Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

We have that setup and while the pencil is nice it’s of limited use to me as I don’t draw. Makes for decent navigation of apps, but since you can’t use it for system navigation the functionality is a bit lacking. It was a gift so I don’t feel too bad about it. If you do take to drawing I’d take a look at a matte screen protector that provides a bit of paper like texture.

I do a good amount of drawing in Procreate. I've been eyeing Paperlike, the fancy "big name" matte screen protector for that purpose, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of spending $20 on a single sheet (mandatory two-pack). I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of the (much) cheaper alternatives I see on Amazon. I'm all ears if someone has a recommendation :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc we just have a no name from China and it’s perfectly fine to my untrained senses. I’ll see if I can find a specific listing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

davebo posted:

I bought a used Corvette when I was 25 off ebay. Fun as hell and I kept it for 14 years. But... does that mean I'm going to die at 50? Because if so, hell, I may as well just blow my savings and buy a new one.

No, it means that when you turn 50 you have to buy a PT Cruiser. :rip:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought some old cameras in various states. I'll repair them then use them.

Voightlander Perkeo I, a little 6x6 folder that needs a new bellows and a good clean 1951-1955.

And a very strange beast, an Officine Galileo Candog I. Italian made camera for the Australian market, takes 35mm film. Never seen one before. It all works but is in desperate need of a service 1947 - 1950.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Corvettes are insanely cool.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solid Cake posted:

I ordered the new iPad Air (2020) and the Pencil 2.

I accidentally put a not-small scratch in my original iPad Pro recently - I was holding my bag open with one hand and sliding the iPad in with the other, and with the way my hand was positioned the rock on my wedding ring raked across the screen :argh: I'd given up hope that I'd get any money for it when it came up to upgrade, but luck has it that a friend is looking for a cheap-ish iPad to do some light sketching and didn't mind the damage. My couch also ate my Pencil a few months ago so it has mostly been a glorified Media Slab. The opportunity was too good to pass up.

Unfortunately they don't have the pink colour I wanted in stock anywhere within a three hour drive, so I won't have it for another week or so.
another reason to not bother with wedding rings

colas
Feb 14, 2007

my dad partially de-gloved his ring finger at work, so, add that to the list

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Guess I have to buy a Corvette. :smith:

I want a Subbie, I was watching some Fassbender movie and he was letting his son steer his Subaru off road. It looked so fun.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

colas posted:

This is honestly pretty high on my lists of fears

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

colas posted:

I want a Subbie, I was watching some Fassbender movie and he was letting his son steer his Subaru off road. It looked so fun.

I still have dreams of getting a first gen Impreza and rebuilding it for rallycross, that are currently on hold because I do not have fuckin space for it. Our house has 4 cars and 4 motorcycles...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

colas posted:

colas posted:

sounds like your dad would let you drive currently

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

It still has to go to the glazers for fiberglass coating, but I’m super loving stoked.

E. vvv Bought it; shaper was nice enough to send me a sneak peak after painting

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Feb 10, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

1redflag posted:

It still has to go to the glazers for fiberglass coating, but I’m super loving stoked.

That's a lot of Snapple....

Did you make that or buy it? (the board not the snapple)

colas
Feb 14, 2007

OniPanda posted:

I still have dreams of getting a first gen Impreza and rebuilding it for rallycross

what would that include?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

We never got the first gen WRX, so I'd be swapping in the powertrain of a later model WRX into the first gen frame. Then would need to lift it and replace a lot of suspension components. Also put in a roll cage and get a new seat with a harness. Getting it street legal is also on the list and should be easier doing the full powertrain swap, but California is....difficult.

I want to do all the work myself, but I don't have the space or equipment for it and probably won't for some time. If I want any part of this to happen in the near or medium term, I'll have to work with a shop. Good news is, there's a shop near me that specializes in this kind of thing!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Is CA still testing emissions? I lived there for a month and I was like drat, I remember the ONE time I had to do that in Florida. And what's the deal with the "this may cause cancer" warning on practically everything? And what exactly IS californication?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

colas posted:

Is CA still testing emissions? I lived there for a month and I was like drat, I remember the ONE time I had to do that in Florida. And what's the deal with the "this may cause cancer" warning on practically everything? And what exactly IS californication?

1) yes, at different frequencies depending on how old your car is
2) seemed like a good idea at the time and nobody has the guts to repeal it. Basically anything with lead, cadmium, other heavy metals has to be labeled.
3) the red hot chili peppers trying to say "california" as much as they can

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Glottis posted:

3) the red hot chili peppers trying to say "california" as much as they can

Not sure about that. I think Warchild is attempting to Californicate FBI agent Johnny Utah in this scene from Point Break - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3KJhi2sZg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The cancer label thing was sabotaged by people who didn't like it so that it's so broad now it goes on everything and isn't of any help.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Iirc, the coffee industry had a giant meltdown when coffee beans were scheduled to have to be labeled under Prop 65, so they paid a bunch of money to lobbyists and now coffee doesn’t cause cancer, I guess

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everything fun gives you cancer. Why don't they just cure it so everyone can enjoy the sun, cigarettes, coffee, etc. Scientists are stupid.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A couple recent purchases:

A mesh wifi router system. It's embarassingly better than my previous wifi router. Should have done this a long time ago.

