Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

BonHair posted:

I like how the first piece of info is the ¼ inch jack. Which is exactly the thing I was looking for to be fair.

That's because a lot of the eastern European & Russian made guitars used DIN style jacks, needing a custom adapter or rewire to work with normal amps & effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mango sentinel posted:

I'm a fan of this thing.

It’s cool but the other photos look like they pulled it out of a collapsed building.

On second thought I guess that’s a plus.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

For a whole step down, something like this 11-52 set should be great

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL...12661632&sr=8-2

But yeah I recommend getting it to a shop for a Set-Up, which basically means they'll adjust string height, neck relief, intonation, and all the other little things to get it to play comfortable. Most places should be $30 to $50 for it but it makes a huge difference. You can do it yourself if you're handy with tools and want to put in the effort, buuuuuuuuuuut it's just so much easier to send it to a shop.

As to pinch harmonics, you could just be doing it in a wrong position. The cheat is to aim for the bridge side of the neck pickup. That's a super resonant spot for doing pinch harmonics. Also a shitload of distortion helps too

Sweet, thanks for the info. And as far as I'm aware, when it comes to pinch harmonics, there's a few different spots you can do them for different sounds, and it's a bit different on each guitar. I got a little better at it last night, and I think some of it may be my set up (crappy PC speakers, using guitar rig) although everything else feels like it has some oomph, just doesn't pick up the pinch harmonics like I remember being able to do in the past. I'll also grab a new battery while I'm at it.

e: Also this thing doesn't hold a tune worth a poo poo on the lighter strings, but I'm wondering if it's maybe because it has normal gauge strings tuned down a step.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Snowy posted:

It’s cool but the other photos look like they pulled it out of a collapsed building.

On second thought I guess that’s a plus.

They ship from Ukraine, so it's not impossible.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Old strings don't intonate well, always change them first before making changes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
should I go 9-42 or 8-38? I'm switching from 10-46

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ok Comboomer posted:

should I go 9-42 or 8-38? I'm switching from 10-46

8s are unusually light and most people won't go under 9 in the normal course of playing guitar, unless they have a very fine touch or are specifically looking for ultralight strings to mitigate hand issues or something. Is there a reason you're planning to drop that far?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

darkwasthenight posted:

8s are unusually light and most people won't go under 9 in the normal course of playing guitar, unless they have a very fine touch or are specifically looking for ultralight strings to mitigate hand issues or something. Is there a reason you're planning to drop that far?

no just curious. I do want to try lighter strings tho while I build back my soft wimpy fingertips, I haven't played in a while. I could blame the roommate or the psoriatic arthritis or the masters, but really it was laziness on my part

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I suggest the exact opposite. Get an acoustic with big nasty strings on it, power through it for 2 weeks and then every electric feels like easy mode.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Rather than re-stringing, I’d just tune down a half step.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

duodenum posted:

Rather than re-stringing, I’d just tune down a half step.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ok Comboomer posted:

no just curious. I do want to try lighter strings tho while I build back my soft wimpy fingertips, I haven't played in a while. I could blame the roommate or the psoriatic arthritis or the masters, but really it was laziness on my part

I'd try 9s and then drop a semitone as suggested. You'll get the lower string tension but won't risk having to adjust the nut or saddles to prevent buzzing if they're cut too wide for 8s. Plus you can just tune back up when you're used to it again.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What the heck is going on if my cowboy chords are sharp but my 12th fret is in tune.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That the twelfth and first frets are out of tune with each other is one of the symptoms of a guitar that needs to be intonated but not always.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

mango sentinel posted:

What the heck is going on if my cowboy chords are sharp but my 12th fret is in tune.

Are you pressing too hard? If you are too heavy handed on your fretting hand you could be pulling the notes sharp

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I assume that's what's going on but I'm getting a lot of buzz/unclear notes if I fret those lightly.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How's your nut height?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When the guitar is properly intonated at the 12th fret but sharp near the headstock, that usually means the nut slots are too high, and you're actually bending the note sharp in the process of getting a clean note out. Sometimes you're fretting too hard, but sometimes you literally can't get the note to sound without pulling it sharp. Do you have the same problem if you put a capo on the first fret?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Idk how to evaluate nut height but I'll try the cap trick tomorrow

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

picked this up a week or two ago. Properly setup, actually functioning electric is a treat. Can’t stop looking at the finish, completely the opposite of my usual tastes.

It’s so light and easy to play and it stays in tune perfectly. Got it for a steal. RG421. Played as nicely as the four figure JEM at the same store.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That looks cool as hell

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Idk how to evaluate nut height but I'll try the cap trick tomorrow

What thickness picks do you use and how many can you slide under the strings by the nut is a good way of giving us a measurement to evaluate.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ColdPie posted:

That looks cool as hell

I had mad gift cards and spent weeks and weeks looking at the site. I really really didn’t want a strat/super shape but couldn’t stop looking at it online. Got in store and ... was meant to be.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Give me some fun D standard songs(or songs that still sound good if you play it in d standard anyway) metal stuff to learn and tinker around with guys. Death is fun, but I'd like some different stuff too so I don't burnout on the same couple of songs. Symbolic and Spirit Crusher are a lot of fun, but I still suck really bad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Something I had to do the other day for work was to make a spoof video of the time life Warner romance albums that used to be on tv infomercials. That required sourcing a lot of cheesy 70s - 90s love songs. I also made a spotify playlist. Not my typical genre of music.

