Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Agent Rush posted:

They did just do Vampire Shadow and Witch Rouge for Sonic Dash, hopefully they finish the Halloween trio.

They gave Vamp Shadow and Witch Rouge last year, and they've gone on to other old characters, so I'm not hopeful.

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiosity, the most recent update to Sonic Dash has a note saying to “keep an eye out for the return of an old legend”. Any idea what that’s referring to?

Not sure, but the rest of the update was a duplicate of an old one, so I'm not sure it's accurate. In practice the update added a link to Sega's social media accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Agent Rush posted:

In comic news, the next issue of Bad Guys dropped today. It's pretty great, with some cool action and character beats for the main baddies. It was also pretty neat to see Ponett's speculation get semi-confirmed at the end.

I liked the throwback to the sonic heroes power cores, that was neat

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm always impressed by how the comic can work something so minor from the games like the freakin Sonic Heroes powerups of all things and make them plot relevant

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

They gave Vamp Shadow and Witch Rouge last year, and they've gone on to other old characters, so I'm not hopeful.

Not sure, but the rest of the update was a duplicate of an old one, so I'm not sure it's accurate. In practice the update added a link to Sega's social media accounts.

Oh, I didn't know they were repeat events. That's a shame.

Skeletome posted:

I liked the throwback to the sonic heroes power cores, that was neat

TwoPair posted:

I'm always impressed by how the comic can work something so minor from the games like the freakin Sonic Heroes powerups of all things and make them plot relevant

Yep, that was her prediction when she pointed out the Bad Guy's logo had the Sonic Heroes wheel in it. This is already a much stronger start than the last mini-series, hopefully the last two issues hold up. Every character involved in this story, except maybe Mimic, got a pretty good moment in this issue. Even Eggman has a good bit where he shows off knowing Sonic and Tails well enough to figure something weird is going on.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
New issue for the main book dropped today! It's a pretty standard transition issue, where they wrap up one plot and deepen another but it's pretty good overall. Stanley's off to a good start, and the new characters in the IDW run have all been good to great additions so far so I'm looking forward to what Belle has in store.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Haven't posted in here in a while but I've been enjoying the series and Bad Guys seems promising so far!

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Rogue, Cream and Amy make a fun team and I love the idea that Rouge is a bad influence

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Something about Belle and the way Tails is treating her just screams “love interest” to me. If I were a betting man I’d wager that at some point in the future she’ll become a flesh and blood animal and start dating Tails.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Alfredo Jones posted:

Something about Belle and the way Tails is treating her just screams “love interest” to me. If I were a betting man I’d wager that at some point in the future she’ll become a flesh and blood animal and start dating Tails.

on the other hand Sega frowns on giving the games characters love interests (outside of Amy's crush on Sonic) plus (and yes I know this arc is written by Evan Stanley and not Ian) Ian himself these days wants to be as far away from shipping wars as possible

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
New issue of Bad Guys dropped today! Things are coming to a head, and it looks to be an explosive finale! It reminds me a bit of the Eggman's Dozen arc from Sonic Universe, seeing as how it's shaping up to be bad guys vs. bad guys.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The final issue of Bad Guys dropped today. Overall it was a pretty great series! The ending leads perfectly into the main book with Starline's re-appearance there, and the other bad guys are also in position for new stories with them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Glad to hear it turned out alright. I'm gonna pick it up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, really enjoyed this series despite my initial misgivings. Thought it stuck the landing pretty well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This official Christmas Carol gag is rather amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNWIMnu5Hw

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The new issue of the main book dropped today. It finishes the Chao Races and Badnik Bases arc, all told it's pretty satisfying! They're leaning pretty hard on Belle's creator being Mr. Tinker, to the point I'd be surprised if it turned out to be someone else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

The new issue of the main book dropped today. It finishes the Chao Races and Badnik Bases arc, all told it's pretty satisfying! They're leaning pretty hard on Belle's creator being Mr. Tinker, to the point I'd be surprised if it turned out to be someone else.

Oh poo poo I didn't catch that. That would be pretty great though.

It's kinda weird that no one seemed to react to Starline having superpowers all of a sudden other than "dang he got away"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't catch that. That would be pretty great though.

It's kinda weird that no one seemed to react to Starline having superpowers all of a sudden other than "dang he got away"

Like most stuff they deal with, I can assume they linked it to weird tech.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Shadow surreptitiously throwing an apple to the chao is adorable

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like most stuff they deal with, I can assume they linked it to weird tech.

Yeah, it's not like super-speed, super-strength, or flight are unheard of on Sonic's world. I mean this seriously, despite how sarcastic it might look.

