Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Midjack posted:

Oh poo poo did Zelda get ported to the PS4?

yeah there was a direct you missed, nintendo finally went 3rd party, custom gold zelda ps5 announced and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah there was a direct you missed, nintendo finally went 3rd party, custom gold zelda ps5 announced and everything.

This would be like seeing aliens in real life. Everything you think you know about gaming would be turned upside down.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Vikar Jerome posted:

Cruel and unusual :(

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Hey, how come SQUEENIX have never made a DQ/FF crossover game???

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My ff14 character has a slime hat

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Simone Magus posted:

Hey, how come SQUEENIX have never made a DQ/FF crossover game???

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest_%26_Final_Fantasy_in_Itadaki_Street_Special

I am just now learning about this myself, and I am honestly intrigued.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Simone Magus posted:

I hate Nintendo for always having a ton of good exclusives so you can't just ignore their consoles

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the n64

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Simone Magus posted:

Cruel and unusual :(

the ps5's raytracing is just unreal at 8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Mq1DyQIak

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

"i think other people have this specific wrong opinion" just doesn't do it for me and isn't a compelling argument in favor of a system.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I backed it up and gave some of my reasoning behind why it was good system instead of just leaving it at that, then.

Look, no one is forcing you to like it, but there are plenty of arguments as to why it makes the game better. This is all obviously subjective and I don't expect everyone to like it, but I do take issue with people who frequently just call it bad when there is reasoning that it is not in fact, bad.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 8, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My INSANELY hot take is that if you don’t like weapon durability then you won’t like BotW in general because the entire game is built with the same design philosophy. I think some of the haters envision this idea that Weapon Durability is the only thing keeping them from enjoying BotW, and like others have said, Weapon Durability basically completely stops mattering when you start playing for real and you’re constantly overburdened with awesome high level magic weapons.

It’s like trying to play Sekiro if you hate parrying. The game is designed from the ground up with this mechanic as its central balancing act, you can’t change the nature of that mechanic without fundamentally rebalancing the entire game.

Also, I watched 5 minutes of Valhalla footage and Jesus Christ if the combat in that game looked even the least bit interesting to do I’d have bought it by now but it seriously looks like dogshit :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gort posted:

Dragon Quest 5 is twenty nine years old, though. It's probably utterly terrible, just because games have moved on in thirty years.

Edit: OK, it got remade a mere twelve years ago but still that's drat old in game terms

DQ still plays like a game made in 1984 so that doesn't make any difference

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I hate Nintendo for making dumb games that ppl go insane over for no reason

beanpole indifferent to nintendo babygames. call me when nintendo makes a good animes and until that happens shove the babygames up your butt and around the corner

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's very little more anime than current Fire Emblem.
And old Fire Emblem.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Mario is anime.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mario is actually cyberpunk

edit;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KVx_CqmyDg

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 9, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
So I just finished Episode 1 of Kentucky Route Zero, and I am strangely not as hooked as I was expecting. I did appreciate the few creepy bits the silhouettes of people in the "abandoned" mine or someone walking back and forth in front of the camera at the farm, but it's not fully grabbing me.

I know people rave about this game, so is there a particular spot where it really hooked y'all? Like I said, I'm not DISLIKING the game, but I'm not feeling that itch of "I HAVE to know what's going on and what happens next!" like I did with certain other types of games, like Oxenfree, for example. Plus the character in KR0 moves so drat slow!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO26RQkfID8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no 4chan archie comics plz

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

beanpole indifferent to nintendo babygames. call me when nintendo makes a good animes and until that happens shove the babygames up your butt and around the corner

The funny thing is I’ve always felt like you’d love BOTW if you gave it a fair shake.
It taps into a lot of stuff you like in games.

I could be wrong but it’s something I’ve thought about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BP wouldn’t be able to get out of the opening cave

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

So I just finished Episode 1 of Kentucky Route Zero, and I am strangely not as hooked as I was expecting. I did appreciate the few creepy bits the silhouettes of people in the "abandoned" mine or someone walking back and forth in front of the camera at the farm, but it's not fully grabbing me.

I know people rave about this game, so is there a particular spot where it really hooked y'all? Like I said, I'm not DISLIKING the game, but I'm not feeling that itch of "I HAVE to know what's going on and what happens next!" like I did with certain other types of games, like Oxenfree, for example. Plus the character in KR0 moves so drat slow!

I would say the main area that ends act 2 is the point where if you’re really really not into it you should give up, but I liked it from the beginning.

