Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

awesmoe posted:

the back arrow thing next to the close inventory button

weird, im like 99% sure mine look different in a way that would explain the problem, but I cant check until I get home from work

You can also ctrl+click on an empty spot in your inventory to sort it.

And yeah, he just hasn't unlocked warping tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Now that's more like it. Of course I had to address some major goods shortages, of which one was graphene, after power production poo poo the bed while I was out of the system.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
much better

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

The best thing about new planets is how you can just sprawl one nice big clean factory out and not worry about your previous pipelines.

(18/s titanium alloy)

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 9, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eschatos posted:

So I just picked this up last week and am absolutely loving it. Just got stuck on one aspect though. I built a bunch of warpers last night and decided to go check out another system today, and found a planet with fire ice to mass produce graphene at. So I set up an interstellar station there, acting as remote supply, gave it 10 ships and several hundred warpers, and headed back home to set an interstellar station to remote demand, along with just as many ships and warpers. No one's actually delivering product, though. What am I doing wrong?

Source:

Destination:

you fixed it but just so you (and others) know for future reference: you don't necessarily need warpers for interstellar shipping, your ships will slowboat it if they can. But you have "must equip warpers" checked so they were waiting for you to enable the tech that allowed them to

also I swear to god we need a reminder for people to use timg tags in the title there's a post that takes up more than my entire screen like once a page

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, how should I begin using planetary logistics? I'm on my starter planet, and have built a spaghetti mess on about 1/3 of the planet. For now, everything is pretty easy to just belt around, but should I use logi towers to set up advanced manufacturing in new areas? Do they work like Factorio, where they just have a radius that you need to keep them connected to?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Power Walrus posted:

So, how should I begin using planetary logistics? I'm on my starter planet, and have built a spaghetti mess on about 1/3 of the planet. For now, everything is pretty easy to just belt around, but should I use logi towers to set up advanced manufacturing in new areas? Do they work like Factorio, where they just have a radius that you need to keep them connected to?

Yes you should and no they don't.

Planetary logistics are a point to points hook up - you'll need a locally supplying station and a locally demanding station. If at least one has a free drone and power, they'll start moving stuff. You get stuff in and out by running belts from of one of the 12* ports, speed is based on the kind of belt you use. You also must set an item filter on outgoing belts or nothing will come out.

*You may have less than 12 working ports if sphere math fuckery comes into play

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Each planetary logistics tower can host 3 resources. Towers have internal storage, and can hold up to 10k (I think) of each of those resources, though you can lower the cap if you don't want this one building to suck up all your sulfuric acid or whatever. A tower can be set to supply or demand each resource (i.e. provide or take them from the other towers). Once you've built a tower, you can equip it with logistics drones, which will ferry those resources to/from other towers on the same planet. No radius or limits, beyond same-planet. They can also ferry resources to interplanetary towers, once you get those. So, if you want to move your graphene from one pole to another without a giant conveyor belt, you need to build two towers, with a belt pushing the graphene straight into one of them. Set that tower to provide graphene, give it some drones, set the other tower to demand graphene, build a conveyer belt out of the receiver tower, and filter that belt (click the side of the tower above it, it's kind of badly-defined) to output graphene. Of course, you can have multiple towers providing a resource, or multiple receiving it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kazzah posted:

Each planetary logistics tower can host 3 resources. Towers have internal storage, and can hold up to 10k (I think) of each of those resources, though you can lower the cap if you don't want this one building to suck up all your sulfuric acid or whatever. A tower can be set to supply or demand each resource (i.e. provide or take them from the other towers). Once you've built a tower, you can equip it with logistics drones, which will ferry those resources to/from other towers on the same planet. No radius or limits, beyond same-planet. They can also ferry resources to interplanetary towers, once you get those. So, if you want to move your graphene from one pole to another without a giant conveyor belt, you need to build two towers, with a belt pushing the graphene straight into one of them. Set that tower to provide graphene, give it some drones, set the other tower to demand graphene, build a conveyer belt out of the receiver tower, and filter that belt (click the side of the tower above it, it's kind of badly-defined) to output graphene. Of course, you can have multiple towers providing a resource, or multiple receiving it.

Interstellar are up to 10k, planetary are only 5k

I just figured this out today while building my new green motor factory :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still on the starter planet, but question about power generation: Is there any real reason to move away from wind turbines if they are almost always running on 100% capacity? I have solar panels and the thermal generator but don't see much use for them on this planet anyway. perhaps if I run out of space and need the extra output?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I'm still on the starter planet with the exception of a titanium mine. I found my energy needs quickly struggling even with several rows of thermal generators eating graphite. Worse is that I started to have brownouts while producing yellow science.

