Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's be honest, for them "sex and violence intersecting in any way" can include anything up to just about "being featured separately in completely different parts of the same game" :v:. For context, the "sex and violence intersecting in any way" R18+ Hammer has been brought down on things like "Someone groped a titty in an anime RPG game. Once. In a cutscene. In a 30/50 hour game".

Wikipedia | Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland posted:

The Vita version was localized in Europe and North America as Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland Plus, and released on March 20, 2013 as a digital download on the PlayStation Network. It was given no official announcement, with the only clue being an R18+ rating that appeared on the Australian Classification Board's website.[5] This was a huge jump from the PS3 version's PG rating with the reason for the rating being "mild violence and infrequent coarse language", while the given reason for the R18+ rating being "references to sexual violence".[11] In North America, the game received a T for Teen (ages 13+) rating while it received a B (ages 12+) rating in Japan, a 12 rating in South Korea, and a 12 rating in Europe.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's be honest, for them "sex and violence intersecting in any way" can include anything up to just about "being featured separately in completely different parts of the same game" :v:. For context, the "sex and violence intersecting in any way" R18+ Hammer has been brought down on things like "Someone groped a titty in an anime RPG game. Once. In a cutscene. In a 30/50 hour game".

yeah. its like loving witcher 3. there is sex and tits but most of the tits are tits on monsters or some in cutscenes. but you can slice apart bandits and monsters in chunks too. i guess that doesnt show penatration?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Of course! You've got to be on guard for that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I still remember BMXXX being outright banned because if you were good at video games you could see a low-res boob.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Something I read recently mentioned that in the UK (or maybe it's just England specificially) that late-night televised content either shows way more explicit stuff than you see in the US or it's aired at an earlier hour or something (I don't remember what it was exactly).

I guess it just comes down to who's in charge of is and isn't allowed.

There's the watershed, which is 21:00. After that there's no real limits on what can be shown.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

RareAcumen posted:

Of course! You've got to be on guard for that

I was going to post this, but I was worried someone would yell at me for it.

Karloff posted:

There's the watershed, which is 21:00. After that there's no real limits on what can be shown.

I remember reading about the broadcasting watershed briefly a while back, in relation to some movie that aired on TV.

The US has it too, but even then, I can't really think of a lot that's real raunchy or ultra-violent that airs late at night. (Granted, I don't know of everything that airs on TV in the US). The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Adult Swim.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I still remember BMXXX being outright banned because if you were good at video games you could see a low-res boob.

It's weird that all of our ratings boards seem to have come to the agreement that a lady's nipple will cause more irreparable harm than of our sick incredible thoroughly researched PTSD-in-developer-inducing simulated video game murders. :thunk:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds of new life to poison the earth, but the gun shoots death to purify it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ghostlight posted:

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds of new life to poison the earth, but the gun shoots death to purify it.

Laughing thinking about Sean Connery's super weird costume he wore in that movie which was straight out of a fanservicy anime

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vagabundo posted:

The OFLC usually publishes a summary of their decisions. Here's why Saving Private Ryan got a specially created R15 instead of its original R16:

They're also incredibly open and accessible (they regularly attend the Media Teachers' conference that happens every other year and hold Professional Development sessions, for example). They key thing is that they consider the creator's intent, the context, and the likelihood for "harm."

I don't exactly buy that a 16 year old is more emotionally equipped to process Saving Private Ryan than a 15 year old is. :shrug:

Granted, I'm somebody who thinks ratings should be simplified, not made more complex. Honestly imo the PG-13 rating should be done away with and in the states movies should just be G, PG, R (I know NC-17 exists but nobody actually touches that rating). G means you can take anybody to it, PG means you probably shouldn't take young kids to it but a teenager will be fine, R means it's for adults and if you are really okay with your kid watching it then you can sit there with them while they do it. The MPAA already gives nice and easy blurbs along with their ratings like "swearing" or "partial nudity" or "full nudity" etc, and that's generally viewable when you look up the listing for a movie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

R15 is an unusual rating - it's usually R13 then R16. There is no specific rule on what the difference between R15 and R16 is, it's all subjective. Saving Private Ryan got a lower rating because it was decided that the depicted violence was both historical and important to the story, and it did not glorify the war or serving in the army, something that might be desirable to expose a teenager to before they turn 16 and can enrol, but still possibly too shocking for an average 13 year old to process.

