Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Using a 1000 liters per bath is kinda wasteful so that's why most of our hot tubs have got filtration systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Rytheric posted:

Bought ads?

This is great.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Using a 1000 liters per bath is kinda wasteful so that's why most of our hot tubs have got filtration systems.

I am just imaging hand bailing nearly 250 gallons of water out of my well just for a hot tub lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

250 gallons of warm untreated well water seems like a great way to get pseudomonas or naegleria fowleri

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

nose irrigation center next to the hottubservatory

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Also might I throw into the ring, a sauna.

Optional 55 gal drum

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
OP, have you considered purchasing a welder of whatever variety Elviscat recommends for your applications and learning to weld?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

builds character posted:

OP, have you considered purchasing a welder of whatever variety Elviscat recommends for your applications and learning to weld?

I would be interested in learning how to weld. Don't know what I would weld though.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Rytheric posted:

I would be interested in learning how to weld. Don't know what I would weld though.

I strongly recommend learning to weld, it's great and useful.

I strongly strongly strongly recommend not personally welding anything you are going to be driving around, towing around, or living on top of.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rytheric posted:

Metal, usually.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Havin an oxy torch is really useful. A+ would recommend.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

OniPanda posted:

Havin an oxy torch is really useful. A+ would recommend.

Interesting story, I was once saving up for a business idea where I would make sapphires and rubies. IIRC it was like a 20k investment and involved an oxygen torch.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Currently about to go on my second date this year. This one is a little bit older than me and probably has her own place lol. A little nervous about broaching the subject of the Grovertruk, TimberShitter, and MurderHaus.

Also one of my roommates suggested that I lease out the first MurderHaus I make to fund the second one. This gives me something to contemplate.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Rytheric posted:

Currently about to go on my second date this year. This one is a little bit older than me and probably has her own place lol. A little nervous about broaching the subject of the Grovertruk, TimberShitter, and MurderHaus.

And there it slipped. Segued into it by talking about putting my sailboat building business idea on hold while I saved up for some land to build tiny houses on. Let's see how that goes over. Going to leave GroverTruk out of it for now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Also one of my roommates suggested that I lease out the first MurderHaus I make to fund the second one. This gives me something to contemplate.

We have a legal advice thread that I'm sure would love to hear about your idea to rent out the hot box.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Someone suggested I looked into hydronic heating. I ended up buying a book that I hoped would teach me how to build solar panels, but instead it seemed Ike a survey of different types of solar and what to do with it which referenced heating water using solar thermal panels as observed below.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of heating and if I should use it for the MurderHaus? I imagine I'd have to have extremely well insulated floors.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

can we have this thread be the only thing on the SA front page?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

Someone suggested I looked into hydronic heating. I ended up buying a book that I hoped would teach me how to build solar panels, but instead it seemed Ike a survey of different types of solar and what to do with it which referenced heating water using solar thermal panels as observed below.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of heating and if I should use it for the MurderHaus? I imagine I'd have to have extremely well insulated floors.

Yes, and if you get a book that isn't designed for such a large structure, you will find fully-passive solar systems. In this setup, natural convection of your working fluid (the stuff in the panel) keeps the flow going. If the collector is designed decent, then your water stays around 50°C all year long, and can get up above 60°C in the summer. If you put the collector LOWER than your "hot water" tank, then cold water tries to flow down into the collector, and hot water flows up. If you had some flavor of water tower, this would be ideal.

Basic idea here: https://scienceprog.com/harvesting-energy-with-home-made-solar-thermal-collector/

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Interesting story, I was once saving up for a business idea where I would make sapphires and rubies. IIRC it was like a 20k investment and involved an oxygen torch.

this isn't a rabbithole, it's like a fuckin ant colony with crazy side tunnels you can still get lost in, and i'm here for it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Johnny Truant posted:

this isn't a rabbithole, it's like a fuckin ant colony with crazy side tunnels you can still get lost in, and i'm here for it

It probably was something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnH-NPyhD0

I also don't think this would be a wise venture for someone whose philosophy is to ignore safety protocols and see WHY something is dangerous.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Bogus Adventure posted:

I also don't think this would be a wise venture for someone whose philosophy is to ignore safety protocols and see WHY something is dangerous.

Wow, no that wasn't how I was going to make it. The way he is doing it is very dangerous, a lot of material is being blown away, and the rubies will likely explode during cooling from time to time or explode when he tries to cut them.

The method I was going to use which is how they're historically made was to melt the oxides in a chamber and having them drip on to a platform that slowly pulls away and rotates if I recall from the chamber creating a stalagmite of ruby that you later break into smaller rubies for sale. To make the apparatus if I recall was like 10k or so or you could buy them for 20-30k

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So the whole ruby thing is actually more in line with my stronger skill set than anything else. I spent 11 years of my life studying chemistry. Only reason I'm a geologist is because I was forced to graduate a semester earlier than my chemistry degree since I already obtained a geology degree a semester early and I ran out of funding. I only have 2 years engineering experience, 4 years geology experience (1 of which is environmental). I have maybe half a year of automotive experience between all the vehicles I've repaired and sold (mainly coolant system repair/replacement, brakes, starters/relays and such), and my electric skills are from wiring my mother's house and two semesters of basic electricity physics.