Extra hydrogen to a set of generators helped a bit, but I don't think all solar/wind would be enough unless you covered half the planet. My oil refinery/duetrium machines alone hog a ton of power now that Ive automated T3 belts to increase throughput.

I set up my first 10 deuterium reactors and finally seem to be ahead of the power curve. When's a good time to start launching sails? I haven't touched sails or guns or anything really. I think my next goal is to ship deuterium rods to my other planets for mass iron/silicone/chips.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still on the starter planet, but question about power generation: Is there any real reason to move away from wind turbines if they are almost always running on 100% capacity? I have solar panels and the thermal generator but don't see much use for them on this planet anyway. perhaps if I run out of space and need the extra output?

I covered about half of a silicon miner planet in Wind turbines and it only generated 150MW of power. My starter planet base is using about 300MW of power and my factories are rapidly covering it completely. I have a ring of solar panels around the equator and about 50 wind turbines that I think I want to take down soon for the extra space.

One deuterium plant puts out 9MW, that’s about 40 wind turbines worth.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xinlum posted:

I set up my first 10 deuterium reactors and finally seem to be ahead of the power curve. When's a good time to start launching sails? I haven't touched sails or guns or anything really. I think my next goal is to ship deuterium rods to my other planets for mass iron/silicone/chips.

You’re way ahead of me and I’ve already got sails orbiting the sun. You can set up a small production of sails and handcraft a few railguns. Within a few orbits, I had a small dyson swarm going. It brings in a paltry few MW, but I covers my small operation. You could probably build that at a larger scale and start getting that juicy sun magic.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Yeah my progression has been weird due to automating pretty much every building super super early. You can get surprisingly far without even basic things like steel being mass produced.

I didn't need more than 1 single green chip assembler, 1 gear assembler, 1 coil machine, or 2 steel smelters until I finally automated green motors for the express purpose of automating duetrium rods. I didn't make a steel smelting array until I was automating titanium beams.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Unlucky7 posted:

I did the whole “cover half the planet in turbines” thing for longer than I should have. Eventually you just get sick of all the turbine placement and also need more room for production. I currently just use whatever comes out of my gas giant as fuel - my giant makes a lot more fire ice than I need and I am using hydrogen to make deuterium, so a lot of my thermal plants are running on pure fire ice due to my pure laziness.

Xinlum posted:

I waited until I was launching structure rockets. The sails deteriorate if they’re not in place with structure and I didn’t feel the power generation from a sail ring would be worth it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Don't really have a unified theory on this but I've noticed while trying to scale up to mass factories on new planets that the numbers tend to form repeatable patterns. Because of the way so many of the ratios are 2x/3x (or the product of the two: 6x), the numbers 36 seems to pop up as a good smelter count for most resources because they are factorable by the common ratios (36 is (3^2)*(2^2)).

For example one blue engine a second requires 72 Fe/s, 18 Ecoils/s and 9 magnets/s (i.e. 36*3/4 magnets and 36*2 Fe)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Jarmak posted:

Don't really have a unified theory on this but I've noticed while trying to scale up to mass factories on new planets that the numbers tend to form repeatable patterns. Because of the way so many of the ratios are 2x/3x (or the product of the two: 6x), the numbers 36 seems to pop up as a good smelter count for most resources because they are factorable by the common ratios (36 is (3^2)*(2^2)).

For example one blue engine a second requires 72 Fe/s, 18 Ecoils/s and 9 magnets/s (i.e. 36*3/4 magnets and 36*2 Fe)

As you point out this makes sense since 36 is divisible by 9, 6, 4, 3, and 2.

I choose the alternative path where I just make whatever number of everything and then run around looking at what is out of stock and slapping down a random number of smelters or fabricators to help alleviate the supply issue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jarmak posted:

So, for someone who doesn't care about super efficiency (me), if I just aim to build a 36 smelter/assembler block for every item I want to make I could probably set and forget in a very lazy way? Well, as long as the last items for the dyson sphere don't need maybe 3x the output of a single 36 assembler block of an item for a constant build flow.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

So I know that it takes 12 veins for 6/s ore and can support 6 smelters. Now that I'm running T3 belts everywhere, what's the new ratio? How many veins saturate a T3, and how many smelters can it feed from one belt?

Also, do multiple miners on a vein affect mining speed or just deplete the vein faster?

Edit- Is it 60 veins to 30 smelters for one T3 belt of plates? I think I was overthinking it.

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 9, 2021

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Xinlum posted:

So I know that it takes 12 veins for 6/s ore and can support 6 smelters. Now that I'm running T3 belts everywhere, what's the new ratio? How many veins saturate a T3, and how many smelters can it feed from one belt?

Also, do multiple miners on a vein affect mining speed or just deplete the vein faster?

