Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

Seeing a guy hit a single and it’s actually an out because the third base man is in short right field is stupid and boring

Seeing a guy hit into the shift time and time again is laughable and he deserves to get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t understand anyone of you !!! Feh!!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yadi and Cards close to deal, Rosenthal has it.

Yup

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1358964254334980096

The only news I waned this year, but Arenado was nice "holy poo poo," too

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This guy gets it.

I enjoy dingers as much as the next guy. But this is getting out of hand.

Also yes, gently caress strikeouts.

Steals and hit and runs are awesome. So is stringing together a bunch of hits in a row instead of just waiting for one of your bombers to hit a 3-run homer.

Doesn't a bomber hitting a three run homer require stringing together a few hits beforehand?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

General Bullshit posted:

Runner on second in extras makes no sense to me. Extra inning games don't go very long, the few that do are really funny and rare, maybe a handful a season out of thousands of games.

I'm convinced it's a change being pushed by networks who are fed up with having to hedge their bets so much with scheduled programing after an MLB game because of the small risk that a game goes 12 or 15 or 20 innings.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Sydin posted:

I'm convinced it's a change being pushed by networks who are fed up with having to hedge their bets so much with scheduled programing after an MLB game because of the small risk that a game goes 12 or 15 or 20 innings.

God that would drive me bonkers but is probably 100% the reason why.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Chief McHeath posted:

Doesn't a bomber hitting a three run homer require stringing together a few hits beforehand?

No, it’s often two walks and a pop fly homer

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If it's legal to hit a ball in a place it should be legal to put a guy there to catch it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"ban the shift" is a dumb old man solution

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

This is exactly it, also gently caress rain delays while we’re at it.

I too, love dingers as much as any red blooded American male but I’m ok with deadening the ball to the early 2010’s level(I remember Theo talking about drafting Bryant and Schwarber because power was seen as at a premium at the time) or even lowering the mound again since the three true outcomes are quickly becoming the only outcomes.

BRB, there might be some kids on my lawn.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

GalacticAcid posted:

"ban the shift" is a dumb old man solution

The alternative is either accepting things as they are or waiting an indeterminate amount of time for hitters to change their approach

If people prefer an older style of baseball aesthetically, then I'm all for quick-and-dirty solutions to encourage that style of play. Nobody actively likes watching the shift, so who cares about legislating it out of existence? Same with banning endless pitching changes to improve pace and offense.

I personally think it's nuts that people are anti-dinger, though. If I get a menu of rule changes for baseball I think I'd go with no shifts, three-batter minimum, AL DH only, juiced ball, smaller strike zone, and no extra-inning pinch runner. Basically I want a wacky sport that maximizes the potential for cool poo poo while minimizing the feeling that I'm just watching a chain of Mathematically Optimal Decisions for three hours

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Homeruns are cool but they no longer feel special., it's just how games are won these days. The game just feels less nuanced when every team is built around trying to hit the ball out of the park, well rounded hitters have less value and that's a shame.

Banning the shift is silly. I think de-juicing the ball is the right move, I just hope MLB actually does it this time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The solution I like the best is just deadening the ball, or else changing the strike zone. The rubber is 10” high now, seems like you’d have to lower it considerably to have an impact there.

If you really think about moving the mound back a couple of feet, wouldn’t this also mean also changing the dimensions of the diamond itself? Or do you just live with the fact that the rubber is three feet closer to 2nd now, making pickoff throws to that base easier? I dunno, I don’t think any of us will live to see the mound moved. Lowered, yeah maybe. Not moved.

Also I wanted to add that stubbornly continuing to hit the ball into the shift, is exactly what Williams did.

He writes about hitting to the opposite field in The Science of Hitting but I have wondered forever now if it was something he could actually do intentionally. As strange as it sounds, while I consider him perhaps the greatest hitter of all time, I have my doubts that he could.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Deadening the ball so we have more balls in play is very strange to me. Lowering the home run rate while maintaining the strikeout rate is not going to make the game more interesting. And I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen.

I'm not in favor of deadening the ball unless it is in addition to another change. Cracking down on foreign substances. Lowering the mound. Moving the mound. Tightening the zone. Whatever. But messing with the ball alone isn't enough imo.

Edit: also, no casual fan i know has complained about homeruns. Some have complained about strikeouts. But not homeruns.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 9, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

alpha_destroy posted:

Deadening the ball so we have more balls in play is very strange to me. Lowering the game run rate while maintaining the strikeout rate is not going to make the game more interesting. And I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen.

I'm not in favor of deadening the ball unless it is in addition to another change. Cracking down on foreign substances. Lowering the mound. Moving the mound. Tightening the zone. Whatever. But messing with the ball alone isn't enough imo.

