Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Are stocks ever going to have another down day?

Yeah.

I'm kind of nervous that I got into stocks recently. It seems like I'm "playing the game" on easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

thats not candy posted:

active trader pro? its clunky but has a lot more information. i still use robinhood along side it because yeah you cant beat that interface

Yeah I was looking into that but not sure if I can get away with installing it onto my work laptop

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Stocks will have a down day once every company and bank buys into that cockamamie "invest 10% into bitcoin" plan to pump its price into the stratosphere... followed by any kind of fall.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah.

I'm kind of nervous that I got into stocks recently. It seems like I'm "playing the game" on easy mode.

thing is, you don't want to be the guy who's forever waiting for the inevitable collapse. If you started in 2010 you would still be well in the green even at the bottom of the two "hard modes" of late 2018 and early 2020

like, look at this chart of AAPL and imagine not investing in it in 2018 because you think things are going to go to poo poo any minute. Things did go to poo poo, but the bottom of 2020 was around the max of 2018.

what you can do is to not go all in immediately and commit slowly so that you can still make a move if things go south and benefit from it.

even then if your time horizon is long enough it really doesn't matter and just put all your money into whatever you want now and don't look at your account again for the next X years, and unless you invested in like SEARS or something like that it will be fine

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Space Fish posted:

Stocks will have a down day once every company and bank buys into that cockamamie "invest 10% into bitcoin" plan to pump its price into the stratosphere... followed by any kind of fall.

idk sounds pretty rational to me, and I have it on good authority that we're in the irrational timeline now

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Why did I listen to goons and buy $MOON which has an ER of 65 bps

Oh well MOON to the moon boys

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Why did I listen to goons and buy $MOON which has an ER of 65 bps

Oh well MOON to the moon boys

I don’t know what that means but I’m up 20% this last week. Stonks!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'll look into the investment thread. Thanks, everyone. Sorry if I disrupted the thread with unrelated questions.

SabinBlitz posted:

Read the fine print on Robinhood about crypto. I think if I understand their TOS they can sell your coins whenever they feel like it or even seize them for “your protection “

There are better alternatives.

Unless you’re taking their free stock and selling it to buy dogecoins for shits and giggles then by all means.

And yeah that's basically the goal and pretty much the only reason I got Robinhood. My cousin's pretty serious about doge but I just want to experiment with it. Throw 20bux at it and see what happens.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Framboise posted:

I'll look into the investment thread. Thanks, everyone. Sorry if I disrupted the thread with unrelated questions.

And yeah that's basically the goal and pretty much the only reason I got Robinhood. My cousin's pretty serious about doge but I just want to experiment with it. Throw 20bux at it and see what happens.
lol that's how i got sucked into day trading four years ago (dicking around with bitcoin on a crypto exchange)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Is there any rational explanation at all for TSLA buying poo poo tons of bitcoin or is this just Musk wanting to pump bitcoin for reasons?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

Is there any rational explanation at all for TSLA buying poo poo tons of bitcoin

Nope!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

can corps do crimes with BTC away from the watchful eye of the SEC?

like if Tesla decided to pay some random Chinese corp $500m in BTC for whatever reason, who's monitoring their BTC transactions?

or can TSLA just file an 8-K saying 'we no longer own 1/3 of our BTC'

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Saylor (CEO of MicroStrategy) was on Bloomberg this afternoon and said their move to buy it was that they couldn’t get the same returns holding cash, and that the right thing to do for stockholders was to buy a ton of bitcoin because it would return value instead of just staying in USD.

Now, given the position of MSTR in the analytics business, I feel like there’s quite a few things they could do with that cash to regain their standing. Buy a company like Plotly. Expand the services division, especially when Machine Learning is big. Instead, he just put it all on black because “Bitcoin has gone up 200% annually on average.” Given that the stock has 8x over the last few months, maybe it might pay off (for him, when he sells and this time he can retire instead of 20 years ago when MSTR hit 3000 and then eventually fell down to 5 and he had to stick it out)

Not a single question in the interview about the business itself, but he did say Dogecoin was a distraction, while Bitcoin is more gold than gold.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Femtosecond posted:

Is there any rational explanation at all for TSLA buying poo poo tons of bitcoin or is this just Musk wanting to pump bitcoin for reasons?

