Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

oops :v: on the other hand, Shark, so I'll deal. I platinum'd Sekiro, hOw HaRd CaN iT bE
You'll get a Feral-type spirit at the end of the first mission, so it's not that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Thanks to those that replied to my Fallen Order post. I'm down to switching to a SSD everything else has failed to make a difference.

It's kinda ok though because I don't think it's the game for me. Glad I gave it a tryout instead of buying the last big sale.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fallom posted:

I know it must've been hard to come up with new ideas in Shadow of the Tomb Raider but having stealth sections against loving fish is just embarrassing.

I played that section just yesterday (the one with all the piranhas and air pockets) and found it surprisingly tense. Granted, it may just be because the rest of the game has been fairly easy (like what's the point of a stealth option when you can gun down all of your opposition in like 10 seconds anyway, plus the added XP can easily be made up elsewhere) though.

Speaking of SOTTR; anyone know why it's disconnecting and reconnecting my external HDD every time I boot the game? Its not like I'm running it off that drive, so I don't think it's a failure issue.

I don't know if it's related, but I noticed the game also resets my fullscreen and DLSS settings (to non-exclusive and off, respectively) every time I boot as well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well I guess I'm not going to get to finish Yakuza, it's a Hanafuda game now!

Same.

I already bought another game just to learn mah jong and that’s enough, even if the experience is rewarding. Homeless dudes can play their weird games without me.

Also, shogi asymmetric chess is a real mindfuck at the start.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Fallen Order is in the basic EA Play tier so it wouldn't be a 10 hour trial

That's good to know, guess I now need to work out if it's better played on ps4Pro or an aged PC.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Fallen Order still ran like dogshit after upgrading to a 3070 midway through the game. I think it’s just really poorly optimized but it’s a fun game, especially for a month of EA Play.

Also played Nioh 2 at release on PS4 with Tonfa as I loved Tonfa in the first game, but I bounced off it pretty hard. The Yokai stuff especially in boss encounters just seemed like too much, but maybe I need to try another weapon.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Steam wallet, always.

So yesterday I took a few hours to browse through the global top sellers on steam, and stumbled across a game, Last Epoch, that looks somewhat similar to Path of Exile. It's still in early access, but I thought it looked interesting so I bought it and I've already sunk 6 hours into it in a single session.

This does seem promising and I think they’re handling EA much much better than recent notable garbage fire Wolcen, but I think the endgame systems are just starting to make their way into EA builds and online / trade are still pretty far out on the roadmap. Reasonable to be wary until those pieces solidify a little.

I bought in during a steam sale after they announced the price wouldn’t be dropping after EA. Usually ~$26 3-4 times a year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Iverron posted:

This does seem promising and I think they’re handling EA much much better than recent notable garbage fire Wolcen, but I think the endgame systems are just starting to make their way into EA builds and online / trade are still pretty far out on the roadmap. Reasonable to be wary until those pieces solidify a little.

I bought in during a steam sale after they announced the price wouldn’t be dropping after EA. Usually ~$26 3-4 times a year.

My concern reading about it is that buying in early gets you cosmetic currency. I'm not a fan of cosmetic currency in a game that isn't free to play. Does it look like it'll be obnoxious, or hard to tell?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

HopperUK posted:

My concern reading about it is that buying in early gets you cosmetic currency. I'm not a fan of cosmetic currency in a game that isn't free to play. Does it look like it'll be obnoxious, or hard to tell?

Not sure honestly but I wouldn’t mind PoE having a minor buy-in price if it brought down some of the MTX prices a little.

As long as there’s no xp / rarity / whatever boost tokens to buy I’ll be happy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

Been playing valheim with the bros, I have a feeling getting up to bronze is gonna be where a lot of solo peeps start running into trouble cause man that supply chain was tedious even with 3-4 people dedicated to it

It is cool that that progression is tied more to equipment than stats for the most part, so if you have a friend who doesn't play as much they wont get left in the dirt as long as you smith them up some gear

I actually enjoy the huge commitment to getting even a small amount of bronze— it’s a slower-paced game in general and you really need to commit to whatever you’re doing for a good amount of time to make it worthwhile. I don’t know why but it’s really scratching a good itch. Playing it with a friend and taking the extra time to have one of us beat out a road in front of the other as they pull a cart to haul ore back home was oddly satisfying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

I played that section just yesterday (the one with all the piranhas and air pockets) and found it surprisingly tense. Granted, it may just be because the rest of the game has been fairly easy (like what's the point of a stealth option when you can gun down all of your opposition in like 10 seconds anyway, plus the added XP can easily be made up elsewhere) though.

Speaking of SOTTR; anyone know why it's disconnecting and reconnecting my external HDD every time I boot the game? Its not like I'm running it off that drive, so I don't think it's a failure issue.

I don't know if it's related, but I noticed the game also resets my fullscreen and DLSS settings (to non-exclusive and off, respectively) every time I boot as well.