I just let the play list go one day while working and picked up my guitar and played along to whatever came up. It was oddly fun even though that stuff isn't what I would typically play.

Extra fun was finding voicings for my guitar to match the album guitar tones and effects. Sort of a reverse engineer music puzzle. Some of the songs were really boring which I would improv and noodle over, others were actually really engaging and taught me new chords.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Give me some fun D standard songs(or songs that still sound good if you play it in d standard anyway) metal stuff to learn and tinker around with guys. Death is fun, but I'd like some different stuff too so I don't burnout on the same couple of songs. Symbolic and Spirit Crusher are a lot of fun, but I still suck really bad.

Isn’t every Ghost song in D? Some killer riffs there, check out Cirice and Mummy Dust or Year Zero. They’re not “metal” but they’re ... close enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Albums I know are in D standard:

Toxic Holocaust: An overdose of death and Chemistry of consciousness. Nuke the Cross is super easy to play and incredibly fun. Acid Fuzz and War is Hell are also relatively easy

Every children of bodom album

Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness

And I think The Haunted - one kill wonder, but that may be 1.5 steps down.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Verman posted:

Something I had to do the other day for work was to make a spoof video of the time life Warner romance albums that used to be on tv infomercials. That required sourcing a lot of cheesy 70s - 90s love songs. I also made a spotify playlist. Not my typical genre of music.

I just let the play list go one day while working and picked up my guitar and played along to whatever came up. It was oddly fun even though that stuff isn't what I would typically play.

Extra fun was finding voicings for my guitar to match the album guitar tones and effects. Sort of a reverse engineer music puzzle. Some of the songs were really boring which I would improv and noodle over, others were actually really engaging and taught me new chords.

Do you work at some sort of dream factory? That sounds amazing, to say the least.

Anyhow, a friend of mine has me doing some work on a guitar he has, some Hamer figured top double cutaway Korean guitar:

https://reverb.com/item/16988894-hamer-archtop-double-cutaway

I was pleasantly surprised that it plays pretty drat amazingly, if a bit flat in the radius and the frets are a bit small. BUUUUT, the pickups sound loving amazing. They are PAF-alikes but have a different emphasis that spits and snarls. Finding bargain/OEM pickups that are super good is my love language.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't know anything about metal subgenres, but lots of System of a Down songs are in D drop C and are fun to play. I can't shred at all and the well known ones are at least approachable (toxicity, aerials, etc)

Edit: the main riff for Sweet Mountain River by Monster Truck is also fun to play (it was in rocksmith 2014) - more hard rock than metal, though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I find that learning tremolo picking for metal has helped me greatly when it comes to country and bluegrass. No poo poo!

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Most Gojira songs are in D standard.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Obituary - Cause of Death is D standard too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just want more updates on rescued Guitar Center trash guitars :allears:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Trash guitar update!

Fender acoustic has a small ding in the top on the bass lower bout doesn't affect sound or playability so I just cleaned it up and restrung it.
It has a pickup and eq but if I'm playing an acoustic I'm not plugging it in.

This yamaha is actually really nice it says made in tawain on the label inside. I have to find a serial number to see when it was made exactly.
It may be in need of a neck reset in the future the action is a little high and the saddle is already about as low as it can go. Maybe why they trashed it. It really doesn't have anything else wrong with it. I just cleaned it up I haven't even restrung it yet.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thumposaurus posted:

Trash guitar update!

Wooooo thanks :)

I love that you’re doing that, hope the free guitars keep coming

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's been fun since I'm furloughed right now I've got a lot of time on my hands.
I never really worked on acoustics much before doing the dumpster thing. With an electric guitar you can tear the whole thing down to parts and put it back together pretty easy.
Working on acoustics is like hard mode.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think many of Elder's songs are in either D Standard or Drop C (i.e. CGCFAD), here are some tabs you can check out but I'd also recommend trying to figure out some of the riffs by ear as well. Some of the less "technical" riffs are ones that you can kind of work out even if you're like me and have a rather untrained ear.

https://doomsean.github.io/tabs/

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Most of Mastodon's songs are in D, Drop C or D Drop A (AGCFAD). Drop A is pretty sketchy on a guitar set up for D standard but it's doable if you have a light touch.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every song in standard is a song in D-standard. You just turn the knobby things until it goes a step lower :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BDA posted:

Most of Mastodon's songs are in D, Drop C or D Drop A (AGCFAD). Drop A is pretty sketchy on a guitar set up for D standard but it's doable if you have a light touch.

Blood and Thunder is in D standard and holy poo poo that is a fun song