He

He's not smart

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone who puts company funds into Bitcoin is a loving idiot. Tesla is a car manufacturer, not an investment firm. If he cares so much about ROI then he should be pouring more money into expanding Tesla’s product line.

Imagine Apple taking their cash horde and putting it into Bitcoin.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

they could have sold some of it today for a ~25% gain, assuming they bought it in january. musk knows that he can move markets and he does it frequently. just look at how he threw gas on the GME fire.

i have no idea what they're planning to do with the BTC but pump and dump is a plausible explanation. there's enough liquidity on the US-based exchanges that they could have gotten out of a significant chunk of what they bought just on the action today

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

thing is, you don't want to be the guy who's forever waiting for the inevitable collapse. If you started in 2010 you would still be well in the green even at the bottom of the two "hard modes" of late 2018 and early 2020

like, look at this chart of AAPL and imagine not investing in it in 2018 because you think things are going to go to poo poo any minute. Things did go to poo poo, but the bottom of 2020 was around the max of 2018.

what you can do is to not go all in immediately and commit slowly so that you can still make a move if things go south and benefit from it.

even then if your time horizon is long enough it really doesn't matter and just put all your money into whatever you want now and don't look at your account again for the next X years, and unless you invested in like SEARS or something like that it will be fine

Would it be a good idea to put a stop on my stocks?

Like say if I purchased a stock at $50 and it's currently at $75, would it be smart to put a stop at say $55 to ensure I not only sell at a profit, but to protect me incase the company is entering some dark hard times?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ZOM!

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would it be a good idea to put a stop on my stocks?

Like say if I purchased a stock at $50 and it's currently at $75, would it be smart to put a stop at say $55 to ensure I not only sell at a profit, but to protect me incase the company is entering some dark hard times?

Or you could do a trailing stop by percent. If you set a 10% stop it would sell if it went below $67.50. If The stock went from $75 up to $100 it would sell if it went below $90. (or 10%)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

pmchem posted:

like if Tesla decided to pay some random Chinese corp $500m in BTC for whatever reason, who's monitoring their BTC transactions?

or if they were paying mexican-american-border-tunnel-based narcotics suppliers with btc you mean

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sound_man posted:

Or you could do a trailing stop by percent. If you set a 10% stop it would sell if it went below $67.50. If The stock went from $75 up to $100 it would sell if it went below $90. (or 10%)

Just did this for all my stocks. Thanks.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

pmchem posted:

Maybe they can get a discount paying suppliers in places with capital controls? The factory owner gets part of the payment in local currency that they can’t get out of the country and so use to run the business, then the owner’s cut is in bitcoins that they can turn into dollars when they go overseas.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Space Fish posted:

Fortunately the government can backstop the uh, bitcoin currency. Backstop it in American dollars.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just did this for all my stocks. Thanks.

Depending on the tax status of any imminent realized gains, you may want to set the trailing stop loss at more than 10% in case a given stock dips and rebounds in quick succession.

*side-eyes PLTR*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I lost my CCIV shares to a limit swing like that and I would have preferred to keep them so be sure they're your actual limits

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can you put a stop loss using the robinhood app?

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Number go up! Wondering when I should sell this thing...

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

RCarr posted:

Yes, look for the "transfer account" button

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

New stock people, posting or otherwise, I am writing to inform you that Robinhood is an on-fire pile of garbage.

It will work mostly which makes you think it’s a legitimate operation, but they have failed every single stress test they’ve had to handle. They can’t handle a lot of buyers, they can’t handle a sell off, they can’t handle pumps and dumps, they can’t even handle selling options without loving up and driving people to suicide.

