Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Splicer posted:

*sapience. They were always sentient.

I will never stop dying on this hill.

There are far worse hills to die on.

Also drat, the conversation about xenophobe megacorps is making me want to start a new game as one, myself. Preferably with that origin (or whatever it is, now) that starts you off with a subservient species. I'll be an Amazon-typed deal, with an ecumenopolis homeworld for my species, and a heap of lovely mining worlds etc for all the other races in my empire. :v:
...drat, I really want to play this, now. Normally I play as a good guy race, but it'll be interesting/different to play the jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Splicer posted:

In what way do you feel this extra precision improves the conversation or enlightens the participants?

You know what they mean when they say it, which is the purpose of their communicating with that word.

Its the same question I have every time someone corrects centrifugal as centripetal. Why?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Bananana posted:

Lol, I just tried to take on a fallen empire for the first time, and let me tell you. There were not that fallen. Fuckers iced my whole fleet before I sued for a tie.
My most successful war against a fallen that didn't involve a dozen 100k fleets was when I they sent all their fleets on the attack, then I jumped in, popped their starbases, and colossus'd their home world planets. Lol.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

In what way do you feel this extra precision improves the conversation or enlightens the participants?

You know what they mean when they say it, which is the purpose of their communicating with that word.

Its the same question I have every time someone corrects centrifugal as centripetal. Why?

Well for one thing it's nice to know that the person you're talking to actually knows the difference between the sapience of a human and the sentience of a dog.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Just finished my first game. Any pro tips on how to avoid getting absolutely destroyed next time War in Heaven is my endgame?

War in Heaven is technically a midgame crisis. But fwiw you can always choose to side with one of the FEs. Otherwise you're going to need Galactic Contender, a Neutron Sweep Colossus, and one hell of a doomstack. I mean like "a minimum of 6 fleets with 80k+ fleet power" to break up their navy. You may have to whittle them down but if you can reverse-engineer their dark matter tech it'll take the edge off.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Splicer posted:

I mean, they're filthy xenos, so why does it matter?

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Is there a way to force certain crisis events? I want to see a War in Heaven but after like 10 finished games I have never had one. I've somehow have also never seen the goo invade, and only seen the extra-dimensional invaders once.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

AtillatheBum posted:

Is there a way to force certain crisis events? I want to see a War in Heaven but after like 10 finished games I have never had one. I've somehow have also never seen the goo invade, and only seen the extra-dimensional invaders once.

You can do that with the Crisis Manager mod. Or you can make all crises happen at the same time!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unmodded, you can also influence the odds of which crisis triggers. Robot pops and Synth tech increases the odds of popping the Contingency. Jump drives, and Psi jump drives especially, increase the odds of extradimensional invaders. The scourge is a default crisis if the others don't trigger

I don't think that you can trigger war in heaven? Maybe if you forcibly awaken two normally opposed fallen empires? Maximize the number of fallen empires if you want to maximize the chances of triggering a war in heaven

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 9, 2021

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Started a new game as Assimilators, and struggling a bit with energy credits. I neglected food early on because my pops don't need to eat, but the only power building I can make requires food to generate power. Do I need to just get aggro and start taking over everything? I'm dealing with a pretty bad deficit in energy for a middling empire so far.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I guess the main question is, SHOULD I be bothering with food?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I guess the main question is, SHOULD I be bothering with food?

Well, yes, you are an Assimilator. Your cyborgs do in fact require food.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

ilkhan posted:

My most successful war against a fallen that didn't involve a dozen 100k fleets was when I they sent all their fleets on the attack, then I jumped in, popped their starbases, and colossus'd their home world planets. Lol.

One of my favorite stellaris moments was right before using a colossus for the first time I realized you can rename ships so I renamed it the 'Yeet Cannon' and got a few screenshots of it in action for laughs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man this random tech thing is annoying, i haven't gotten techs that increase my fleet cap in forever so i have a bunch of fleets that max out at 100 strength even though my max is nearly 700 and increasing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Started a new game as Assimilators, and struggling a bit with energy credits. I neglected food early on because my pops don't need to eat, but the only power building I can make requires food to generate power. Do I need to just get aggro and start taking over everything? I'm dealing with a pretty bad deficit in energy for a middling empire so far.

