Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Qubee posted:

I sincerely love this little stinker, his cage is at eye level beside my PC desk. I cover 3 sides of the cage and the top, and leave a little sliver for him to see me at the PC and for a tiny amount of light to shine into the bottom of his cage (the top where his perch sits is pitch black). No bueno. If I try and console him or coo, he just goes ballistic and will really try to squeeze out, to the point where I worry he'll hurt himself. I'm going to have to take the firm route I guess, cause coddling him is only going to enable this behaviour and it really isn't sustainable.

Good news is, he's in the cage finally. He isn't freaking out. I made him step up, then gently grabbed him and plopped him in. This time round, he didn't immediately start going berserk, he just sat on his perch and chilled. Literally nothing was different. So I am stumped when it comes to pinpointing the thing he takes issue with. He napped on his perch for about 15 mins whilst I watched a movie, and now he's at the bottom of the cage pecking up fallen seeds from a honey seed stick packet I put in earlier to entice him. He's been at that for a solid half hour so I guess the good news is he's finally cracked the secret to opening up seeds, as he normally gives up after a couple of minutes. Peeking in shows him popping a squat happily splitting them open, good times. I'll make the cage the only place he gets that treat, and start leaving some in throughout the day so he learns to get comfortable in it. The irony of complaining about not being able to bait him with treats on the night he eventually figures out how to eat them. Thanks for all the advice, it helped and definitely got me to relax a little too.

Edit: spoke too soon, he's back at the desperately clawing and shredding at the cage liner to get out :( he's also dunked himself 3 times in the waterbowl, his legs and keel are wet. He did the same yesterday and I took him out to dry him under my shirt, but I've just put the electric heater on super warm so he won't catch a chill.

I would cover the cage entirely and make sure there's enough light outside it at night that his cage isn't pitch dark. If he can see you, he'll keep calling for you. My conure does the same thing - if you leave a sliver of cage uncovered, he'll just stand there and yell at you through it. Consider moving his cage to another room entirely - he's likely staying awake because he knows you're just out of reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don't have anything else to add about needy birds, hope he settles a bit soon.

just want to say that i love all of you and especially all of your birds and that checking this thread is almost (sometimes it's sad) always a highlight of my day

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
For Serra, this is what I do. It's in regards to her night flights, rather than being needy at night.

I have a blackout cage cover that completely covers three sides of the cage. On the front of the cage, I drape a thing blue sheet that lets a little light through. We can't see each other, but she can tell when someone is walking by.

I'd attempt something like that and see what happens. Also, it's a process. You aren't going to have instant success with any one method. It's going to take work. At least the bird is going to be completely adorable in the process.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Peanut will go crazy, flock call relentlessly, and pick at the bars if his cage if he can hear us.

They sleep in another, separate room.

Totally covering the cage

Blackout curtains so that they don't get the neighbors spotlight in the room

Noise machine so the birds don't hear us in the house

We put a cuttlebone in the exact spot/corner that Peanut picks at so he can at least be constructive lol.

I know that some of this has been covered, but that's been my experience and maybe it can help?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hearing all these stories make me feel super blessed; our birds put themselves to bed when i turn down the lights.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

hearing all these stories make me feel super blessed; our birds put themselves to bed when i turn down the lights.

Yeah, same. Occasionally Ozzy has an after-bed sing, especially in spring when he's decided he needs to get all broody, but for the most part I just keep the lights low for the hours between them going to bed and me going to bed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is an angel about going to bed, just doing a little happy flap after she gets covered.

I wish there was a way to assuage the night frights. It makes me extremely paranoid about circumstances where she would be boarding or with someone other than me. No exaggeration, I'd say she is only alone a few hours a month. Between my father and I + lockdown, the only time the condo is empty is during my monthly IVIG infusions.

At least I always come home to her sleeping like a good doofus.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
A huge crow just flew by my window and was showing interest in the budgies, which absolutely terrified them. Pesto had a bit of a crash and absolutely terrified me. He was in the corner on the floor and managed to get a dust bunny stuck to his face.

:C

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

A huge crow just flew by my window and was showing interest in the budgies, which absolutely terrified them. Pesto had a bit of a crash and absolutely terrified me. He was in the corner on the floor and managed to get a dust bunny stuck to his face.

