere pressure is better. Would be just spent lime hulls.
https://punchdrink.com/recipes/trash-tiki-citrus-stock/

I've made citrus stock plenty of times. Never with pressure, but I'm sure it would work fine.

I do have to ask what you plan to use it for though. I've used it as an ingredient in making triple sec, but on its own it's kind of unpleasant. I get wanting to reduce waste, I think about that sort of thing a lot and do it at my bar as much as I can, but cooked citrus is just an unpleasant flavor in drinks for the most part.

Also the Saturn is another favorite tiki cocktail of mine! I'm glad this thread has such good taste. My wife has a kegged one going on draft at her bar soon with guava syrup instead of passionfruit. Really tasty.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

I got $20 of iTunes gift cards, which is odd as a gift for new parents who don't use iTunes for music, especially when it's a Christmas gift delivered in February. Looped through my apps to see if any had premium versions and remembered this thread's rec for Mixel.

Glad I did! Love the app, and the filtering is very powerful to find drinks I can make and those I can almost make! Now I have a ton of recipes at hand.

Sad to see it's a subscription, thought thread said there was a lifetime pass option but I'm either misremembering or it has changed. $12/yr ain't bad for convenience though!

Anyone have imported / manually entered recipes they can share?

I don't have any manually input recipes but here are three that I really like.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What is this cool app you're using?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
App is called Mixel. I don’t recall it being a subscription; maybe I’m grandfathered in from purchasing the one-time price back in the day.

It’s a very slick, convenient app. My only complaint is that I would like to be able to search multiple terms by multiple categories, ie “I have a bottle of maraschino. I wonder if there are any recipes from Regarding Cocktails that use that.” You have the option to enter that criteria but it doesn’t actually work.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I use PDT for classics, Total Tiki for tropicals and Punch for punches. They share inventories and you can bookmark recipes that are shared within the apps. TT is absolutely one of my most used apps and everyone I’ve rec’d it to says it’s the best $10 they’ve spent on an app. I believe they are iOS only but they are incredibly polished and get regular updates despite no ongoing fees or subscriptions.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

prayer group posted:

I've made citrus stock plenty of times. Never with pressure, but I'm sure it would work fine.

I do have to ask what you plan to use it for though. I've used it as an ingredient in making triple sec, but on its own it's kind of unpleasant. I get wanting to reduce waste, I think about that sort of thing a lot and do it at my bar as much as I can, but cooked citrus is just an unpleasant flavor in drinks for the most part.

Also the Saturn is another favorite tiki cocktail of mine! I'm glad this thread has such good taste. My wife has a kegged one going on draft at her bar soon with guava syrup instead of passionfruit. Really tasty.

This sounds really good, not five minutes ago I made a big batch of guava syrup. I made a Jeep Turnover and it was a little one-note so I added quarter oz. of cinnamon syrup and it really benefits the drink.

Jeep Turnover
2 oz aged Jamaican rum
1 oz crème de banane
.75 oz lime juice
.75 oz guava syrup
.5 oz passion fruit syrup
.25 oz cinnamon syrup

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Holy poo poo throw some Angostura in there next time instead. Was that one note, perhaps, sweeter than a plate of yams with extra syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I mean it is a Tiki drink so drat, James... Anyways I made another and skipped the cinnamon but added .5 oz Amaro di Angostura and .25 oz cold brew (or .5 oz, can't remember) and the guava with the coffee is quite nice. I'll probably add the cinnamon back in there because I like it.