Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Khanstant posted:

whos your favourite game ux designer?

my vote is for whoever did it on persona 4, i did not enjoy my time in that game but the pause menu n poo poo was pretty appealing

13 sentinels

metroid prime 2 with its weird spatial menus

yggdra union and riviera the promised land

the actual menus aren't anything special but I've always liked how yes/no prompts in old camelot games were illustrated by little nodding/shaking heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Khanstant posted:

my vote is for whoever did it on persona 4, i did not enjoy my time in that game but the pause menu n poo poo was pretty appealing

I like Sakurai's wife because it paints a pretty picture in my head of a husband a wife working together on a cool game

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Khanstant posted:

Whoever made those 3D rotate menus for Metroid Prime 2. That blew my mind the first time I used them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ometeotl posted:

Whoever made those 3D rotate menus for Metroid Prime 2. That blew my mind the first time I used them.

is it something like Prey's favorites menu? It's circular until you fill it up, at which point it becomes spiral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXHDTKYFzc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

Whoever did the spiral keyboard in Beyond Good and Evil

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Dead Space’s UI is really slick, but requires a controller and doesn’t really work with WASD+mouse

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rinkles posted:

is it something like Prey's favorites menu? It's circular until you fill it up, at which point it becomes spiral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXHDTKYFzc

Nope, they're spherical, not circular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv6rq5bB2Bs&t=218s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think i remember a ps1 game doing something similar

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lot of spiral fans here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there anything about switching from looking at a 60Hz LCD to a 144Hz LCD on a rapid basis that might provoke nausea

Maybe it's just all the eye shifting and head turning

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Khanstant posted:

I like in mario maker when you select something the noise matches the background music.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s correct?

code:
Prompt
>OK<   Cancel
code:
Prompt
OK   >Cancel<
code:
Prompt
Cancel   >OK<
code:
Prompt
>Cancel<   OK

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of OoT, not a fan of the “would you like me to repeat what I just said” prompt

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the cursor to select your option shouldnt appear automatically. either an initial button press or dpad/control stick movement should be what makes it appear and then a second button press to actually confirm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there anything about switching from looking at a 60Hz LCD to a 144Hz LCD on a rapid basis that might provoke nausea

Maybe it's just all the eye shifting and head turning

I had constant headaches when I started using mine (LG GL2783A), but in my case it might have had to do with the display tech (NanoIPS) rather than the refresh rate (I don't know for sure). I found a lot of reports of people with similar issues (e.g., reading being uncomfortable). switching to sRGB helped, but not entirely.

I ended up returning it, partly because of the eye issues, partly because dark scenes were washed out and grey.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sharrrk posted:

the cursor to select your option shouldnt appear automatically. either an initial button press or dpad/control stick movement should be what makes it appear and then a second button press to actually confirm

hold rather than press to confirm can be a pretty elegant alternative solution

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lot of spiral fans here

yeah gurren lagann rules

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of OoT, not a fan of the “would you like me to repeat what I just said” prompt

yeah nobody likes that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Once the pandemic is over, I need every games-adjacent individual to gather in a single conference room and decide, with finality, what’s the confirm button, the right face button or the bottom face button

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sharrrk posted:

Ok let’s workshop this

Assuming
code:
Prompt
OK    Cancel
The user hits Right. Where does the cursor go

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Ok let’s workshop this

Assuming
code:
Prompt
OK    Cancel

Cancel obviously

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Once the pandemic is over, I need every games-adjacent individual to gather in a single conference room and decide, with finality, what’s the confirm button, the right face button or the bottom face button

takes me about an hour to adjust each time. i'm fine with either, but as a mostly playstation user atm, i'm most accustomed to bottom.

(why are they called face buttons?)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like right face for confirm

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Cancel obviously

this

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

okay should be on the left (probably cause it's the windows convention?)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Ok let’s workshop this

Assuming
code:
Prompt
OK    Cancel

It's a pointer cursor and to choose you have to hold down the button as a circle is filled.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly most of my gaming power is in my fingers, not my brain. The simple act of switching what kind of controller I use for a game I've played a lot of can wreck me. My fingers know which button is confirm solely from the controller resting in them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

do japanese playstation games still do the circle to confirm x to cancel thing or did we bully that out of them

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

microsoft ruined everything when they flipped nintendo's abxy button placement for their controller

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly most of my gaming power is in my fingers, not my brain. The simple act of switching what kind of controller I use for a game I've played a lot of can wreck me. My fingers know which button is confirm solely from the controller resting in them.

shows how much knowledge is stored outside the conscious. ask me how to do X, and it might take me a second or two (or more) to remember, but with a gamepad in hand that connection becomes instinctive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sharrrk posted:

do japanese playstation games still do the circle to confirm x to cancel thing or did we bully that out of them

PS5 is when they made the switch, iinm

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I switched from playing oot rando on emulator with a dual shock to playing on a hacked wii with a gamecube controller recently and while the advantages are immediate I'm screwing up extremely basic tasks often as I redevelop my muscle memory

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I switched from playing oot rando on emulator with a dual shock to playing on a hacked wii with a gamecube controller recently and while the advantages are immediate I'm screwing up extremely basic tasks often as I redevelop my muscle memory

what are the advantages?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you confirm using the right face button are you even a real gamer? :thunkher:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

what are the advantages?

Oot has a lot of tech reliant on hitting exact cardinals on the analog stick and gamecube controllers have an octagonal gate

Playing on Wii also has a lot less lag but if that was the only reason I wouldn't have switched

An N64 controller would be even better for having real C buttons but they don't make those anymore and 3rd party is always a crapshoot

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember, of the 30 or so North American PS2 games I owned, only mgs2 had the confirm button be circle... and that’s when I knew, Kojima was a trickster god / genius of the arts / unlikable dweeb...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rarity posted:

If you confirm using the right face button are you even a real gamer? :thunkher:

idk how much of this is habit/how much it's down to the button heights, but i'm trying to image confirming with B on a gameboy, and it just feels completely wrong

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 9, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

An N64 controller would be even better for having real C buttons but they don't make those anymore and 3rd party is always a crapshoot

get to it, 8bitdo. also make some cheap dualshock 2s/adapters while you're at it, tyvm

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the different placements of ABXY between xbox controllers and switch controllers and playing monster hunter just a short while beforehand was probably a major cause of my frustrations with breath of the wild's controls

my brain when i want to just swing my loving sword: "ok so in dark souls attack button is left shoulder, but in monster hunter it's top face button, which is Y on xbox but X on switch and X is for items but in dark souls that's where Y is on switch and now i have somehow thrown my weapon uselessly at the enemy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ugh, the controls in MM Legends will take some getting used to. Early days of 3D games, I guess.

But visually it's aged quite gracefully