Oh they don't stop with one

I appreciate that they made the combat trivial but that only emphasizes how pointless the combat is in this game. They do a great job putting Lara in extremely perilous situations and designing neat machinery and tombs, and those things are way more entertaining than stabbing some random contractor in the neck. Why not focus on the strengths?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 7, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I sort of liked the combat in Shadow of the TR. It's breezy on the default difficulty and picking off some dudes while caked in mud and phasing in and out of wall vines is fun. There's also very little of it, like 5-10% of the playtime? A fun, easy, breezy game, both satisfying and forgettable somehow, a true AAA game of our time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They did really downplay the combat in Shadow. I think there's a whole 10 hour section in the middle where you can just do tombs in and around Paititi with no shooting at all.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

They did really downplay the combat in Shadow. I think there's a whole 10 hour section in the middle where you can just do tombs in and around Paititi with no shooting at all.

Yep. The most combat-y it gets for a long while is a scripted segment where you run away from guards.

Though, as I discovered today, there are some shooty funtimes when you get the shotgun.

Fallom posted:

I appreciate that they made the combat trivial but that only emphasizes how pointless the combat is in this game. They do a great job putting Lara in extremely perilous situations and designing neat machinery and tombs, and those things are way more entertaining than stabbing some random contractor in the neck. Why not focus on the strengths?

It also works pretty well narratively, as the game sets up that Lara has been systematically hunting down and wiping out Trinity cells. Shooting dudes should be near inconsequential to her by this point.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 8, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I might be the only person who was disappointed in the lack of combat in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It was the most interesting iteration of the stealth/combat system of the three reboot games and also let you play around with it the least.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I decided to take the dip into Monster Sanctuary and I'm glad I did. Extremely fun mixture of monster collection RPG and Metroidvania. But I'm about ready for it to be over and move onto the next thing.

The next thing being World of Horror. I'm not a big fan of the spoops but the 1 bit body horror aesthetic intrigues me. Anybody else got hands-on on this?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ChrisBTY posted:

The next thing being World of Horror. I'm not a big fan of the spoops but the 1 bit body horror aesthetic intrigues me. Anybody else got hands-on on this?
It's basically a video game version of the board game Arkham Horror. It's not really spooky at all, it's more of a turn-based roguelike, except instead of moving a character around a map, you pick locations from a list and have to explore them and solve mysteries in the manner of CYOA book. Five mysteries per run-through, if you solve all of them, you win that round. The entire thing is highly luck-based and I personally didn't enjoy it much beyond the first run through each case. It's technically randomized, but the replayability is still fairly low because you mostly just run through the optimal solution for each mystery by rote after a certain point.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

World of Horror can be very unsettling at times though. It just presents bizarre situations without explanation but the implications are disturbing. Like the Class if 1971.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it has some of that. It's just not scary in the way a good horror game is supposed to be, more in the well-written spooky vignette/creepypasta kind of sense.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I'm definitely digging Valheim so far but trying to find dungeons is like pulling teeth. I finally found one of them after multiple hours of scouring, but it only gave me 8 of the 10 gewgaws I need to be able to start metalsmithing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'm definitely digging Valheim so far but trying to find dungeons is like pulling teeth. I finally found one of them after multiple hours of scouring, but it only gave me 8 of the 10 gewgaws I need to be able to start metalsmithing.

If one patch of Black Forest isn’t spawning them, go find another. I have one near my sacrificial stones with none but another biome of it further south has half a dozen.

You can also start making coal by overcooking meat on the cooking station, if you want. It’s slow but would let you start smelting with just a smelter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Don't Get Bit came out on Jan 29th this year and is a smaller bite-sized tactics/puzzle game where you guide your characters through levels and try to survive. It's explicit about how the game is meant to be played three times, and each win brings out more difficult challenges. It's also explicit about how there's no RNG, only your brain and lots of zombies.

My impressions of it are good as every level has a monologue from the main character as she recounts her adventures and it lends some narrative weight to the gameplay.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Valheim playable solo? Sorry I think this was asked before but I would like to know.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Valheim playable solo? Sorry I think this was asked before but I would like to know.

It is, but having someone to watch your back is a big help. Some biomes don’t mess around.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't Get Bit came out on Jan 29th this year and is a smaller bite-sized tactics/puzzle game where you guide your characters through levels and try to survive. It's explicit about how the game is meant to be played three times, and each win brings out more difficult challenges. It's also explicit about how there's no RNG, only your brain and lots of zombies.

My impressions of it are good as every level has a monologue from the main character as she recounts her adventures and it lends some narrative weight to the gameplay.

