Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

“Somebodyelseie” was right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foobhaha child abuse :smith:

I know Foob is usually terrible, but this one is unusually funny (if you just roll with the slapstick).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (December 6, 1937), I wouldn't be surprised if that's recognizable as a specific match trick.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Should you really be straining your eye by doing that poo poo?

Johnny Walker posted:

Bonus! Thanks to EasyEW I now have our missing Apartment 3-Gs, so I'm going to post them all here now. I'll timg them since there's a bunch and this is already a long post.

Oh, what? Is the story with the nice secretary and radio host already over? Nooooo, I got too used to having good characters in A3G, I don't want to go back to the guest characters being assholes. :(

Kid Fenris posted:

Wasn't there something in Sulo's backstory about him going to jail for murdering a guy who was beating a horse or something? Did that ever come up in the comic again?

I keep waiting for it to come back again, but it never did.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm not normally one to defend Foob, but I do think that in this case Lynn did intend the readers to recognize Gordon's situation as abuse, that his fears are justified, and that the teen mischief he got into doesn't justify his dad beating him up.

This doesn't mean the rest of this arc will be handled well going forward (we know that Lynn has a warped view of abuse and healthy family dynamics), but I don't believe we're supposed to be yukking it up over Gordon's anxiety at this point in time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not normally one to defend Foob, but I do think that in this case Lynn did intend the readers to recognize Gordon's situation as abuse, that his fears are justified, and that the teen mischief he got into doesn't justify his dad beating him up.

This doesn't mean the rest of this arc will be handled well going forward (we know that Lynn has a warped view of abuse and healthy family dynamics), but I don't believe we're supposed to be yukking it up over Gordon's anxiety at this point in time.

I know foob gets poo poo on a lot, and often it's justified, but during this era it was justifiably praised for its "very special episodes" which addressed real problems in a realistic way and not in the self-congratulatory Cancerbean melodrama. The "Roseanne" comparison upthread was apt. That show was a superb blend of sitcom and realistic blue collar life and the later seasons going off the rails doesn't erase the quality of the earlier ones.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, growing up we had several foob collections that were well read, it's issues are one of those things that can be easy to miss, then you hear a bit of the backstory and realise there's actually hosed up poo poo behind it. It's a tragedy, really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is going to have to talk to HR.

Working Daze is quiet for a while, at least.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gets all the breaks!

Cul De Sac has been spending a lot of time here lately.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Foob was a strip I related to when I was growing up. I wonder if families just were more screwed up back then in general.

I know my family was screwed up, but a lot is different in how people parent now it seems to me, and social values have shifted quite a bit too.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 16, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 3, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 12, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 12, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 23, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (May 25, 1947)

Those Were the Days (June 14, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 3, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 3, 1965)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was roughly the same ages as those kids growing up and I had friends whose dads definitely would have kicked their asses for less than that

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunvocado

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/7/01

That's a particularly puggish pug.

Brenda Starr 11/8-10/45

Smokey Stover 6/5-7/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Apparently it's something like "ang-gruh."

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward
Lothar has super strength?

The avocado has been cut in half and now its seed is a baby, which it's giving to a table-tennis bat? :wtc:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiggum posted:

Lothar has super strength?

Dude can break a stone wall with his fist..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs&t=33s

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Mildred Millie turns on the charm

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 8, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 8, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 8, 1989)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Chiefs lost 3 offensive linemen Janis, shouldn't have bet against the Bucs defense.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Manuel Calavera posted:

It's kinda weird when Foob comes at you with omniscient narration.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 14, 1951)

:laffo: at the old timey man just saying "NASTY!"

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 8, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julet Esqu posted:

Just to clarify, I wasn't harshing on this storyline. Just pointing out that, "oh, abuse as a storyline. :smith:"

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Marigold Heavenly Safeword

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe (which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon) is doin some reruns

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having a really tough time trying to decide which is the worse take.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That egg looks scrambled.

Also, fuuuuuck both parents in Foob in this latest strip.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Having a really tough time trying to decide which is the worse take.

"Man up kid, take your beating" - a father and physician

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're not willing to kickbox your dad in our driveway, you're not worthy to sleep in the trunk of the Dodge Stratus parked in my garage.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (June 28 - July 2, 1999)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Savarna?

Pooch Cafe

I liked this one.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

"Mmmmm. Oh yeah. Still would."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Hey! I think we've found our next villain in this story!, or Blueberry seems unaware of the United States' stance on Native peoples on state and federal level since... well, forever, or Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

god bless rex morgan, the world's slowest car wreck

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

"Prince-Colonel" (prinssieversti) is a fake title used by a character in a Finnish pulp adventure series.

It's funny that Sulo's backstory came up right now, we're less than two weeks from when Sulo will tell about it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Plus a very 70s advertisement:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekfPU0SwNw&t=5s

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

So there's got to be, like, diabetic friendly milkshakes and stuff using sugar substitutes, right? Like as a diabetic you don't need to cut out everything sweet (and in fact need to have stuff to bring your blood sugar up when it's low), it's that you have to be a lot more aware of the composition of your food and how much literal sucrose you're eating, since the problem is your body has trouble storing and unpacking sugar with glucose and glycogen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Dad, how does online grooming work?"
-Things that have aged really, really badly