Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

i hesitate to think that this may be the start of "the happening" for tesla but as someone who works in manufacturing qa (which is less intense than automotive qa by a factor of 10), some of the poo poo i've seen come out of those factories i can guarantee they are fudging their qa approvals bigly, or having the qa rejections overridden by management. and the recalls will eat them whole

panel gaps? sure. using home depot linoleum for your battery tray, cut with a box cutter? fuggetaboutit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They send cars to customers that aren't even fully painted.

Don't buy a Tesla.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tesla seems to have some of the best technology and innovation inside a car company that doesn't know how to build cars. And they're run by a nutjob.

Other than that, great company.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lightpole posted:

What the gently caress, buy backs are an extremely questionable use of capital. Bit coins? A manufacturing company that hasn't made a profit, unable to find a practical use for capital and going with $1.5 billion in bit coins. Memes used to parody life but life now parodies memes.

Wait you think it's weird the dude who spent his south African precious stones billions on digital currency is parody?

He "founded" PayPal. He's always been hiding his money in the cloud.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
For Musk its perfectly on form and speaks directly to Tesla investors. For a serious company in the automotive sector thats just insane.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

facialimpediment posted:

Tesla seems to have some of the best technology and innovation inside a car company that doesn't know how to build cars.

lmao no they dont. What innovation and tech are they using that makes them the best?

I'm really not trying to be snarky! It is such a poo poo company that does everything in the stupidest way possible.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
These days tesla customers have to accept their deliveries without actually getting to look inside or test drive the car, they've gotten rid of their 7 day no quibble return policy plus they axed a fair bit of their QC department in like 2019. I'm sure these are all unrelated.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Musk-adjacent but Grimes increasingly appears to have lost her poo poo too. I think she’s one acid trip away from tweeting “Daddy Musk will make anime REAL!”

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
$TSLA went up like 600% over the last year on the back of literally nothing at all so if I was in at this point I'd probably call it quits lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lmao no they dont. What innovation and tech are they using that makes them the best?

I'm really not trying to be snarky! It is such a poo poo company that does everything in the stupidest way possible.

gently caress Tesla, I'm not too well-versed on their intricacies, and it was more to set up the punchline. I more mean that Tesla did a lot of high-tech interface and general electric car stuff first, or at least first in a mass-market kind of way, in said stupidest way possible. Now the big automakers are catching on, catching up, and eliminating a lot of the dumb.

I guess my best example would be autopilot, where Tesla was like ELON'S STRONG DADDY CAR DRIVES ITSELF as it murders pedestrians and garbage cans. Now the big automakers have lane assist, automatic braking, and they just so happen to give it to you inside a functional car.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
In ice and snow, take it slow

I WANT TO PLAY, LET'S GTA

https://twitter.com/WISN12News/status/1358861599327612930?s=19

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Musk pushed the fast charging infrastructure and built his battery factory, as well as other basic parts to increase the viability of electric cars. Tesla arguably brought electric vehicles mainstream, doing a lot of the grunt work to get them accepted. They also changed the way people thought about cars and electrical infrastructure. It's possible to be both visionary and complete poo poo.

First movers don't always reap the benefits and in this case everyone figured the legacy car companies wouldn't be able to come up to par with Tesla despite their cash and experience doing so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Musk showed up an at a small company that already had a winning product (the Roadster) with a big bag of cash and pushed the founders out.

Everything he’s done since then has been to squander cash yet keep attracting even more from investors.

It’s not wrong to say that Tesla was important to the BEV renaissance, but it would have been better with almost anyone else at the helm.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

it's cool how when racists run over protesters the right goes 'PLAY STUPID GAMES WIN STUPID PRIZES LOL' but then one of them dies of COVID when that poo poo could have been prevented and they say "HE WAS DEDICATED TO SERVICE GOD WANTED HIM HOME'.

Can they all go home then? drat brah

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

lightpole posted:

Musk pushed the fast charging infrastructure and built his battery factory, as well as other basic parts to increase the viability of electric cars. Tesla arguably brought electric vehicles mainstream, doing a lot of the grunt work to get them accepted. They also changed the way people thought about cars and electrical infrastructure. It's possible to be both visionary and complete poo poo.

First movers don't always reap the benefits and in this case everyone figured the legacy car companies wouldn't be able to come up to par with Tesla despite their cash and experience doing so.

otoh

https://twitter.com/annamphillips/status/1358788074575167490?s=19

Feel like there's a better way to fix pollution than to put it all on EVs run by an insane narcissist

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Elon's exit strategy is to run off with all the Tesla buttcoins after Tesla stock crashes. Bing bong, so simple.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eej posted:

otoh

https://twitter.com/annamphillips/status/1358788074575167490?s=19

Feel like there's a better way to fix pollution than to put it all on EVs run by an insane narcissist

Obviously the solution is to turn the insane, oversized gas guzzlers into insane, oversized EVs :shepface:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My mother's getting the vaccine today.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

In ice and snow, take it slow

I WANT TO PLAY, LET'S GTA

https://twitter.com/WISN12News/status/1358861599327612930?s=19

That’s pretty neat that you can see the airbag inflators go off when the car is about halfway down.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Excellent

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My dad was contacted by the health dept, he's getting one by the end of the month. I'm still on a list.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Midjack posted:

That’s pretty neat that you can see the airbag inflators go off when the car is about halfway down.