Edit- Is it 60 veins to 30 smelters for one T3 belt of plates? I think I was overthinking it.

That's it, though with the vein utilization upgrade, you can use fewer veins, eg, at level 1, which is iirc a 10% bonus, you could use 55 veins instead of 60 (60/1.10 = 54 and a bit, so round up to saturate the belt).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kin posted:

So, for someone who doesn't care about super efficiency (me), if I just aim to build a 36 smelter/assembler block for every item I want to make I could probably set and forget in a very lazy way? Well, as long as the last items for the dyson sphere don't need maybe 3x the output of a single 36 assembler block of an item for a constant build flow.

It gets a little more complicated for assembler blocks because the recipes vary a lot. But doing things in 36/s smelter blocks makes it easy to keep general track of whether you have enough input to cover your assemblers. Using the same example as above if I work out that it takes 72/s of Fe to support a 1/s blue engine factory then I know I'll never outstrip my capacity if I have 2 smelter blocks.

It just makes it easier to do the mental math because the numbers work out cleaner more often to "oh I need 1/2 a smelter block to support this factory" or "I need 2 blocks to support that factory".

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Xinlum posted:

A yellow belt (tier 1) carries 6 items per second.
A green belt (tier 2) carries 12/s, or two yellow belts.
A blue belt (tier 3) carries 30/s, or five yellow belts. (Unlike factorio, where the ratio is 1/2/3)

Smelters smelt fe/cu ore into iron and copper plates at a rate of 1/s, so 30 smelters saturates a blue belt.
Smelters smelt fe ore into magnets at a rate of 1/1.5s, so 45 smelters saturate a blue belt.
Smelters smelt ti ore into titanium and stone into glass at a rate of 1/2s (consuming 2 items in the process), so two blue belts of input feeding 60 smelters produces one blue belt of output.

You can calculate the number of items required to saturate a belt by taking (belt speed) * (seconds to produce) / (number of items produced). Using tier 1 assembers (.75 crafting speed) raises this number by 1/3 while using tier 3 assembers (1.5 crafting speed) lowers this number by 1/3. This may sound intimidating, but all belts are factors of 2 and 3 so you can cleanly divide every time.

So a green belt (12/s) of solar sails (2 items per reaction and 4 seconds per reaction) requires (12) * (4) / (2) = 24 tier 2 assemblers, or 24 + 8 = 32 tier 1 assemblers, or 24 - 8 = 16 tier 3 assemblers.

The output of miners is based on the number of nodes being mined from, and each unit of ore output consumes one from the source (modified by the tech that reduces ore consumption). The base rate is 1 item per node per 2 seconds, so two miners covering six nodes saturates one yellow belt. This is increased by the vein utilization tech, so eventually one miner will saturate one yellow belt.

I generally don't worry too much about balancing miners. The earlygame doesn't require a large number of resources and in the lategame mining outposts are just placing enough miners to completely cover a deposit and running a yellow belt from each one to an unpowered interstellar logistics station.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

quote:

Dear engineers,

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and we wish to extend our best wishes to all of you! Despite that, the journey towards the starry sea will continue, so don't forget to replenish and re-energize yourselves while awaiting our return!

As a going-on-holiday gift, we present to you our last update before Chinese New Year's eve! As promised a few days ago, Keybinding and Quick Upgrade functions are now launched in this patch. And guess what, we also brought you an extra present - the Chain Dismantle function!

We're taking a short break and will be out of the office for a few days to celebrate Chinese New Year before returning to bring you more anticipated and fancy game updates. After the holidays, we will begin work on delivering a multi-language patch. Stay tuned!

~Best wishes and Happy Chinese New Year~

[Version 0.6.16.5759]
Feature:

Quick Upgrade: You are able to upgrade the conveyor belt, sorter, and assembling machine by directly putting the new ones (cover/overlap/move) on the lower grade ones.
Chain Upgrade and Chain Dismantle: You are able to upgrade or dismantle a whole conveyor belt directly with this new function.
Keybinding: You are able to rebind hotkeys.
Add a hint message of pressing 'SHIFT' to accelerate while sailing.

Change:

We modified the planet generation to make it easier to start. From now on, there must be 6 iron and 6 copper beside Icarus's landing place.
We changed the saving process to relieve the memory pressure. The savedata will be written directly to the hard disk.

Balance:

Reduce the energy consumption of deceleration and steering in sail mode.

Bugfix:

Fixed a bug that the lights of the energy exchangers flash for no reason.
Fixed a bug where the arrow on the energy exchanger panel might be reversed.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Welp, time to unlimit the box making t3 belts and replace EVERYTHING. Also set up t3 assembler automation and unlimit t2...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'll be honest, keybinds is a bigger thing for me.

