Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember when Black Tom brutally murdered that kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MahmudAsrar/status/1358475302113054733?s=20

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What was xmen red and why did it look so awesome?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

X-Men Red was Tom Taylor's series from before HoX/PoX

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kingtheninja posted:

Right after they brought Jean back, they wanted to throw her into a new book. Tom Taylor said, "only if I can put Gabby in it," and they let him do it the absolute madmen

It was very good and didn't last very long when it bumped into the very bad Uncanny relaunch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Right after they brought Jean back, they wanted to throw her into a new book. Tom Taylor said, "only if I can put Gabby in it," and they let him do it the absolute madmen

It was very good and didn't last very long when it bumped into the very bad Uncanny relaunch.

Yeah, it was terrible, I don't know why they did it if they were planning to blow up everything again for Hickman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everything needed to turn to poo poo before every mutant moving to krakoa, the island that eats mutants, seemed halfway reasonable. of course, that didn't require the books where that happened to also be poo poo.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gologle posted:

Remember when "insert-character" brutally murdered that kid?

One of the bigger swords of damocles dangling over this whole Krakoa thing.

Hey wasn't Juggernaut retconned into being a mutant? In the "Sammy the Fish Boy is brutally murdered by Black Tom" saga no less. Weren't his mutant powers basically the same as his Cytorrak powers just weaker? Or am I misremembering?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just wondering why they chose to call Kwannon Psylocke and not Revance. We're they purposefully trying to make Betsy more confusing because she was Psylocke before the body switch.?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Just wondering why they chose to call Kwannon Psylocke and not Revance. We're they purposefully trying to make Betsy more confusing because she was Psylocke before the body switch.?

I suspect the long term plan for Betsy has her continuing to be Captain Britain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish they'd relaunch Red as an HoX book. Jean deserves her own book at this point.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Skwirl posted:

I suspect the long term plan for Betsy has her continuing to be Captain Britain.

And the name Pyslocke has become far more associated with that body than with Betsy, even if she used the code name in her original body.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Most people only know Psylocke as an Asian ninja. With Betsy as Captain Britain, they’re letting Kwannon use the much more marketable name compared to Revance.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Must be stressful at the Krakoan Marketing department

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it was terrible, I don't know why they did it if they were planning to blow up everything again for Hickman.

Pretty sure they told Rosenberg they were going to blow it all up, so do whatever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty sure they told Rosenberg they were going to blow it all up, so do whatever.

Rosenberg: "I'll write a lovely story then!"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
To give him some benefit of the doubt, imagine being told that nothing you would do during your run would matter because the very next run would essentially establish a new status quo and start everything over. It's kind of like being told your job is definitely going to fire you two weeks from now and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Why would you give your best effort?

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I also don't like his short run.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gologle posted:

To give him some benefit of the doubt, imagine being told that nothing you would do during your run would matter because the very next run would essentially establish a new status quo and start everything over. It's kind of like being told your job is definitely going to fire you two weeks from now and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Why would you give your best effort?

I think the conditions of his run kind of precluded him from writing a masterpiece but it was a truly godawful comic, and the transphobia and extremely careless use of suicide had nothing to do with his editorial remit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gologle posted:

have you read anything else Matthew Rosenberg has ever written

his X-Men wasn't a spite job of uncaring callousness, that was the norm for him

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, in all honesty, his run feels like the opposite. It's full of deep cuts and sloppy ends to storylines that had been running for years so it feels like he was specifically asked to clean the slate a bit for a new beginning.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I probably have read other Rosenberg stuff, I don't know, it's been only relatively recently that I have learned to follow the creator, not the brand.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's this ironic diegesis where Hickman's X-reboot made so much sense and was so enticing to the mutants of the world specifically because their lot under the previous run was just so wretched. Like, if I had to choose between Krakoa and being written by Rosenberg, I'd be sprinting to a gate as well.

The real question is whether Marvel might've intentionally told Rosenberg to make his run as miserable as possible so that Hickman would come across even better when his turn finally came.