Im kind of curious now if there is research to determine increased risk from snowfall gathered in the shoulder to cause vehicle launching, which is a thing we talk about with curb heights all the time. Might have a look at the TRB and report back.

Syrian Lannister posted:

My dad was contacted by the health dept, he's getting one by the end of the month. I'm still on a list.

I'm sure my company will know before I do so I'm just kind of hanging out. Its not like we are going back to the office anytime soon.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

I keep getting offers for it but I don't bother going anywhere so I've been holding off so others can get it. It feels like there's two lines here in the Bay Area at least.

Edit: being vaccinated is the new hot thing to put in your dating profile

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

Here in Western Australia, we had a single security guard from a quarantine hotel test positive to the UK strain 2 weeks ago, after having been among the population - no confirmed community transmission - and they locked the entire region and two neighbouring regions down for 5 days - no non-essential travel, full mask mandate, schools closed on the first week of term and daycare only for essential workers. For the next 2 weeks, masks are mandatory in public for adults and high school students unless eating, drinking or exercising alone, and you cannot enter a public place without signing a log book or checking in via an app for contact tracing purposes or risk a massive fine. They tested tens of thousands of people during the last week, and a handful of wingnuts were arrested for not wearing masks.

We've also managed to avoid community transmission for the entirety of the pandemic, and will be imposing 2 week mandatory quarantine on all international arrivals and interstate arrivals where community transmission is occurring until the population is vaccinated. Which we haven't even started yet, as we don't need it half as much as the UK/US and most of Europe do.

The Murdoch media, conservative politicians and wingnuts have tried very hard to derail all of this, from our hard border to the lockdowns, including those in power at the federal level, mining billionaires and Sky News presenters. As it stands, the state premier has something like an 87% popularity rating and basically everyone other than cooked facebook argumentatrons agree this is the right approach.

Do better, America.

We try to overthrow the government when people try to force us to wear a piece of cloth on our face in public, we're kind of out of the box at this point.

Nice. My aunt got hers 2 days ago, my grandmother this week and hopefully my mother on the same day. I assume I will get mine around the year 2030.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm increasingly glad I bought a Model S back in 2013, before their QA apparently went to poo poo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Bad Poster posted:

They send cars to customers that aren't even fully painted.

Don't buy a Tesla.

The Stalingrad tank factory production method.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

We can't spend money on rail and public transit. Also gently caress suv's and bro trucks and crossovers too because they're boring and I hate them and I'm sometimes a very petty grumpy child.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Also gently caress suv's and bro trucks and crossovers too because they're boring and I hate them and I'm sometimes a very petty grumpy child.

I hate them because the people at my office who have them park like absolute poo poo, which compounds the issues with their oversized beds in the parking deck, turning two spaces into one and a two lane parking deck into a one way zig zagging piece of poo poo. If you're gonna drive that piece of poo poo in Atlanta, go to the top deck where nobody cares if you park like absolute poo poo :argh:

edit: I absolutely believe if that if you have need for a truck bigger than a suzuki mighty boy you have to haul some amount of tonnage a year beyond people.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 8, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Democrats remain lucky that Fetterman decided to run.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1358898631009394690

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Initial fight looks like the Democrats resisted their inherent need to means-test and left the levels where they were before (mostly).

https://twitter.com/RichardRubinDC/status/1358915762447089665

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1358923586631847941

Also, we're doing COVID tests on rats that only got one vaccine dose.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1358902953499885568

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 9, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ABC says Georgia's Secretary of State is investigating potential criminal charges against Trump for his little phone call about 11780 votes.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Midjack posted:

Isn't that too late, or does the car sense it's falling or something

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Churchill posted:

Isn't that too late, or does the car sense it's falling or something

They work off accelerometers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.citizensforethics.org/reports-investigations/crew-investigations/jared-and-ivanka-made-up-to-640-million-in-the-white-house/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CBJSprague24 posted:

ABC says Georgia's Secretary of State is investigating potential criminal charges against Trump for his little phone call about 11780 votes.

they really need to take his passport

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

they really need to take his passport

No. Let him run.

'Cause I'd pay to see him brought back via pave hawk.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Same, but I don't want him to escape

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dear Sweet, Tiny Little Ghost Baby of Tom Clancy, please let Trump run to another country, and please send an SMU to bring him back.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Same, but I don't want him to escape
Where would he go?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Dear Sweet, Tiny Little Ghost Baby of Tom Clancy, please let Trump run to another country, and please send an SMU to bring him back.

Accidentally get hit by one of those blade bombs because he tried to get a terrorist to fund Trump Tower Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Midjack posted:

I thought he was hitting a powerline or something strung between those two poles. I've never seen an explosive airbag inflator propellant that looked like that.