Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dragonball is weird in that it has a button that makes death toothless but it needs drama so it has to figure a way around it.

The Buu sagas solution was to pretends the dragon balls aren’t a thing when it’s more dramatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dragonball is weird in that it has a button that makes death toothless but it needs drama so it has to figure a way around it.

The Buu sagas solution was to pretends the dragon balls aren’t a thing when it’s more dramatic

Characters kept saying 'I will wish you back' after each dramatic event, so it kinda loses its sting after a bit.
Heck at one point Gotenks just stops caring about collateral damage because the damage can always be fixed later.. (except Picollo then points out that the dragonballs could be destroyed too)

Buu's planet extinction attack was still pretty cool. (and as a whole that arc was disjointedly gruesome/comedic)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cleretic posted:

I'd best describe the general message of most Gundam being 'war is bad, but we get it'. A good Gundam completely understands the personal levels to why people fight in wars, and while it has no respect for the people that start them or the people who do awful things like draft children into robot fights, it empathizes with the people who have to fight them. And part of that is 'wow cool robot', there's a respect for both the appeal of advanced war machines and the work that goes into them.

Iron Blooded Orphans is a good example of this. Literal child soldiers getting involved in a massive war of independence, initially because fighting is all they're good at. It really shows how they develop as people while trying (and often failing) to survive some of the most brutal fights in a Gundam series.

It's kind of a depression bomb, with how many horrible things happen across the series (a lot performed by the protagonists).

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Iron Blooded Orphans also has the additional layer of all forms of child exploitation and abuse; child soldiers, slaves, and even a rich girl used as a political pawn and married off to a man in his 30s. It's a good show but very grim.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Iron blooded orphans remains the only Gundam ive seen.

It was really bad.

SPACE DEBRIS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DeafNote posted:

(and as a whole that arc was disjointedly gruesome/comedic)

That at least was kinda fitting when your big bad guy is literally a godlike manchild with a short attention span and prone to wild personality changes depending on who he's absorbed lately. (vs turned into candy and literally eaten)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fartknocker posted:

From the beginning of that disc or the whole show? Cause the whole series is only 49 episodes...

Just the disc. The show just stopped registering with me right when it should be getting more and more exciting leading to a big finish.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Iron blooded orphans remains the only Gundam ive seen.

It was really bad.

SPACE DEBRIS

I watched the first season and couldn't get over my distaste for pretty much all the main characters to continue to the second

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
IBO is a really good show and the Barbatos is a really loving cool mech

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Well one of the central conceits of Dragonball is that the titular Dragonballs can raise the dead, yeah that's limited to once a year but it kinda trivializes the idea of death as a consequence or impediment. Like all those people Vegeta killed in the Buu Saga? All back to life. Hell, Buu killed literally every human being on Earth and they were all fine the next day. Goku was only dead at the time because the last time he died and someone tried to bring him back he refused. This works to make Vegeta's Bad Dad habits (committing massacres) a bit more mild, while making Goku's absentee dad schtick less excusable.

Earth's Dragonballs can only bring somebody back to life once. To bring Goku back after Cell they'd have to do another space trip to New Namek and use theirs (and they don't even know where New Namek is), so Goku chimed in to tell them not to bother.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Guys look I’m sorry but Dragonball, however violent/whatever, is for babies. It’s fine. Talking about things that don’t make sense in it or whatever is pointless. Even speaking about what a character is thinking or feeling in a given moment is imo a completely meaningless endeavour. It’s fine yall. It’s fine.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dragon's balls pee

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Even speaking about what a character is thinking or feeling in a given moment is imo a completely meaningless endeavour.

So is everything else.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm probably about 2/3rd or halfway through rewatching the old The Mask cartoon and there is a lot of 90s stereotyping that's pretty cringe, which is a shame because there are great individual jokes in those episodes or character interactions that get dragged down by the Mask doing an asian accent or a stereotypical island nation group of people - like the Island Nation episode has a great moment where the Mask is flying them to the island in their plane (they thought he'd stood up their invitation but he'd become the pilot to do a bit) and he makes a goof where he leaves the cockpit to eat lunch claiming that his "copilot" will take things from there, where it then cuts to Milo struggling to control the Yoke, terrified. He relieves Milo after a few seconds, berating him for being a terrible pilot and Milo gets pissed off at him, and when he says he wants to take the wheel, Milo rips the wheel off the yoke and gives it to The Mask giving him a look of "You really thought that was funny fuckboi?THAT WAS TERRIFYING! Fine, let's see how you like losing control of a situation. good luck with your cartoon physics rear end in a top hat!" basically putting the Mask on the spot the same way he just did to him. I love that aspect of the character, that even his closest allies can get tired of his poo poo because he's exhausting and a bad friend.

