Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not just the characteristics of the tag that help the other titles though, it's that some countries start big and strong, some suck, some start weak but get thicc buffs if they can survive, etc. Stellaris falls apart because regardless of anything else, everyone starts at the same power level. There's no equivalent choice of playing France vs playing Dithmarschen.

since launch theres been advanced ai starts and the fallen empires which are pretty exactly this though. you can absolutely start next to "france" as "dith" and if that "france" is an expansionist or otherwise aggro empire theyll happily just eat you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

gently caress off Batman posted:

I agree, but I was talking about something else. You know how in that Star Trek mod New Horizons you can choose an epoch that you start in. If you choose to play as humans in the earliest start, Earth is a small and unimportant backwater, while the Dominion is already an Empire. And if you take TNG start, Earth is a capitol of a big fat Federation. The galaxy map is always the same depending on a start date, with all the races in play depending on the previous star trek lore. Now of course, star trek is half a century old show so it's got a considerable head start, but I think Paradox can find some good sci-fi writers and make something similar with their Stellaris universe.

I think this is a thing that Stellaris was always going to struggle with because when you're going in to a pre-established setting (either a popular fictional one like Trek or just a historical setting like the other Paradox games), people come in with pre-existing context for who the factions are and what it would mean to play as them. Working from an entirely original setting it creates extra barriers to bring people on board because you have to do a bunch of work up front just to inform people what the deal with your setting even is and frontloading big lore dumps just so people can understand what's going on is one of the worst sci-fi tropes.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah I know I went on a bit of a tangent. It's just so weird that they didn't just not have preset maps, they actually put in extra effort to nerf the impact of preset races. Surely it would have been less effort to leave the buttons in. It's crazy.

To specifically address your post there's a novel (own it due to a bundle, should really read it) and a bunch of implied lore from release trailers so they wouldn't even be starting from scratch. They could easily have a "canon" timeline with a bunch of preset maps but they seem to really really not want to do that.

Yeah, I was also deep in my own tangent and glossed over yours, but I do agree, preset races not having that button is so weird, and we're talking about almost 5 year old game, with gazillion patches and DLCs. And apparently "gazillion" is a proper word now, so I know weird.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gently caress off Batman posted:

Yeah, I was also deep in my own tangent and glossed over yours, but I do agree, preset races not having that button is so weird, and we're talking about almost 5 year old game, with gazillion patches and DLCs. And apparently "gazillion" is a proper word now, so I know weird.
Gazillionaire was a good game. I just realised their dlc model kills preset maps though. Just Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, and the rock/plant packs means 16 possible combos of what races are and are not available, never mind DLC gated civics.

e: though maybe if you lack the required DLC it spins up a random?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 8, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Gazillionaire was a good game. I just realised their dlc model kills preset maps though. Just Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, and the rock/plant packs means 16 possible combos of what races are and are not available, never mind DLC gated civics.

e: though maybe if you lack the required DLC it spins up a random?

If they were handling it the way as other games they'd probably just make DLC restricted content unplayable but still have them available as AI empires.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stux posted:

since launch theres been advanced ai starts and the fallen empires which are pretty exactly this though. you can absolutely start next to "france" as "dith" and if that "france" is an expansionist or otherwise aggro empire theyll happily just eat you

yeah, advanced ai starts have been there since the beginning, aiming to create that same kinda final boss dynamic. i'm not sure it works; it's hard to tell who got an advanced start unless you scout them early on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also the thing is when you pick someone like France or Ottomans vs someone like Dithmarschen or Nivkh, you know what you're in for. That's a bit different from "oops I spawned next to this galaxy's blob, gotta reroll"

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Do you both have avatar avatars that is so weird

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grevlek posted:

Do you both have avatar avatars that is so weird

it's a thing from a thread in SFWF

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's a good movie, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

the naavi are precious beings

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
It's just so weird because it made a billion dollars but it's vanished from the zeitgeist so quickly. Was a fine movie I just thought it was weird "there is no way the two people who were like "yes I love avatar" are talking in this thread"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I guess you could kind of finagle it with enough advanced starts and a small enough galaxy size that you can see people quickly enough, but the strength of the difference in country sizes in EU4 is that there's dozens of nations counterbalancing each other and for you to do diplomacy with; even if you're weak, you can negotiate with powers that aren't, or gobble up a bunch of comparably-sized powers to build your strength. It's a really different dynamic in Stellaris since there are so many fewer tags and you don't get to see enough of them at once to even really do proper negotiations; I don't think advanced starts are much of a substitute, really.

The parts of the map in EU4 with a dearth of tags (e.g. East Asia) also suck, for not totally dissimilar reasons.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grevlek posted:

It's just so weird because it made a billion dollars but it's vanished from the zeitgeist so quickly. Was a fine movie I just thought it was weird "there is no way the two people who were like "yes I love avatar" are talking in this thread"

i don't actually have any strong feelings about avatar but i posted in the thread

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

I guess you could kind of finagle it with enough advanced starts and a small enough galaxy size that you can see people quickly enough, but the strength of the difference in country sizes in EU4 is that there's dozens of nations counterbalancing each other and for you to do diplomacy with; even if you're weak, you can negotiate with powers that aren't, or gobble up a bunch of comparably-sized powers to build your strength. It's a really different dynamic in Stellaris since there are so many fewer tags and you don't get to see enough of them at once to even really do proper negotiations; I don't think advanced starts are much of a substitute, really.

