Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Only time I’ve seen an overworld actually work recently was... The Division 2??? Where you have activities and control points to take over across DC but every day the targeted loot for each area changes so it gets you to go to various locations (instead of immediately dialing in on whatever one is the “best”) as you chase whatever item/gear you’re currently after.

Yeah finding chests and events and poo poo is always exciting The Division 2. I think part of the issue is that event/chest rewards in adventure mode are worthless in D3. Maybe if they all had 1/4 of a Vault's worth of stuff in them. Or a guaranteed legendary with a higher chance to be primal. Or a guaranteed set piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We have absolutely no idea they are planning on doing with either mounts or the bigger open world though, you’re just kind of assuming it works like World of Warcraft

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bio347 posted:

Honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around "we made D4 open world and are giving you a mount to travel faster around it!" If your map is so big and empty that I need to go faster to get around it, that means it is both too big and too empty. You should fix those problems instead of papering over them.

Fixing those issues doesn't let them sell cosmetic mount skins though. :ssh:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m fine with the open world personally, just needs to be done right. Regardless of size, as long as there’s plenty of monsters to kill, places to explore, and methods of travel, then it should be fine. If the mount is somehow incorporated into the combat with a skill tree for mounted combat or something, that could be cool too, just depends how it’s done. It’s too early to assume something won’t work without seeing it in action.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

We have absolutely no idea they are planning on doing with either mounts or the bigger open world though, you’re just kind of assuming it works like World of Warcraft
I mean, Diablo3 was more like WoW than D2. Especially near launch. Blizz has had massive churn since then and fired a lot of the old guard so maybe it won't be like WoW.

If they were doing "Diablo3 but slightly better because we've improved some core systems & built on the lessons learned with d3+ros & are fixing the engine" then I'd have a decent amount of faith and be slightly optimistic. Instead, they're spitting out bad ideas and systems that don't align with what they're saying. The former idea would be much faster to market than "let's nuke everything, except not really we're going to try to build what we think d2 is on top of some real bad parts of d3 like the stat system; oh and open world, mounts".

Mounts could be a fun mechanic if they function like gw2 mounts. You press the button and are instantly mounted and moving fast. But at that point, it's just a free, endless sprint mechanic that goes away in combat.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 3, 2021

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

The open world aspect has some good potential if they are able to fill the world with enough events for players to do and rewards to find/earn. Diablo 3 is a lot like a gacha game where you're going from room to room mindlessly killing trash and little else. Honestly cannot imagine a worse idea than "yeah, let's go back to that" a slightly improved diablo 3 would have been a monumental and hilarious flop. The stuff they've shown in D4's world is already a big improvement (world bosses that tons of players can group up to fight, PvP zones, etc) over what they have now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If they did it like Guild Wars and had a bunch of public events that would be cool.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vorik posted:

The open world aspect has some good potential if they are able to fill the world with enough events for players to do and rewards to find/earn. Diablo 3 is a lot like a gacha game where you're going from room to room mindlessly killing trash and little else. Honestly cannot imagine a worse idea than "yeah, let's go back to that" a slightly improved diablo 3 would have been a monumental and hilarious flop. The stuff they've shown in D4's world is already a big improvement (world bosses that tons of players can group up to fight, PvP zones, etc) over what they have now.
Those features specifically make me think they have no idea what they're doing.

World bosses are straight trash in every single game they're in. They kind of work in guild wars 2, but there's no way they will work well in a Diablo game. It will be "show up, do nothing relevant, maybe get loot" which is not engaging gameplay and goes against the entire selling point of the game.

Pvp zones only work in games designed around pvp. Albion's pvp zones are great because the entire game is designed to support it. WoW's pvp zones are awful trash, and I say that was a rank 1 gladiator who loves pvp in WoW. The big problem with "pvp zones" is you need an actual balanced pvp system and for gear/progression to not be a deciding factor. This is in direct conflict with every other system they've discussed so far. There's also the glaring issue of how to handle zergs/camping/etc which I don't trust Blizzard to even attempt to handle.

Even the idea of "random events" in an open world being a good thing for an endless progression game is horribly misguided. If you want to see the endgame for that system go play GW2. Random events tend to detract from this type of game because if they are high impact then nothing is worth doing without the event, and if they aren't high impact then they're entirely irrelevant. They also have the potential to be a pointless timegating mechanic. Random events are a strong selling point for introducing a dimension of non-linearity to a linear single player experience. Not for an endless open world grind, and not in the way they're going to implement them.