I ended up switching to ESDF movement for FF14, so being forced back to WASD after a year and a half really messes with me.

e: lol they don't let you unbind the E key fml

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Now I need to un muscle-memory the F keys and put those commonly used buttons somewhere more accessible.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
drat, I was really excited for the upgrade function but it only goes up one level at a time, so if you have a bunch of mk1 crap laying around you need to have mk2 stuff in your inventory otherwise it won't do it. There's no way to go mk1 straight to mk3 for sorters and conveyors. A minor annoyance I guess, I don't want to cart around a bunch of mk2 stuff but I will for now.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dr. Stab posted:

Now I need to un muscle-memory the F keys and put those commonly used buttons somewhere more accessible.

Update: This is not rebindable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

camera panning has to be a mouse button -.-

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Excellent update, glad to have the upgrade feature in for sure. Next I'm hoping they'll implement something like area dismantle and area upgrade.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Breaking news: Tiny dev team promises key features before their break for lunar new year. Actually delivers on promise.

Now I have a shitload of conveyor belts to replace. :thumbsup:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Wyld Karde posted:

Breaking news: Tiny dev team promises key features before their break for lunar new year. Actually delivers on promise.

Now I have a shitload of conveyor belts to replace. :thumbsup:

Except that one of the features is to edit keys which you can't do with multiple keys that people would really like to edit.
So far I hear E, F and mouse buttons are not rebindable.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

OgNar posted:

Except that one of the features is to edit keys which you can't do with multiple keys that people would really like to edit.
So far I hear E, F and mouse buttons are not rebindable.

I can also confirm that extra mouse buttons (Mouse 4, 5...) can't be used for most keys. RIP my dream of copy + paste being super convenient.

Anything is better than < and > though :psyduck:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So I'm getting a set of stuff made to get started on a new world for the first time, and I figured I might as well park myself by a wireless tower and save myself a bit of fuel while the replicator runs.

Turns out that for some odd reason, just standing around with the replicator running isn't enough to make the tower start charging me, so I had to empty out the fuel chamber for it to work.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kin posted:

I do not care about efficiency and I just slap down whatever as I go, and it’s been working out just fine for me. If I need more of an ore I just cover all the available space with miners and smelt whatever comes out. After that I just run around and see what’s not running at 100% and just slap in more intermediate production until I’m back to needing more ore. I’m about halfway through the green research techs and have about 20% of my Dyson sphere structure in place and filled with sails.

I understand that some players love to spreadsheet their efficiencies and I appreciate ya’ll, I really do, but I just want to chill out and slowly slide towards victory.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Manyorcas posted:

I can also confirm that extra mouse buttons (Mouse 4, 5...) can't be used for most keys. RIP my dream of copy + paste being super convenient.

Anything is better than < and > though :psyduck:

I don't suppose you can set game specific profiles with your mouse? That's what I do with my Logitech to get around these kinds of issues i.e. rebind the buttons themselves do be < > rather than rely on oftentimes spotty game implementation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kin posted:

So, for someone who doesn't care about super efficiency (me), if I just aim to build a 36 smelter/assembler block for every item I want to make I could probably set and forget in a very lazy way?
The problem with 36 (re: lazy) that I see is that the fastest belt can only deliver 30 per second.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
My method so far has been the shortage method. Am I having a shortage of something? Build more of it. Is there a shortage of the things that feed it? Build more of those. Repeat as necessary.

This did get me into a little bit of a pickle when I had very limited sulfuric acid and started running out of titanium bars, which cascaded into running out of deuterium fuel rods, which cascaded into running short on power, which cascaded into running short on everything. But I unloaded the deuterium rods from the mecha into my reactors and that jumped me enough that I cut off the nano and sent all the sulfuric acid to the titanium bar production until I got my sulfuric acid pump online and cycling.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

This did get me into a little bit of a pickle when I had very limited sulfuric acid and started running out of titanium bars, which cascaded into running out of deuterium fuel rods, which cascaded into running short on power, which cascaded into running short on everything. But I unloaded the deuterium rods from the mecha into my reactors and that jumped me enough that I cut off the nano and sent all the sulfuric acid to the titanium bar production until I got my sulfuric acid pump online and cycling.

This was also my experience, pretty much to the T. Sulfur seems to be the limiting factor in the mid-game. Then you get some warp transport going and it's no longer an issue.

Part of me would appreciate some more limiting factors in the mid- to late- game to puzzle through and solve, but at the end of the day I think I'm happy to go with what the game has to offer. Build, than build some more, and so on. It matches your stated end goal (this feels like what making a dyson sphere would feel like), and it makes for a nice podcast or baby-cradling background activity. And it sure looks purdy.

(first game, lucky three moon seed!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
There aren't any seeds with sulfuric acid oceans in the starting system, are there?