I've wanted a kickass document scanner for a long time. I really don't need one but it will satisfy my itch of getting rid of dumb poo poo sitting around taking up space. Now it can take up space on my google drive instead.

2 of these for some base cabinet organization. I have another pair elsewhere in the kitchen and they're quite handy.

A 1/24 scale RC crawler. Unfortunately backordered, but I watched some youtube videos that made it look really compelling for some cold weather indoor time wasting.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everything fun gives you cancer. Why don't they just cure it so everyone can enjoy the sun, cigarettes, coffee, etc. Scientists are stupid.

Big pharma gotta keep the cancer flowing to make that cancer money. Obviously their lobbyists are better funded than the fun stuff lobbyists.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Solice Kirsk posted:

But only in CA so as long as you don't live in that failed state you're safe :downs:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I've wanted a kickass document scanner for a long time. I really don't need one but it will satisfy my itch of getting rid of dumb poo poo sitting around taking up space. Now it can take up space on my google drive instead.

I was stoked to see this and about to go do some research on which one to get...then I realized my big box of stuff is likely smaller/the same size as that scanner.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I recommend anything decent by Fujitsu - I use one of their $1200 professional ones (fi-7160 or something) all day errday at work. If you need something hardcore, I would say about anything in the fi-6000 or fi-7000 series, which can be had for a few hundo used.

More relevantly, I recently purchased one of their compact models for at-home use, the Scansnap S1500, which is basically the older version of that one up there maybe. (currently like $400-500 new but I got mine used for maybe $120-150).
Even in the compact size, being a used model, this thing just tears through stacks of poo poo, and folds up to where I can just stick it on a bookshelf! It's even pretty :3:

There's also the S1500m which is the Mac version, featuring silver trim instead of black trim, but they're literally identical otherwise. I have a Win10 PC and the Mac version scanner and it works 100% - only difference is software, to the best of my knowledge.

Teketeketeketeke has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Feb 11, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

colas posted:

Is CA still testing emissions?

Not only do they, they're the most stringent in the country. And why it's extra hard to do stuff like engine swaps and import cars.

To do things properly, my plan will make a 98 Impreza legally a 05 WRX.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

A couple recent purchases:

A mesh wifi router system. It's embarassingly better than my previous wifi router. Should have done this a long time ago.

THIS. HOLY poo poo WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OniPanda posted:

Not only do they, they're the most stringent in the country. And why it's extra hard to do stuff like engine swaps and import cars.

To do things properly, my plan will make a 98 Impreza legally a 05 WRX.

:yeah: gonna be a sweet ride for real.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

It's high on my list of things I want to do, but I also may just turn my Forester into an STi. Decisions decisions.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a new (to me) lamp for my office work bench, designed and made by still around Australian company Planet Lighting in the 70s. It's perfect and I'm wrapped.

Office:

Work bench:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

1redflag posted:

Iirc, the coffee industry had a giant meltdown when coffee beans were scheduled to have to be labeled under Prop 65, so they paid a bunch of money to lobbyists and now coffee doesn’t cause cancer, I guess

Well studies have shown it protects against several forms of cancer, and caffeine itself showed to have a protective effect against skin cancer in particular.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OniPanda posted:

It's high on my list of things I want to do, but I also may just turn my Forester into an STi. Decisions decisions.

I'm pretty sure it's fairly easy to get an STI to be honest. I had a bunch back when I was at uni. It's getting rid of them that's the tricky part.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Roblo posted:

I'm pretty sure it's fairly easy to get an STI to be honest. I had a bunch back when I was at uni. It's getting rid of them that's the tricky part.

Oh it's real easy to get a WRX STi, but I don't want to just buy an STi, I want to build a project car, and america never got the Forester STi. I've seen a couple people swap an STi powertrain into a Forester, and I already own a Forester, so I just need to get an STi donor when my CVT eventually shits itself. Which is gonna happen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Roblo posted:

Lol

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure peanut M&Ms have the Prop 65 warning too because some fungus grows on some peanuts and is known to be carcinogenic.

Nothing too exciting on the purchases front save veal shanks for osso buco later tonight. It's my second time making it this week, and I made some mistakes and it was fantastic anyway. Hoping for an even better redux.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

OniPanda posted:

Oh it's real easy to get a WRX STi, but I don't want to just buy an STi, I want to build a project car, and america never got the Forester STi. I've seen a couple people swap an STi powertrain into a Forester, and I already own a Forester, so I just need to get an STi donor when my CVT eventually shits itself. Which is gonna happen.

hook, line, and sinker

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

I got a new (to me) lamp for my office work bench, designed and made by still around Australian company Planet Lighting in the 70s. It's perfect and I'm wrapped.

Office:

Work bench:

I'm jealous of that lamp

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

That inanimate object has got nothing on you, mate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Slimy Hog posted:

I was stoked to see this and about to go do some research on which one to get...then I realized my big box of stuff is likely smaller/the same size as that scanner.

Unless you need really high res copies, there are several phone apps that only cost a few dollars and do the same thing.