D3 has some random events with rainbow portals, goblin shrines, goblin portals, and goblins. That's fine. The main problem with D4's design so far is they're trying to shove in failed MMORPG mechanics from 2002 into a 2024 ARPG. And they have no interesting spin on them. Just systems that don't align with the rest of the systems they've disclosed.

Most of D4 sounds like it was designed by a Jay Wilson-tier person who had to pander to get a rubberstamp from decision makers who have never actually played an ARPG or game that used these mechanics in their life. Except this time the Jay Wilson standin has actually played D2 and is trying to recreate the pseudo-mmo popularity it gained in 2000. Which is real weird because MMOs are a dying genre. "Lots of people playing at once!!" is not a selling point to anyone except 30+ year-olds chasing a nostalgia-fueled love for a game that never existed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 3, 2021

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Field Mousepad posted:

If they did it like Guild Wars and had a bunch of public events that would be cool.

Yeah warhammer online also had a cool public quest system. Iirc d4 devs did seem to imply that this was going to be a big part of d4. The shared world and whatnot. They are all solid systems so the only real worry is that they half rear end them and only have a few of such events and with little variety.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Honestly I am fine with whatever in theory. The loot treadmill is the core gameplay loop of ARPGs and as long as they refine the hell out of that loop and keep the friction of diving into it very low, so for example no excessive over world travel to jump into a dungeon, they can layer whatever on top. In theory at least, I'd be willing to play it out and give it a chance.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ll only accept a Duriel mount if it freezes the screen when you summon it
It also only works when you're currently looking for Baal.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I, being a man of refined taste, only want a mount that's an Imp/Fallen whose shoulders I ride while it screams "RAKINISHU!" every 2 seconds.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Imagine not wanting a Duriel mount ASAP. Tsk.

I don't think the world of Diablo has dragons so I guess it won't be like WoW where everyone's on their dragon mount.

Vorik fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 3, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Vorik posted:

I don't think the world of Diablo has dragons so I guess it won't be like WoW where everyone's on their dragon mount.

Trang-Oul was a dragon, I think. I know what you mean though they're conspicuously absent from a high fantasy game with literally every other high fantasy trope.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vorik posted:

I think they showed a dragon looking thing being beat up in a gameplay trailer. Could have just been a giant one of those flying guys in act 3.

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

Khorne posted:

Those features specifically make me think they have no idea what they're doing.

World bosses are straight trash in every single game they're in. They kind of work in guild wars 2, but there's no way they will work well in a Diablo game. It will be "show up, do nothing relevant, maybe get loot" which is not engaging gameplay and goes against the entire selling point of the game.

Pvp zones only work in games designed around pvp. Albion's pvp zones are great because the entire game is designed to support it. WoW's pvp zones are awful trash, and I say that was a rank 1 gladiator who loves pvp in WoW. The big problem with "pvp zones" is you need an actual balanced pvp system and for gear/progression to not be a deciding factor. This is in direct conflict with every other system they've discussed so far. There's also the glaring issue of how to handle zergs/camping/etc which I don't trust Blizzard to even attempt to handle.

Even the idea of "random events" in an open world being a good thing for an endless progression game is horribly misguided. If you want to see the endgame for that system go play GW2. Random events tend to detract from this type of game because if they are high impact then nothing is worth doing without the event, and if they aren't high impact then they're entirely irrelevant. They also have the potential to be a pointless timegating mechanic. Random events are a strong selling point for introducing a dimension of non-linearity to a linear single player experience. Not for an endless open world grind, and not in the way they're going to implement them.

D3 has some random events with rainbow portals, goblin shrines, goblin portals, and goblins. That's fine. The main problem with D4's design so far is they're trying to shove in failed MMORPG mechanics from 2002 into a 2024 ARPG. And they have no interesting spin on them. Just systems that don't align with the rest of the systems they've disclosed.

Most of D4 sounds like it was designed by a Jay Wilson-tier person who had to pander to get a rubberstamp from decision makers who have never actually played an ARPG or game that used these mechanics in their life. Except this time the Jay Wilson standin has actually played D2 and is trying to recreate the pseudo-mmo popularity it gained in 2000. Which is real weird because MMOs are a dying genre. "Lots of people playing at once!!" is not a selling point to anyone except 30+ year-olds chasing a nostalgia-fueled love for a game that never existed.

but with no open world multiplayer in which to see other players, how will you get jealous of other people's shiny cash shop mounts?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
In D2 did you get better drops if you played online? I always made online games, but they were always just me and I can't remember why I didn't just play local.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

In D2 did you get better drops if you played online? I always made online games, but they were always just me and I can't remember why I didn't just play local.

