Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a thread for posting things our players did to take your mediocre ideas and make them great? I've kinda just been dumping bits from my game in this thread since it's bookmarked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Len posted:

Is there a thread for posting things our players did to take your mediocre ideas and make them great? I've kinda just been dumping bits from my game in this thread since it's bookmarked
Cat piss thread is now also for "a cool thing happened" stories as well as "oh god why" stories.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Woo finally!

e: this is about the same size as the Lancer book, for reference

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Boba Pearl posted:

The thing is, I've never done a fight this hard, it could be an absolute slaughter. I want to make sure that it's not unwinnable, while at the same time, if the party fails, I want to do a cool thing where everyone they've helped and all the powerful NPCs they met show up and transfer their energy to a cleric or a device or something that gives the group mass heal a few times to balance the odds in the opposite side.

I can't speak for the encounter balance specifically, but one thing a GM did with my group once was run a hard-as-nails battle with a list under the table of various parties who could step in out of nowhere to save our bacon: if things got bad for us, they'd jump in and distract the antagonists for a round while the party got its poo poo together, but then they'd pull back out of the fight.

The evil bit was that the ones at the top of the list were genuine allies who we were on equal terms with -- but as you got further down the list, they became people to whom we really wouldn't want to be owing a favour to.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm probably never going to run Sentinels again, and yet, it's a good book with good production values, so I'm going to pick it up anyway. drat this hobby.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Len posted:

You guys are much better at naming things than I am, my next plot arc of Monster of the Week is taking place at a renaissance/larp festival in Kentucky. The gimmick of the place is that it's not people dressed as elves/goblins/etc larping what it's like to be in Ye Olde World but is instead actually elves/goblins/etc doing a reenactment

I need ideas for the various booths, performers, and foods that will be available

Lost Children Pickup -If a parent is separated from their child and checks here they will always find a changeling resembling the lost youth. If they fail to realize their mistake before the faire ends the child will be spirited away.

Tommy Nocker's Smith & Forge -100% certified goods that contain no iron.

Genuine Pirate Treasures -The usual sort of obvious wooden toys, pop guns, swords, and leather props. However the objects are actually all imbued with slivers of the ghosts of actual pirates. If someone drinks a bit too much and wears a few too many of these items they'll slowly be possessed and act the part. The early stages include simply being way too amused by talking in a dumb pirate voice, with the final stages being a full possession that also compels them to head out of state towards the sea.

Halve Maen's Nine-Pin -either a booth game or an actual tournament. The grand prize for either would be a pony keg filled with a powerful ale from the catskills (or maybe Kentucky bourbon). If a mortal drinks the drought they'll become very intoxicated and quickly feel the urge to find a nice secluded tree to to sleep under. If they fall asleep they'll sleep for 20 years. If the whole group drinks it may only be a dream, if only one or someone they care about does, there might be some antidote available they need to find ASAP. If the nine pin is just a booth game, there can be other prizes, like a surprisingly accurate colonial jerkins or blunderbuss.
The draught could also potentially send the group back to the colonial era Catskills where they must beat fae Dutchmen in another game of nine pin the hills in order to drink more and fall asleep only to wake back up at the end of the faire in their time.
To avoid turning the whole game into lawn-bowling, you could also make the booth just a place that sells the drinks, and when the group drinks they fall asleep and are transported to that dream game of nine-pin. If they lose they might just wake up to find the festival ending for the day they've grown long beards and the fae have stolen something from them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm probably never going to run Sentinels again, and yet, it's a good book with good production values, so I'm going to pick it up anyway. drat this hobby.

Just because of time and stuff? Or because it's actually a game you burn yourself out on? I like tactical combat and am interested in a supers game. So far the pandemic has been great for me actually getting my money's worth out of RPGs I've bought, so I'd be interested in getting it if it's a great rules system.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Coolness Averted posted:

Tommy Nocker's Smith & Forge -100% certified goods that contain no iron.

I first read that as Tommy Nocker's Smith & Frogs, which would also be an interesting shop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Coolness Averted posted:

Lost Children Pickup -If a parent is separated from their child and checks here they will always find a changeling resembling the lost youth. If they fail to realize their mistake before the faire ends the child will be spirited away.

