Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Slimy Hog posted:

Durango is an hour from Cortez so depending on what " I realized that that meant a 30+ minute drive to get to anything" means this may be a no-go.

I'm sorry TooMuchAbstraction, but you're looking for the same thing that a LOT of people are looking for so the prices are gonna be high.

That's true. It's a gorgeous drive (both 160 from Cortez and La Plata Hwy -> Wildcat Canyon from Farmington. Farmington to Durango via Aztec less so) so I never mind making it.

Another option is Hermosa. It's kind of a suburb to Durango, you can get a townhouse in the Ranch area for $250k, drop dead gorgeous area, 15 minutes to Durango and 15 minutes to Purg. And 5 minutes away from the best burgers I've ever had, at James Ranch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BonHair posted:

But it's a scale. It only does weight, not volume. Do the volume measurement is a conversion from weight, which requires you to know the relative mass (what's the right term here?) of whatever you're measuring. And since there is no input for that, or ability to choose oil/water/flour or something, one must assume it's water, which is stupid because it's a 1:1b conversion.

My weight has the same thing. It's dumb. Just do grammes.

If you're working off of a recipe (which, ianae, I assume is the use case) what matters is that you're using the same measurement as the recipe-maker. You're not looking for the absolute measurement of volume or weight, you're looking for a relative quantity. If the recipe says "8 oz of sugar", it doesn't matter than sugar has a different density than flour or water since you're not measuring flour or water, you're measuring sugar; put your scale on fl oz, though, and now you've got a problem. It doesn't matter than 1 fl oz of water doesn't equal 1 fl oz of oil, because what's important that 1 fl oz of water/oil will be the same(*) as a different 1 fl oz of water/oil

(*)ignoring changes caused by different temperature and ambient pressure, but that's likely not an issue in such small amounts

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Durango is an hour from Cortez so depending on what " I realized that that meant a 30+ minute drive to get to anything" means this may be a no-go.

I'm sorry TooMuchAbstraction, but you're looking for the same thing that a LOT of people are looking for so the prices are gonna be high.

Yeah, that makes sense. But house prices in most of the SF Bay Area are over a million. I guess that after living here for a decade, I don't really have a sense of what "normal" prices are any more.

I guess the question then is what I compromise on -- price, climate, distance to civilization, or politics? That's gonna be hard to answer.

regulargonzalez posted:

If you like Outdoorsy stuff, consider Cortez CO or Farmington NM. Farmington is bigger (50k) and cheaper ($200k for a nice house in a good neighborhood) but kind of trashier. Both are purplish but close to Durango which is pretty blue and a fun town. There's also all the hiking you could want, world class mountain biking, 90 minutes to Purgatory if you ski or snowboard, 3 hours to Moab.

I appreciate these suggestions! Cortez is a little far-flung though. With a population of <10k I don't think it would really be a full-service city (at minimum it'd be missing cultural options). And the closest major city as far as I can tell is Albuquerque, which is 4 hours' drive away. Farmington is in considerably better shape (36min to downtown Minneapolis)...the main question there is whether I can hack the climate :v: I'll give it some considering.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. But house prices in most of the SF Bay Area are over a million. I guess that after living here for a decade, I don't really have a sense of what "normal" prices are any more.

I guess the question then is what I compromise on -- price, climate, distance to civilization, or politics? That's gonna be hard to answer.

I appreciate these suggestions! Cortez is a little far-flung though. With a population of <10k I don't think it would really be a full-service city (at minimum it'd be missing cultural options). And the closest major city as far as I can tell is Albuquerque, which is 4 hours' drive away. Farmington is in considerably better shape (36min to downtown Minneapolis)...the main question there is whether I can hack the climate :v: I'll give it some considering.

Wrong Farmington haha, I was talking about Farmington NM.

Fwiw, you get used to the smaller size and being far away from big cities. For the first 40 years of my life I never lived anywhere smaller than 500,000 people. Moved to Cortez 3 years ago and the first 6 months were a culture shock but it grew on me really quickly and I don't think I'll ever live in a big city again. I love museums and the zoo and such but realistically I would hit them up once or twice a year when I lived in Chicago or Denver. I can do that now -- visit big city of choice on vacation and get my dose of culture and then back to relative peace and quiet. gently caress Denver or Chicago traffic, gently caress the noise and pollution. I do miss the road bike paths in Denver but that's about the only thing I miss.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

If you can hold your nose over red-state-trying-to-turn-purple, I'll go to bat for Raleigh-Durham. Two hours to the beach, three hours to the "mountains". Hipsters and liberals and the culture stuff that comes with them. Lots of tech. Our housing market's a bit stupid at the moment, but 300k is a pretty good budget.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dupersaurus posted:

If you're working off of a recipe (which, ianae, I assume is the use case) what matters is that you're using the same measurement as the recipe-maker. You're not looking for the absolute measurement of volume or weight, you're looking for a relative quantity. If the recipe says "8 oz of sugar", it doesn't matter than sugar has a different density than flour or water since you're not measuring flour or water, you're measuring sugar; put your scale on fl oz, though, and now you've got a problem. It doesn't matter than 1 fl oz of water doesn't equal 1 fl oz of oil, because what's important that 1 fl oz of water/oil will be the same(*) as a different 1 fl oz of water/oil

(*)ignoring changes caused by different temperature and ambient pressure, but that's likely not an issue in such small amounts

The point is that you don't have a problem using the fl oz setting instead of oz on that scale because both settings on the scale do the exact same thing. The scale can only measure weight, not volume. If you put something other than water in on the fl.oz./ml settings, it will give you the wrong results. Because it's only measuring weight, and the "fluid ounces" setting is just an alias for the weight-based ounces anyways.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 8, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What thread should I ask in if I'm trying to find a game that I can't remember the name of?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

What thread should I ask in if I'm trying to find a game that I can't remember the name of?

The Help Me Remember the Name of a Game thread, of course!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

dupersaurus posted:

If you can hold your nose over red-state-trying-to-turn-purple, I'll go to bat for Raleigh-Durham. Two hours to the beach, three hours to the "mountains". Hipsters and liberals and the culture stuff that comes with them. Lots of tech. Our housing market's a bit stupid at the moment, but 300k is a pretty good budget.

This is a good suggestion. I was also thinking about Columbus, Ohio but that might be too overcast to work.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks. I looked in games, but I guess I didn't go far back enough. That forum moves so fast!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serious question, what's the worst case scenario if you move to say Austin, TX? What are you worried will happen if you move to a liberal city in a conservative state?

If you're just worried about some MAGA poo poo-head running their mouth then you're in luck because people like that stay the hell out of cities. They're scared of them. For a few years I lived in a major city in the south but worked at a factory 40 minutes out of town. Any time a co-worker found out where I lived they couldn't believe I'd set foot there let alone live there.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 8, 2021

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Is there a word for someone that feels unavoidable and somewhat annoying (in the course of my day to day) empathy for insects?

Like I don't like the idea of killing animals, would never want to hunt, but I'm not a vegan (hek maybe I should be) and my love and empathy for animals isn't all-encompassing to the point of joining PETA or whatever, so like in that sense I basically feel the same as my friends/wife/boss/the people in my life feel about animals.

But then there are bugs (insects + arachnids + all other tiny lifeforms I'm not a botanist idk); everyone I know crushes bugs mid-sentence without ever thinking about it, kills spiders, mercs out roaches without any issue. I'm not afraid of bugs at all, and I know some people throw bugs outside and all. But legit I refused to kill a roach the other day because I couldn't bring myself to do it at work. My wife had me spray a huge beautiful spider with some bug spray stuff like months ago, mb over a year, and I watched it curl up in terrible pain and die and I legit cried about it for like, awhile. My life would be incrementally simpler if I could just crush a bug and not care... but the spider thing really clued me into the fact that my experience seems to be atypical.

As I'm writing this I'm also reminded that when I was a kid I assigned feelings to inanimate objects, so for instance I was once seriously upset when my mother returned a sports bag because "No one else is going to buy it if we don't want it and it's going to be all alone forever" - and honestly this took me longer than I care to admit to grow out of.

So like, is there a psychological term for feeling unnecessary and inconvenient empathy for things? Like bugs and/or inanimate objects? Mb there's a better thread for this, it's becoming more E/N than I intended 0_0

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

Serious question, what's the worst case scenario if you move to say Austin, TX? What are you worried will happen if you move to a liberal city in a conservative state?

If you're just worried about some MAGA poo poo-head running their mouth then you're in luck because people like that stay the hell out of cities. They're scared of them. For a few years I lived in a major city in the south but worked at a factory 40 minutes out of town. Any time a co-worker found out where I lived they couldn't believe I'd set foot there let alone live there.

Doing my best to keep this out of E/N and C-SPAM...

It's not so much fear for my personal safety as it is existential dread, I think? I don't handle hostility well. Having leadership that overtly hates me and routinely attempts to suppress me and my friends is not good for my mental health. So my fear is that if I were to move to a state where the state government is Republican-dominated, I'd have similar issues as I had in the last four years.

This is all supposition though. I can't know how I'd react without actually living there for awhile.

ultrafilter posted:

This is a good suggestion. I was also thinking about Columbus, Ohio but that might be too overcast to work.

I've been looking at this climate comparison tool for a lot of locations. Where I live right now nominally gets ~250 sunny days/year, which is well above average. However, I know those statistics don't account for fog, because I've compared my microclimate to other nearby locations that don't get fog and they report similar numbers of sunny days. Meanwhile, where I am gets a lot of foggy days (probably 45-60 days per year?) that are effectively not sunny. So I'm not actually sure how much sun I need!

