Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Sad to see that Pedro Gomez passed today. Don't know anything about him personally but I appreciated his reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The only thing I remember about Pedro is that he was endlessly searching for the gyroball but maybe that was Passan

:rip: regardless

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Sad to see that Pedro Gomez passed today. Don't know anything about him personally but I appreciated his reporting.

He was to Bonds during the home run chase as Ahmad Rashad was to Jordan in the 90’s.

Also: We’re up next!*

*Offer may not apply if a billionaire can save a nickel.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-05/steve-cohen-makes-mets-fans-among-wall-street-s-bond-analysts

quote:

And next week, the Mets plan to take advantage of surging demand for lower-rated municipal bonds to refinance $540 million of debt issued to fund the construction of Citi Field more than a decade ago. The deal will reduce debt service payments by about $50 million over the next three years -- giving the ball club breathing room to weather the risks of reduced attendance because of the pandemic.

Holders of the new debt will benefit from an increase in the percentage of ticket revenue available to pay debt service by 40%, equating to about $43 million annually before 2020.

Mets are in better financial shape then were 3 months ago, independent of the pandemic.

Hopefully the savings can be rolled back into the team and not used to make up losses incurred during failed shorts on garbage stocks.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

Was reading this Ringer article on the Bauer signing and they were talking about some of his controversial Tweets one in which he challenged if humans really where contributing that much to climate change and when I clicked the tweet the top reply stood out.

:prepop:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I should have highlighted the last sentence cause all three sentences is too much to expect him to read. He responded to me of course with a graphs saying "welp looks like previous warm periods to me"

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 8, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

How long has he had his name in Japanese on Twitter?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blossommirage posted:

How long has he had his name in Japanese on Twitter?

He did it sometime this offseason to "troll" everybody into thinking he was gonna go to Japan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1358853420199862286

I'm here for this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

At least they're being honest about it this time

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Less dingers is good. I can't believe how ridiculous the 2010s were with the juiced ball and how much it changed the game. Bring back small ball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Less homers
No shift
More contact

Imho

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Can't wait to see what unexpected consequences this has lmao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Less dingers is good. I can't believe how ridiculous the 2010s were with the juiced ball and how much it changed the game. Bring back small ball.

Shame this man

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cool, next move the mound back.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

euphronius posted:

Less homers
No shift
More contact

Imho

Sure

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Shame this man

Launch angle is dumb and striking out every other at bat is boring.

Also bring back base stealing and pure speed guys.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

can't wait to see what kind of killer plan rob manfred gots for these balls. gonna get a new form of three true outcomes in the post-modern deadball era - strike out, walk, or fly out

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine being excited for fewer dingers

just imagine that level of shame

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still can't process I live in the "we want less home runs" era.

I blame people trying to justify no DH.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The current game of baseball, both economically and on the field is the worst it's been in my lifetime. This can't be that negative compared to current state. More contact, less homers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i feel like a lot of you don't remember how much fun smallball can be

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like base hits but if you think people only strike out because they're trying to hit home runs too much I have some news for you.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bewbies posted:

i feel like a lot of you don't remember how much fun smallball can be

i love dingers but i do miss having guys stealing loving stupid numbers of bases, like any time they get on everyone knows they're going and they're daring you to stop them.

we need a new Rickey Henderson or at least a new Vince Coleman.

edit: I could not love Acuña more and I hope he does get a 40-40 season but he has no business leading the league with 37 measly steals like in 2019.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

The current game of baseball, both economically and on the field is the worst it's been in my lifetime. This can't be that negative compared to current state. More contact, less homers.

I mean just look at this, you sickos have mcmagic on your side.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Juiced balls but only for pitcher abs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Manfred saw mcmagic's top 10 hitter in baseball post about Lemahieu and was so disgusted he decided to change the ball.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

Launch angle is dumb and striking out every other at bat is boring.

Also bring back base stealing and pure speed guys.

This guy gets it.

I enjoy dingers as much as the next guy. But this is getting out of hand.

Also yes, gently caress strikeouts.

Steals and hit and runs are awesome. So is stringing together a bunch of hits in a row instead of just waiting for one of your bombers to hit a 3-run homer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

I like base hits but if you think people only strike out because they're trying to hit home runs too much I have some news for you.

Yeah, I think this is it. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that hitters are hitting HRs and striking out because they can't manage to not hit into the shift or because they think the ball travels a little farther. I imagine it has more to do with strength training, launch angle, and a change in stat analysis and coaching.

I don't really care if they mess with the baseballs as long as everyone is using the same ones. And if the NL really wants to play with a handicap then so be it. I think the "no shift" thing is stupid and lame punishing defenses for being better at their jobs than hitters. but I also don't think its really gonna change guys going for HRs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If there's one thing I miss it's seeing a guy get bunted over to second and then stranded by a popout

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

If there's one thing I miss it's seeing a guy get bunted over to second and then stranded by a popout

It's almost as exciting as the guy who hits .220 and strikes out 200+ times per year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bunt singles are more exciting than home runs, it's a truth you all know deep down inside but are too afraid to admit

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

Bunt singles are more exciting than home runs, it's a truth you all know deep down inside but are too afraid to admit

Idk about MORE exciting but it's pretty drat awesome watching a speedy guy lay down a perfect bunt and end up on first.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if you sickos really want more contact and fewer strikeouts then the mound needs to move back. Pitches are too good at the current distance to be able to do anything against them except make feeble and useless contact

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I guess Nick Madrigal is SAS's favourite player then.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tony Campana is the ideal ball player

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

if you sickos really want more contact and fewer strikeouts then the mound needs to move back. Pitches are too good at the current distance to be able to do anything against them except make feeble and useless contact

Or the mound has to be lowered. There's a school of thought that moving the mound back might actually make things worse because you are able to add even more movement to your pitches.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Banning the shift is stupid

e: I don't care for guys hitting 200 who strike out 200 times either, but I definitely dont want to watch guys hit an empty 290 with no power and OBP but they are fast

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 8, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nodoze posted:

Banning the shift is stupid

e: I don't care for guys hitting 200 who strike out 200 times either, but I definitely dont want to watch guys hit an empty 290 with no power and OBP but they are fast

No, the shift is strategic and if a guy can't figure out how to hit the other way that's his problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Inspector_666 posted:

Or the mound has to be lowered. There's a school of thought that moving the mound back might actually make things worse because you are able to add even more movement to your pitches.

I thought part of it was just that pitcher mechanics have been repeated tens of thousands of times and now you’re asking them to throw further? Wasn’t injury risk a thing that makes moving the mound further a non starter?