You need to build generator districts. Ignore the food-using power building, that's there for pure robot factions who happen to end up with spare food somehow.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's amazing if you get a ring world and just fill it with agriculture and bio reactors. DIY Dyson Sphere.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

And Tyler Too! posted:

War in Heaven is technically a midgame crisis.

War in Heaven can't start until endgame start year, since FEs can't awaken the normal way before that. It's not a crisis at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sandweed posted:

It's amazing if you get a ring world and just fill it with agriculture and bio reactors. DIY Dyson Sphere.

Does that make more energy than a trade ring world? I guess not everyone gets trade.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gort posted:

Does that make more energy than a trade ring world? I guess not everyone gets trade.

Gestalts get a generator segment instead of the trade segment. This has 20 tech drone jobs. I'm not sure why you'd go down the route of making food and turning into energy with bioreactors when you could just make even more energy directly (MI make 6 energy per tech drone and 5 food per agri drone, and bio reactors turn 25 food into 20 energy).

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It might be changed now, but I could not build that the last time I did it, maybe it was a robot ascension game?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sandweed posted:

It might be changed now, but I could not build that the last time I did it, maybe it was a robot ascension game?

Like I said, it's a gestalt thing. Robot ascensions are different.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

twistedmentat posted:

Man this random tech thing is annoying, i haven't gotten techs that increase my fleet cap in forever so i have a bunch of fleets that max out at 100 strength even though my max is nearly 700 and increasing.

You're not supposed to have one big fleet. You're supposed to have multiple. Just set them to follow each other if you need to.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Staltran posted:

War in Heaven can't start until endgame start year, since FEs can't awaken the normal way before that. It's not a crisis at all.

I got an message that one of the Fallen Empires was waking up and arming but that was like > 20 years ago and it's like 4460. They seem to have a good size fleet (way over on the other side of the galaxy far away from my stuff) but they have taken no offensive operations.

Did they stall out or something?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

twistedmentat posted:

It's never explained but having scientists with skills in the technology tree you want greatly increases those options showing up, e.g. voidcraft will have more voidcraft options available. I think your previous researched tech also influences it so you need to take all the tech of the same type of the tech you specifically want to rush it. Curators increase chances for rare techs as well.

Once you 'get it' you can get arcologies very early for example 4/5 times. Which will further kick-start your economy and tech.

It's not a perfect system but I think I like it better than just having a static tree to pick from, you can influence the tech you get a lot more than you realize or the game leads you to believe.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The random tech stuff can get really silly, like when I played a life seeded technocracy with the intent of using androids to colonize other planets. Well that tech just would. not. appear. And I eventually was able to hit habitats before the drat tech showed up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zotix posted:

How bad is the tomb world event chain? I just got back into the game and I can build the omega particle on my base, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into. I managed to counter the effects from the earlier part that made my faction peaceful (I'm fanatical militaristic), and I'm slowly converting my people away from the peaceful. I just don't know what I'm getting myself Into if I finish the chain.

The Horizon Signal / Worm in Waiting chain has a really nice result at the end if you keep taking the choices that feed your rulers into it. Here is my new home system after it was over:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Can’t bring myself to complete that event chain ever since I remembered it was written by known piece of poo poo Alexis Kennedy

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's ok to like things made by people you don't like. For example I don't like Google but I like my pixel.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question regarding colonizing planets. I know you want to specialize planets I get that. But how do you approach consumer goods planets, alloy planets, and the rare resources?

Also what do you do with smaller planets, or planets that have a large amount of city districts?

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Libluini posted:

Humanoids is the same, but it comes with space elves and a nice shipset, so people tend to be more forgiving with it

Black Pants posted:

Also the best advisor voices.

That's a really odd way of saying the Necroids pack has the best advisor voice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zotix posted:

Question regarding colonizing planets. I know you want to specialize planets I get that. But how do you approach consumer goods planets, alloy planets, and the rare resources?

Also what do you do with smaller planets, or planets that have a large amount of city districts?

First off, planets don't have a number of city districts per se, they just have a district limit. While there are maximum counts for energy, mining, and agri districts, as many (or as few) of those districts as you want can be cities. But if you have a big planet with few resource districts, the general response is to upgrade it into an Ecumenopolis (two of which will turn out enough Alloys and CGs for an Empire, with the bottleneck being pops to work the jobs).

That's more of a midgame thing though. In the early game you just sort of pick planets and specialize their buildings into CG, Alloys, Science, Unity, or Bureaucracy as required.

