Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Carlosologist posted:

it seems very smart to fire all the people the star player likes

The Bible basically says that God wants us to be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Calling it now: a player will punch Easterby in the locker room midway through next season

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Calling it now: a player will punch Easterby in the locker room midway through next season

https://mobile.twitter.com/dtexanz/status/1357744076012060675

yes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I understand that a lot of pro athletes are very religious. But how the gently caress does this appeal to them?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I understand that a lot of pro athletes are very religious. But how the gently caress does this appeal to them?

This is what white Boomers think black people want to hear

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I seriously want all the players on the Texans to file their retirement papers tomorrow.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

fartknocker posted:

Praise be to Satan that I am not a fan of the Houston Texans.

so glad I chose the smart and stable franchise of the detroit lions to not go through such embrassment.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I seriously want all the players on the Texans to file their retirement papers tomorrow.

Nah, wait until after free agency or the draft or June 1st. Whatever fucks up the Texans the most.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is like they are trying to burn the organization to the ground.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Texans are doing what hundreds of businesses have done before, regime change centered around loyalty to the new top brass. The only difference here is that they're doing it in full view of the national sports media. Hell, I'm sure this exact scenario has played out before in the NFL but without the QB being wise to the scam component.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i'm very certain all the pats players who gushed about Easterby did so because they knew the brass liked him

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy shitttttt Houston

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

so glad I chose the smart and stable franchise of the detroit lions to not go through such embrassment.

If the Texans make Deshaun retire at 25, that's significantly more of a fuckup than the Lions breaking down Megatron by 30

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I need this to be part of the TV dramatization of this saga.

Caserio and Easterby are in an office late at night. Easterby is marking up the playbook replacing all the terminology with bible verse numbers. Caserio looks down at his phone and his dead eyes grow wide. “Uh, Jack? Retirement papers just came through.” “What? For who?” “............ everyone.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I need this to be part of the TV dramatization of this saga.

Caserio and Easterby are in an office late at night. Easterby is marking up the playbook replacing all the terminology with bible verse numbers. Caserio looks down at his phone and his dead eyes grow wide. “Uh, Jack? Retirement papers just came through.” “What? For who?” “............ everyone.”

The funny part is, there's a salary floor, and if you're below it, the league just takes the money up to the floor and adds it as salary to the remaining players.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Imagine that one backup OL who hosed up the paperwork suddenly making $150m

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

well I mean, Jesus was black, so

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Incredible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What the gently caress

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

everybody loves a blaccent*

*offer does not apply to people of color

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I just watched this how the gently caress does anyone want to be associated with that franchise?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

these videos really take me back to...every evangelical church I ever went to lol

lovely standup comic with offensive, unfunny material is the vibe a lot of these guys go for these days.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

these videos really take me back to...every evangelical church I ever went to lol

lovely standup comic with offensive, unfunny material is the vibe a lot of these guys go for these days.

Usually they don’t manage to stage a hostile takeover of a professional football team.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

The funny part is, there's a salary floor, and if you're below it, the league just takes the money up to the floor and adds it as salary to the remaining players.

I'm trying to find more info about this because I'm otherwise convinced this must all be part of a Marlins-esque scheme to squeeze more money out of the franchise by reducing it to the bare minimum

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm trying to find more info about this because I'm otherwise convinced this must all be part of a Marlins-esque scheme to squeeze more money out of the franchise by reducing it to the bare minimum

It's buried in the CBA somewhere, but from the wikipedia:

quote:

Violating the salary floor regulations does not result in any fines or competitive penalties; instead, deficiencies are placed into a pool and distributed among all players who were on the regular roster of the offending team during a four-year floor cycle, prorated according to time on the roster in said period.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

Yeah this sort of stuff is completely foreign to northeast Catholics. Have some dignity!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

remembering this from the original SI story...

quote:

Easterby also began occasionally addressing the team on the nights preceding games, turning the meeting room into his pulpit. But some of his efforts to relate to the majority-Black roster occasionally failed him; in some cases he even caused offense. During one Saturday-night meeting in 2019, Easterby, who is white and cites Martin Luther King Jr. as a role model, asked players to think back to when they were growing up “playing ball with Ray-Ray and Ki-Ki and them,” according to three people in the room for these meetings. Some saw the language as more of a misguided attempt to fit in—players often called Easterby a “try-hard.” But at least one person was bothered enough by what they saw as a use of Black stereotypes that they debated saying something to Easterby. (They decided not to take on that conversation with a game the next day.) A few weeks later, one of the sources says, Easterby used similar language again.

:laffo:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ehud posted:

This is absolutely true. The less they know about Jesus, the more of this stereotype they lean into.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Usually they don’t manage to stage a hostile takeover of a professional football team.

Yeah normally it's a hostile takeover of a federal government

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah it’s actually funny the evangelicals have sold out so much they are basically along for the ride now.

Trump showed how far they have fallen in actually dictating versus just rubber stamping

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I love that somehow the jags went 1-15 and somehow were only the second biggest shitshow in the division. Titan up

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

tarbrush posted:

Imagine that one backup OL who hosed up the paperwork suddenly making $150m
A malfunctioning fax machine results in a massive windfall. GMs hate this trick!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

CannonFodder posted:

A malfunctioning fax machine results in a massive windfall. GMs hate this trick!

Head coaches hate it
GMs become legend for loving up the machine

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
so under the right circumstances, an owner could make more money without players than he could with a good team

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Magicpants posted:

so under the right circumstances, an owner could make more money without players than he could with a good team

the Lions model, yes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Magicpants posted:

Isn’t this basically what the Bengals do

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magicpants posted:

There's basically two flows of revenue, national (tv contracts, merchandising and licensing) and local (tickets, stadium crap, corporate sponsors).

National revenue is about $300m per team per year.

Local revenue is a black box, but we know the Packers made about $210m last year.

So yeah, I think it'd be super loving easy to make money despite fielding an rear end team for years on end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Knowing football it might be easier to make money fielding a poo poo team

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Cheap, lovely and profitable was how the Cardinals did business for decades, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
so jack easterby purges the team, signs himself as the only player to a vet minimum deal, takes the players cash and the owners cash and books it