Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This year better not take Terry Funk from us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think Terry Funk v. Flair I quit was the best match in history until Okada faced Omega.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If it does he had a good run. Poor Terry. I remember that doctor looking at his knees and saying he didn't understand how he wasn't in crippling pain because he had no cartilage left between his bones. I guess time finally caught up with him. But Terry was the best of the old wrestlers both as a human being and a performer who was so unselfish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think Terry Funk v. Flair I quit was the best match in history until Okada faced Omega.

I didn't see that match for years and used to roll my eyes at people raving about it because how could it POSSIBLY be better than the insane Flair/Steamboat match from WrestleWar 89 that set it up... and then I watched the match and holy loving gently caress what a match :stare:

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1358603841676087297

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ/status/1358658419163615233?s=19

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1358590679002316800

THE FORBIDDEN DOOR 😱

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Terry Funk update: not GOOD news, but good news considering what it could have been:

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1358635633007353859

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sorry to hear he's in pain, hope he does better soon.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Terry's just selling.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Honestly I would be astonished if Terry didn't have severe pain

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Who are three people who can't keep getting away with it? They can't keep getting away with it?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tom brady and james white, members of the tampa bay new england patriots who keep winning the super bowl.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Brady James White, here to sing his latest Top 10 country music hit

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Hurricane status: still good

https://twitter.com/ShaneHelmsCom/status/1358642987849420800?s=20

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What is happening in BJW

https://twitter.com/kamitanibjw/status/1358782569412612097?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't see that match for years and used to roll my eyes at people raving about it because how could it POSSIBLY be better than the insane Flair/Steamboat match from WrestleWar 89 that set it up... and then I watched the match and holy loving gently caress what a match :stare:

I hated that feud, because for some reason JCP thought Flair should be the face? gently caress Flair; he deserved everything Funk did to him, and Funk should have won. Everyone points to Funk piledriving Flair on a tablet as the catalyst, but you know what the real catalyst was? When Flair ducked Funk's challenge like the coward he was.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'd go so far as to say Terry is one of the top 3 greatest of all time, and you could absolutely make a case for him being #1. He's also a case where I can't imagine what he'd be doing with his life if pro wrestling didn't exist.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Punching horses

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CombineThresher posted:

I'd go so far as to say Terry is one of the top 3 greatest of all time, and you could absolutely make a case for him being #1. He's also a case where I can't imagine what he'd be doing with his life if pro wrestling didn't exist.

Carving out a solid niche as a movie henchman.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

JC Penney would be doing a lot better

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can't figure out who the third person he's referring to is help me out.

fake e: lmao I'm an idiot it's his own last name

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IcePhoenix posted:

Is this a joke?

IcePhoenix posted:

fake e: lmao I'm an idiot it's his last name

e: lol

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think it's weird he put Kevin James in there with him and Brady.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think it's weird he put Kevin James in there with him and Brady.

He respects the new king of comedy

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

fake e: lmao I'm an idiot it's his own last name

It's Kerwin White

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

He was literally decades ahead of his time

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/CaolyT/status/1358793538239094791

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Friends and colleagues, if you want a real wrestler to join the WWE because Buddy Murphy is so bad as you know and he can’t get on TV. Tucker is bad too obviously. Etc etc.

But LIL BOW WOW?!?! Expect the title reign.

https://twitter.com/TBARRetribution/status/1358797149547487234?s=20

https://twitter.com/smoss/status/1358871185191178245?s=20

I’m personally ready for the entire promotion to just be celebrities.

Bow Wow vs. Bad Bunny
UFC fighter vs. UFC fighter
Tom Arnold vs. Tim Allen
QAnon Shaman vs. Matt Lauer

And Edge will challenge new champion Doug Flutie in the main event. Rob Gronkowski will cash in the MITB case on the winner.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Saw this on Twitter from Forbes and Cardi B is gonna have to be the face of the women’s division soon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfred...sh=31f91537de02

quote:

WWE’s Nick Khan Explains How The Promotion Plans To Attract Younger Fans—And Why It Wants Cardi B

Alfred Konuwa11:18am EST
SportsMoney
I write about men in tights and the money they make for men in suits.

Cardi B tweeted about WWE during a recent broadcast of Raw.
Cardi B tweeted about WWE during a recent [+]
Credit: WWE.com
More From Forbes

WWE chief revenue officer Nick Khan has become the toast of Titan Towers in his first year with the company for his role in negotiating a landmark billion-dollar deal with NBCUniversal’s Peacock streaming service. The deal will see the WWE Network air exclusively on Peacock as the startup streaming service looks to grow its subscriber base.

Khan, a former agent at the Creative Arts Agency (CAA), a leading talent agency, was also instrumental in WWE’s billion-dollar television deals with Fox FOXA +4.1% FOXA +4.1% and NBCUniversal while representing the promotion in 2018.

In its Q4 2020 and full-year earnings presentation last week, WWE announced record profits for the year. WWE, bolstered by its broadcast deals, is set to generate a staggering amount of money over the next five years and beyond, but the company is not without its concerns. Despite being cash rich, it continues to struggle with declines in television viewership. WWE Raw garnered its lowest viewership ever on three separate occasions in 2020 alone, but Khan attributes this to a shift in viewership patterns rather than a declining fan base.

“In all my time in LA, since SmackDown started in October 2019 through when I moved to Connecticut, I watched every episode of SmackDown live on the app,” Khan says in an interview. “So my viewership, your viewership are not counted in the ratings. So it’s not simply ‘hey, there is a departure, people are watching on YouTube, Facebook, etc.’ People are watching the direct-to-consumer product, which only Fox knows how many folks are actually watching that. Fox seems quite pleased to us with the overall viewership, and that’s the nuance in what I was attempting to say [during the earnings call].”