There is the simpler rating system of G, PG, and M. The R ratings here are not guidance for who the movie is suitable for due to the content it contains -they are legal restrictions, and that is why they are more stratified.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does Australia still have the problems with videogame ratings where any positive drug use gives it their version of AO?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

I don't exactly buy that a 16 year old is more emotionally equipped to process Saving Private Ryan than a 15 year old is. :shrug:

Granted, I'm somebody who thinks ratings should be simplified, not made more complex. Honestly imo the PG-13 rating should be done away with and in the states movies should just be G, PG, R (I know NC-17 exists but nobody actually touches that rating). G means you can take anybody to it, PG means you probably shouldn't take young kids to it but a teenager will be fine, R means it's for adults and if you are really okay with your kid watching it then you can sit there with them while they do it. The MPAA already gives nice and easy blurbs along with their ratings like "swearing" or "partial nudity" or "full nudity" etc, and that's generally viewable when you look up the listing for a movie.

It works like this: Until you're 16 years minus 1 day old, you only have animal-level intelligence. Then, as soon as the clock strikes midnight and you turn 16, additional circuits inside your real human brain come online, giving you self-awareness. From then on, you're a real human and equipped to process Saving Private Ryan

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Super Eyepatch Wolf: The Current State of Shonen Jump 2021 - https://youtu.be/UZr-O7Y3qGM

Matt McMuscles: Shenmue III - What Happened? feat. Super Eyepatch Wolf - https://youtu.be/v_WKQrTH2EI

DefunctlandTV: The History of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command - https://youtu.be/lc34BSF37nc

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXyZeqb1aj8

"I have to wait that long to not care about a movie???" is a good quote.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No.1 Special posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf: The Current State of Shonen Jump 2021 - https://youtu.be/UZr-O7Y3qGM

Matt McMuscles: Shenmue III - What Happened? feat. Super Eyepatch Wolf - https://youtu.be/v_WKQrTH2EI

DefunctlandTV: The History of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command - https://youtu.be/lc34BSF37nc

A pity Defunctland couldn't go to SEW for the history of Buzz Lightyear.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The Australian movie rating system is weird because there's three different 15+ ratings.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Todd's One Hit Wonders on Whoomp! (There It Is) alerted many to the Mickey Mouse rap CD and while I think actually listening to it would ruin the magic, just hearing about it is endlessly fascinating:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1358838778610151426

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Todd's One Hit Wonders on Whoomp! (There It Is) alerted many to the Mickey Mouse rap CD and while I think actually listening to it would ruin the magic, just hearing about it is endlessly fascinating:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1358838778610151426

I actually remember this CD being bundled with the PS1 Mickey Mouse game back in the day. I listened to it a lot as a kid, but this is the only thing I remember from it. And it's certainly a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2AFPgrWm0E

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

Laughing thinking about Sean Connery's super weird costume he wore in that movie which was straight out of a fanservicy anime

i finally got around to watching that movie and while i like a bunch of its ideas, i still dont get it. its very much one of those movies.

No.1 Special posted:

1. was anyone really shocked that shenmue 3 was a steaming pile, like the games were always kinda awful and weird cult hits and only took off again because their spiritual sucessors, the yakuza series were loving amazing. so people hoped it would be like that instead of the weird little game it was. i think the worst part is the plot feels like a loving filler arc.

2. i like that series and patrick warburton as buzz just works really well and his character of being a stick up the rear end Space pig works.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 8, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of that RLM video, Psycho Goreman is an r rated kids movie. They’ll love it. It’s got violence and and action and monsters. All the things kids love.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Speaking of that RLM video, Psycho Goreman is an r rated kids movie. They’ll love it. It’s got violence and and action and monsters. All the things kids love.

And a family message!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Soooo. Does anyone have experience with using Nebula? Like, with regards to original content that folks put on it and so on? It seems to crop up a fair bit now as a sponsorship and seems like an interesting idea. Adam Neely had it in his vid today.

It's a good vid too so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRaACa1Mrd4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx29zWHe4-U

So this Ryan Hollinger guy showed up in my recommendations and reminded me what an amazing hambeast Matthew McConaughey is in Reign of Fire.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Soooo. Does anyone have experience with using Nebula? Like, with regards to original content that folks put on it and so on? It seems to crop up a fair bit now as a sponsorship and seems like an interesting idea. Adam Neely had it in his vid today.