This is brilliant holy poo poo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

This is brilliant holy poo poo

:emptyquote:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Tommyknocker shop should sell you pieces of a spaceship that turn you into an alien that proceeds to rebuild the spaceship

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I FORGOT CAREN HAS KIDS AMD CANONICALLY TAKES THEM ON HUNTS THATS SO GOOD

They wait in the car, she isn't a monster

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Woo finally!

e: this is about the same size as the Lancer book, for reference

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought I'd let people know since a lot of folks have been wanting it: the Sentinel Comics RPG is available for purchase for hardcopy & PDF.

e: it's $60 but it's about the same pagecount as Lancer so you're getting a ton of content.

Sell me on this game people cause I've been looking for a good Superheroes system

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
#poo poo-players-say update:

"Would you like, instead of a cookie...Some broccoli?"

"I have a magical Sugar Daddy..."

"I guess I'm also going to try the spider dance. *sigh*"

"I only said, 'can you milk a gnome'?"
Gnome: "This only happens when I almost die."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Len posted:

I FORGOT CAREN HAS KIDS AMD CANONICALLY TAKES THEM ON HUNTS THATS SO GOOD

They wait in the car, she isn't a monster

You gotta do the lost child thing then! Especially if she doesn't bring the kids to the festival. Because then you have a whole other plot hook where she realizes the changeling is fake after taking it and home and the kid is already there waiting. Now there's an episode where the group has to baracade themselves inside house on the night of the next new moon when faeries try to steal her kid(s).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

drrockso20 posted:

Sell me on this game people cause I've been looking for a good Superheroes system

It's real good. A nice balance between crunch and narrative style (uses zone cards instead of maps and minis), and it has the best random character creation system ever in terms of generating fun stuff. Knowledge of the Sentinels setting doesn't matter in the slightest, and it's super easy to make characters out of superheroes from just about any source instead.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Coolness Averted posted:

Just because of time and stuff? Or because it's actually a game you burn yourself out on? I like tactical combat and am interested in a supers game. So far the pandemic has been great for me actually getting my money's worth out of RPGs I've bought, so I'd be interested in getting it if it's a great rules system.

The game didn't do what I wanted from a superhero system. The goods are great, but I also think it has some actual flaws and some for-me flaws.

The Good
  1. The Character Generation. Probably the most fun I've had with a superhero character generation system. Spectaculars comes close, but Sentinels is probably best-in-class.
  2. The Environment Turn. In Sentinels, the Environment gets a turn. Volcanoes explode, construction scaffolding collapses, parents pushing prams wander into the conflict. It's a small idea, but for me, it's a bit of a game-changer. Even in games with really easy ways to change the nature of the scene (Fate, Cortex), I think there's a benefit to going in to scenes with a list of things that can go crazy and taking a defined moment in the turn order to say "I'm the GM. I owe it to my players to spice things up." Again, Spectaculars does this too, but in Spectaculars it's kind of generic, where with Sentinels you're given examples of the difference between a volcano and a construction site.
  3. The GYRO System. Having abilities tied to encounter pacing is awesome. I've loved it in other systems (13th Age's Escalation Die, Cortex's Doom Pool, etc.) but it really sings in Sentinels and is baked in to the core. Also, the variations on "roll 3, pick mid" were interesting.

That being said, the first two I'm porting over to my current supers system easily enough (Marvel Heroic but different), and the third is something I miss, but not enough to ignore what, for me, were the flaws of the system.