The parts of the map in EU4 with a dearth of tags (e.g. East Asia) also suck, for not totally dissimilar reasons.
Correct me if this has changed, but the basic setup of Stellaris is basically that there are two generations of states right? Fallen Empires and then the generation the player is part of. And that FTL travel is what triggered expansion outside their own system. How about mixing that up a little? You could have:

- Broken empires, those who got off their planet earlier but at some point fell apart, leaving a cluster of smaller states to interact with.
- A species that expanded pre-FTL and seeded a bunch of systems with their civilization, but not as a united entity.
- Planet States, where a species has colonized its system but not in a united fashion.
- Planet/System States that simply haven't got FTL tech, but do have insane tech otherwise that basically make them able to stand up to huge empires on the defense.

Hell, maybe some species/ideologies are just quarrelsome, and their expansion across the stars is triggered by unhappy citizens setting up a new state in another system until that state too has too many rebels who set off to do their own thing, creating a rapidly expanding area of individually weak states.

The fact that we're talking about sci-fi races and nonhistorical events gives Paradox a lot of freedom to come up with a wide variety of approaches to "history" and politics, even ones that make little in terms of what we know from human history, as long as a species/trait/ideology is somewhat internally consistent and sensible in how it approaches the world. Like, isn't that the core strength (and weakness) of the setting? You don't have anything that anchors the player in the world like knowledge of history, but you instead have the freedom to explore any mechanic you can think of, with the only goal being that they must be either interesting to play as or against.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah I know I went on a bit of a tangent. It's just so weird that they didn't just not have preset maps, they actually put in extra effort to nerf the impact of preset races. Surely it would have been less effort to leave the buttons in. It's crazy.

To specifically address your post there's a novel (own it due to a bundle, should really read it) and a bunch of implied lore from release trailers so they wouldn't even be starting from scratch. They could easily have a "canon" timeline with a bunch of preset maps but they seem to really really not want to do that. e: oh wait their DLC model kills this maybe

Well the former you can fudge by manually recreating the preset races and setting them to always spawn but again the baffling thing is why is it like that in the first place???

It’s actually slightly easier than that because you can select a preset empire, choose to edit them, then just save them again without changing anything to get the buttons.

This doesn’t actually change your point which I totally agree with, i just thought I should point it out in case you wanted to fight a preset empire without manually recreating them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah, advanced ai starts have been there since the beginning, aiming to create that same kinda final boss dynamic. i'm not sure it works; it's hard to tell who got an advanced start unless you scout them early on.

as with most of stellaris's game mechanics, your experience with advanced AI will depend strongly on the density of AI empires. at max settings, the advanced start empires are pretty obvious - they're the ones that actually survive long-term as expansionist powers or sufficiently scary pacifists. chances are that if you're fighting a powerful foe, they had an advanced start.

so in a sense it works, but it just doesn't have the gravitas of fighting the ottomans, particularly since there is only one kind of advanced start and it is only a moderate boost.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I find that an AI that lucks into eating a neighbor is indistinguishable from an advanced start. But they just don't really have any personality either way.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Grevlek posted:

It's just so weird because (Avatar) made a billion dollars but it's vanished from the zeitgeist so quickly. Was a fine movie I just thought it was weird "there is no way the two people who were like "yes I love avatar" are talking in this thread"

I think it's because while the effects were good and it was generally competently made, Dances With Wolves has already been ripped off a number of times already (and pretty recently too), so it's not like it really adds anything to the zeitgeist.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
dances with wolves is my favorite paradox game

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the thing is when you pick someone like France or Ottomans vs someone like Dithmarschen or Nivkh, you know what you're in for. That's a bit different from "oops I spawned next to this galaxy's blob, gotta reroll"

I haven't played stellaris in about a year but isn't there an option at map generation that determines if you spawn right next to an advanced empire or not? Or does it just determine that all the empires are evenly spaced out?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Red Bones posted:

I haven't played stellaris in about a year but isn't there an option at map generation that determines if you spawn right next to an advanced empire or not? Or does it just determine that all the empires are evenly spaced out?

yes

I reinstalled because of this thread and again annoyed you can't set custom auto pauses

like, who demanded the ability to miss selecting new research?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yes

I reinstalled because of this thread and again annoyed you can't set custom auto pauses

like, who demanded the ability to miss selecting new research?
Another frustration of mine with stellaris: research has a neat thing where if you gain a chunk of research it doesn't just immediately dump into your completed pile, it gets put into a bank. Then as you research it draws from the bank on a 1:1 basis with actual research. So if you have 250 society banked and are researching 50 society month you get 100 a month for 5 months. If you miss selecting a research your "wasted" research goes into the same bank, so not getting around to picking new research for a few months doesn't actually penalise you.