And of course Conway moves slow! He hurt his leg!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I honestly feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t play Nintendo games. You’re missing out on so many joyous experiences. They’re the best developer in the world

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My quest for lovely PS3 FPS games almost claimed a life.
Is this copy of FEAR 3 cursèd???

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My quest for lovely PS3 FPS games almost claimed a life.
Is this copy of FEAR 3 cursèd???

I am living vicariously through you through your journey. All these games are ones I've had on my backlog forever. Glad someone is doing the lord's work playing these gems.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

It gets exponentially better with every episode, more or less. The last one just destroyed me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I honestly feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t play Nintendo games. You’re missing out on so many joyous experiences. They’re the best developer in the world

They really do make some great games. Nintendo sort of lost me in the Wii/U years (although even that had some real bangers) but roped me back in. Although I wish they'd put stuff out more frequently. My switch just collects dust 8 months out of the year. Luckily it gets a ton of use in the other 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Episode 1 is the leanest and most game-like of all of them. Episode 2 and beyond shift more towards exploration and storytelling, until it's more a piece of interactive fiction than a game, and it starts hitting the tone and emotion buttons harder and more skillfully. But it will always be slow and never the kind of plot that builds tension and resolves it with conflict; it's more of an allegorical character study than anything else

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I am living vicariously through you through your journey. All these games are ones I've had on my backlog forever. Glad someone is doing the lord's work playing these gems.

“Gems” such as Duke Nukem Forever, Singularity and Fear 3 :anime:

I’m genuinely considering buying Haze, I have this fascination with terrible console FPS games.

I’m gonna finish DNF ASAP and then move on to Killzone 2, which arrived today

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

“Gems” such as Duke Nukem Forever, Singularity and Fear 3 :anime:

I’m genuinely considering buying Haze, I have this fascination with terrible console FPS games.

I’m gonna finish DNF ASAP and then move on to Killzone 2, which arrived today

I'm the weirdo that somewhat enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. Have you played Colonial Marines yet? I've been meaning to check that out for myself just to see what all the fuss is about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I'm the weirdo that somewhat enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. Have you played Colonial Marines yet? I've been meaning to check that out for myself just to see what all the fuss is about.

Yes, in fact my friend and I bought Colonial Marines around launch to play the co-op. It was excruciatingly bad, we played it for a few hours but if you can’t make a co-op FPS fun, then you have made a huge mistake. It’s perhaps one of the worst FPS games ever on PS3. I was half-thinking of getting it again but it is absolutely terrible.

He might still have it actually 👀

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BP wouldn’t be able to get out of the opening cave

Quantum of Phallus: Imagine this: some beanpole games under the earth in a cavelike dwelling. Stretching a long way up toward the daylight is its entrance, toward which the entire thread is gathered. This beanpole has been in this dwelling since childhood, shackled by the legs and neck. Thus he stays in the same place so that there is only one thing for him to look that: whatever zelda game he encounters in front his face. But because he is shackled, he is unable to turn his head around. A 4K tv is behind him, and there is a wall between the 4K tv and the goon.

Quantum of Phallus: Some light, of course, is allowed to him, namely from the 4K tv that casts its glow toward him from behind, being above and at some distance. Between the 4K tv and the goon who is shackled [i.e., behind his back] there runs a walkway at a certain height. Imagine that a low wall has been built the length of the walkway, like the 1440p computer monitors that internet trolls put up, over which they show their memes. The images are carried before the 4K tv.

Quantum of Phallus: So now imagine that all along this low wall of computer monitors internet trolls are making all sorts of threads that pile up and go gold higher than the wall: goatses and animes and other memes made of stonks or doges and many other artifacts that goons have made. As you would expect, some are talking to each other [as they walk along] and some are silent.

Escobarbarian: This is an unusual picture that you are presenting here, and these are unusual posters.

Quantum of Phallus: They are very much like us humans, I [QoP] responded.

What the beanpole sees and hears

Quantum of Phallus: What do you think? From the beginning a beanpole like this has never managed, whether on his own or with the help by others, to see anything besides the memes and posts that are [continually] projected on the wall opposite them by the glow of the 4K tv.

Escobarbarian: How could it be otherwise, since they are forced to keep their heads looking at a Zelda game for their entire lives?

Quantum of Phallus: And what does he see of the things that are being carried along [behind him]? Does he not see simply these [namely the memes]?

Escobarbarian: Certainly.

Quantum of Phallus: Now if he were able to say something about what he saw and to talk it over, do you not think that he would regard that which they he on the wall as :five:ed threads?

