Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Kowloon High School Chronicle sounds super fascinating but the dreaded 'p' word kept showing up.
Puzzle. I suck at them so much. They're agonizing to solve and when I do I feel no sense of accomplishment, just relief. Zelda is the only game series exempt from this rule. Or Scribblenauts if that counts.

I'm okay with what you have in spoilers, but would like to know if they are cryptic logic puzzles with poetic clues or adventure game style puzzles? I realize there is a good deal of overlap there, but I'm not down for a 7th Guest style "just do math for ahwile" experience in the middle of a dungeon crawler.

I also want to go on record as saying The Talos Principle was very much my jam and just the right difficulty to make it feel like my brain was working. Except the super hidden stars, I needed a guide for most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I loved Talos but the game started to lose me when it started introducing all the puzzles where you had to time the jump pads with the reflectors. I hate having to time things right in puzzle games. Baba is you lost me with the same thing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zushio posted:

I'm okay with what you have in spoilers, but would like to know if they are cryptic logic puzzles with poetic clues or adventure game style puzzles? I realize there is a good deal of overlap there, but I'm not down for a 7th Guest style "just do math for ahwile" experience in the middle of a dungeon crawler.

I also want to go on record as saying The Talos Principle was very much my jam and just the right difficulty to make it feel like my brain was working. Except the super hidden stars, I needed a guide for most of them.

So far the puzzles are less Talos Principle and more Golden Sun. The optional stuff can get a little more obtuse but is still pretty obvious if you read item descriptions (for example (minor puzzle spoilers): the first area has a statue of a judge with hands outstretched to hold something. A side area has an engraving about hiding from the judges, and a locked chest with a lapiz lazuli inside, which is an accessory. Read the item’s description and it says they could only be held by judges. Sure enough, put it in the statue and a nearby door unlocks)

The requests are closer to “cryptic logic puzzles with poetic clues” but it’s almost more like figuring out a vocabulary. The instructions always have three poetic lines (I think they were literally haikus in japanese). The first line tells you which room, the second line tells you where in the room, and the third line tells you what to do. But the individual lines are reused between requests, so once you figure out what they mean by “from the dusk door” or “in the room of grief and fire”, then you already know part of what to do for any future requests. Sometimes I’ll even recognize all three lines from previous requests, so it’s basically a freebie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Really, CSIV? The Hexen Clan's village is a bunch of Hobbit-hole houses and the Orbal Workshop is run by Gandolf? Subtle... :allears:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Kowloon High School owns

this high school has a pall of terror and mystery around it at all times, but you're the bastard child of Indiana Jones and James Bond and you're armed to the teeth, gently caress do you care?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Kowloon High School owns

this high school has a pall of terror and mystery around it at all times, but you're the bastard child of Indiana Jones and James Bond and you're armed to the teeth, gently caress do you care?
:yeah:

Other cool features I didn't notice when I did my write up before:

- The AP cost for movement always acts like you took the most efficient path possible to your locations. Walking three steps forward, one step left, and two steps back is the same as walking one step forward and one step left. Rotating left three times has the same cost as rotating right once. Attacking locks in your movement costs up to that point, but you don't need to worry about pressing the dpad one time too many and ruining your turn, or calculating movement costs in your head.

- Every time you start up the game it displays a random quote about treasure

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wtf Bernard Shaw

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

It's a good thing by that point you can most assuredly complete a dungeon in one sitting because gently caress.

Also even by the standards of P4's awesome dungeon music, Heaven stands out.

i just got to this part too and i actually waited a few days because of s-link efficiency. im a monster, i know

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I remember zerking into the dungeon and being so amped up I got ambushed in my first 3 fights.
You don't gently caress with Hanako bro. You just don't.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a dream where I had to remind everybody that Winter Voices is an RPG that exists and is still probably the only RPG that does what it does, for better or for worse (mostly worse).

