Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aruan posted:

just to further show how absurd doge is: there is a doge billionaire - on paper at least.

doge will rise as high as the big holders will allow it to before they start unloading significant positions, which will crash the market.

Bought some yesterday, sold today, made 500 bucks. Weeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
holy gently caress Dogecoin, did Elon do a tweet again

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
A few days ago I bought 10 dogecoins at .0472 and then immediately set a limit sell at .05 which executed a little later. I should have held. This is the worst investment decision I ever made!

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

might as well throw some cash into the moon before the alleged superbowl ad that's supposed to air

edit: gonna lmao if there actually is an ad

Macnult fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 8, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

No, snoop is now known as SNOOP DOGE

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Dogecoins add >5 billion more every year, which makes it inflationary. Not steeply so, but still inflationary, contrary to most other cryptos work. It's designed intentionally to keep its own price low (so it could reasonably be used as a currency), rather than a speculative model. It can only even just maintain its value if demand constantly increases. The rate of increasing demand has to outstrip the rate of added supply over time for its value to actually go up, and that is only going to happen on short-term twitter meme basis.

Don't make long-term bets on dogecoin you idiots. If you must play with it, buy it on upswing momentum and sell as soon as you guess it's at a short-term top.

poo poo. Thanks for this. I had thrown in $100, and after seeing it double was thinking about putting in non-play money. This is a good reality check. I’ll hold what I’ve got but I’m not putting any more in.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So the top address for Doge has 36 BILLION Doge in it.

How many of those could actually be unloaded before the price tanked to nothing?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Still Dismal posted:

poo poo. Thanks for this. I had thrown in $100, and after seeing it double was thinking about putting in non-play money. This is a good reality check. I’ll hold what I’ve got but I’m not putting any more in.

How do you need a forums post to tell you that a not-bitcoin named dogecoin should not be seen as a good investment

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do I short doge coin

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Vlonald Prump posted:

holy gently caress Dogecoin, did Elon do a tweet again

Everyone cashed out of GME and immediately bought into dodgecoin lmao

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I chased it during the last peak and bought in at 7.8 cents, looking forward to mooning or losing my $125.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
At work and only able to check in on the game once in a while, did Lucid run their "Apple Macintosh" ad yet?

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Elysium posted:

So the top address for Doge has 36 BILLION Doge in it.

How many of those could actually be unloaded before the price tanked to nothing?

every single one of the top addresses is slowly dumping doge every day. you see it run up and then drop on the dumps.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Imagine watching your money evaporate on worthless doge because the richest man in the world tweeted a meme instead of, like, buying a PS5. Or a game. Or just setting a $100 bill on fire on Tiktok

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

pmchem posted:

How do I short doge coin

My friend shorted Bitcoin via a futures derivative back in the day maybe there’s something similar?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I want a physical doge coin worth 1 doge coin. How do I do that?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
That was an easy 100, bailed as soon as it went back down just a little.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

I want a physical doge coin worth 1 doge coin. How do I do that?

Draw a doge on a penny and wait a while

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

How do you need a forums post to tell you that a not-bitcoin named dogecoin should not be seen as a good investment

I mean, I would have done more googling, and was never going to put my life savings into it, I’m not that irresponsible. But the money I put in so far was gains from the GME hysteria, and I was considering putting in money that wasn’t what I considered just essentially gambling profits in is what I meant by ‘non-play’ money.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 8, 2021

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I almost doubled my Predictitt money by guessing that Trump would win Texas and that he wouldn't self pardon. Genius, I know.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Aruan posted:

every single one of the top addresses is slowly dumping doge every day. you see it run up and then drop on the dumps.

Yeah sell a million Doge here a million there, sure.

The question is can you sell a billion Doge.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Elysium posted:

Yeah sell a million Doge here a million there, sure.

The question is can you sell a billion Doge.

pretty much like this, but instead of it it's a guy clicking a mouse a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D7KVozqRvk&t=31s

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Red posted:

Just doing a quick search on a few major automakers and their current stock prices:

GM: 54.41
Toyota: 150.86
Volkswagen: 21.88
Daimler: 20.12
Ford: 11.51

Toyota just overtook VW as the world's biggest auto manufacturer, so I get it. GM is putting a lot into EVs, but is having supply issues. I have little faith in Ford, and don't know enough about Daimler. Maybe Volkswagen is worth gambling on?

I got burned by VW on 2 TDI diesels so gently caress them. I've got F and GM right now with some long calls and shares.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Red posted:

Just doing a quick search on a few major automakers and their current stock prices:

GM: 54.41
Toyota: 150.86
Volkswagen: 21.88
Daimler: 20.12
Ford: 11.51

Toyota just overtook VW as the world's biggest auto manufacturer, so I get it. GM is putting a lot into EVs, but is having supply issues. I have little faith in Ford, and don't know enough about Daimler. Maybe Volkswagen is worth gambling on?

why are you making this decision on share price and not other metrics like market cap

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I only buy expensive shares

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

please knock Mom! posted:

I only buy expensive shares

And sell them for less, it's the American way

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/julieverhage/status/1358758195385237504

I'm starting to think michael burry is very right to be short on tesla

what possible business justification does tesla have for how bitcoin will be used with their products

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

pmchem posted:

what possible business justification does tesla have for how bitcoin will be used with their products

don't corporations invest in securities all the time though? if tesla buys a bunch of bitcoin, the news will make the price go up, they make money

i mean it just flew up 10% on that news

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Can we keep crypto talk out if the stock thread, please?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Avian Pneumonia posted:

if you don't think this affects TSLA's stock price you should go look at a pre-market chart right now

in general I agree with you on doge chat, but now we see why elon has been pumping crypto. it was a set up for this news

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

There's "crypto talk" and there's "holy gently caress the richest man in the world is pumping crypto like mad"-talk.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/julieverhage/status/1358758195385237504

My dude have you heard of MSTR?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
These is no way the will not turn sour somehow

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I was already excited for Tether pumping and dumping to take down bitcoin, but if it takes down TSLA and MSTR, the more the merrier

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Aruan posted:

a few of the bigger named hedge fund longs are very, very bullish on GM. the argument is that GM's share price doesn't reflect their self driving technology (which is quite advanced), and once we start seeing more implementation this will change. steve eisman in particular has argued that within a few years GM's self driving tech will be worth more than the entire company.

Having gotten my bachelor's degree at what used to be GM's private engineering and management institute and seen their mechanical engineering student quality... I have my doubts.

Ninja edit:
Can anyone help me interpret the GOOGLEFINANCE sheets function?

Is yieldpct to be interpreted as 186%? Because the S&P500 hasn't doubled in the last twelve months. But it also hasn't gone up by less then 2%.

And returns is dollars per unit or something?

If I wanted to analyze VFIAX in terms of an income generator how would I do this with the function?

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 8, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

pmchem posted:

why are you making this decision on share price and not other metrics like market cap

If GME has taught us anything it is that share price is the only useful information that is available to traders.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This reminds me when overstock was accidentally selling things for bit coins instead of dollars because internet is hard when they were worth less then a dollar, and if they had kept them bitcoins they could just stop selling things.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

If GME has taught us anything it is that share price is the only useful information that is available to traders.
price rules everything around me PREAM

pschoy
Mar 2, 2009
Walking up with my 1 bitcoin. I'll take 1 Tesla please :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I'm out of my AMC position, but why is it tanking so much compared to the other meme stocks?