Regardless of where the eyeballs are going, WWE continues to struggle with attracting new fans in its demographics. A 2017 report from the Sports Business Journal noted the median age of WWE’s audience had doubled since 2000, and weekly viewership numbers continue to skew toward men over 50. WWE remains cognizant of the value of attracting younger viewers, and its instantly successful partnership with Bad Bunny is just one of the many strategies it plans to use to reach a younger demographic.

“That’s a lifelong, career-long desire. No matter when people start watching, they’re always going to obviously get older, so you always have to figure out a new way to get young people in,” says Khan. “So what we’re in the middle of—the bad Bunny thing ... that’s obviously tailored towards a young audience. We’re in the process now of developing a number of different animated properties, some with the desired demographic of 2 to 6 years old, so the thought is to get kids in young. We’re also reevaluating our entire gaming strategy.

“So I’m not convinced that there are a group of 15-year-olds watching linear television who just don’t happen to be watching us. They’re finding our content elsewhere, and we have to get to them before they’re even 15, to make sure we have a chance to win over new fans so when the other fans start to phase out and get older, we always have a new population coming in.”

WWE’s success with Bad Bunny, whose merchandise continues to move units on WWEShop.com, could lead the promotion to work alongside other hip-hop artists like Cardi B, who recently tweeted about WWE after being name-dropped on Raw. Khan confirmed that WWE does indeed have eyes for Cardi B as well.

“Yes, and specifically the two that you just mentioned,” Khan says, referring to Bad Bunny and Cardi B, in response to a question about WWE partnering with popular musical acts. “Obviously, there is no touring right now, so the ability to get Bad Bunny for however long this run is going to be—and you’re going to see a lot of him—I don’t believe that would have existed in a world where Bad Bunny was on tour. That’s going to be a continual effort, so we’re always going to watch Bad Bunny, Cardi B to get involved.”

He adds: “It made it a touch easier to get a deal done this time because they weren’t—over the course of however long the deal is—is not in 25 different cities during that time. The bulk of concert money is made in the summertime. It doesn’t appear as if there are going to be big tours during the summer, even we’re all hopeful, so we’ll see what other folks we’re talking to and who you’ll see in the mix.”

While there has been no deal announced with Cardi B as of this writing, the top-selling artist just released a new single, and with WrestleMania around the corner, a possible partnership between Cardi B and WWE could be mutually beneficial in the absence of touring.

Working with mainstream artists will only help WWE raise its popularity among younger demographics, and the corresponding merchandise deals should contribute yet another revenue stream to a company that has no shortage of them. In fact, there is a concern among fans that too much money might manifest itself in complacency, especially given the fact that WWE has made more money than ever through content deals rather than its current storylines or pay-per-view main events. But Khan disagrees with the prevailing notion that the promotion now has no incentive to put on a good product given all the guaranteed money it can make from thirsty content providers.

“I think once you’ve been really, really hungry in life and in business, it’s tough to be really, really full,” he says. “So I’ve found with Vince, who I've had the good fortune of knowing for a number of years as an agent when I was with CAA and now working with him directly, that hunger is still there, and I think that hunger is pervasive throughout the company. It’s sort of the culture of the company that we always have to work harder than we worked before.

“Our celebration on [the Peacock deal] was maybe one hour long.”

As an executive, Khan has to keep up with the current product to see what’s working and how it can best be monetized. While discussing what is working, Khan was complimentary of some of WWE’s top stars.

“I think the Drew McIntyre thing is working as a potential next breakthrough star,” Khan says. “He certainly has the look, he has the dedication, he has the right attitude, and I think he’s being put onto the right platform.”

Khan talked up Roman Reigns’ heel turn and Edge’s marathon Royal Rumble performance from last weekend as other positives that are taking the company in the right direction.

As WWE heads into its next round of negotiations around 2024, whispers of a potential sale of the company figure to get louder with NBCU currently airing Raw, WWE NXT and the WWE Network. With SmackDown the final chess piece, some have suggested NBCU could offer to buy WWE entirely. Still, Khan insists there has been zero discussion on that front.

“We haven’t discussed it once. At all,” he says. “By the way, thrilled with being on network TV at Fox. I think I sort of pushed on the emphasis [during the earnings call] on broadcast television, and how important that is, so love that, love what we’re doing with NBC, but no, there has been no dialogue internally or externally on anything like that.”

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/yourqueenhann/status/1358823536702283778?s=21

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ValVenisEnt/status/1358799199521808386

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I know you're not supposed to look at the replies but I did and was surprised that I only saw like 2 tweets even half-heartedly feeling bad for Kacy.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know you're not supposed to look at the replies but I did and was surprised that I only saw like 2 tweets even half-heartedly feeling bad for Kacy.

I’ve heard she’s not really well-liked either. She’s on par with people liking her like Donovan Dijak (Donovan Dickhead) is which is basically very few people in the business.

She’s just not really a good person.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

ICR posted:

I’ve heard she’s not really well-liked either. She’s on par with people liking her like Donovan Dijak (Donovan Dickhead) is which is basically very few people in the business.

She’s just not really a good person.

Rick O'Shea definitely has a type.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Rick O'Shea definitely has a type.

He likes 'em small and prooooooblematic.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

he wants a girl with a short height and a baaaaaaaaaaad person

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

John Dudebro posted:

he wants a girl with a short height and a baaaaaaaaaaad person

Kacy sure isn't fast, thorough, and sharp as a tack.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I saw her in one of the rumbles and she seemed pretty good at showcase spots. Very athletic and flexible. Shame about everything else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1358953085549223937?s=20

Hell yes