I think it made more items drop when you played with people but not increase the quality. There was some funky stuff with players in game vs in group vs nearby too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beachcomber posted:

Foe the most part, no. But there were some rune words that you could only get online. Not sure if that was the only exclusive items.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Beachcomber posted:

IIRC, capital-s Singleplayer used a persistent per-character terrain map rather than generating a new one every session. The specific packs, elites, shrine type, etc respawned at random but the locations and map fog clearing was static for that character forever (until you made/joined an MP game on LAN or open bnet). D1 worked mostly the same way and when those early design choices were being made, it wasn't clear which one consumers were going to prefer in the long run. Beyond that, if you ever wanted to be able to eventually trade with others on closed bnet (including taking hand-me-downs from your own mule), you had to play closed bnet exclusively. Open bnet wasn't quite as bad as D1, but it was really, really bad and the frictions associated with closed bnet were annoying but obviously necessary.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

keseph posted:

IIRC, capital-s Singleplayer used a persistent per-character terrain map rather than generating a new one every session. The specific packs, elites, shrine type, etc respawned at random but the locations and map fog clearing was static for that character forever (until you made/joined an MP game on LAN or open bnet). D1 worked mostly the same way and when those early design choices were being made, it wasn't clear which one consumers were going to prefer in the long run. Beyond that, if you ever wanted to be able to eventually trade with others on closed bnet (including taking hand-me-downs from your own mule), you had to play closed bnet exclusively. Open bnet wasn't quite as bad as D1, but it was really, really bad and the frictions associated with closed bnet were annoying but obviously necessary.

Static maps with shrine and pack refreshes are actually an important part of speedruns for d2.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Do Stone of Jordan and Convention of Elements work together, so you're getting a 200% damage bonus to all elemental damage, all the time?

https://diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/item/convention-of-elements-P2_Unique_Ring_04

https://diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/item/stone-of-jordan-P69_Unique_Ring_019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Done for this season with Necro and monk for some bounties and set dungeons. Really annoying conquests (especially the 8 set dungeons) but the 4th cube slot is fun.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know if I want to ever play wizard without having the wand of "let's literally never walk again" cubed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

I don't know if I want to ever play wizard without having the wand of "let's literally never walk again" cubed.

Didn't know they made a unique wand in honor of Christopher Reeves. Game's still surprising me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Devestating

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you are interested in this kind of stuff:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1359585557060280320

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1359562797663846410?s=20

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule

Diablo seems to have the most content planned for this Blizzcon. I just hope it isn't like 50% Diablo Immortal stuff :haw:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vorik posted:

Diablo seems to have the most content planned for this Blizzcon. I just hope it isn't like 50% Diablo Immortal stuff :haw:

Why not? You don’t have a phone?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Why not? You don’t have a phone?

I honestly don't know how they're going to top that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Immortal will probably be pretty good as long as it's not purely a thinly veiled microtransaction box.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1359562797663846410?s=20

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule

Lilith is the coolest looking evil character they have done for Diablo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Immortal will probably be pretty good as long as it's not purely a thinly veiled microtransaction box.

I have very bad news for you.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I have very bad news for you.

By the standards of the market I'm actually expecting it will be fine. It'll still be a freebie game that gets its money from mtx though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's funny that they were putting together the Yearly Macrotransaction for virtual ticket and were like "oh no we don't have anybody who knows how to do diablo 3 stuff" and now the d3 pet / wings / portrait is TBA

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dameius posted:

By the standards of the market I'm actually expecting it will be fine. It'll still be a freebie game that gets its money from mtx though.

Yah this is what I'm thinking. If it hits around how monetized Pokemon go is it'll be fine. You can get stuff earlier/easier with money in pokemon go but it's really not key.

Then there's a gacha genre that absolutely feed off of gambling addicts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Two Treasure Goblins instead of one for the rest of the season

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This season needs to end already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any bets for d3 news at Blizzconline this week? Guessing it's mostly d4 and immortal but who knows, maybe they'll announce the season end and new theme.