Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

uggy posted:

I thought part of it was just that pitcher mechanics have been repeated tens of thousands of times and now you’re asking them to throw further? Wasn’t injury risk a thing that makes moving the mound further a non starter?

There's that too. Pitchers are always going to try to strike out batters and expecting them to not try to just force that velo if you lower/move the mound seems foolhardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seeing a guy hit a single and it’s actually an out because the third base man is in short right field is stupid and boring

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you want to reduce strikeouts and improve contact then shrink the strikezone. They've changed the zone several times in the past, I don't get why baseball is uninterested in this particular lever lately.

Couple this with a lower COR ball and they should be able to maintain reasonable HR rates while increasing balls in play, which is ultimately what people mean when they say there's too many strikeouts.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya you don't need to move the mound. You can alter the height or the strikezone

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

euphronius posted:

Seeing a guy hit a single and it’s actually an out because the third base man is in short right field is stupid and boring

To me that's like saying "seeing a guy hit a HR and its actually a popup to 1B because the pitcher made him chase something high and inside." The shift is just the defense beating the hitter. Its not as if they get an extra fielder or something. They're opening up a hole the batter can't take advantage of. Why is the defense the bad guy there?

There's a lot of random stuff we could just do to inflate the offense like adding a strike or eliminating the SS. I don't think that makes them good ideas.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pro sports make changes to defense all the time for the sake of entertainment this isn’t a crazy notion

Also don’t do slippery slope on me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not doing "slippery slope", I'm asking "Why that?" What makes the defense being better than the offense the thing that we need to artificially cap to "fix" the game? I genuinely don't get it. The shift isn't some complicated change in the game. Its teams figuring out that some hitters are really limited and adjusting to take advantage of that. And we wanna tell them they're not allowed?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes because it’s boring and anti baseball and easy to fix .

It’s low hanging fruit

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

bewbies posted:

i feel like a lot of you don't remember how much fun smallball can be

Inspector_666 posted:

I like base hits but if you think people only strike out because they're trying to hit home runs too much I have some news for you.

Intruder posted:

If there's one thing I miss it's seeing a guy get bunted over to second and then stranded by a popout

NPB is all :thunk:

Wine
Jun 29, 2014
Steals are the best part of baseball. More steals.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
There's a solution to the shift that the players could take on themselves and choose not to

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its easier to handicap the better players than make the worse players better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ScottyJSno posted:

NPB is all :thunk:

I mean I feel like if you sent MLB pitching staffs to Japan you might see the strikeout rate increase there too!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They should try to get rid of the shift for a year and see what happens. I think the important thing they need to do is have more AB's end in contact and IDK if getting rid of the shift would do anything to fix that. Right now the most valuable assets are pitchers who K a lot of guys and hitters who walk a lot (no matter how much they K) which both make the game worse and more boring.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ban the cowardly curveball

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Would it speed games up?

That's all MLB cares about

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Deadening the ball would speed games up because pitchers will attack the zone more instead of nibbling around the edges

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress banning the shift, it's been around for decades and good hitters find ways to get around it. Maybe left handed hitters should learn how to do something besides pull the ball on the ground over and over and over and over.

Easy ways of getting more contact are lowering the zone to counter the high fastball revolution and increase the usefulness of sinkers, moving back and/or lowering the mound to counter the increase in average pitcher velo, and deadening the ball so pitchers aren't as worried that living in the zone will result in a million dingers. I think deadening the ball is the easiest out of those and would be the least intrusive to players and fans. Baseball was fun and there were still plenty of dingers before MLB introduced the loving moon ball a few years ago.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bleh, I was hoping we'd dodge the runner on second rule.

https://twitter.com/HannahRKeyser/status/1358900621596884998

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the shift has to stay because i want to continue watching Freddie Freeman beat it

i really hate the extra innings runner on second rule though and i would swap all the other stuff just to make it go away

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

elentar posted:

the shift has to stay because i want to continue watching Freddie Freeman beat it

This. Hitters beating the shift is awesome. Freeman beats it by just smashing the ball into the giant gap but I want to see more people bunt the poo poo into left field.