What I do know I can't handle is long stretches of consistently un-sunny weather. Seattle gets a meager 152 sunny days per year (with minimal fog, as I recall), and they pretty much all come in one lump from late spring to end of summer. Columbus is better at 178, but still below the national average of 205...I don't know what the distribution is like though.

EDIT: whoops, forgot to reply to these earlier:

regulargonzalez posted:

Wrong Farmington haha, I was talking about Farmington NM.

Fwiw, you get used to the smaller size and being far away from big cities. For the first 40 years of my life I never lived anywhere smaller than 500,000 people. Moved to Cortez 3 years ago and the first 6 months were a culture shock but it grew on me really quickly and I don't think I'll ever live in a big city again. I love museums and the zoo and such but realistically I would hit them up once or twice a year when I lived in Chicago or Denver. I can do that now -- visit big city of choice on vacation and get my dose of culture and then back to relative peace and quiet. gently caress Denver or Chicago traffic, gently caress the noise and pollution. I do miss the road bike paths in Denver but that's about the only thing I miss.

So, my concern with small-town living is definitely in E/N territory, but suffice to say I'm in my late 30's and single. I don't want to limit my options any more than I have to, and I want to be able to have confidence that wherever I end up, I can form new social networks with the people there. The smaller the community, the greater the risk of not being able to find a group I mesh well with.

dupersaurus posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it serious consideration.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 9, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

black.lion posted:

So like, is there a psychological term for feeling unnecessary and inconvenient empathy for things? Like bugs and/or inanimate objects? Mb there's a better thread for this, it's becoming more E/N than I intended 0_0

I dunno about the specific question you're asking but I will say this: having empathy for and lacking a desire to kill living things that aren't causing harm to anyone is a commendable trait. Insects and their kin are important, ecologically and economically, and their biodiversity has tanked by astonishing amounts over the past 50 years.*

It's possible your emotional regulation needs work, though I'm not really qualified to say anything about it, but don't aspire to be someone who just kills living things for no reason no matter how small or insignificant they might seem.

* ETA: also they are interesting and nice in their own right, outside of any ecological and economic importance. Even then, they're still just animals doing what animals do. They have no concept of what bother, real or imaginary, they are to people. I know you already realize this but I didn't mean to imply that I think their value to us is the only reason to decide to spare them or not.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 9, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I grew up in California. It's a lovely state. It's also really loving expensive. I'm giving serious consideration to picking up and moving elsewhere once the pandemic is more or less under control (i.e. not imminently). The question is, where? I don't have a ton of experience with most of the country, so I'm hoping I can access the goon hivemind for some recommendations and things to consider.

The main things I'm searching for / worried about :
  • I'd like to be able to buy a decent house for under $300k wherever I end up. I'm single and don't need a ton of space, but I've had enough apartment living to know it's not for me.
  • I have seasonal affective disorder, so I need to avoid long stretches of gray, overcast days. I spent three years in Seattle and it was not a good time, thanks to the continuous overcast between September and April. These days I get a lot of fog (living on the coast near San Francisco will do that), but it's broken up by the occasional sunny day, which helps a lot.
  • I'd prefer to not live in a deeply conservative state, even if it's in a liberal island. Politics brings enough stress into my life as it is.
  • I want a reasonable level of access to social services and events (again assuming that this is post-covid). I used to daydream about building a cabin in the woods, but then I realized that that meant a 30+ minute drive to get to anything and the idea lost a lot of its appeal for me. Doesn't have to be urban, but rural is out.
Otherwise, I can handle heat/cold, humidity isn't fantastic but I can cope. Basically, give me photons and the ability to find nerds to play board games with and I'll be OK. Where would you recommend I look?

(and if this is the wrong place to ask, sorry! Where ought I to go instead?)

So, the Bay Area has some of the mildest, best weather in the country. It's one of the big reasons everyone wants to live there. You may think "I can deal with it being colder/hotter/more humid," but I would strongly, strongly recommend you rent wherever you move to for a year before you decide to buy a house there. I went to college in Upstate NY after growing up in California (Mendocino County, which generally gets considerably hotter than the Bay Area during the summer, and considerably colder during the winter), and thought the same thing you did: "I can deal with the cold, I've been in the snow, I've gone skiing in Lake Tahoe, that's fine." I live in Seattle now, and anywhere outside of this climate belt is just a hard "no" from me as far as a place to live (and I recognize that my move to Rochester was from some of the best weather in the country to some of the worst, but it really made me realize what I value). The Northeast is a frozen hellscape during the winter, and a hot, humid hellscape during the summer; there are, like, eight weeks of good weather during the year (about four weeks of spring, and four weeks of fall). Maybe someone of stiffer constitution than I have could learn to love it after 18+ years of living in California, but you may be surprised by how much worse it is than you think it is. And don't think winter is over as soon as you're starting to see the back end of February, either; things don't warm up again until late April/early May. And the winters there are cloudy as gently caress. Like, I really can't express enough as someone from the West Coast how much the Northeast/Midwest is not fit for human habitation. Your brain isn't capable of comprehending it until you've lived through it.