Escobarbarian: He would have to.

Quantum of Phallus: And now what if this thread also had a derail reverberating off the zelda game in front of him [the one that he always looks at]? Whenever one of the posters walking behind those in game (and carrying things) would make a shitpost, do you think the beanpole would imagine that the derail were anything other than the memes passing in front of them?

Escobarbarian: Nothing else, by Zeus!

Quantum of Phallus: All in all [I responded] those beanpoles who were chained to the zelda game would consider nothing besides the memes of the derails as the truth.

Escobarbarian: That would absolutely have to be.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Quantum of Phallus: Imagine this: some beanpole games under the earth in a cavelike dwelling. Stretching a long way up toward the daylight is its entrance, toward which the entire thread is gathered. This beanpole has been in this dwelling since childhood, shackled by the legs and neck. Thus he stays in the same place so that there is only one thing for him to look that: whatever zelda game he encounters in front his face. But because he is shackled, he is unable to turn his head around. A 4K tv is behind him, and there is a wall between the 4K tv and the goon.

Quantum of Phallus: Some light, of course, is allowed to him, namely from the 4K tv that casts its glow toward him from behind, being above and at some distance. Between the 4K tv and the goon who is shackled [i.e., behind his back] there runs a walkway at a certain height. Imagine that a low wall has been built the length of the walkway, like the 1440p computer monitors that internet trolls put up, over which they show their memes. The images are carried before the 4K tv.

Quantum of Phallus: So now imagine that all along this low wall of computer monitors internet trolls are making all sorts of threads that pile up and go gold higher than the wall: goatses and animes and other memes made of stonks or doges and many other artifacts that goons have made. As you would expect, some are talking to each other [as they walk along] and some are silent.

Escobarbarian: This is an unusual picture that you are presenting here, and these are unusual posters.

Quantum of Phallus: They are very much like us humans, I [QoP] responded.

What the beanpole sees and hears

Quantum of Phallus: What do you think? From the beginning a beanpole like this has never managed, whether on his own or with the help by others, to see anything besides the memes and posts that are [continually] projected on the wall opposite them by the glow of the 4K tv.

Escobarbarian: How could it be otherwise, since they are forced to keep their heads looking at a Zelda game for their entire lives?

Quantum of Phallus: And what does he see of the things that are being carried along [behind him]? Does he not see simply these [namely the memes]?

Escobarbarian: Certainly.

Quantum of Phallus: Now if he were able to say something about what he saw and to talk it over, do you not think that he would regard that which they he on the wall as :five:ed threads?

Escobarbarian: He would have to.

Quantum of Phallus: And now what if this thread also had a derail reverberating off the zelda game in front of him [the one that he always looks at]? Whenever one of the posters walking behind those in game (and carrying things) would make a shitpost, do you think the beanpole would imagine that the derail were anything other than the memes passing in front of them?

Escobarbarian: Nothing else, by Zeus!

Quantum of Phallus: All in all [I responded] those beanpoles who were chained to the zelda game would consider nothing besides the memes of the derails as the truth.

Escobarbarian: That would absolutely have to be.

what on earth

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is this thread seriously in the “Nintendo games are stupid and for babies” phase

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most of us are saying they’re great, I think? fridge corn is being his usual grumpy self and BP is on some Plato poo poo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

man nurse posted:

Is this thread seriously in the “Nintendo games are stupid and for babies” phase

what do you mean phase

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just fired up BotW again after over a year of not touching it, hoping to be inspired by the praise in this thread.

while i can see that there are good qualities to the game and why people would enjoy what's there, i still just can't derive much joy from it. it feels like everything is a chore and a risk not worth taking to find out what's in some canyon deep in the distance, which is probably another enemy encampment that has a bow for treasure but not until you go into the menu to discard your weakest bow bc your inventory is too full and you don't even know the power level of the bow you're about to pick up until you discard one and clearing the encampment is meaningless bc all enemies come back during blood moons anywayyyy.

alright i promise i'll shut up about it after this post i've said more than enough.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
BP i believe I that post was like a dagger in my soul and I think I like it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
If I could make out with a post

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

while i can see that there are good qualities to the game and why people would enjoy what's there, i still just can't derive much joy from it. it feels like everything is a chore and a risk not worth taking to find out what's in some canyon deep in the distance,

This is where we differ, because I 100% wanna check out that canyon off in the distance and the fact that it takes more than merely walking over to it makes it even more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol, i [lolling] loll'd aloud