Skeletome posted:

Shadow surreptitiously throwing an apple to the chao is adorable

Shadow loving Chao is a nice bit of characterization for him, as opposed to the edgehog stuff he's been saddled with for most of IDW's run.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

TwoPair posted:

He already had superpowers before that, only it was portals. They'd just assume the new glove thing does new stuff, kinda like how no one bats an eye when Eggman pulls out a GBE from Blame! because why wouldn't he have sci-fi guns.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Enjoy the new thread tag, folks!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Finally caught up with Bad Guys. Pretty good and offers a solid base for newer stories with those villains, regardless of writer.

Also, sort of related, but Baldry's voice as Robotnik has a special place in my heart. I love when people out there remix clips from AoStH into cool songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXCjZESUeFg

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

Finally caught up with Bad Guys. Pretty good and offers a solid base for newer stories with those villains, regardless of writer.

Also, sort of related, but Baldry's voice as Robotnik has a special place in my heart. I love when people out there remix clips from AoStH into cool songs

Where is my machine learning algorithm for long John baldry!?

Aka. 15.ai

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Saoshyant posted:

:allears:

This is amazing, and there's more than one!?

Of all the Robotnik/Eggman voices I've heard, I'd say Baldry, Cummings, and Pollock are all pretty great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Have we ever had a bad Robotnik/Eggman?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Gary Chalk in Underground was kind of meh in my opinion (he sounded too much like just a generic villain) but otherwise not to my knowledge, no.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gorilla Optimus Prime does not a good Robotnik voice make.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

drrockso20 posted:

Jim Cummings was pretty bad, even before the accusations. Even as a kid SatAM didn't really resonate that well because it had nothing to do with the games. The games were bright and colorful and semi-abstract, but the show was too bleak and dramatic.

At least AoStH tried to ape the aesthetics and tone of the games, and Long John Baldry, like all good Robotnik/Eggman voice actors, sounded like he had a blast doing it. SatAM Robotnik just sounded angry and bitter and sibilant all the time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Jim Cummings was pretty bad, even before the accusations. Even as a kid SatAM didn't really resonate that well because it had nothing to do with the games. The games were bright and colorful and semi-abstract, but the show was too bleak and dramatic.

At least AoStH tried to ape the aesthetics and tone of the games, and Long John Baldry, like all good Robotnik/Eggman voice actors, sounded like he had a blast doing it. SatAM Robotnik just sounded angry and bitter and sibilant all the time.

I think Flynn's Eggman in the Archie run did a good job of keeping the vileness of SatAM Eggman while keeping the pure joyfulness inherent to him as a character.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Saoshyant posted:

Gorilla Optimus Prime does not a good Robotnik voice make.

Egg not munky

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And now, a summery of Sonic The Hedgehog (IDW)

https://twitter.com/The_Hydroxian/status/1357930940736172033?s=20

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bee posted:

I think Flynn's Eggman in the Archie run did a good job of keeping the vileness of SatAM Eggman while keeping the pure joyfulness inherent to him as a character.

Even in the early days of the Archie comic they made Robotnik a bit goofier than he was in the show (sort of a fusion of the SatAm and AOSTH incarnations of the character).

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

:allears:

I quite like Starline as a villain defined by his hubris, both in how it's his undoing and how he works to overcome it.

Larryb posted:

Even in the early days of the Archie comic they made Robotnik a bit goofier than he was in the show (sort of a fusion of the SatAm and AOSTH incarnations of the character).

Yeah, pretty much this. Comic Robotnik/Eggman has always been a silly enemy who can suddenly become deadly serious.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Today, #37 comes out. I haven't read it yet, but I finally caught up with the Evan Stanley run (four issues so far) and it's... fluff? Nothing bad, but not very interesting either. This new character Belle is the worse, though. Super on the nose, figuratively and literally (clown nose for christ's sake). I hope #37 is better.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1370181235495034881?s=20

Saoshyant posted:

Today, #37 comes out. I haven't read it yet, but I finally caught up with the Evan Stanley run (four issues so far) and it's... fluff? Nothing bad, but not very interesting either. This new character Belle is the worse, though. Super on the nose, figuratively and literally (clown nose for christ's sake). I hope #37 is better.

I know this is a weeks old post but:

Evan's going for more of an episodic-ish downtime stretch of issues to serve as cool down after the Metal Virus stuff (meanwhile it's been announced that Ian's writing the story that'll run in #41-44)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Penders is back, baby!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1372620977578840065?s=19

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 18, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Sonic Learns to Drive" sounds like the greatest thing possible. Better have somebody (Knuckles?) to act as the Piccolo.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Gad dangit, Now I'm older than Dr. Robotnik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

The...Mcelroy Mcelroys?