Rare resources are trickier since they're so expensive in terms of building slots. Ecumenopoleis are great for this since they get Alloy/CG jobs from Districts, giving them lots of surplus building slots. Prior to that I try to rely on space based mining, or just sort of stick refineries wherever there is room for them, generally on worlds with lots of mining/energy/agri districts, since they'll be the ones with open building slots.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zotix posted:

First and foremost, set your trade policy to Consumer Benefits once you have a good surplus of energy coming in from jobs, it will give you some extra consumer goods from any trade value you're scooping up. After that try having just enough consumer goods to feed your scientists/entertainers/whoever while still being able to build any colony ships you may need. Try to stay in the black but without producing a huge excess. I usually have at least one consumer good factory per planet until I get an Ecumenopolis up and running, at which point you can replace the factories on your other worlds with something else. An Ecumenopolis (and Ring Worlds) will have you set for life on consumer goods. If you didn't luck into an early Relic World definitely take Arcology Project as an ascension perk (Megacorp DLC required) and start prepping a size 20+ world to be your Coruscant. drat near every planet should be producing alloys or research. If said planet has a rare feature for the special resources absolutely exploit it. My smallest planet gets to be a bureaucratic nightmare world of endless paperwork, small planets are for erasing empire sprawl. For worlds with an overwhelming amount of city districts simply fill out your energy/mining/agriculture districts first and build cities last unless you need the extra housing, you won't have any trouble filling that housing once you unlock T2 & T3 special buildings.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay, thank you for the replies.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

frogge posted:

One of my favorite stellaris moments was right before using a colossus for the first time I realized you can rename ships so I renamed it the 'Yeet Cannon' and got a few screenshots of it in action for laughs.
I always name my world cracker colossus "death star". For obvious reasons.

Leal posted:

The random tech stuff can get really silly, like when I played a life seeded technocracy with the intent of using androids to colonize other planets. Well that tech just would. not. appear. And I eventually was able to hit habitats before the drat tech showed up.
Also tried this. Had same problem. I think it's set up that way?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 10, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ilkhan posted:

I always name my works cracker colossus "death star". For obvious reasons.

Also tried this. Had same problem. I think it's set up that way?

Specifically to the "Androids colonizing" that doesn't really work till you get synthetics, Droids can't be rulers I think and your basically screwing your colony of you send a Droid out. I think synthetics is a T4 or T5 dangerous perk so of course you'll get habitats and whatever else before it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Mr. Crow posted:

It's ok to like things made by people you don't like. For example I don't like Google but I like my pixel.

It’s not okay to me. I’m not scolding anyone for enjoying it. I just can’t.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zotix posted:

So you don't want to get too doctrinal (for the most part you're best off just paying attention to the needs of the moment) but there's a
few things to think about here:

1. The district to buildings ratio. Planets with fewer districts mean you'll ultimately have fewer basic jobs and will be relying more on buildings for housing, meaning you'll want avoid buildings that have few jobs like Refineries.

2. The limitations of robots / droids. Artificial pops can't work specific types of jobs, meaning you'll want to make sure every world has opportunities for them. A world of Technicians, Bureaucrats and Researchers won't work, because the robots will have nothing to do.

3. The balance of resources. Some resources are more important than others, or are limited by the availability of other resources. You'll want to avoid overbuilding Research planets if you don't have the Consumer Goods planets to support them. Rare resources and naval capacity aren't needed until the late game.

With all that in mind, I broadly assign my planets thusly:

Capital: Culture (these are good for anything needed, but they're best used for Culture)
Small: Consumer Goods (can focus on resource development with an easy transition into Consumer Goods)
Medium: Research / Administration (these planets can be designated opportunistically)
Large: Alloys / Refining (are eventually the best candidates for Ecus/Hive Worlds/Machine Worlds)
Habitats: Naval Capacity (are well-suited for creating fortress systems)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
TIL with the master of districts mod, since the bonuses are applied as a unique planetary feature, they vanish when you upgrade a planet to a ecumenopolis. And you don't get the option to build them again, rip my transport networks

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
there's no release date for the 2.9 patch right? Other than 'probably in the next month'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

fashionly snort posted:

there's no release date for the 2.9 patch right? Other than 'probably in the next month'?

"coming soon" is the best I could find