Winter Voices is weird and I'm glad I played any of it at all even though I never finished it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

be sure to try the english HANT voice in kowloon high :shepface:

uh, other tips:

bombs can blow open cracked walls and floors, your HANT will comment when you pass by one. you don't need the expensive bombs, sonic ones will work

reload your guns through the inventory like its resident evil by combining ammo with the gun

here's a list of all the clues for quests if you don't want to wait for newsletters to spell them out for you https://spwiki.net/kowloon/wikis/91.html. for the ones that require you to kill an enemy in a certain way, it'll be a special spawn of that enemy in the room. so if you're looking to say kill a bat from its left side you need to do it to the correct bat for it to count. also you can leave the dungeon to get more quests or shop but it'll respawn all the enemies in areas from previous episodes. doesn't seem like it will ever generate a quest for an area you aren't able to reach so you could grind them out for a long time if you really felt like it. they can require items you don't have though

enemies can kill you in like 2 hits on hard mode so if you think the combat is easy try that out, you can change at any time

maybe keep a separate save during lunch period because i feel like it might be possible to softlock yourself in the dungeon if you don't have access to certain items? like i needed a tissue for a puzzle in episode 3 and if i hadn't already had some uhhhhh

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 8, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
You can get tissues by leaving the dungeon and exploring the girls dormitory, every time you leave the dungeon you can re-explore the night areas for their one-off items

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Kowloon is a pretty fun time so far. My only complaints are that the text speed and dungeon movement speed are both just slow enough to be annoying, and I don't see a way to speed them up.

Also, the mini-RPG within the game is a cool little 2-hour diversion that gives you a permanent bonus of a few points in all stats and 1-2 ranks in all skills for fully clearing it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FirstAidKite posted:

I had a dream where I had to remind everybody that Winter Voices is an RPG that exists and is still probably the only RPG that does what it does, for better or for worse (mostly worse).

Winter Voices is weird and I'm glad I played any of it at all even though I never finished it.

As one of the 6 people who continued paying the creator to develop more story for it before she basically gave up, I do still think of WV regularly and hope it eventually gets to see the finale she has in mind.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Thuryl posted:

Kowloon is a pretty fun time so far. My only complaints are that the text speed and dungeon movement speed are both just slow enough to be annoying, and I don't see a way to speed them up.

Also, the mini-RPG within the game is a cool little 2-hour diversion that gives you a permanent bonus of a few points in all stats and 1-2 ranks in all skills for fully clearing it.

You can hold B in the dungeon while moving to run.

You can press A to make text appear instantly while it's showing up, and hold ZR + A to auto skip text, but I don't think you can increase the write speed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

As one of the 6 people who continued paying the creator to develop more story for it before she basically gave up, I do still think of WV regularly and hope it eventually gets to see the finale she has in mind.

What was it programmed in again? I remember it was done in something that was slow as hell which made the game all the more annoying to actually play.

For those who don't know, Winter Voices is a strategy/tactics rpg where the gimmick is, iirc, that you don't actually kill anything, or that you're not doing the fighting yourself or something like that, you're just trying to survive and delay until the fight ends. I also remember that it had a massive skill tree.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It was coded in Adobe Air and a mass of it under that was a bazillion XML files. The engine did later get tightened up when it was first rebooted because the company it was being made for was forfeited to the French government for tax reasons and the creator bought it back to keep the rights, so during that whole thing, she fixed as much up as she could and it did run better.

The whole saga is insane and I keep trying to pitch it to Boss Fight Books every year as one of the wildest indie failures imaginable that nobody has heard of.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

What was it programmed in again? I remember it was done in something that was slow as hell which made the game all the more annoying to actually play.

For those who don't know, Winter Voices is a strategy/tactics rpg where the gimmick is, iirc, that you don't actually kill anything, or that you're not doing the fighting yourself or something like that, you're just trying to survive and delay until the fight ends. I also remember that it had a massive skill tree.

So sorta like Undertale, or no?

In a gameplay sense, I mean.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

So sorta like Undertale, or no?

In a gameplay sense, I mean.

I guess in an abstract sense, yeah. It's actually free on steam now and from what I gather its dlc is included in that too I think? I think Winter Voices is worth checking out if only to see what it was trying to do and not necessarily to try and complete it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lol, the reason for all your Quartz and Vantage Masters cards getting lost between CS3 and CS4 is literally "Whoops, butterfingers" :allears:. There's probably a half-dozen in-story reasons that would work just fine for a handwave, but they literally go for "Oops, Juna dropped them out of her pocket" because I think even the devs know it's just a handwaved justification anyway at this point so may as well have some fun with it.