Also just because banning the shift is dumb as hell.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Juiced ball era should be more infamous than the steroid era. 4 of the top 5 homerun seasons happened during the juiced ball era (2016,2017,2018,2019) with the 3rd highest being 2000. 2020 would have been the 2nd highest homerun hitting year after 2019 if you extrapolate out the 60 game season.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean I feel like if you sent MLB pitching staffs to Japan you might see the strikeout rate increase there too!

Sorry! My emoji based response was not clear, I agree with you.

Using 2019 #s
NPB
DH League = 2.6% HR rate / 19.5% K rate
No DH = 2.6% HR rate / 20.3% K rate
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MLB
AL = 3.7% HR rate / 23% K rate
NL = 3.5% HR rate / 23% K rate

As you can clearly see I have no idea how to analyze this, or if in fact it is relevant at all. Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 9, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

i really hate the extra innings runner on second rule though and i would swap all the other stuff just to make it go away

Nothing beats a Schwarbunt against the shift.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The shift is fine. It's the "I get paid to mash dingers, not bunt" mindset that is the problem. I don't know if its a GM thing or a player thing, but if they took some time to learn to bunt and more often then not could lay down down a bunt into the totally abandoned 3b side of the field and walk to 1st it would disappear almost over night.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Different eras, but Ty Cobb used to send angry old man letters to Ted Williams for refusing hit against the shift.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/just-because-the-ted-williams-shift/

Look at that image at the bottom of the page (I'm on a phone, can't embed.) Williams is either the greatest hitter in history for the BA he maintained against the shift, or an incredible moron for not hitting .500 against it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe instead of banning the shift you should teach batters how to properly beat it :thunk:

Sure, let’s just confine every IF in the league to strictly defined spots on the field so that guys like Josh Reddick can get a few more weak singles.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe instead of banning the shift you should teach batters how to properly beat it :thunk:

Sure, let’s just confine every IF in the league to strictly defined spots on the field so that guys like Josh Reddick can get a few more weak singles.

Well that is the hope with the dead ball though, right? If singles hitters aren't hitting 35 homers everyone will try to hit homers less.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya you don't need to move the mound. You can alter the height or the strikezone

Yeah, any of these changes are fine with me. High strikeouts are only going to get worse as pitchers learn more about pitch development

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

euphronius posted:

Hit it the other way or over their head then

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Yadi and Cards close to deal, Rosenthal has it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
TBH I thought it was mostly old boomers complaining about the contact rate and guys striking out so much

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Or the mound has to be lowered. There's a school of thought that moving the mound back might actually make things worse because you are able to add even more movement to your pitches.

That's what I've heard from people who seem to know what their talking about. Imagine the break on a good curve or slider, then let that pitcher aim it farther inside/behind the batter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The secret is we're all old now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The ball of the late 2010s was ridiculously over-juiced. It wasn't fun seeing every at bat end in a strikeout, or lightly poking the ball over the fence.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Oh sure the Giants finally start hitting some dingers and now everyone wants to nerf the ball :mad:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I say we commission a study of fans who think there are too many HRs with fans who root for teams with bad offenses!

Oh sure... I know why you want to ban the shift...

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nodoze posted:

TBH I thought it was mostly old boomers complaining about the contact rate and guys striking out so much

It's old boomers complaining that this is the fault of players "not knowing how to play the game right". The players are optimizing their strategy to win games, so you can't blame anyone for wanting to hit the ball in the air, or for pitchers wanting to pound high fastballs at 98, or for working the count and drawing walks. It's just that the more three true outcomes baseball is, the less action there is, and it's less interesting to watch. The league is responsible for reacting to changes in the way the game is played and adjusting the rules or equipment to keep the experience entertaining.

Changing the ball or the strike zone doesn't change the fundamentals of the game - I'd argue that the runner on second rule, 7-inning doubleheaders, the 3-batter minimum, and the DH all change the fundamentals much more than that, and MLB is fine imposing those changes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't like the idea of banning the shift, because I don't like the idea of artificially limiting strategies. I want weird defensive configurations, or at least I want people to see if they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Runner on second in extras makes no sense to me. Extra inning games don't go very long, the few that do are really funny and rare, maybe a handful a season out of thousands of games.