It just gets dragged down by the rest of the episode being so loving rote with it's stereotypes. At least some episodes get weird enough to still be entertaining with it, like a Faux-french thief where the joke was he was clearly a chinese guy trying to do a french accent through his chinese one, so while it's randomly racist to two cultures at once you can at least respect that it's doing SOMETHING with it. Also he only existed for 5 minutes of the show so didn't outstay his welcome.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like Dragon Ball overall but I don't think the individual elements hold up very well. Also, Rock The Dragon is awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Guys look I’m sorry but Dragonball, however violent/whatever, is for babies. It’s fine. Talking about things that don’t make sense in it or whatever is pointless. Even speaking about what a character is thinking or feeling in a given moment is imo a completely meaningless endeavour. It’s fine yall. It’s fine.

90% of the stuff mentioned in this thread is for babies.

The rest is for preteens

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The only thing I know about Gundam aside from the giant transforming statue is the Yamata department store in Ikebukuro in Tokyo has an entire floor dedicated to Gundam

We were shopping for new headphones for my husband and went to see it because of the sign in the elevator

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I like Dragon Ball overall but I don't think the individual elements hold up very well. Also, Rock The Dragon is awful.

:mods:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Behold, the wrongest opinion ever to be opined on these forums!

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Picnic Princess posted:

The only thing I know about Gundam aside from the giant transforming statue is the Yamata department store in Ikebukuro in Tokyo has an entire floor dedicated to Gundam

We were shopping for new headphones for my husband and went to see it because of the sign in the elevator

Why are the ones in the back refrigerated?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A random thought that struck me yesterday:

Strong Bad has aged poorly, mostly because of his specific flavor of sexism. However every other character in Homestar Runner has aged great, and time has only proved that the coolest cast member is Strong Sad, and perhaps always has been.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

plainswalker75 posted:

Why are the ones in the back refrigerated?
They're the cool ones, duh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

A random thought that struck me yesterday:

Strong Bad has aged poorly, mostly because of his specific flavor of sexism. However every other character in Homestar Runner has aged great, and time has only proved that the coolest cast member is Strong Sad, and perhaps always has been.

Homestar Runner has aged pretty poorly because it was built using flash.

I bet Newgrounds is a mess now too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Homestar Runner has aged pretty poorly because it was built using flash.

I bet Newgrounds is a mess now too.

There's a Flash emulator project that's good enough to keep a lot of stuff working, the H*R site uses it by default now

e.g. the very first strongbad email: https://homestarrunner.com/sbemails/1-some-kinda-robot

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I will fight you over this song and play this song while we fight and win because this song loving rules.

Calico Heart posted:

That's just a hair overstating it. There is just enough meat on Dragonball's bones to read between the lines and make for a decent experience... but you're right that it's the 5-piece Chicken Nuggets of entertainment-- if that's the basis for your diet you're gonna have a really warped view of nutrition.

Cleretic posted:

I'd best describe the general message of most Gundam being 'war is bad, but we get it'. A good Gundam completely understands the personal levels to why people fight in wars, and while it has no respect for the people that start them or the people who do awful things like draft children into robot fights, it empathizes with the people who have to fight them. And part of that is 'wow cool robot', there's a respect for both the appeal of advanced war machines and the work that goes into them.
You're not wrong but any children's show that lives on "the hypocrisy is intentional" is never going to sit right.

Cleretic posted:

Performative sexism never works out in the long run, does it?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im the captain of the gravy train

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I grew up on the Spanish dub of DBZ's theme (which is just the Japanese theme sung in Spanish because Mexico has been closet weebs ever since they were first exposed to Senorita Cometa in the 70s), and digging up the english theme i have to say that the dragon buttrock is so dumb it wraps around and become a fun and appropriate theme for the show, I don't know what you haters are on about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DBZ has an absolutely gigantic latin american and generally nonwhite fanbase.