The Bad
  1. Narrative Binary. I'll admit this is on me, not the system. For a game that's very fluffy and narrative, I found I really missed the variability to be found in the rolls of PbtA/Genesys/Cortex/Fate/Blades/whatever. I'm fine with a game like Lancer or Fragged Empire having a binary success/fail rolls. But in a game where the only limit to a player's description of a roll is the shared understanding of the fiction and their ability to bullshit, as a GM, not having penalties or difficulty modifiers and not having any way to interact with a roll was... frustrating. One player says "I want to punch a hole in the wall" and another player says "I want to thread my micro missile array past the faberge eggs, through the legs of the hostages, and then hack their guidance system mid-flight to hit the enemies" and my options for both were to say it was automatic, impossible, or roll their dice. It was lacking, for me. But that one's on me.
  2. Non-Action Is Non-Existent. I can't dunk on the system too much, but there are essentially no rules for anything that isn't action. And that's fine, comics are about action. And Sentinels isn't even about comics of all kinds, it's just about the kind of comics you find in the core game of Sentinels of the Multiverse, which is about fighting. But my players had a session where they were investigating a mystery, and we never rolled dice. Not because we didn't want to - we did - and it wasn't too terrible - the role playing was great - but if we're getting together to play a role playing game, we want at least a little game. And you can easily, easily end up with a character who has gently caress-all dice to roll if they're not fighting or leaping across buildings. I'm fine with action-centric, but not action-exclusive.
  3. It's Unbalanced. This one isn't personal, this is actually a problem with the system and would prevent me from wanting to play a longer-term campaign. The system is unfinished. It's all easy to houserule, but I think it needed another stretch of playtesting.
    1. Some of the archetypes are really laser-focused on recreating characters from the Sentinels game, and have way too many abilities focused on that. (E.g., the Elemental Manipulator, a pretty classic archetype that you would see in many comics, has half their abilities focus on self-harm, because that's what the flagship character Absolute Zero does.)
    2. It's not hard to have two characters of grossly different power levels. And I don't mean narratively, in the way that a 1d10 Telekinesis is just better than a 1d10 Icefist, because you can narrate its use with more permission. I mean mechanically. You can easily have a character who is just better, mechanically, than someone else at the table. And by "easily", I mean by accident. You don't need min/max shenanigans; given four PCs, you're highly likely to have one be flat better than another.
    3. The villain design is inspired in its structure, but fundamentally unbalanced. It's very easy to make pushovers or slogs, without knowing that you did so. In terms of difficulty, the villain generation system essentially makes random difficulty villains. Which wouldn't be terrible if knew when you were done how hard the villain was. But you don't, without system insight or seeing it in play.

At the end of the day, I can steal the good parts and the bad parts are intrinsic. People on rpg.net and some of my Discords seem to like it. I think if you're going for Silver Age action/violence it's got some bells and whistles that feel novel. I'm excited to see what the forthcoming supplements look like, but the system just doesn't let me play out the stories I'm accustomed to reading in Image/Marvel comics.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CitizenKeen posted:

The Good
The Character Generation. Probably the most fun I've had with a superhero character generation system. Spectaculars comes close, but Sentinels is probably best-in-class.

The Bad
It's Unbalanced.
How is it compared to Marvel Super Heroes -- where I once rolled "The Human Torch but better" and one of the other players got "Spider-Man but only Spidey-Sense" (or some equivalent, it was an incredibly swingy generation system and that guy got no swinging)?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

Life as an elf/goblin/etc when you could just be yourself and not put on the illusion of being human

One of the players asked if he could get some character growth and pitched the idea of having an adventure focused on helping his younger brother deal with some poo poo. He gave me a brief list of things the npc is interested in (larping, fantasy settings, etc) and I kind of ran with it.

I talked to the player of the long term monster hunter and we decided that of course he would know a place with all of those things so Jack, Noah, and the little brother are going to this place for a fun filled bonding weekend.

Declan (grandson of Poseidon) felt personally insulted by not getting to kill Drago at MONSTERGEDDON so he asked Caren to find a place he could learn to kill a dragon. Caren slammed the first result on Google which is for just a renaissance festival and they'll accidentally end up at the same one as the rest of the party.

The villain of the piece is going to be a lich who is trying to get involved in local politics and take control. His phylactery is going to be at the bottom of an abandoned mine guarded by the ghosts of scab miners and the skeletons of strike breakers

Edit: I do not believe in subtext
Do any of the PCs know it's elfs and such or do they all think it's a normal renaissance festival?

Lost Property: Contains things you lost. Do not touch the exhibits.

A whole bunch of very mundanely named shops, like "Siobháin's Grocery" or "Nails by Aiyana". Completely unremarkable outside the makeup and costumes. e: obviously they're not the owners' real names, they're not suicidal.