It's a very cynical thing to wonder and proooobably meritless :sweatdrop:...I mean, I think Hickman is a solid enough draw that you don't have to tell your writers to intentionally self-sabotage in order to sell him. All the same, I just can't help but wonder anyway, 'cuz the alternative is that Rosenberg actually thought these were good X-Men comics that X-Men fans would actually want to read. Which just seems impossible. And yet.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gologle posted:

I think that the best response to Rosenberg's run is Age of X-Man; as whole the event didn't matter much, but I can tell Ayala, Brisson and Williams were doing their best with their miniseries (and at least Ayala and Williams have shown how good they can be in this new era), while Nadler and Thompson did a good job at introducing an alternate world that I seriously doubt we will see again.

It's a nice contrast to the grimdark take of Rosenberg's UXM, both in theme and in overall quality.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

You think they would've learned their lesson on this with Ultimatum, but not so.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Age of X-Man was good. Williams was the MVP but pretty much every book had at least one interesting thing going on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bring back Blob/Betsy!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Gologle posted:

I didn't think Eve of Destruction was that bad.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Just re: Age of X, Jordan D. White did say this in an interview published yesterday, so something might crop up eventually:

quote:

AIPT: Another question about an alternate-reality Summers-Grey child. X-Fan Tidinha Meneghel said for a couple who are so bent on keeping the family together nowadays, don’t you think Jean and Scott are neglecting Nate Grey? Sure he’s in another dimension, but with Otherworld in the picture, that shouldn’t stop them from catching up with their third child. I think we’ve got an X-Man fan here, Jordan.

Jordan: Well, that’s an interesting question, but first of all, he is the least their child of any of these people–and not just because he’s from another dimension. But also because in that other dimension, he was a genetically created person through science experiments, not through, you know, the normal methods. So neither of them was aware that he existed. Which again, it’s not to invalidate the connection that they have genetically or anything like that. But I feel like he became a family member sort of through the fact that we know Cable, who is much more of their child than he is because he’s an alternate version of Cable. He kind of gets family status.

And I don’t think any of them really think of that connection as familial as they do to Cable or to Rachel. That said, I also think he’s doing OK in the sense that I don’t think he was unhappy in that other world. I think that he created that world and it was very flawed and our people were unhappy in that world. The X-Men were very unhappy in that world and that’s why they left, but he’s still there and he’s trying again. So what happens there is a story that remains to be told, but I think they know he was willing and he wanted it. So they’re not going to go yank him out of a place he wants to be.

AIPT: Yeah, he’s [Nate Grey] chilling with Magneto.

Jordan: Yeah, what’s the deal with that? I don’t know how that works. We’ll see. Maybe someday we’ll find out.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/02/08/x-men-monday-95-cyclops-and-jean-grey/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I decided to finally get some value out of Unlimited and read HoXPoX and the first few issues of the Dawn stuff (yes, even Fallen Angels) and while it's almost all extremely skilfully written, and I'm definitely sure we're suppose to have an eyebrow raised at Moira, Charles and Magneto, it seems super weird and culty to have a bunch of the mutant characters seem to just cut off ties with anyone outside of Krakoa, and it does make Sue Storm's comment in the FF crossover ring kinda true about them seeing human life as worth less. Which is kind of the point where it starts to be a little harder to justify the allegory when you're literally having the oppressed minority espouse the normally false talking points that actual racists/homophobes use to try and muddy the waters in real civil rights movements.

Frankly, the books I've liked most have been the ones that kinda don't really care much about the whole mutant nationalist ethnostate thing. Or at least acknowledge that these characters used to have lives outside of it. Hell, it was really weird when Wolverine tut-tuts Quire for poo poo-talking humans in X-Force, not because Logan wouldn't do that, but because he says Charles wouldn't want it, and it's like... has Logan spoken to Charles recently, cuz I sure as gently caress don't get the impression he would have said anything.

On a lighter note, I am down with the Summers-Grey open relationship thing. I mean, jesus, Zdarsky and the Dodsons all but had Scott call Emma 'mistress' on panel.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 10, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gaz-L posted:

On a lighter note, I am down with the Summers-Grey open relationship thing. I mean, jesus, Zdarsky and the Dodsons all but had Scott call Emma 'mistress' on panel.

I was probably gonna skip that FF mini, but that does sound great. Adventureman is cool, speaking of the Dodsons.

I still have that House/Powers of X tpb on my stack, but I like reading the takes and soaking in the hype. I've gotta finish reading the Claremont run first you see. Then my idea is I'll jump to the current stuff, then dip back in to some 90s and 2000s choice stuff etc.