Please, for the love of money, do not use Robinhood. I recommend you use TDAmeritrade or it’s software suite, ThinkOrSwim. It’s free and has far more functionality and is far more stable. It offers you the ability to do so much with your stocks that Robinhood doesn’t, but is also perfectly capable for simple trading.

Please do not use RobinHood. It seems designed around simplicity, but it’s actually just broken and you will have a better time with almost any other brokerage.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

RCarr posted:

Click on 'Shares' at the top right corner when you're in the Sell screen and it'll give you the conditional order options.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Splinter posted:

Yes, look for the "transfer account" button

Can confirm this works.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I lost my CCIV shares to a limit swing like that and I would have preferred to keep them so be sure they're your actual limits

Will do. Especially on fast growing stock.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Speaking of fast growing stocks, anyone know what's driving the huge increase in OCGN? I haven't got much spare time to look into it and I'm wondering if it's just another pump or something more substantial. Bet those early birds are pleased with a 5000% increase in value.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

jokes posted:

New stock people, posting or otherwise, I am writing to inform you that Robinhood is an on-fire pile of garbage.

It will work mostly which makes you think it’s a legitimate operation, but they have failed every single stress test they’ve had to handle. They can’t handle a lot of buyers, they can’t handle a sell off, they can’t handle pumps and dumps, they can’t even handle selling options without loving up and driving people to suicide.

Please, for the love of money, do not use Robinhood. I recommend you use TDAmeritrade or it’s software suite, ThinkOrSwim. It’s free and has far more functionality and is far more stable. It offers you the ability to do so much with your stocks that Robinhood doesn’t, but is also perfectly capable for simple trading.

Please do not use RobinHood. It seems designed around simplicity, but it’s actually just broken and you will have a better time with almost any other brokerage.

Do we have a greatest hits anywhere of Robinhood's fuckups? Stuff like infinite margin and the totally-not-a-savings-account.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

When I started to buy some more serious stock this graph just frustrated me. It really does look like something is going to give at some point. But I instead just shortened the timescale and bought my Disney on a tiny dip after checking out when the next earnings call was coming up. It's up now €30 which for one stock worth 160 seems really good I guess? The lesson I took from that is that there's no best time to do anything.
The problem I got from this was when do I grab my profit and reinvest.

How do people do that actually? I feel like I should sell that stock now to cash my profit and maybe rebuy on the next tiny dip?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What do you guys look for when deciding whether a company is worth throwing money at? I'm pretty familiar with financial statements but is there anything in particular to keep any eye out for?

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Darth TNT posted:

When I started to buy some more serious stock this graph just frustrated me. It really does look like something is going to give at some point. But I instead just shortened the timescale and bought my Disney on a tiny dip after checking out when the next earnings call was coming up. It's up now €30 which for one stock worth 160 seems really good I guess? The lesson I took from that is that there's no best time to do anything.
The problem I got from this was when do I grab my profit and reinvest.

How do people do that actually? I feel like I should sell that stock now to cash my profit and maybe rebuy on the next tiny dip?

Welcome to the age of ZIRP.

Just buy ETFs if you don't know how to value a company or time it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jokes posted:

Why them and not Fidelity? Cause I deposited cash into them to try the buy NDRA but it said I didn’t have the cash to buy it, even though it totally says I do. Someone else said it’s cause they don’t sell low priced stocks? I dunno, I’m hoping it’s just one of those issues where banks in the US apparently still send messages to other banks via a horseback rider so it’ll take a day or so to clear.

All I know is with Robinhood if I deposited money into the app then I was able to immediately use that money the nanosecond after I hit submit. I’m not on their Gold plan so I’m not trading on margin or whatever.

Fedelity’s iOS app also sucks and I guess I’m one of those millennials that choose stuff based on branding.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is ZSAN and did it shoot up so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Femtosecond posted:

Gonna start accepting bitcoin in tesla no driver taxis baby!