Given your requirements, the first two places to pop into my head were Denver, CO and Raleigh-Durham, NC. North Carolina is a red state, but not as red as South Carolina or other dep red areas, and the triangle is a blue oasis. It does get very hot and humid during the summer, but has very mild winters. Relative to the northeast, Denver also has fairly mild winters. Here's a Pittsburgh/Denver comparison:

Note that the highs in winter are quite a bit higher in Denver; the lows may be similar, but those lows are usually dead of night. And while the summer highs in Denver are higher, the humidity in Pittsburgh is about twenty points higher, meaning it feels much hotter than it appears on the temperature gauge, and a humid heat (which you basically never get in the Bay Area) is way, way worse than a dry heat; additionally, because the summer lows in Pittsburgh are also higher, it doesn't cool off as much at night (which then feels even hotter because of that humidity). You'll also note way more rainy days in Pittsburgh, meaning more cloud cover.

People who grew up in the Midwest/Northeast and have never lived anywhere else will swear that it's fine and normal, especially if they have someplace worse nearby to point to, but I saw weather I would swear even the people who wrote the loving Bible hadn't thought of. And even though I'm saying Raleigh-Durham... like, the summers there are going to really loving suck.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

The thing to take into account is that each of these is going to have an affect on your mental state. Finances are quite literally life in the US because we don't have a sane healthcare system and because Obama stepped in to make sure Bernie got the boot in the primary, we're not likely to see a sane healthcare system for decades at minimum. This means that even considering only potential healthcare stress, high cash price is, well, a high price to pay mentally.

Distance to civilization is something that it sounds like will be the most difficult for you to compromise on- you sound like you are actively seeking connections, and quite frankly more people means more potential friends and/or lovers. Politics ties in with distance to civilization- in particular if you're pretty sensitive, it's not going to be good for you to try to be on good terms with people who would be okay with people you are friends with being killed or imprisoned.

The climate you went into pretty well yourself, but you have modern ingenuity on your side here. You can buy sun lamps, and on weekends you can look at a weather map, find somewhere with some sun, and drive there. Even if you ignore this and go live in the darkest dingiest place you can, I still would bet that you would be able to handle it better than compromising on any of the other dimensions.

As such, I would suggest two things: compromising on climate, and working to increase your well-being in other ways to compensate. The primary way I'd suggest doing so would be through improved sleep hygiene. You mention being an indie dev- knowing this I'd bet pretty strongly that you're looking at screens right up through bedtime. If you combine a variety of sleep hygiene improvements and also include something like a daylight alarm clock, this can make a huge impact on general well being. Yale also does a free course on coursera on well-being that is highly regarded if you're interested:https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 9, 2021

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

black.lion posted:

As I'm writing this I'm also reminded that when I was a kid I assigned feelings to inanimate objects, so for instance I was once seriously upset when my mother returned a sports bag because "No one else is going to buy it if we don't want it and it's going to be all alone forever" - and honestly this took me longer than I care to admit to grow out of

I still get this sometimes and it's incredibly annoying. I can't find one specific word for it--some kind of hyperempathy/emotional dysregulation/anthropomorphism Thing.

Anyway, agreed, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have empathy for bugs, it's just not common for whatever reason. The crying for hours thing you could probably use some cognitive therapy techniques for if it's happening enough to really bother hou.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Doing my best to keep this out of E/N and C-SPAM...

It's not so much fear for my personal safety as it is existential dread, I think? I don't handle hostility well. Having leadership that overtly hates me and routinely attempts to suppress me and my friends is not good for my mental health. So my fear is that if I were to move to a state where the state government is Republican-dominated, I'd have similar issues as I had in the last four years.

This is all supposition though. I can't know how I'd react without actually living there for awhile.