:C

alex constantly defends us against the threat of snow falling

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
At least your bird is noble. Pretty sure Pesto would watch me get attacked by a crow and just sit there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You're all bird whisperers, I'm pretty sure the advice you've given will work ( I should cover the cage and not let him know I'm there). The little champ spent most of the day crawling about the cage crunching seeds, he's also gotten to the point where he associates the food bowl with food, rather than me having to pick it up and tilt it by his head. He'll plop right into the bowl and go to town, though he still doesn't touch the water bowl. I had to leave for an hour, he was in the cage with the door open. I got back and he was just relaxing on the perch, which makes me hopeful for tonight's bedtime. Cage is where his food, water and treats are, so here's to him thinking of it as a happy space. Though as soon as I sat down he beelined for the door and hopped onto my shoulder.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

You're all bird whisperers, I'm pretty sure the advice you've given will work ( I should cover the cage and not let him know I'm there). The little champ spent most of the day crawling about the cage crunching seeds, he's also gotten to the point where he associates the food bowl with food, rather than me having to pick it up and tilt it by his head. He'll plop right into the bowl and go to town, though he still doesn't touch the water bowl. I had to leave for an hour, he was in the cage with the door open. I got back and he was just relaxing on the perch, which makes me hopeful for tonight's bedtime. Cage is where his food, water and treats are, so here's to him thinking of it as a happy space. Though as soon as I sat down he beelined for the door and hopped onto my shoulder.

i love hearing about how he's developing. he sounds wonderful.

was there someone else around when you left? i'd be cautious about leaving the door open and leaving, most especially while he's still so young.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If I recall correctly, wild budgies get most of their water from their food because they live in such arid environments, so babby booge might just be acting on ancestral urges.

Any update on Hannah's poor sore foot? I hope he's feeling a bit better.

Also I will 100% do a Pookie introduce effort post in the next few days, whenever I get the drat energy together to do so. This pandemic lockdown shite is very enervating.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Whoever it was your birb feeder finally went online!

Edit: https://www.twitch.tv/rotten_cookies64

Of course now that I posted that the birds left.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Bird eating!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitch.tv/rotten_cookies64

Snowy birdfeeder cam.

Getting some good action here

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thenk you for showing the green guy/gal!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Qubee posted:

I'm thrilled things are progressing! We aren't bird whisperers, we've just had decades of trial and error with this long lived doofuses. :derptiel:

Side Comment - I really wouldn't leave the door open when you leave. If they get proper lost behind a couch or bookshelf, they will stay silent because they're afraid. It can be stressful to find them in Quiet Mode.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I'm thrilled things are progressing! We aren't bird whisperers, we've just had decades of trial and error with this long lived doofuses. :derptiel:

Side Comment - I really wouldn't leave the door open when you leave. If they get proper lost behind a couch or bookshelf, they will stay silent because they're afraid. It can be stressful to find them in Quiet Mode.

or even go to sleep. we were frantic once until i found alex napping underneath a jacket that was hung up. he was decidedly affronted that i moved it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

or even go to sleep. we were frantic once until i found alex napping underneath a jacket that was hung up. he was decidedly affronted that i moved it.

We had the same thing with Looloo the very long lost cockatiel. She vanished and we spent three drat hours searching the house for her, only to find her very sleepy and cross behind the kitchen curtains. She was so so huffy and hissy and beak boppy when she was found :3:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Birds from the twitch stream!!!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I left him closed in my bedroom, which is pretty spartan. Just the 4 walls, my bed and computer desk. Nothing he can get trapped behind. Though it's still a bad idea, right? I'll start putting him in the cage when I leave, just empathy wins over sometimes even if I know it's not the smartest idea. I looked at bigger bird cages today, there's one almost twice the size of my current one and isn't too expensive, so looking forward to picking that up. Fed him formula, tucked him into bed, he's still doing the same antics, but he'll just have to tire himself out and get used to it :shrug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Qubee posted:

I left him closed in my bedroom, which is pretty spartan. Just the 4 walls, my bed and computer desk. Nothing he can get trapped behind. Though it's still a bad idea, right? I'll start putting him in the cage when I leave, just empathy wins over sometimes even if I know it's not the smartest idea. I looked at bigger bird cages today, there's one almost twice the size of my current one and isn't too expensive, so looking forward to picking that up. Fed him formula, tucked him into bed, he's still doing the same antics, but he'll just have to tire himself out and get used to it :shrug:

With animals so small and fragile, "Better safe than sorry" is a good maxim.