I'm not at all surprised they nerfed the poo poo out of Brave Orders though, because Sledgehammer trivialized bossfights in Cold Steel 3. I absolutely bodied some of the Gral bosses before they could even do anything, they didn't even get their "Heh, you're pretty good" line or be able to go Enhanced, just Broken and S-Crafted to death within a few turns.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Starting to think these people in happy happy village aren't all that happy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Finished my Vagrant Story project over the weekend. I know the game doesn't have much interest nowadays but I'll share two links, the video itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZkuriIacG4

...and my GDrive album with ~100 maps/charts/lists/images from the game.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LBeXqveaN_CsN_ezfq0xAXC_rnV7-66j
Just a passion project but if you like looking at game infographics you might take a peek.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Playing a lot of RF4 lately. Two things 5 should add besides the obvious (gay marriage)
1. Sending monsters to gathering spots to get mats. Like how you do with the homs in the atelier series. Make it so some things you would still have to go for yourself (boss drops, tree seeds) but this would be a nifty feature to have imo.
2. Something like the fodder bin but just for healing potions for your monsters who are working. Make it something you have to work for, but it would be nice to have eventually.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Persona 4: He could save others, but not himself. A tragic end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The girls bad at cooking p4 jokes are the worst thing. Not just in the game, just in general.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like a lot of jokes in p4, it would be funny if, they did actually slowly eventually learn to cook well and it eased off the bit a little

or hell just like, subvert it in literally any way. maybe have them suck at cooking individually but when they come together they surprise everyone by making something that actually tastes decent? idk it just runs a joke that would've been cute for a couple scenes into the ground across 70 hours

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 9, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of symphonia does the same joke with raine but it actually manages to make it kinda funny just because of the game having an actual cooking mechanic and if you make raine do it shes terrible at it, and if you grind her to max level at it anyway you get a funny skit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IIRC it's suggested that Naoto can cook but that is perhaps simply due to Naoto having the one and only brain cell among the entire cast

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

tales of symphonia does the same joke with raine but it actually manages to make it kinda funny just because of the game having an actual cooking mechanic and if you make raine do it shes terrible at it, and if you grind her to max level at it anyway you get a funny skit.

The only reason I ever beat Symphonia was I had the guide and was compelled to cook as many recipes as possible, absolutely not worth it. And I love me a cooking system in games.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Playing a lot of RF4 lately. Two things 5 should add besides the obvious (gay marriage)
1. Sending monsters to gathering spots to get mats. Like how you do with the homs in the atelier series. Make it so some things you would still have to go for yourself (boss drops, tree seeds) but this would be a nifty feature to have imo.
2. Something like the fodder bin but just for healing potions for your monsters who are working. Make it something you have to work for, but it would be nice to have eventually.

I booted this back up too. I agree and I'll add I'd like a bestiary/fishing log so I can keep track if where I found things without relying on wikis.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

like a lot of jokes in p4, it would be funny if, they did actually slowly eventually learn to cook well and it eased off the bit a little

or hell just like, subvert it in literally any way. maybe have them suck at cooking individually but when they come together they surprise everyone by making something that actually tastes decent? idk it just runs a joke that would've been cute for a couple scenes into the ground across 70 hours

Also Yukiko explicitly learns to cook in her S.Link.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well then clearly it's canon that she's pulling an elaborate prank on everyone else and, hell, who can blame her

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The Colonel posted:

They nail Nanoko’s birthday cake when they work together.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In complete fairness Rise should know at least somewhat know how to cook, given she no only works at a tofu store but can appropriately give serving recommendations. And given the issue with her dish was the spices rather than the makeup you can kind of relate that point, with her theoretically overspicing a dish that didn't need it due to being more familiar with tofu dishes - just exaggerated for comedic effect. So in theory it wouldn't be particularly hard to fix that issue in her cooking with some instruction.

Combine that with this...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And it's really only one person who's completely hopeless at it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think you could salvage the joke with a slight rewrite.

"The girls helped me cook"

Oh good, you can infer Rise and Yukiko probably knew what they were doing by now...

*Protag takes a bite*

"Chie helped me a lot with it"

:stare:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

27 hours in and I still can't decide if I like or dislike how P4G manages saving your game in dungeons.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yukiko dying to Rise's spices is a pretty good gag. also BONELESS

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A lot of Persona 4's humor was outdated by like ten years when that game came out. Like it was written by people who watched a lot of anime in the late 90's and never again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't check out. Golden boy came out in the ninties and that's the pinnacle of anime humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
turn a gundam is funnier than persona 4 could ever dream to be