Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo gently caress me the one time in the last like 4 weeks I'm not sitting at my computer with the best buy window open and they do a card drop :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fknlo posted:

BB drop live

I tried.

I failed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Holy poo poo I got to the payment and address confirmation screen before being told it was sold out this time, loving infuriating

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress me the one time in the last like 4 weeks I'm not sitting at my computer with the best buy window open and they do a card drop :suicide:

I don't think it would have mattered.

Lockback posted:

I tried.

I failed.

I'm finally at the point where I've said gently caress it and I'll grab a 3090. Still nothing. The FE gave me a yellow button but that just took me back to the greyed out please wait button :negative:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Best buy emailed me that they finally have my 3080!

They didn't of course let me reserve it with cash in any way shape or form so now a bot has another $2000 card to sell.

I don't care if you have to tell me you wont have my GPU until 2022 you fucks because it pretty clear that is what is going to happen anyway.

Ugh, common crypto hurry up and loving bubble pop.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I didn't hear the atr audio cue because lol discord

oh well gz to everybody who got one

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

I don't think it would have mattered.

I'm finally at the point where I've said gently caress it and I'll grab a 3090. Still nothing. The FE gave me a yellow button but that just took me back to the greyed out please wait button :negative:

Production seems to be worse now tbh... The average price on ebay is climbing, not falling.

Since I need 2 cards for our 2 rigs or its pointless I'm giving up for the year.

I'm done getting disappointed, I'm just ignoring all PC games and playing through a bunch of final fantasy games.

Something is deeply wrong if ebay prices are climbing 5 months after your product is released.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This poo poo is loving embarrassing for every person and entity in the whole chain, jesus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They might still be trickling out?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Production seems to be worse now tbh... The average price on ebay is climbing, not falling.

Since I need 2 cards for our 2 rigs or its pointless I'm giving up for the year.

I'm done getting disappointed, I'm just ignoring all PC games and playing through a bunch of final fantasy games.

Something is deeply wrong if ebay prices are climbing 5 months after your product is released.

Turns out capitalism reducing literally every company to just in time supply chains has some pretty intense negative impacts when literally anything disrupts the supply chain.

Doesn't even have to be a global pandemic, wasn't it 5 years ago that hard drives were completely screwed because of the insane flooding in SE Asia?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fknlo posted:

They definitely still are, shockingly I was able to click the button for an FE

I actually bought a custom prebuilt thing awhile back though that I'm waiting on, so I don't wanna take someone else's stock even if I could get through

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fknlo posted:

Yup I'm watching two Please Wait dialogues, which will surely turn to orders for cards they can't ship to my US friends :)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

1400 Canadian Dollars for a 3070 on Amazon now. This market is completely hosed.
And this is why I wound up caving and am now out $1950 for a RTX 3090. In this kind of madness, someone would actually be interested in my 1080 Ti hybrid now if I sold it. I'm seeing it going for $600+ on Ebay and it doesn't make sense.

I feel like a complete goddamn loser and a lucky bastard at the same time. I didn't know such a feeling was possible until now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chairman Xi is gonna have to solve this with autarchic GPU production lines

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chairman Xi is gonna have to solve this with autarchic GPU production lines

Melt down scrap metal and forge pig GPUs in your backyard semiconductor hubs!

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Oregon/Sw Washington people: I have a 3070 Tuf on order at bestbuy from this mornings drop. My coworker doesn't want this after asking me to get him a card. I'll let any of you local people that are going to USE this card and not attempt to resell have it at msrp. I can cancel this order, so its not a huge deal if no one wants it. I'm done getting people cards.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Yup I'm watching two Please Wait dialogues, which will surely turn to orders for cards they can't ship to my US friends :)

Epilogue: They turned back into "add to cart" buttons that did nothing when clicked. RIP me.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

flakeloaf posted:

Epilogue: They turned back into "add to cart" buttons that did nothing when clicked. RIP me.

This is what happened to me, too.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Fauxtool posted:

imagine if the new 30xx laptops become widely available and using them as an external gpu to your pc becomes the only way to get a 3080.
j/k miners want all the laptops too.
you will own nothing and like it

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1359192845459087361

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

humanity is so dumb

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

spunkshui posted:

It's Lunar New Year coming up, so a lot of factories are going to be closing for at least a week. I expect some people are jacking up their prices knowing nothing new is going to hit the market in that time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I didn't manage to snag anything today either and it looks like a lot of the ATR drop discord didn't get anything either.