Fair enough. I'll stop prying. Guess I've just never known anything other than an openly hostile and contemptuous government.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

So, the Bay Area has some of the mildest, best weather in the country. It's one of the big reasons everyone wants to live there. You may think "I can deal with it being colder/hotter/more humid," but I would strongly, strongly recommend you rent wherever you move to for a year before you decide to buy a house there. I went to college in Upstate NY after growing up in California (Mendocino County, which generally gets considerably hotter than the Bay Area during the summer, and considerably colder during the winter), and thought the same thing you did: "I can deal with the cold, I've been in the snow, I've gone skiing in Lake Tahoe, that's fine." I live in Seattle now, and anywhere outside of this climate belt is just a hard "no" from me as far as a place to live (and I recognize that my move to Rochester was from some of the best weather in the country to some of the worst, but it really made me realize what I value). The Northeast is a frozen hellscape during the winter, and a hot, humid hellscape during the summer; there are, like, eight weeks of good weather during the year (about four weeks of spring, and four weeks of fall). Maybe someone of stiffer constitution than I have could learn to love it after 18+ years of living in California, but you may be surprised by how much worse it is than you think it is. And don't think winter is over as soon as you're starting to see the back end of February, either; things don't warm up again until late April/early May. And the winters there are cloudy as gently caress. Like, I really can't express enough as someone from the West Coast how much the Northeast/Midwest is not fit for human habitation. Your brain isn't capable of comprehending it until you've lived through it.

Given your requirements, the first two places to pop into my head were Denver, CO and Raleigh-Durham, NC. North Carolina is a red state, but not as red as South Carolina or other dep red areas, and the triangle is a blue oasis. It does get very hot and humid during the summer, but has very mild winters. Relative to the northeast, Denver also has fairly mild winters. Here's a Pittsburgh/Denver comparison:

Note that the highs in winter are quite a bit higher in Denver; the lows may be similar, but those lows are usually dead of night. And while the summer highs in Denver are higher, the humidity in Pittsburgh is about twenty points higher, meaning it feels much hotter than it appears on the temperature gauge, and a humid heat (which you basically never get in the Bay Area) is way, way worse than a dry heat; additionally, because the summer lows in Pittsburgh are also higher, it doesn't cool off as much at night (which then feels even hotter because of that humidity). You'll also note way more rainy days in Pittsburgh, meaning more cloud cover.

People who grew up in the Midwest/Northeast and have never lived anywhere else will swear that it's fine and normal, especially if they have someplace worse nearby to point to, but I saw weather I would swear even the people who wrote the loving Bible hadn't thought of. And even though I'm saying Raleigh-Durham... like, the summers there are going to really loving suck.
Just one more thing that most people who live in the more habitation-friendly areas of the country don't realize:

No matter how much you want to bundle up and stay the gently caress inside when it's freezing loving cold out, you can't, because you have to shovel your sidewalk. As a homeowner (or even a renter), it's your loving responsibility to keep your sidewalk clear of snow, so you have to bundle your rear end up, and haul yourself outside and shovel eight million tons of white bullshit off of the sidewalk even though it's the last loving place you want to be.

EDIT: And you have to dig your driveway out whenever you want to go somewhere. Unless you don't have a driveway, in which case you have to move all the snow off of your car, including the snow the snowplows have stacked to high loving heaven on top of it.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 9, 2021

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!

Earwicker posted:

sure i understand the desire to have your own private island, what i dont understand is what exactly you are getting for the $350 other than a piece of paper you could easily print out yourself. it's not like buying a title from the sealand people gets you an actual island, so how is that any more "legitimate" than simply declaring yourself the duke of whatever apartment you live in?
That guy from earlier had it -- it's just a bit of fun. But most of you are echoing my mother that it's a waste of money. Fine. I'll get a barony instead -- that's only $142.49.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Given your requirements, the first two places to pop into my head were Denver, CO

He ain't finding a home for 300k here.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

PersonFromPorlock posted:

That guy from earlier had it -- it's just a bit of fun. But most of you are echoing my mother that it's a waste of money. Fine. I'll get a barony instead -- that's only $142.49.

If you want a county get a county. Like I said as long as you make it into an experience of some sort it is likely to improve your well being. Or if you’re legitimately ok with doing the barony instead go with that. You’ve made it clear that it is an important subject to you- don’t let people bully you whether they are your mom or internet strangers. I will add the caveat that I am saying this because you have made clear it is not a financial imposition and you also aren’t asking about doing something like joining a cult or doing something dangerous.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

He ain't finding a home for 300k here.

Maybe in Aurora. Or the west Colfax area.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Just one more thing that most people who live in the more habitation-friendly areas of the country don't realize:

No matter how much you want to bundle up and stay the gently caress inside when it's freezing loving cold out, you can't, because you have to shovel your sidewalk. As a homeowner (or even a renter), it's your loving responsibility to keep your sidewalk clear of snow, so you have to bundle your rear end up, and haul yourself outside and shovel eight million tons of white bullshit off of the sidewalk even though it's the last loving place you want to be.

EDIT: And you have to dig your driveway out whenever you want to go somewhere. Unless you don't have a driveway, in which case you have to move all the snow off of your car, including the snow the snowplows have stacked to high loving heaven on top of it.

The cool thing about winter and just staying inside all the time and not going anywhere is that your car battery will freeze and have the energy sucked out of it by the cold air just through entropy.