Unfortunately, my chemistry experience is really only used as a hobby or for amateur experiments and research for Mars colonization enthusiast groups. I have a chemistry set in my bosses garage that is largely unused other than practicing crystal growth. The ruby's would have been the only thing I could figure out how to make money off my chemistry experience unless I sell apparatus for Mars colonization research equipment or science equipment in general. Well other than meth, but I decided that was too cliche to do once I found out about breaking bad. Lol

Funny side story, I almost made ecstacy once when I was trying to make aspirin until I went through the procedure again and realized I was using the wrong source material. Willow bark. Thats what you make aspirin from.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 9, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Should have sold the X imo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You mean Asprin (acetylsalicylic acid), not Tylenol (acetaminophen) right?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

You mean Asprin (acetylsalicylic acid), not Tylenol (acetaminophen) right?

Yes aspirin sorry. It's been years since that incident lol

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Space Kablooey posted:

Should have sold the X imo

Nah, that would have been a wicked head ache if i took that instead of what I thought was aspirin though.

Edit: sorry for the double posts, I'm starting to remember how to use a forum lol.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 9, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I think this thread is the epitome of :suspense:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I decided to create a flow chart of goals and accomplishments but it was so convoluted and a tangled mess until I reorganized it based on which games of my childhood inspired me to create these goals. So here is my goal web which is heavily based on Heroes of Might and Magic, Outpost 2, and the Sims. Looks like I'm about 40% done with my life goals which means if I started them by 20 I likely won't finish til I'm late 50s early 60s.

I shared my end goals with the second date I have this year and she said she loved them and that several of them were for helping others. She said her goals were to travel and retire on a beach. I figured this was the time to bring up the GroverTruk. I will let yall know how it goes.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I'm confused, is it having a Wife and Kids in the Sims or in real life?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rytheric posted:

I figured this was the time to bring up the GroverTruk. I will let yall know how it goes.

:f5:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rytheric posted:

She said her goals were to travel and retire on a beach. I figured this was the time to bring up the GroverTruk.

Just guessing here but it sounds like that’s where she was hoping there was part of your plan that involved financial stability, not mobile infernos.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
You want to retire on a carrot? A carrack?

Edit: I'm glad you accomplished your love goal at least.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Big fan of Life Aspirations -> Outpost 2 -> Make Outpost 3
I'm assuming these are like HoMM outposts

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Redmark posted:

Outpost 2 was a kickass game: https://www.mobygames.com/game/outpost-2-divided-destiny

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Digital Prophet posted:

can we have this thread be the only thing on SA

Ftfy

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

EasilyConfused posted:

You want to retire on a carrot? A carrack?

Edit: I'm glad you accomplished your love goal at least.

Carrack

Thanks. Im actually done with the basics of all my goal trees. So im actually pretty satisfied with my life. With the novella and game I actually made progress in those as well just need time to follow through with them. Maybe in retirement.

Redmark posted:

Yay second quote in a post, im progressing!
Outpost 2 is a game. I want to make a third installation of it, but many have aspired to do so and failed. If someone does accomplish it, I'm going to make mine anyway and just change some stuff. I made like concept dos version of it with letters representing things.

Snowy posted:

Just guessing here but it sounds like that’s where she was hoping there was part of your plan that involved financial stability, not mobile infernos.

Lol. Im already roughly financially stable. Once I'm further along in my stock portfolio I will be more stable/stable enough that I won't be dependant on my job.

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm confused, is it having a Wife and Kids in the Sims or in real life?

In real life. The first boxes coming out of life aspirations are my the games that inspiration the rest of the real life motivations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Rytheric posted:

Yay second quote in a post, im progressing!
Outpost 2 is a game. I want to make a third installation of it, but many have aspired to do so and failed. If someone does accomplish it, I'm going to make mine anyway and just change some stuff. I made like concept dos version of it with letters representing things.
oh I did not read fully
I kind of thought you had a plan to get a Necropolis going, recruit some Vampire Lords, maybe start raising skeletons
I guess it can wait for after Mars

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Im already roughly financially stable. Once I'm further along in my stock portfolio I will be more stable/stable enough that I won't be dependant on my job.

Oh well carry on then and let your freak flag fly! 🥂

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

lol, thanks for reminding me about the time I macguyvered a vibrator together for my g/f out of a broken playstation controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Rytheric tip. If you've got a vehicle that will sit idle for an extended time. Hook a small solar panel up to it to keep the battery alive.