I'm sure lower inventory is part of it, other retailers are reporting that shipments are down recently too, but I also wonder whether the sneakernet bots have started to figure out best buy's drop system and be able to exploit it to get more of the cards. it's really only a matter of time, it's ultimately all a stalling tactic, you can't prevent a sybil attack without some kind of external authentication mechanism to guarantee user uniqueness, eventually botters will figure out that the system works on IP uniqueness or geographic uniqueness or whatever and once you figure that out then they'll come up with a mechanism that lets them pretend they're actually 500 users and suck up all the inventory. Eventually they will even come up with some client that lets them pretend to be a real web browser but actually be a bot that just works on the http requests and picks off the async responses and works faster than a human or even a bot with a selenium client ever could.

the only defense against bots is ultimately to keep changing the flow up enough that the bot keeps breaking. There is no technical mechanism that can defeat bots for an unlimited period of time, licenses for these bots are thousands of dollars each so there are hundreds of thousands of dollars per month flowing to the authors of these bots to keep them updated.

but yeah it's looking like december and early january was the best time to buy a card after all, there was a definite bump in volume and it was relatively easy to get cards back then. It just wasn't enough to fully satisfy demand.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I could sell an R9 280x and a GTX 1060 3GB and make a startling amount of money compared to what they were worth six months ago, but I refuse. If one of my zippier cards abruptly died, I’d be hosed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Seems the way to handle 'pick-up only' policies is to place orders you know you can't pick up, and then cancel them with a bit of warning for someone who can.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Canna Happy posted:

Oregon/Sw Washington people: I have a 3070 Tuf on order at bestbuy from this mornings drop. My coworker doesn't want this after asking me to get him a card. I'll let any of you local people that are going to USE this card and not attempt to resell have it at msrp. I can cancel this order, so its not a huge deal if no one wants it. I'm done getting people cards.

how much is it?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

change my name posted:

Holy poo poo I got to the payment and address confirmation screen before being told it was sold out this time, loving infuriating

Same thing happened to me, at the "place order" button, three times, once for a 3090, twice for a 3080.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

gently caress crypto and gently caress scalpers loving fucks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Canna Happy posted:

I'll take it if no one else wants it but you'll need to ship it to Europe

E: gently caress, sniped even on SA

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Canna Happy posted:

I'll take it and promise to use it and not resell it. But I'm in Texas so idk if you want to mess with shipping.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

inferis posted:

how much is it?

:10bux: x 65

John DiFool posted:

I'll take it and promise to use it and not resell it. But I'm in Texas so idk if you want to mess with shipping.

Ehhh...maybe. Let me see if anyone local wants it first. You'd have to cover fees + shipping, but its still a decent deal since we don't have sales tax in Oregon.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Canna Happy posted:

Ehhh...maybe. Let me see if anyone local wants it first. You'd have to cover fees + shipping, but its still a decent deal since we don't have sales tax in Oregon.

On second thought maybe I don’t need to spend that much money on a video card right now, never had the chance to consider it really because they weren’t available anyway.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Canna Happy posted:

I'm in Portland and interested! Sending a PM

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

And this is why I wound up caving and am now out $1950 for a RTX 3090. In this kind of madness, someone would actually be interested in my 1080 Ti hybrid now if I sold it. I'm seeing it going for $600+ on Ebay and it doesn't make sense.

I feel like a complete goddamn loser and a lucky bastard at the same time. I didn't know such a feeling was possible until now.

I feel the same way too. I got my 3070 just as the traiffs came into place but I was still excited I got it for only 150 dollars over MSRP. I shouldn't feel lucky for paying 150 dollars over retail price. My girlfriend also beat my pullup personal best record the day I ordered it too.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
At this rate a 3070 mining @ 50% power (TDP?) with something like NiceHash for even just a month will cover the tariff price increases (including electricity costs). May as well do it while crypto is soaring to make up for the lovely prices even if you initially bought solely for gaming.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sold my 1080ti and approx ~2 year old corsair to go with it for my full asking price of $650 and guy was ecstatic to get it. I probably could have listed it for a bit more but I am cool with it.

It was going to be put in the Mrs. Slidebites PC (she gets my hand-me-downs) but her GTX780 will have to last a little longer yet... her Rise of Nations just rocks with it anyhow.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splinter posted:

At this rate a 3070 mining @ 50% power (TDP?) with something like NiceHash for even just a month will cover the tariff price increases (including electricity costs). May as well do it while crypto is soaring to make up for the lovely prices even if you initially bought solely for gaming.

is that the current easy mode settings for mining, just drop the power slider?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I feel like I'm wasting my 3080 by not mining in my free time.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
we are so loving doomed as a species

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bus hustler posted:

we are so loving doomed as a species

https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/1359183875059179524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mA posted:

I feel like I'm wasting my 3080 by not mining in my free time.

if you live where its cold right now its almost justifiable as heating.