"Dragon Fighting Exhibition". Dragon themed arm wrestling competition or backyard MMA exhibition. A lot of the "costumed" attendees seem heavily invested in the outcome.

A facepainting booth. Get a new face for the day!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 7, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

May not fully apply to the ren fair conceit but:

Tunnel of Love. The infamous potion as a fairground ride.

Off to the side an amateur company is putting on Shakespeare. Unbeknownst to anyone, the Puck is the real deal.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Off to the side an amateur company is putting on Shakespeare. Unbeknownst to anyone, the Puck is the real deal.
Puck loses the cosplay contest to someone cosplaying as Puck

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Does anyone have strong opinions on Free League / Fria Ligan's stuff? Particularly Vaesen, Coriolis, Forbidden Lands. I have a friend who's interested but my knowledge of them is only tangential beyond "they have pretty high production values and made Tales From The Loop and the new version of Twilight 2000".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Noah and Jack know it's the real deal, I don't believe Caren and Declan know that it's the real deal

So a good 50/50 mix for the PCs. I'm going to play it as the attendees don't know that it's actually the real a deal though. The people visiting think it's just a high budget year round renfaire

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There are a lot of "I love Halloween! I can be myself!" tropes you can pull from, but a year-round renfaire? In Kentucky?

A traveling circus renaissance fair that moves throughout the country every year and changes in tone (and consequence) as the seasons change, though ...

Spoilers for Netflix's "Utopia": nah lol you already know what i'm talking about if you've watched it

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 7, 2021

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
The food court should absolutely be named "The Gobblin' Market."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FFT posted:

There are a lot of "I love Halloween! I can be myself!" tropes you can pull from, but a year-round renfaire? In Kentucky?

A traveling circus renaissance fair that moves throughout the country every year and changes in tone (and consequence) as the seasons change, though ...

Spoilers for Netflix's "Utopia": nah lol you already know what i'm talking about if you've watched it

It's gotta be Kentucky because Lich McConnell

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Okay, a slightly in-depth explanation of the Sentinels RPG:

The die mechanic involves assembling a pool of three dice: one from your Powers, one from your Qualities (skills), and one based on your Status. Your Status die is based on your remaining HP (the dice here depend on your backgrounds), and if you don't have a relevant Power or Quality you use a d6. You roll and generally speaking when you will take the middle value, often modified with a Boost (bonus) or Hinder (penalty).

So looking at Wraith there (who's basically female Batman, only not a hardass jerk), let's say she wants to sneak past some bad guys while she's still at full health. She'd use her Agility (d8), Stealth (d10), and d10 Status die. Rolling all three gives her a 2, 6, and 9. Her "mid" value is 6, so that's the number she'd use to see if she succeeded. There's staggered success levels; generally a result of 8 is a success with no downside, but as long as you get a positive final value you'll succeed. So in this example, a 6 is a "success with a minor twist". It should be noted that when a player gets a twist on a roll, they get to say what the twist is, not the GM.

The Abilities are basically your feats or special tricks, and are special ways of using your Powers and Qualities. They're split into Green/Yellow/Red, which correspond to both your current health range and the level of the Scene Tracker, which I'll get to in a bit. Basically, you can use any Ability in your current range or above; if Wraith was in the Yellow health zone, she could use her Green or Yellow abilities, but not the red ones. It's basically modeling a sort of desperation/escalation mechanic where you start uncorking your big moves as things get worse.

So let's say Wraith wants to attack someone from stealth while in the Yellow zone. If she didn't have a relevant Ability, she'd just roll Agility/Stealth/Status for d8/d10/d8 and use the middle die as damage. But with Strike from the Shadows, she can attack with Stealth (using the same pool as before) but with the rider of using her lowest die result as a defence until her next turn.

Speaking of: there's no to-hit rolls in this system. When you attack you're assumed to always hit unless someone has a mechanic that says otherwise.

Now that that's all out of the way, I can talk about the Scene Tracker.

The Scene Tracker goes from eigth to twelve rounds and has the same Green/Yellow/Red coloring. Heroes can use abilities based on the color of their Health track or the Scene Tracker; if the Tracker is in the red zone then all of Wraith's abilities are on the table, even if she's at full health.