No one's going to try to tell you Rock the Dragon is legitimately good (at least I hope so) but it was cheesy, wild and got people pumped up for a show that none of them had ever seen the like of before.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mind the walrus posted:

You're not wrong but any children's show that lives on "the hypocrisy is intentional" is never going to sit right.

Yeah, it might be part of why Gundam initially flopped when it was positioned as a children's show. They realized it was popular among older audiences who can understand what it's going for, pitched it towards them, and it went much better.

The original series is kind of a wild watch for exactly that reason, though. There wasn't really anything like 'adult animation' at the time, so it's telling a proper war story in an artstyle that wouldn't look out of place next to Scooby-Doo. And it gets weirdly dark by the end (when I presume they realized kids weren't watching anymore), so you get to watch that same animation style depict someone get decapitated by sniper round.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love Cha-La Head-Cha-La so much. It's not entirely nostalgia either because I only ever heard it after the new movies started up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Feb 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I know it from Dragon Ball Abridged, which is kinda meta.

The English theme for Dragon Ball is weird. It gives vibes of a Japanese intro hastily translated into English complete with kinda weird lyrics, ('fantastic journey full of thrilling mystery'??) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was invented entirely for the dub.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I know it's not Z but I think Romantic Ageru Yo is a cute and fun song.

And also original Dragonball > Z.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know it from Dragon Ball Abridged, which is kinda meta.

The English theme for Dragon Ball is weird. It gives vibes of a Japanese intro hastily translated into English complete with kinda weird lyrics, ('fantastic journey full of thrilling mystery'??) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was invented entirely for the dub.

Nah, the English theme for Dragon Ball is exactly what you said first: A Japanese intro hastily translated into English.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I love Cha-La Head-Cha-La so much. It's not entirely nostalgia either because I only ever heard it after the new movies started up.

I've had this stuck in my head since the dbz chat started, and I couldn't remember what it was called or what the lyrics were other than CHA-la-HEAD-cha-LA, so thank you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah, the English theme for Dragon Ball is exactly what you said first: A Japanese intro hastily translated into English.

Ahh, there we go. A lot of anime intros get weird treatments since they're basically barely related pop songs, and so the dubs that translate them sometimes just turn them at least partly into western style expository theme tunes.

hyperhazard posted:

I've had this stuck in my head since the dbz chat started, and I couldn't remember what it was called or what the lyrics were other than CHA-la-HEAD-cha-LA, so thank you.

The Dragon Ball Super: Broly version actually just has that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Anpanman is better than Dragon Ball.

Baikinman could beat up Vegeta.

Goku is lame because his head is not a bun of any kind.

I will die on all three of these hills.

edit: As proof of my claims, please accept the theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErpuMHceL4

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Don Gato posted:

I grew up on the Spanish dub of DBZ's theme (which is just the Japanese theme sung in Spanish because Mexico has been closet weebs ever since they were first exposed to Senorita Cometa in the 70s), and digging up the english theme i have to say that the dragon buttrock is so dumb it wraps around and become a fun and appropriate theme for the show, I don't know what you haters are on about.

I was already going to post this to entice that hater but you said this first so I have to quote you.

https://youtu.be/2U_jhpDRooo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

Anpanman is better than Dragon Ball.

Baikinman could beat up Vegeta.

Goku is lame because his head is not a bun of any kind.

I will die on all three of these hills.

edit: As proof of my claims, please accept the theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErpuMHceL4

Anpanman is loving wild when you realise it's what One-Punch Man is primarily riffing on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ahh, there we go. A lot of anime intros get weird treatments since they're basically barely related pop songs, and so the dubs that translate them sometimes just turn them at least partly into western style expository theme tunes.

The Dragon Ball Super: Broly version actually just has that.

I feel like that was a thing more in the 90s nowadays OP songs are an industry to themselves with a lot of groups basically revolving their whole career around making the OP songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like that was a thing more in the 90s nowadays OP songs are an industry to themselves with a lot of groups basically revolving their whole career around making the OP songs

OSTs (original sound tracks) seem like a massive business now.

I know in Korea, a lot of artists want to get to a sing a show's theme because it's one of the few things they can do where they'll actually get paid.