In addition to wiping off a ton of snow and ice, you probably need to recharge the battery too because it froze to death :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/comments/leod42/maybe_ill_stay_inside_today/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
God, joining this site is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Y'all're amazing, thank you!

Thanatosian posted:

So, the Bay Area has some of the mildest, best weather in the country. It's one of the big reasons everyone wants to live there. You may think "I can deal with it being colder/hotter/more humid," but I would strongly, strongly recommend you rent wherever you move to for a year before you decide to buy a house there.

This is fair feedback, and the advice to rent before buying is well-taken. One question: you say "the winters are cloudy as gently caress" -- is the implication that it's overcast pretty much every day for several months?

I've experienced hot and muggy before, and while I won't say I enjoy it, I do feel like I can cope. For cold though, the worst winters I've experienced were Seattle winters though, which isn't setting a particularly high bar. "Cold enough for snow to stick around for several days" is about as bad as it got. Three layers, hat, gloves, and a scarf would do ya for keeping warm.

I have a sibling (who also grew up in California) who lives in Philadelphia these days. It's clearly possible to make the transition. I haven't asked him if he'd rather he were back in California though. :v:

Slimy Hog posted:

He ain't finding a home for 300k [in Denver].

There's a few on Redfin that scrape in under $300k. They're all either fixer-uppers or small (sub-800sqft), but neither of those is necessarily a dealbreaker. I mean, you presumably know more than I do since I'm just looking at a website. I do know that Boulder, CO is infamously one of the spillover places for tech yuppies fleeing the Bay Area and prices are silly high there.

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not generally scared of manual labor, though it being mandatory manual labor does make it rather less fun. I'd need to learn to drive in the snow of course. It's kind of weird to think about driving as an issue, given that these days I'm doing like 15 miles per week, tops.

CrazySalamander posted:

The thing to take into account is that each of these is going to have an affect on your mental state. Finances are quite literally life in the US because we don't have a sane healthcare system and because Obama stepped in to make sure Bernie got the boot in the primary, we're not likely to see a sane healthcare system for decades at minimum. This means that even considering only potential healthcare stress, high cash price is, well, a high price to pay mentally.

Distance to civilization is something that it sounds like will be the most difficult for you to compromise on- you sound like you are actively seeking connections, and quite frankly more people means more potential friends and/or lovers. Politics ties in with distance to civilization- in particular if you're pretty sensitive, it's not going to be good for you to try to be on good terms with people who would be okay with people you are friends with being killed or imprisoned.

The climate you went into pretty well yourself, but you have modern ingenuity on your side here. You can buy sun lamps, and on weekends you can look at a weather map, find somewhere with some sun, and drive there. Even if you ignore this and go live in the darkest dingiest place you can, I still would bet that you would be able to handle it better than compromising on any of the other dimensions.

As such, I would suggest two things: compromising on climate, and working to increase your well-being in other ways to compensate. The primary way I'd suggest doing so would be through improved sleep hygiene. You mention being an indie dev- knowing this I'd bet pretty strongly that you're looking at screens right up through bedtime. If you combine a variety of sleep hygiene improvements and also include something like a daylight alarm clock, this can make a huge impact on general well being. Yale also does a free course on coursera on well-being that is highly regarded if you're interested:https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being.

Thanks for these well-reasoned thoughts. I think I generally agree with the thrust of your arguments.

Regarding sleep hygiene: I've made this a priority for pretty much my entire adult life. These days I'm in bed by 10 and get up at 6 every day. I am staring at screens pretty much all day, but I use f.lux to regulate the color temperature of my screens so they don't interfere too much with my circadian rhythms. (incidentally, y'all should install f.lux, it makes a huge difference for me)

Anyway, installing more lighting (especially full-specrum bulbs) to help counteract seasonal affective disorder is something I really should be doing more of anyway, regardless of where I am.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

God, joining this site is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Y'all're amazing, thank you!

This is fair feedback, and the advice to rent before buying is well-taken. One question: you say "the winters are cloudy as gently caress" -- is the implication that it's overcast pretty much every day for several months?

I've experienced hot and muggy before, and while I won't say I enjoy it, I do feel like I can cope. For cold though, the worst winters I've experienced were Seattle winters though, which isn't setting a particularly high bar. "Cold enough for snow to stick around for several days" is about as bad as it got. Three layers, hat, gloves, and a scarf would do ya for keeping warm.

I have a sibling (who also grew up in California) who lives in Philadelphia these days. It's clearly possible to make the transition. I haven't asked him if he'd rather he were back in California though. :v:
So, I believe the areas around the great lakes are considerably more cloudy than the areas even a few miles inland, so my experience there is most likely coloring that. That being said, you should probably avoid anyplace known for "lake effect snow."

