Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whybird posted:

If your GM can't come up with ways that pushing a big, heavy ball of gold through a trap-filled dungeon leads to Wile E. Coyote-style hijinks then they're really not trying hard enough.

If I was DMing I would allow the players to create their giant magic gold ball, but would have it roll out of control and crush the local village they were saving from the dragon.

"Who knew the dragon had one final trap to spring."
"Yes. The dragon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A gold coin was originally 1/50th of a pound in weight and a pound of gold coins was enough to buy 2500' of rope,

OK I get that we're discussing board games here but we didn't all play Dungeons & Dragons so stick with non-fantasy units, TIA.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK I get that we're discussing board games here but we didn't all play Dungeons & Dragons so stick with non-fantasy units, TIA.
Coins are like 50g per gp, 50gpgp.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zoig posted:

I think I recall tomb of horrors has big adamantine doors too, and some people "beat" the adventure by successfully taking the doors and going home, so I don't blame em for tryin.

In the 3.5 edition they replaced it with a steel door (with some magical enchantments) and included a note that it was too expensive for the demons to keep replacing the adamantine door.

Also, just give the players a bag of holding so even the pedants don't need to care about the coins.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Feb 9, 2021

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My group once had a problem of "lots of loot on one side of 40 ft gorge", which resulted in the solution 'throw it across' which spurred an argument of if you could throw heavy gold that far.

It was just after Halloween so the argument was resolved by us hurling pumpkins across the 4-lane road we lived on, to the bafflement of some neighbors

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A gold coin was originally 1/50th of a pound in weight and a pound of gold coins was enough to buy 2500' of rope, a suit of plate armour, a light horse and half a mule, or 10 buds of garlic.

Coins were big and not worth that much.

Barley 2 copper
Ale 1 copper
Cloth 1 copper
Lard 2 copper
Garlic 1 gold
Salt fish 2 copper

please help me with my budget my family is dying.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Evilreaver posted:

My group once had a problem of "lots of loot on one side of 40 ft gorge", which resulted in the solution 'throw it across' which spurred an argument of if you could throw heavy gold that far.

It was just after Halloween so the argument was resolved by us hurling pumpkins across the 4-lane road we lived on, to the bafflement of some neighbors

You should have built a bridge out of tabletop gaming derails, because they're incredibly long and apparently nothing can break them.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You should have built a bridge out of tabletop gaming derails, because they're incredibly long and apparently nothing can break them.

Idk Smashing Pumpkins seems like a perfectly good way of settling the discussion, didn’t they have a song about geeks or nerds or whatever?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In the vague hope of either stopping the derail or reviving an old thread, here's the dumb things you can do with roleplaying game systems.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Perhaps after the bridge is built you can get over it :coal:

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

axolotl farmer posted:

Barley 2 copper
Ale 1 copper
Cloth 1 copper
Lard 2 copper
Garlic 1 gold
Salt fish 2 copper

please help me with my budget my family is dying.

Spend less on garlic.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

poonchasta posted:

Spend less on garlic.

No.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IMO garlic deserves its high value as it helps make the most rotten foods palatable.

Also the warding off of vampires thing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in one of the earlier editions, either 2e or the Menzer red box set, coins were 10 to a pound.

so just under an ounce and a half troy, currently worth nearly $2800 US, could buy you a mug of ale.

one of our first house rules was to ignore this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The more current system, where most people supposedly live off fractions of gold pieces, but the adventuring economy is basically a bunch of more actively murderous jeff bezos' running around spending the GDP of entire cities on magic items, is just as daft.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My verisimilitude is only satisfied if we spend at least two sessions on elaborate portage style logistics where we construct rope bridges, sleds, rafts, and haggle (with no less than 6 intimidate/diplomacy/seduce/barter/streetwise checks) with the local bugman population over their requested payment of 50silver for three hours.

Then my DM painstakingly models inflation so that we can track the injection of more liquidity and Capital into a local economy, followed by rolling on the material conditions table to see if the hyper inflation bubble caused a peasant rebellion or a local merchant becomes a warlord.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

space uncle posted:

My verisimilitude is only satisfied if we spend at least two sessions on elaborate portage style logistics where we construct rope bridges, sleds, rafts, and haggle (with no less than 6 intimidate/diplomacy/seduce/barter/streetwise checks) with the local bugman population over their requested payment of 50silver for three hours.

Then my DM painstakingly models inflation so that we can track the injection of more liquidity and Capital into a local economy, followed by rolling on the material conditions table to see if the hyper inflation bubble caused a peasant rebellion or a local merchant becomes a warlord.
Have you considered smuggling mustard

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

space uncle posted:

Call me

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

IMO garlic deserves its high value as it helps make the most rotten foods palatable.

Also the warding off of vampires thing.

I hate garlic and I'm allergic to it, so I never understood its use.

space uncle posted:

You laugh but the best session I ever DM'ed over was when my players stumbled into a cloud giant floating fortress that was actually a bank presided over by some techbro giant who had invented something like a fantasy version of the blockchain. After extremely corporate negotiations, my players deposited a fortune totalling nearly 16K gp (except the dwarf with the gambling addiction, which, yes, kind of ironic) only to find out that their keys to access their vaults didn't work long after the cloud fortress and the giant had vanished. So basically it was a highway robbery in a very white-collar way.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I once spent hours painstakingly building a Rogue Chef in Pathfinder (because I'd been reading Dungeon Delicious), taking some background or whatever that started me off with an inheritance so I could afford to stock up a food truck wagon from the extensive list of foodstuffs.

Then the game got canceled because someone moved

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's a chainblock?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's a chainblock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0&t=26s

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FFT posted:

I once spent hours painstakingly building a Rogue Chef in Pathfinder (because I'd been reading Dungeon Delicious), taking some background or whatever that started me off with an inheritance so I could afford to stock up a food truck wagon from the extensive list of foodstuffs.

Then the game got canceled because someone moved

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's a chainblock?

sounds like you don't know anything about Minecraft, man

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jeza posted:

sounds like you don't know anything about Minecraft, man

I know it sucks.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's a chainblock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipmqNbQn3s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wow I can't believe that happended.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I hate garlic and I'm allergic to it, so I never understood its use.

Found the vampire. :drac:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

space uncle posted:

You joke but there was a dude in Tradgames who ran with a group that would get pissed and argue with him if the kobolds in a dungeon didn't have a functioning, thought out economy, with revenue sources and outflow and pay rates for different types of kobolds. I played a lot of dnd with some extremely pedantic nerds and i still can't even imagine this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the point of interacting with kobolds if not to disrupt their economy and build some of them into Randian supermen while others languish in poverty that you created? What ho, Dungeon Master?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would help the kobolds escape the cycles of poverty, and help them overthrow their capitalist masters, eventually introducing full communism to the realm.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wow I can't believe that happended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpB83chNBQc

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

DMs should start phasing in rare gems in place of gold coins as the value of loot increases. this way the murderhobos can continue slaying innocents unencumbered

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1359207169091108864?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(judge gets mad at me) Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

....I’m ready to move forward

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty good.

Also lol at the prohibited recording screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
A bit late to the party about coins but, iirc, 3.5 Edition(might be 4th) has a rule for impractical treasure finds like "you pay 10% - 15% of the loot to be carried and stored for you and it happens in the background" which was a good compromise I think.