It's a good vid too so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRaACa1Mrd4

I just signed up today after thinking about it for a while. FYI you need to use a promo code from someone who's doing ads with them in order to get the bundle with Nebula, which is twice as much as Curiosity Stream without the bundle but free when they're together. I hope Nebula can last long-term, as it's my primary interest in signing up.

I haven't had a chance to look at much, but there does seem to be a lot of content with some decent effort behind it. You can browse titles without joining, though it may make you register a free account first so that it can bombard your email with membership offers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx29zWHe4-U

So this Ryan Hollinger guy showed up in my recommendations and reminded me what an amazing hambeast Matthew McConaughey is in Reign of Fire.

I don't always agree with his takes, but I do appreciate the thought he puts into them, and that he keeps his videos relatively short.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXyZeqb1aj8

"I have to wait that long to not care about a movie???" is a good quote.

Synchronic looks like the cover to an Asia album.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I liked Synchronic but the ending is pretty schmaltzy.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just signed up today after thinking about it for a while. FYI you need to use a promo code from someone who's doing ads with them in order to get the bundle with Nebula, which is twice as much as Curiosity Stream without the bundle but free when they're together. I hope Nebula can last long-term, as it's my primary interest in signing up.

I haven't had a chance to look at much, but there does seem to be a lot of content with some decent effort behind it. You can browse titles without joining, though it may make you register a free account first so that it can bombard your email with membership offers.
Even with a code, they might forget to actually include the bundle. Nothing an email didn't fix, but it was not a good first impression.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scorched Spitz posted:

Even with a code, they might forget to actually include the bundle. Nothing an email didn't fix, but it was not a good first impression.

When I signed up for Curiosity Stream, I still had to follow a prompt to create a password on the Nebula site, but it recognized my email address.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I closed the RLM review of Psycho Goreman, wherein they talk about Rich Evans's small voice role and put on an episode of The Flophouse Podcast I had half finished earlier in the day. The first thing I hear is them recomending Psycho Goreman because podcast host Stewart Wellington also had a small voice role in the movie.

I'm not watching it unless every member of the cast is a guest part for someone from a podcast or a youtube channel I follow.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 8, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you don’t watch psycho goreman you need to frig off.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is a very good movie.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
It is a very good movie. I haven't watched it or knew of it's existence, but it is a very good movie.

It is a very good movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have watched the film and I can confirm: quite good.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Yes. You will watch this movie.

You will watch this movie.

You will watch this movie.

YOU WILL WATCH AND PRAISE.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I know sports is usually not within the realm of what we talk about here, but if you're at all into MLB I highly recommend checking out Baseball Doesn't Exist, a fairly new channel that does some really good mini-player documentaries. And usually not about the guys you've heard about a million times like Babe or Gwynn, but instead about weirdos and outcasts and cheaters like Toe Nash, Jose Canseco, and Lenny Dykstra.

All his videos are getting views in the hundreds of thousands, but he only has ~38K followers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

So I know sports is usually not within the realm of what we talk about here, but if you're at all into MLB I highly recommend checking out Baseball Doesn't Exist, a fairly new channel that does some really good mini-player documentaries. And usually not about the guys you've heard about a million times like Babe or Gwynn, but instead about weirdos and outcasts and cheaters like Toe Nash, Jose Canseco, and Lenny Dykstra.

All his videos are getting views in the hundreds of thousands, but he only has ~38K followers.

Oh, sold. I am all for dunking on Canesco.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Just a heads up, ralphthemoviemaker's next video is up on Patreon and it's about Channel Awesome with 2/3rds of the video specifically being about Spoony, including the circumstances of his firing from CA. While this thread has evolved pretty far beyond Spoonywatch so I don't expect much Spoony drama here, do be prepared that this may briefly reignite Spoony drama elsewhere (like Twitter) and if you don't want to hear more about Spoony definitely give the video a skip.

EDIT: In the final version of the video he cut most of the Spoony stuff, just leaving the bits that were most interesting.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thanks for the heads up about spoonydrama friend.

Back on topic Zardoz rules everyone should experience Zardoz at least once in their life. I genuinely think it would be as well regarded as Logans Run if it wasn't for all the weird sex stuff (which could have been way worse this was the 70s). That maybe says more about my opinion of Logans run tho.

Also yes Sean Connery will be wearing that for most of the movie.