Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

They must’ve been shooting that approach to alternate minimums.

I was wondering if it's camera perspective or if the wing tip really is that low. Otherwise they went around eventually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Charles posted:

I was wondering if it's camera perspective or if the wing tip really is that low. Otherwise they went around eventually!

I was giving the plane the benefit of the perspective doubt until the camera could see the runway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

I was giving the plane the benefit of the perspective doubt until the camera could see the runway

Yeah they appear to be descending there still.

If you’re going to give a benefit of the doubt I’m curious about the weather here. There appears to be a lot of wind, I wonder if that was a downburst or something.

Not that that’s really a benefit of the doubt too much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hi my name is Jerry, and I don’t go around till I can read the upside down numbers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Hi my name is Jerry, and I don’t go around till I can read the upside down numbers.

Hi I'm Jerry Wagner and this is Jackass

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is what happens when you don't turn your personal electronics off, passenger.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is what happens when you talk to other passengers, passenger.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Literally passenger footage of me flying MSFS.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"oh poo poo, right, i'm not in the sim right now"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

stealie72 posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Wind, Sand, and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (the author of the little prince) is about his time as a French Air Mail pilot in that time frame and is a great read.

Oh hell yes, that’s perfect. Thanks!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh hell yes, that’s perfect. Thanks!
Since your question jarred my mind, will probably give it a re-read soon, possibly while listening to some Tinariwen to get that real north african desert feel

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The whirly bird lusts for blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCj5Yhg60UU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That one didn't bite off more than it could chew, this one did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyYauh-wyCs

No clear clips of it, but same principle, different outcome. Injuries, but no deaths. Happened quite close to me, I heard the sound.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lol at old farty Buff

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Hey, I have a friend who is flying all the routes from The Amazing Race in MS Flight Simulator, and he needs to answer questions like "What planes did South African Airlines fly from JFK to Johannesburg in 2001?".

I figure, if this thread can't drop any links for that problem, the resources don't exist.

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008

Volkova III posted:

Hey, I have a friend who is flying all the routes from The Amazing Race in MS Flight Simulator, and he needs to answer questions like "What planes did South African Airlines fly from JFK to Johannesburg in 2001?".

I figure, if this thread can't drop any links for that problem, the resources don't exist.

Wikipedia usually has a lot of historical fleet information on airlines and routes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Airways#Historical_fleet

You can also look for pictures on airliners.net:
https://www.airliners.net/search?ai...&display=detail

Looking at that, there are only 747-444 / 344s at JFK in the early 2000s in the photo database. My other guess for SAA widebodies at JFK would be a A340/A330, but doesn't look like there were any photographed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When I think of South Africa I think of the 747SP.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Have a big imgur of military aircraft photos. Just scrolling through it, he's really fond of full loadout photos. Here's Canada with the 80s startfighters:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Low level snake-eye delivery from a loving F-104 is one of the most Cold War things imaginable.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Volkova III posted:

After he works out how to save Colin & Christie's 11th leg is he going to go back in time to help them?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Jeez all that care in laying everything out, including the V shape of the ammo belts perfectly centered on the pavement joint, but the nose has to be 2 inches off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am assuming the RCAF judged AAMs too precious and delicate to gently caress about with in a loadout pic because they only got x and will only ever get x so FOR GOD’S SAKE DON’T BREAK ANY MORE after Cpl Gord dropped a couple AIM-9s.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Tag yourself. I'm the giant AGM in the center.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Ok, now I really need to digitize all of my dads negatives from his time with CF-104s in Germany. I have seen this picture and many others just like it in photo albums my entire childhood.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Is that an AGM or targeting pod?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Ok, now I really need to digitize all of my dads negatives from his time with CF-104s in Germany. I have seen this picture and many others just like it in photo albums my entire childhood.

He probably flew with my dad's cousin! Not a big group.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

AGM? I think you'll find Starfighters are surface-launched

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Red bullet #17 from the left.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

NightGyr posted:

Is that an AGM or targeting pod?

I think the joke is that the F-104 is the AGM.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Murgos posted:

I think the joke is that the F-104 is the AGM.

Phy posted:

AGM? I think you'll find Starfighters are surface-launched

This is brilliant.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Red bullet #17 from the left.

DAMNIT

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Xakura posted:

At some point techbros are going to realise multirotors are hugely inefficient. Surely.

I just saw this electric helicopter that to my untrained eyes looks less stupid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-BV-6dKvg
Still multi rotor but only in the tail.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Invalido posted:

I just saw this electric helicopter that to my untrained eyes looks less stupid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-BV-6dKvg
Still multi rotor but only in the tail.

Nice!!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, boys, can I just say "don't kinkshame:"

Notes

Can we get some more Russians in the house, the Tu-160 must be epic

Good god, the Crusader is tiny. A Sparrow looks like a Harpoon

I'm guessing the yellow and black munitions are dummies?

Speaking of tiny, the A-4 is one of several aircraft here basically solid munition on the underside

Air

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 9, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The A-4 is more ordinance than plane :eyepop:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Hell yeah, that's a good post

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

eggyolk posted:

Hell yeah, that's a good post
:emptyquote:

My favorite is the one where they have the bullets standing straight up:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I just love this ducking plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

The A-4 is more ordinance than plane :eyepop:

Every pound for air-to-ground.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 9, 2021