The important thing about scenes in SCRPG is that they have an end. Each scene has to have a goal: defeat all the goons, stop the alien doodad from spitting out killbots, destroy Baron Blade's Terralunar Impulsion Beam before it pulls the moon into the Earth. If you don't stop whatever bad thing is going to happen before the Scene Tracker runs out, then you fail. This might not mean you fail the adventure (except for the moon thing), but that you're probably going to be delayed, or have to deal with more crap in a future fight or something.

I'm not going to get into the nitty-gritty of how scenes actually work, but that's a pretty high-level overview of the system.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

aldantefax posted:

Anybody playing any games recently? Just wrapped up another GURPS session and gonna run D&D tomorrow, then more GURPS on Friday. Hooray!

I just wrapped up my first Fellowship game last month, I was the Overlord. We had some hiccups, but overall everyone said they enjoyed themselves so mission accomplished!

I'm playing in two other Fellowship games, one PbP and the other voice. There's also a voice Copperhead County game, and we also just had our session zero for a text Rhapsody of Blood game I'm pretty excited for. There's also a 4e D&D game, but I'm still trying to build my character for that one.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I've played more games in the last 6 months than I have in the last 5 years.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

quote:

Okay, a slightly in-depth explanation of the Sentinels RPG:

To expand on random guided character creation a little:

Guided random character creation consists of a series of die rolls that produce a set of options from a list, each of which will tell you the next set of dice to roll for the next list. That happens a total of four times, like this.

Background - This one you just roll 2d10 for, and take either single die value or the combination of both. Backgrounds include stuff like Entertainer, Soldier, Academic, Former Villain, or Otherworldly. They provide you with starting Qualities (as mentioned in the post above) and a Principle selection (values your character lives by, sort of alignment-adjacent). Then it gives you a set of dice to roll. Roll those dice for...

Power Source (Roll whatever dice you were told in the same way as before, pick one or add any two together, and keep track of what kind of dice they were) - Why you have powers. Stuff like Accident, Robotics, Training, Mystic, Nature. Each will provide you a list of potential powers to take, and you'll assign those dice types you just rolled (not values) each to a power. Then it'll tell you to take some abilities, which are tricks you can do with your powers, and some guidelines on what powers can be used for what abilities. Then dice are provided again which leads to...

Archetype (Same dice trick) - How you use your powers. Stuff like Marksman, Physical Powerhouse, Flyer, Minion Maker. Once again you'll be provided a list of powers and qualities and instructions on how to use the dice you just rolled, a list of abilities to choose and slot powers into, and this time, another Principle as well. Then it's time to roll (it's always 2D10 this time) for...

Personality - Stuff like Alluring, Stoic, Wisecracking, Angry. What this stage does primarily is tell you your dice spread for the third column of dice. Some characters will get stronger as the fight gets more desperate (D6, D8, D10), others are strong early but begin to falter, and a few just stay solid all the way. Each also provides your Out ability, which is the thing you can still do when your HP hits zero and you're effectively otherwise out of the fight (you still get a turn when you're down, you decide why you're down, and you can still contribute), and will tell you to make up a Quality to fit your character at D8. Just a chance to round out there. It'll also tell you to go pick two Red Abilities (everyone gets two) which are the powerful abilities you unlock either at low health or when the fight is getting desparate. Unlike other abilities, the Red aren't assigned by archetype or anything, they're just divided up by what kind of powers or qualities they're attached to.

There's a few other steps, mostly just picking your Principles, health calculation, and a retcon step where you can move a number or two around to fix little holes in the design.

Balance issues can crop up. Some of the backgrounds just aren't great, like Legacy, because all they give you is D8s. D8s aren't bad, but they aren't D10s or D12s, and your character may feel a little less intense than someone carefully building around one really good power at D12. They're mostly minor though, since generally you're rolling a pool and taking the middle result, and you're never forced into one specific option and can build around trouble in one step with the next or with the Retcon step.