This cool backlog bank system is super neat and is used in the following other parts of the game:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Cease to Hope posted:

I find that an AI that lucks into eating a neighbor is indistinguishable from an advanced start. But they just don't really have any personality either way.

That's a big problem. With the rigged start of EU4 or even CK3 you can't help but see personality in nations behavior. Stellaris empires differ a lot on paper but behave in the same way unless they're fallen empire or exterminators. Their ethics are only important for initial reaction.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grevlek posted:

Come with me, friend. Experience Eywa.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Splicer posted:

Another frustration of mine with stellaris: research has a neat thing where if you gain a chunk of research it doesn't just immediately dump into your completed pile, it gets put into a bank. Then as you research it draws from the bank on a 1:1 basis with actual research. So if you have 250 society banked and are researching 50 society month you get 100 a month for 5 months. If you miss selecting a research your "wasted" research goes into the same bank, so not getting around to picking new research for a few months doesn't actually penalise you.

This cool backlog bank system is super neat and is used in the following other parts of the game:

It's not really relevant elsewhere though? Unity is a number that stacks infinitely that you can spend chunks of for effects, influence/energy/minerals/food/alloys/etc. are all pools with a cap that fill up or drain at various rates. Admin cap is a moment to moment thing based on # of jobs employed.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Splicer posted:

wait, it saves the points? that's so dumb, missing the prompt makes me feel bad, I thought the constant stress was part of building engagement

if they had explained the bank, I would have had way less stress over the years!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

That's a big problem. With the rigged start of EU4 or even CK3 you can't help but see personality in nations behavior. Stellaris empires differ a lot on paper but behave in the same way unless they're fallen empire or exterminators. Their ethics are only important for initial reaction.

Yeah it does kind of bug me that ethics have such a small impact on gameplay overall. Both in terms of how empires relate to each other, and internal management itself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirk the Average posted:

It's not really relevant elsewhere though? Unity is a number that stacks infinitely that you can spend chunks of for effects, influence/energy/minerals/food/alloys/etc. are all pools with a cap that fill up or drain at various rates. Admin cap is a moment to moment thing based on # of jobs employed.
If you look at techs as "large projects that consume resources" then a few uses come to mind. Terraforming for example; if you switched it to a per-month energy drain rather than an all upfront cost you could have events or optional spends to bank terraforming points. Same for megastructures; move them to a per-month cost during the build process and replace the living metal edict with the ability to spend living metal to buy megastructure points.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Splicer posted:

If you look at techs as "large projects that consume resources" then a few uses come to mind. Terraforming for example; if you switched it to a per-month energy drain rather than an all upfront cost you could have events or optional spends to bank terraforming points. Same for megastructures; move them to a per-month cost during the build process and replace the living metal edict with the ability to spend living metal to buy megastructure points.

Oh, certainly, and I would absolutely love things like that to be changed. Hell, I'd be more than happy with all up front costs to be replaced with costs over time, but that can make it hard for players to understand when running a deficit is okay.

Even better for megastructures would be that idea that gets bandied about every so often where they become actual colonies and you have worker jobs that build them over time. It'd remove the oddity of ring worlds not having anyone on them when they're complete too, as the workers could just become residents.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1039773302317875201

I feel like this is the point where it gets too real.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1039773302317875201

I feel like this is the point where it gets too real.
It only gets too real when they suggest Merkel should play HoI.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Why did they use a ck2 screenshot...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Why did they use a ck2 screenshot...

because ck3 wasn't out in 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lum_ posted:

because ck3 wasn't out in 2018

Ah, yes, the linear passage of time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im gettin p horned up for marius update right now. I've got my peter brown and my historical atlases and it's gonna be messy. I'm gonna try and turn thrake into a balkan powerhouse for my first playthrough i think

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

im gettin p horned up for marius update right now. I've got my peter brown and my historical atlases and it's gonna be messy. I'm gonna try and turn thrake into a balkan powerhouse for my first playthrough i think
Is... is this a Imperator post?!?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am pretty excited for this to drop as well. Some tutorials are coming out on the update.

https://youtu.be/lhBBZHbRLE8

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

V for Vegas posted:

I am pretty excited for this to drop as well. Some tutorials are coming out on the update.

https://youtu.be/lhBBZHbRLE8

I did not know this, thanks for the link! This will be helpful, it's been a long time since I launched this game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is... is this a Imperator post?!?

It might be actually good this time! It does at least now look like a sequel to EU: Rome rather than a port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve been getting into the history of trade empires and the dynamics of power that has less to do
with conquest and more to do with concentrating wealth (though, obviously, a lot of conquest was happening too). That’s the best Grand Strategy to play around with this?

CK2 with Republic DLC? EU IV as Venice or England or Netherlands? Stellaris (I know little about Stellaris). I presume not HOI and not Imperator but could be wrong.