And there's a difference between experiencing "hot and muggy" for a week or two, and experiencing it from June through September, especially when it doesn't cool off at night. This is why I recommend renting for an entire year before you consider buying.

quote:

There's a few on Redfin that scrape in under $300k. They're all either fixer-uppers or small (sub-800sqft), but neither of those is necessarily a dealbreaker. I mean, you presumably know more than I do since I'm just looking at a website. I do know that Boulder, CO is infamously one of the spillover places for tech yuppies fleeing the Bay Area and prices are silly high there.
Yeah, it's maybe a bit outside your price range; I assumed 300k was just a reference point, not a hard ceiling. And Denver is definitely way loving closer to a 300k house than anywhere near the Bay Area.

quote:

I'm not generally scared of manual labor, though it being mandatory manual labor does make it rather less fun. I'd need to learn to drive in the snow of course. It's kind of weird to think about driving as an issue, given that these days I'm doing like 15 miles per week, tops.
It's not just the manual labor, it's that you have to do it; it's not like yard work, where you can just mow your lawn tomorrow if you don't feel well today; that sidewalk must be shoveled, no matter what, and anytime you want to go anywhere, you're going to have to dig that loving car out; it's definitely something that will make you less likely to socialize/go out and do things than you think it will.

You've got the sibling, though; ask them about this poo poo. Obviously, I'm biased from the perspective of "tried it once, decided it's not loving for me," and your sibling will likely have the opposite perspective.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

So, I believe the areas around the great lakes are considerably more cloudy than the areas even a few miles inland, so my experience there is most likely coloring that. That being said, you should probably avoid anyplace known for "lake effect snow."

And there's a difference between experiencing "hot and muggy" for a week or two, and experiencing it from June through September, especially when it doesn't cool off at night. This is why I recommend renting for an entire year before you consider buying.

Yeah, it's maybe a bit outside your price range; I assumed 300k was just a reference point, not a hard ceiling. And Denver is definitely way loving closer to a 300k house than anywhere near the Bay Area.

It's not just the manual labor, it's that you have to do it; it's not like yard work, where you can just mow your lawn tomorrow if you don't feel well today; that sidewalk must be shoveled, no matter what, and anytime you want to go anywhere, you're going to have to dig that loving car out; it's definitely something that will make you less likely to socialize/go out and do things than you think it will.

You've got the sibling, though; ask them about this poo poo. Obviously, I'm biased from the perspective of "tried it once, decided it's not loving for me," and your sibling will likely have the opposite perspective.

300k is a reference point, not a hard ceiling. I've been sticking to that number mostly because I've already run it through my budget calculations. Speaking of which: I should speak to a financial planner before actually taking any action.

Good to know about lake effect; knowing that term will be helpful.

Denver honestly looks pretty nice in terms of overall climate, aside from the minor detail of 60" of snow per year. :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can still find plenty of houses in CA, they're just all going to be inland. Places in the Inland Empire in SoCal, around Hemet and Yucca Valley are decent areas. Hot and dusty, but they have their own beauty.
Central Valley has huge population centers as well, Stockton, Fresno, Merced, but they all have their tradeoffs in crime and environment.

I'm just saying if you're planning on moving across the country you can look a hundred miles inland and see if that environment and political alignment meets your needs first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

You can still find plenty of houses in CA, they're just all going to be inland. Places in the Inland Empire in SoCal, around Hemet and Yucca Valley are decent areas. Hot and dusty, but they have their own beauty.
Central Valley has huge population centers as well, Stockton, Fresno, Merced, but they all have their tradeoffs in crime and environment.

I'm just saying if you're planning on moving across the country you can look a hundred miles inland and see if that environment and political alignment meets your needs first.

That is an excellent point. I spent four years in the SoCal desert for college. I can cope with 300 frickin' sunny days per year and it never raining. :v:

This kind of thing is why I'm asking these questions! I get wrapped up in my own brain and I need the outside perspectives and reality checks. Thank you!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Denver honestly looks pretty nice in terms of overall climate, aside from the minor detail of 60" of snow per year. :v:

The sun comes out and melts the snow so quickly that they don't really plow or use salt and instead rely on the sun to take care of the snow after it melts.

Fake edit: come out to Denver. It's cool. (Though I'm moving to yuppieville Boulder in 2 weeks to be closer to the mountains)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

black.lion posted:

I don't know if there's a name for it, but I 100% know what you mean. Young Me had real trouble throwing away drawings, for instance...
I work on the theory that the death of a bug becomes a "safe" and contained way to process some of the vast and incomprehensible cruelty of the world. A little bit like that story of the soldier in WW1 who got through weeks of murderous trench warfare, and then fell apart over the sight of a broken doll.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

The sun comes out and melts the snow so quickly that they don't really plow or use salt and instead rely on the sun to take care of the snow after it melts.