Watch out for bar spacing on the bigger cages. The smallest parrots will absolutely shove their head through the bars, get stuck, and panic. I don't remember the proper bar spacing off hand and I'm away from my desktop, but I know the answer is a simple google search away.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

With animals so small and fragile, "Better safe than sorry" is a good maxim.

Watch out for bar spacing on the bigger cages. The smallest parrots will absolutely shove their head through the bars, get stuck, and panic. I don't remember the proper bar spacing off hand and I'm away from my desktop, but I know the answer is a simple google search away.

good point! half inch or smaller for bitsy birbs, iirc

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Any update on Hannah's poor sore foot? I hope he's feeling a bit better.

He’s still hurting. He is trying to use it more but it’s definitely still bothering him. He seems to be in good spirits though. He’s doing all his singing and stuff, just not moving a lot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

He’s still hurting. He is trying to use it more but it’s definitely still bothering him. He seems to be in good spirits though. He’s doing all his singing and stuff, just not moving a lot.

poor little dude :(

the singing is a good sign, though, i think, as birds tend to go silent if they're really hurt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Jose Oquendo posted:

You called the vet and did all the right things. I'm sure your Birb will be back in good health soon. :derptiel:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah it sounds like he’s doing all the same poo poo I do when I pull a muscle so here’s to him healing up in a few days. Shame you can’t bengay a bird though because that poo poo is magic.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Against better judgement, I let Pesto and Mayo outside the cage while I'm gone. Life as an agoraphobe means I'm never gone long, mind you. I make sure to keep all doors closed. I place a scary vase on shelves I don't want them to go to.

They only really go from their cage to their play tree. When I'm home, more spots get opened up to them on request.

In fact, giving them access to places I know they want to go works as a reward for training. Pesto knows flying to me and giving a kiss will get him bathroom (the funnest room in the house) privileges.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Update on the cement pigeon, Boco:

His recovery is going well! Tonight is the first night since we got the cement off of him that he really practiced flapping his wings, and it's also the first time he made any noise (he made a really deep cooing noise before and after I cleaned his cage today! It was also insanely loud and baritone, you could hear him from across the house) He's also showing a much wider range of body movements and expressions.

Unfortunately, I think giving him medicine terrified him. He's much more nippy than he was before I started giving him the medicine - he still let's me take him out of the cage to do cleaning, but instead of directly hopping into my hand, he now stands on a plate and I have to pull him and the plate out. It works, but I miss him just hopping up!

I'm probably going to upgrade to a dog crate size cage after payday next month.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://v.redd.it/0qiprj0aa9g61/DASH_1080.mp4

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well, at least it's not any worse, which hopefully suggests it's a little injury rather than anything progressive or permanent.
Poor brave boy though, I hope you are letting him rule the bathroom in peace in these difficult circumstances.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/z3eBX5J.mp4

Nothing stops it, you can unmute the video to hear his heartbreaking little cries. Cage completely covered, or with a tiny sliver open for a bare minimum amount of light to get in so he can just about make out his perch / food bowl etc. I put him into bed 45 minutes ago and lay down in bed myself listening to an audiobook, he just hasn't given up. It's stressful for the both of us. Will getting him a friend fix this? I removed the cage liner tonight as I thought that might rile him up as he always goes to town shredding it trying to escape. First time he's bitten me since I got him, I tried calming him down through the bars by putting my finger through to give him scratches, he just chomped down harder than he normally does.

I'm at a loss and feel like a pretty lovely owner, cause Google doesn't show any results of people having the same issue as me so I must be doing something terribly wrong. I also took the advice given and put him in the cage earlier today whilst I nipped out for an hour and a half. Left him and he was calm and happily eating food, when I got back, he was pushing against the bars trying to escape and I felt terrible wondering how long he must have been doing that whilst I was gone. It wasn't even dark, my bedroom lights were on as it was only around 5pm. Am I letting him sleep too much in the day? Should I be encouraging him to be active, rather than letting him go off and do his own thing. He only really gets active in short bursts, he just naps the rest of the time, or will preen. I put him to bed at 11pm every night, and wake him up at 11am, but he still doesn't get the routine.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 8, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Qubee posted:

Nothing stops it, you can unmute the video to hear his heartbreaking little cries. Cage completely covered, or with a tiny sliver open for a bare minimum amount of light to get in so he can just about make out his perch / food bowl etc. I put him into bed 45 minutes ago and lay down in bed myself listening to an audiobook, he just hasn't given up. It's stressful for the both of us. Will getting him a friend fix this? I removed the cage liner tonight as I thought that might rile him up as he always goes to town shredding it trying to escape. First time he's bitten me since I got him, I tried calming him down through the bars by putting my finger through to give him scratches, he just chomped down harder than he normally does.