Edit: also, no casual fan i know has complained about homeruns. Some have complained about strikeouts. But not homeruns.

"Solution in search of a problem" is a pretty good descriptor of just about every rule change that Rob Manfred has proposed or imposed.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Casuals don’t know what they want, the Please Like My Sport fretting over their reaction to changes is counterproductive

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If it's legal to hit a ball in a place it should be legal to put a guy there to catch it.

Banning the shift would be as asinine as when zone defense was banned in the NBA.

GalacticAcid posted:

Casuals don’t know what they want, the Please Like My Sport fretting over their reaction to changes is counterproductive

And the game doesn't get any better when you add more rules that have to be explained.

xbilkis posted:

The alternative is either accepting things as they are or waiting an indeterminate amount of time for hitters to change their approach

If people prefer an older style of baseball aesthetically, then I'm all for quick-and-dirty solutions to encourage that style of play. Nobody actively likes watching the shift, so who cares about legislating it out of existence? Same with banning endless pitching changes to improve pace and offense.

I personally think it's nuts that people are anti-dinger, though. If I get a menu of rule changes for baseball I think I'd go with no shifts, three-batter minimum, AL DH only, juiced ball, smaller strike zone, and no extra-inning pinch runner. Basically I want a wacky sport that maximizes the potential for cool poo poo while minimizing the feeling that I'm just watching a chain of Mathematically Optimal Decisions for three hours

Lower the fielders allowed to 8. Universal dh with the pitcher hitting to maintain a 9 man lineup.

BOOM I JUST FIXED EVERYTHING! YOU'RE WELCOME
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 9, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reading Wikipedia the nhl made lots of changes to deal with the neutral zone trap as well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The nba allowed zone but it also has defensive three second rules for the paint which pretty much makes zone ... not as optimal

They just changed the rules a bit to still effectively ban zones but with an easier and more straightforward call

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 9, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the nba and the nhl are is smart, which is why they made rule changes to encourage and promote cool and exciting offense. the mlb is stupid, which is why it will change the rules to make the game more tedious and frustrating.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Basketball and hockey are different sports than baseball, get over it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/DAVIDprice24/status/1359161364313501702

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Spring Training can't get here fast enough.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Any power hitters that signed should be pissed because now their skills are more valuable, if indeed the ball is really deadened.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

well rounded hitters have less value and that's a shame.

Well-rounded hitters don't have less value though.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Any power hitters that signed should be pissed because now their skills are more valuable, if indeed the ball is really deadened.

Or pitchers who gave up too many dingers before getting paid, ya.

Players definitely made/lost money based on that ball

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

PECOTA projections out. Big movers are the Mets, Toronto threatening Tampa, and Colorado being worse than Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Also grats to wildcard winners the Cubs.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
First glance I’d bet the over on CWS and ATL, under on MIL and LAA

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I guess PECOTA's just gonna keep putting the Braves 4th in the NL East till it happens.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

PECOTA projections out. Big movers are the Mets, Toronto threatening Tampa, and Colorado being worse than Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

I think this is the first year PECOTA hasn't hated the Cubs In a while and so I'm immediately suspicious

I wonder how much Kolten Wong would move the Cubs up in the standings if they had signed him instead of Milwaukee?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 9, 2021

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like as newer players come into the league knowing there's a shift and they absolutely need to beat it in order to have a productive career will sort out the issue a bit. You're already seeing camps for players for launch angle, I'm sure those camps can teach them to hit the ball to the opposite field.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

First glance I’d bet the over on CWS and ATL, under on MIL and LAA

I'd also take the over on Miami, TB and TOR

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

jfc 103 win projection has to be close to a pecota record

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I'll take the under on the Yankees winning the east by 11 games.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'd take the under on NYM because :mets: and also because ~96 wins in a division projected to have four >.500 teams (and an underrated Miami squad) would be difficult

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/bryanhoch/status/1359183177928093696?s=21

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Crazy that the best hitters in the world just can’t hit the ball to the opposite field. Well nevertheless I assume they can just practice it

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
LOL PECOTA thinks the Cubs will be above .500 this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I think this is the first year PECOTA hasn't hated the Cubs In a while and so I'm immediately suspicious

I wonder how much Kolten Wong would move the Cubs up in the standings if they had signed him instead of Milwaukee?

Hasn't PECOTA been broken ever since Silver left BP and founded FiveThirtyEight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

"automatic runner in extra innings" is not a health and safety protocol hth

Also I know this is unpopular but 7 inning games are bullshit, doubleheader or not