Fake edit: come out to Denver. It's cool. (Though I'm moving to yuppieville Boulder in 2 weeks to be closer to the mountains)

I'm not entirely sure I can trust you, given your avatar :v: Denver does sound pretty tempting though!

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010

smackfu posted:

My kitchen scale supports these units: oz, fluid oz, g, ml. Is there any reason for the liquid ones?

On my scale the dry measures also use larger units (pounds/kilograms), while the liquid measures don’t. I’m not going to claim both versions are necessary (I’d personally prefer the liquid versions pretty much all the time), but there is a difference in formatting.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's the best place to look for a house to rent in a small/medium sized city in the US? Years ago it was Craigslist but I'm wondering if something better has come along.

Just to be clear, I mean like a permanent residence. Not a short term vacation rental.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!

CrazySalamander posted:

If you want a county get a county. Like I said as long as you make it into an experience of some sort it is likely to improve your well being. Or if you’re legitimately ok with doing the barony instead go with that. You’ve made it clear that it is an important subject to you- don’t let people bully you whether they are your mom or internet strangers. I will add the caveat that I am saying this because you have made clear it is not a financial imposition and you also aren’t asking about doing something like joining a cult or doing something dangerous.
See, I'm inclined to agree with you because you tell me what I want to hear. It isn't a financial imposition, especially if I pay with my Amazon money, which I've always treated as nothing but mad money. I make $60-$80 a month from it, and I've got about $120 piled up. And a Sealand county would make me happy, if only briefly. I'd just blow it on eBay garbage anyway that's happiness value would be even more transient. It isn't a zero-sum game, regardless. I can buy a county and donate to my favored charity (The local animal shelter rather than the food bank Edit and the arts center. I'm a patron of that and have always supported the performing arts. I've seen both operate and the animal shelter does more a lot more good for the dollar, in my opinion.)

My mother's also not happy about my desire to change my last name, which only COVID has delayed. I need the town office to be open. It's spelled wrong, for one, and for two, I have a speech impediment that makes it really hard for me to say. Question now is whether I want to change it to the same name spelled correctly or something altogether different but similar that I rather like and I have some history with. I've gone by the correct-spelling version for more than a decade, since starting college, but I'm not adverse to a new name, particularly one that's common locally. I don't know why I keep a relationship with that horrid woman -- she tried to have me committed once for not wanting to move in with her -- but I do. I write under a different name and gender altogether, which ruffles my mother's dander enough.

Edit: I'm not aware of a count ascension ceremony, but I suppose I could make one up, basing it on the monarch ceremony. I have friends more than willing to play along, especially if I make them barons, which, as a count, I'd be more than qualified to do. Maybe hire a small choir to sing Zadok the Priest. Small town -- choirs come cheap. High school choirs, especially. It could easily be done, after COVID.

PersonFromPorlock fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 10, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That is an excellent point. I spent four years in the SoCal desert for college. I can cope with 300 frickin' sunny days per year and it never raining. :v:

This kind of thing is why I'm asking these questions! I get wrapped up in my own brain and I need the outside perspectives and reality checks. Thank you!

I’d echo the poster that said ‘you get used to it’ re: living in a red state. Most of the larger cities in the south are as blue as cities anywhere and finding like-minded people to date or play board games with wouldn’t be a problem. Austin, Houston, New Orleans (kind of), Atlanta, Nashville, NC triangle, Richmond, are all very progressive. Hell even the smaller college towns are changing. That may not allay all your political hesitations, but I wouldn’t write off big cities in red states entirely.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

What's the best place to look for a house to rent in a small/medium sized city in the US? Years ago it was Craigslist but I'm wondering if something better has come along.

Just to be clear, I mean like a permanent residence. Not a short term vacation rental.

Craigslist is still good, Zillow has come up to be more or less tied with it. IME a lot of places are dual listed but some places are only one or the other, so check both. It's also likely somewhat regional so your experience might vary!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

McCracAttack posted:

Honestly I would go through a broker even though it costs more.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

Honestly I would go through a broker even though it costs more.

This might be regional too. IME brokers for rentals tend to focus on high-end apartments and condos. I got in touch with one out of curiosity when we were moving across the country and she flat out said if I was looking to rent a house I was better off looking on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d echo the poster that said ‘you get used to it’ re: living in a red state. Most of the larger cities in the south are as blue as cities anywhere and finding like-minded people to date or play board games with wouldn’t be a problem. Austin, Houston, New Orleans (kind of), Atlanta, Nashville, NC triangle, Richmond, are all very progressive. Hell even the smaller college towns are changing. That may not allay all your political hesitations, but I wouldn’t write off big cities in red states entirely.

It's very possible the Supreme Court is going to nuke nationwide gay marriage in the next couple of years, so that's gonna be a hit to the "I can just live in a blue city in a red state" possibilities for anyone in the LGBTQ community.