I think your take is what sounded like the vibe, the premise being scary and culty a bit etc. I do like X-Men being part of humanity. I also like relationship stuff, the meat and potatoes of classic comics and current TV etc. Which sounds like Hickman really has on the back-burner, not showing much, speaking of Scott and Jean. So those are things I'd probably take more of.

But, I also find this premise very intriguing and cool, I was really excited when I heard about it. And with Reign of X bringing in more classic superhero vibes apparently, sounds like it's all part of the arc.

That said, when they do end up in a more normal status quo some day, let's hope the new writers and showrunner keep what sounds like a cool level of quality.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If you were inclined to read into this stuff, the current depiction of mutantdom as a rejection of Centrist "why can't we get along?" ideals certainly reflects a lot of poo poo on the news these days. It's jarring to see Xavier go full ANTIHU, but it also certainly feels appropriate for the time.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think it's important to note that Xavier isn't buying fully into the anti-human sentiments. He's just realized that the only way mutants will get a level playing field is to control the field themselves. He's just not preaching coexistence as much because after four or five genocides, it becomes politically disadvantageous to keep giving the perpetrators further chances to reform themselves.

In other news, I loved the new issue of SWORD, and now really want to see Manifold in more comics. Never realized how interesting his powers were.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I was probably gonna skip that FF mini, but that does sound great. Adventureman is cool, speaking of the Dodsons.

I still have that House/Powers of X tpb on my stack, but I like reading the takes and soaking in the hype. I've gotta finish reading the Claremont run first you see. Then my idea is I'll jump to the current stuff, then dip back in to some 90s and 2000s choice stuff etc.

I think your take is what sounded like the vibe, the premise being scary and culty a bit etc. I do like X-Men being part of humanity. I also like relationship stuff, the meat and potatoes of classic comics and current TV etc. Which sounds like Hickman really has on the back-burner, not showing much, speaking of Scott and Jean. So those are things I'd probably take more of.

But, I also find this premise very intriguing and cool, I was really excited when I heard about it. And with Reign of X bringing in more classic superhero vibes apparently, sounds like it's all part of the arc.

That said, when they do end up in a more normal status quo some day, let's hope the new writers and showrunner keep what sounds like a cool level of quality.

X-Men/FF mini is really good, though recent developments in Fantastic Four make it unlikely to be followed up on anytime soon, so if you just want stuff important to the metastory it's probably skipable.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Great X-Force this week! A very nice balance of comedy, action, and emotional, with a cliffhanger that left me wanting more.

SWORD was good too. Excalibur was probably my least favourite but it was still fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm gonna assume 'because time skip' but was there an explanation give as to why Rogue could control her powers in the Kelly Thompson written Rogue and Gambit series but then in the Hickman era stuff she's back to seemingly not being able to? It's particularly odd given she mentions the tennis bracelet power dampener Beast made her as a wedding gift in that book

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm gonna assume 'because time skip' but was there an explanation give as to why Rogue could control her powers in the Kelly Thompson written Rogue and Gambit series but then in the Hickman era stuff she's back to seemingly not being able to? It's particularly odd given she mentions the tennis bracelet power dampener Beast made her as a wedding gift in that book

I think she just doesn't have perfect control like she used to. In Mr and Mrs X, also by Thompson, she was back to wearing dampeners.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I flipped to the back of X-Force to get the weeks reading order, it usually doesn't matter (and this week it also didn't) but I like to do it when I think of it, and it lists:

Excalibur
S.W.O.R.D.
X-Force

So I read Excalibur first and when I got to the back it lists

X-Force
S.W.O.R.D.
Excalibur

So I read X-Force next thinking I misread it the first time, I get to the end and nope, I was right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the reading order isn't really relevant because in sword that king in black poo poo is still going on while the other two books never acknowledged it at all.

i'm guessing manifold was talking about some avengers space stuff, but what happened to him, exactly?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think she just doesn't have perfect control like she used to. In Mr and Mrs X, also by Thompson, she was back to wearing dampeners.

I meant Mr & Mrs X, I'm just not fond of the name of that book. The one consistent plot thread in that title was Rogue processing her trauma and as a result becoming able to control her powers, and even getting to a point where touch wasn't even necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the reading order isn't really relevant because in sword that king in black poo poo is still going on while the other two books never acknowledged it at all.

i'm guessing manifold was talking about some avengers space stuff, but what happened to him, exactly?

He was pretty much the military transport in the Avengers war against the Builders during Infinity.