I'm at a loss and feel like a pretty lovely owner, cause Google doesn't show any results of people having the same issue as me so I must be doing something terribly wrong. I also took the advice given and put him in the cage earlier today whilst I nipped out for an hour and a half. Left him and he was calm and happily eating food, when I got back, he was pushing against the bars trying to escape and I felt terrible wondering how long he must have been doing that whilst I was gone. It wasn't even dark, my bedroom lights were on as it was only around 5pm. Am I letting him sleep too much in the day? Should I be encouraging him to be active, rather than letting him go off and do his own thing. He only really gets active in short bursts, he just naps the rest of the time, or will preen. I put him to bed at 11pm every night, and wake him up at 11am, but he still doesn't get the routine.

Put his fully covered cage in a separate room. Ignore him.

But the schedule right there might be the biggest issue. Birds follow the light-dark pattern to figure out when to sleep and when to wake, and you can try to mess with that to some extent but you're ultimately dealing with a flying toddler. He's probably getting cranky in the evening and acting out and he's probably up and awake in the morning so he isn't getting the amount of sleep he should at night. Adjust his bedtime and wake-time back a couple hours and see if it helps.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannah update:

Ive been trying to get him to the vet sooner but no luck at all. I called all the vets within a 2 hour drive and none of them can see him soon so I'm stuck with next Tuesday. It's been stressing me out but I am doing everything I can.

However, he does appear to be doing better. He's gripping my hand a little tighter with that foot. He's holding some stuff to eat, but it's more or less flopping his toes around the food instead of the finely controlled holding he normally does. He also is climbing around more. Today he climbed down and back up on his play stand, which is pretty tall. But with all that, he's still limping a little because he won't put his full weight on that foot. So i'm not sure if he's getting better, or just learning to adapt. He is still in good spirits, so I have to be ok with all this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hannah update:

Ive been trying to get him to the vet sooner but no luck at all. I called all the vets within a 2 hour drive and none of them can see him soon so I'm stuck with next Tuesday. It's been stressing me out but I am doing everything I can.

However, he does appear to be doing better. He's gripping my hand a little tighter with that foot. He's holding some stuff to eat, but it's more or less flopping his toes around the food instead of the finely controlled holding he normally does. He also is climbing around more. Today he climbed down and back up on his play stand, which is pretty tall. But with all that, he's still limping a little because he won't put his full weight on that foot. So i'm not sure if he's getting better, or just learning to adapt. He is still in good spirits, so I have to be ok with all this.

I'm sorry you're having to go through all of that. The scarcity of Avian Vets is such a bastard.

But from an internet observers spot, it does seem that he is improving. :derptiel: You're doing everything right and being a good Birb Fren.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Qubee posted:

They get tired when it’s dark. When they see light, it wakes them up!
For what it’s worth, I did not get “sad” out of his posture and chirping, just “playful”. I think you’re doing okay!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Guess who weighed in at 123g today?!

125g was the minimum goal, coming down from a giant 140g. But the vet really wants her at 120g. I think that's actually going to happen.

All of this without changing food, quantity, or anything else. Breaking her food up into two meals plus taking away her food at night has worked miracles.

I still suspect it took my father hearing from a vet that no, you cannot feed entire gingersnaps to a bird. But her ballooning to 140g from 128g was after he stopped doing that bullshit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

I still suspect it took my father hearing from a vet that no, you cannot feed entire gingersnaps to a bird. But her ballooning to 140g from 128g was after he stopped doing that bullshit.

Maybe it's like how if you suddenly cut a ton of your food intake your body starts hoarding every calorie it can for starvation mood. :birdthunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Kitfox88 posted:

Maybe it's like how if you suddenly cut a ton of your food intake your body starts hoarding every calorie it can for starvation mood. :birdthunk:

This is not a thing that happens.