That said in answer to the question about Marvel Heroes, it is almost assuredly more balanced in general than MSHRPG, especially after you start introducing sourcebooks like the Ultimate Powers Guide. I'm guessing CitizenKeen has houseruled the hell out of their MSHRPG game and doesn't really want to start that process all over again, which is totally fair.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 7, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'll write more later, but I'm playing Marvel Heroic Role Playing, the Cortex game, not Marvel Super Heroes, the TSR game. I can't speak to the TSR game, but MHR (by the same Cam Banks who designed Sentinels) is in my mind a better balanced game.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Agent Rush posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I've played more games in the last 6 months than I have in the last 5 years.

Same! I've gotten to play all the games I looked at and thought "this looks really cool, but I'll never actually have the chance to play it." Silver lining to the whole situation, I guess.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

bewilderment posted:

Does anyone have strong opinions on Free League / Fria Ligan's stuff? Particularly Vaesen, Coriolis, Forbidden Lands. I have a friend who's interested but my knowledge of them is only tangential beyond "they have pretty high production values and made Tales From The Loop and the new version of Twilight 2000".

Their games are very well made, and the rules work very well for what they are, but be careful that it's a game you want to play. Take, for example, Mutant: Year Zero (I know if wasn't one you mentioned, but it's a good example of tone vs. the game as played). On the surface it looks a lot like Gamma World, with characters having amusing animal attributes in a radiation-heavy post apocalypse with weird tech and treasure seeking journeys into ruined cities. When you play it, though, it's nothing like the freewheeling tone of Gamma World. The game is grim and brutal and just managing to survive is the purpose, and a real challenge.

You basically have a set time limit for your Ark that you need to fix or everyone there will eventually just dwindle and die off. Journeys into the lands outside the ark are rough and will almost certainly result in your characters getting some rot, which often permanently limits them. You're probably going to lose at least one character to just being rotted out. For the first while you will almost certainly lose more people in your ark than your efforts could potentially save or recruit. Even the endgame victory condition, which is to find a way for mutants to procreate, is basically the starting situation for most other post-apocalypse games. Needless to say, you need to calibrate your expectations or you'll have a bad time.

Forbidden Lands is a little closer to original/AD&D. The journey rules and rules for fortifications are fantastic and feel like they fit a missing piece of the puzzle into older D&D experiences. That said, combat is again quite brutal, probably on par with low level AD&D. In my experience, keeping people with skills for leading the way, scouting, hunting, and the rest are at least as important as combat skills. Probably more so, honestly. The game does a good job of handling the OD&D feel of being desperate raiders trying to scrape together enough money and manpower to improve their lives. It will not do a good job of handling high fantasy heroics.

I hear Coriolis does a better job of feeling less deadly and slightly more heroic, but I haven't played. Twilight 2000 is being keyed toward being a similarly brutal survival simulator but with a gear porn slant to the rules. So far the drafts look pretty good and the tone matches the original game fairly well. I haven't played Tales From the Loop or the Flood stuff, nor Vaesen so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can jump in on that.

My opinion of the Year Zero engine in general is that they do a good job of adapting it around and it's simple enough to grasp for new players. As your friend said, the production values are top of the line. I like the company and I like the games. My biggest suggestion would be to have a discussion with the players for what the game will actually be and let them work together to make a cohesive group with complementary skills.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What new piece of game design tech are you most interested in right now? By ‘game design tech’, I mean widgets like ’threats’, clocks’ or ‘advantage/disadvantage’.

I just read Belonging outside Belonging, so right now I’m thinking about ‘setting elements’ and how GMing work can be distributed through a play group.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I like designing small bits and pieces but also big bits and pieces so I’m thinking about importing mechanics from board games to pen and paper games for resource mechanics. I don’t know that it’s new school since Weapons of the Gods was circa 2005 thru 2009, but I have reworked its Destiny system to use for my Megadungeon game for developing ongoing storylines via the “Mystery System”.

I also have gotten back on the boat with DramaSystem and its dramatic framework using resources to get more intense dramatic scenes with petitioner/granter, force/refuse, and so on.