In a similar vein is HyperRogue, a hex-based roguelike in a non-euclidean world. There are an absolute rear end ton of different areas with various gimmicks and it's still being actively developed--and not in early access. You can find an older, free version on the Google Play Store.

e; some of the top reviews have 100 - 1000 hours in this game :wtc:
one of those reviews is by a dude I found on youtube making off-the-cuff videos on the game https://www.youtube.com/user/coldstarfish and if he's not a goon I'll eat my neckbeard
to qualify all this, I'll mention I have about 30 hours logged in it and I think it's wonderful. People who like puzzle games like minesweeper or hexcells/hexceed & want something more exploration and action based might get on well with it

treat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 8, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Monster Sanctuary just threw me for a loop in the final lap. I know I have 4 bosses or so left. The first of which has absolutely stonewalled me. His team can somehow strip all my buffs, stack multiple layers of armor break on my entire team and get maximum regeneration stacks on his team in a single round. And at this point I'm at max level with all my equipment maxed out so there's no outleveling the content. At this point it's pretty obvious that the designers want you to craft your team with a clear purpose and synergy, almost like designing a tournament playable deck in Magic the Gathering or something. But that means combing through all the monsters I've caught, assessing their skill trees and resistances, throwing level up items at the monsters I choose and HOPING that all the effort doesn't just lead to me getting my rear end kicked again.

Turns out as much fun as this game was I really don't want to deal with any of that so I guess it's time to move on.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 8, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

treat posted:

In a similar vein is HyperRogue, a hex-based roguelike in a non-euclidean world. There are an absolute rear end ton of different areas with various gimmicks and it's still being actively developed--and not in early access. You can find an older, free version on the Google Play Store.

one of those reviews is by a dude I found on youtube making off-the-cuff videos on the game https://www.youtube.com/user/coldstarfish and if he's not a goon I'll eat my neckbeard
to qualify all this, I'll mention I have about 30 hours logged in it and I think it's wonderful. People who like puzzle games like minesweeper or hexcells/hexceed & want something more exploration and action based might get on well with it

That's really cool. I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for sharing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fallom posted:

I know it must've been hard to come up with new ideas in Shadow of the Tomb Raider but having stealth sections against loving fish is just embarrassing.
But does it compare to the all time greatest stealth section ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7iZrvLwgM

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

treat posted:

As much as I respect that game it legit made me motion sick when I played it. :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The United States posted:

That is the most egregious use of dirty-cam I have ever seen. I had to watch the final few seconds three or four times since I couldn't see poo poo. No wonder everyone's in such a loving hurry to turn that poo poo off

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Does anyone know a way to clear the cache on the Steam iOS app? It's not loading any pages for me properly and I can't confirm market transactions or trades as a result. It might actually just be broken for good considering the app store has iOS 8.0 as a requirement and I'm still on an iPhone 4 running 7.1.2. It still worked a few weeks ago, though. It looks like the app updated to 2.0.20 on January 28th:

quote:

- Fixed an issue with some older devices failing to load certain pages within the app

Sounds good! Sounds like it could fix my issue. Except the app won't update, because of the iOS requirement presumably, so I'm stuck on 2.0.10.

The authenticator still works at least, but maybe this is when I'm finally forced to buy a new phone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r5xu_oqR-0

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.pcgamer.com/terraria-creator-cancels-stadia-port-after-being-locked-out-of-google-account/
lol

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 8, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As much as I respect that game it legit made me motion sick when I played it. :(

Steam page says it has VR support, lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, those tombs were super fun. That entry is actually my favorite of the whole reboot series because of them. It reminded me a whole lot of Legends where you do a lot of puzzles through platforming and combat, while present, is a secondary thing. If they ever make another one I hope they use Shadow as the template. They really need better writers, though. Drop the white savior poo poo, at least. You can't really get away from the problematic and terrible nature of raiding indigenous tombs as an outsider in this franchise but they can at least improve other aspects of the writing.

Anyone try out Ziggurat 2? I like the first game well enough but I'm curious to know if they changed anything with its sequel. Its shooting was solid and the enemies fun and varied but I never put a ton of hours into it and I didn't really care for the progression system they had.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jimbot posted:

Anyone try out Ziggurat 2? I like the first game well enough but I'm curious to know if they changed anything with its sequel. Its shooting was solid and the enemies fun and varied but I never put a ton of hours into it and I didn't really care for the progression system they had.

I haven't heard much about it since it hit EA but was interested in it as well and remember a goon saying it's extremely the same game as Zig 1 in a not-so-great way and felt pretty uninspired. That was months ago and I never tried it myself but I de-wishlisted it because it sounded pretty meh unfortunately.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Man I did not care for the shooting in Ziggurat 1. It felt like you were flinging glitter at everything and they reacted by blinking red.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

About ten years ago. Pretty sure they were already like that when I registered.

They were like that from the moment they existed. Those are the original codes for those two smileys.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Google sure are deepening those business relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zereth posted:

They were like that from the moment they existed. Those are the original codes for those two smileys.

Yeah I really vaguely remember a thread from near when I registered where people were talking about the smiley, submitting designs, etc, and then as a joke somebody beat them to the punch and bought the smilies but with the names swapped to annoy them.