I don’t know that I’ve found anything released in the last year or two and went “neat! I’m gonna use that immediately” though, but I’m sure there is cool new stuff out there and interested in seeing what pops up. MORK BORG’s “Black Psalms” as a concept is pretty neat since it kind of introduces legacy mechanics into the game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DalaranJ posted:

What new piece of game design tech are you most interested in right now? By ‘game design tech’, I mean widgets like ’threats’, clocks’ or ‘advantage/disadvantage’.

I just read Belonging outside Belonging, so right now I’m thinking about ‘setting elements’ and how GMing work can be distributed through a play group.

Possible cheat answer: solo oracles, they're nowhere new but with Ironsworn et al we're approaching (though not even close to reaching) functional solo emulation of group games. Right now the dynamic still isn't there, but with the luck people had integrating their games with AI Dungeon up until they announced they were wrecking their business model, I'm hopeful it's not terribly far off.
If that's a cheat answer by not being new... honestly I don't keep up with "modern" game design very well, so I'm not sure. There are rules and subsystems here and there that I'm interested in but that either don't adapt out to other games well or are just different implementations of existing tech. (If/when Red Markets F&F resumes I think I'm just about to hit No Budget No Buy...)
Actually that's a half answer that's still useful - rules switches. A lot of games like to go "here is one tone for the game, all of the rules as written support this exact tone, you cam diverge from it but you'll be changing rules". Red Markets explicitly lays out optional rule switches with Boom and Bust to tune the game's main systems on the sliding scale of genre from "gory zombie action movie" to "crushing poverty simulator with zombies to make it less depressing", all independent and configurable as desired. This is nothing new to someone playing GURPS or whatever, but it's refreshing to see explicit support for multiple play styles written into a game with concrete mechanics to emphasize or deemphasize themes you do or don't want in your game.
It is, of course, much harder to playtest and balance, so I don't see it becoming common.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

More of a board game thing than an RPG thing but I have a vague fascination with the legacy mechanics in stuff like Risk Legacy. I say "vague fascination" because I don't live with anybody I could boardgame with, the people I boardgame with the most often are very disinterested (and I haven't seen them in person in over a year), and the people I do game with the most often have nearly no interest in boardgaming, so I haven't gotten to play with them and I don't think I ever will.

My favorite recent RPG is by a wide margin Nice Marines, and part of what really charmed me about it was including consequences for going over the target number. Really added to the sense of fun and wonder of the game. And I suppose it does include a piece of tech/trend that I think is more or less unalloyed good: 1 page rulebooks. Which I'd practically just call "decent editing."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DalaranJ posted:

I really like diceless token economy stuff at the moment, and 'any players not in the scene can take on the role of external forces' which I didn't pinch from Belonging Outside Belonging because I've never read Dream Apart/Dream Askew, but rather from other games which have built on the BOB framework.

For more tactical games I'm also liking 'all attacks auto-hit, but if you make the attack roll you get a bonus' which I don't think I've seen any game do yet but is sort of floating around in game design circles. I especially like the idea that your auto-hit conveys some sort of status effect (poison buildup, push, mark, etc.) but to do actual damage you have to make the attack roll. That feels like it would avoid 'death is the ultimate control' by basically forcing players to make use of their status applying/exploiting abilities.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Gloomhaven does this but the 'attack roll' is mandatory instead of voluntary. Even on a full miss or 0 damage you still inflict any status effects of the attack ability you're using.

There are some games (Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland) which have traded rolling to-hit for just rolling damage in combat engagements. I like the idea behind it but none of the games I am running at the moment have it implemented, though I may entertain the change as something in the future to propose and implement.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm fascinated by the enemy AI system in Emberwind, though I don't particularly care for the rest of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Tulip posted:

More of a board game thing than an RPG thing but I have a vague fascination with the legacy mechanics in stuff like Risk Legacy. I say "vague fascination" because I don't live with anybody I could boardgame with, the people I boardgame with the most often are very disinterested (and I haven't seen them in person in over a year), and the people I do game with the most often have nearly no interest in boardgaming, so I haven't gotten to play with them and I don't think I ever will.

Legacy can work well in co-op games, but in competitive games it can be very easy to break balance. Charterstone just about gets away with it but Risk Legacy can very easily break down quickly, in part because missiles are a terrible design.