Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sunswipe posted:

I disagree. I'd have loved an ending where you do a Captain Kirk and point out the illogic of the machines' actions. They're supposed to be preserving species, but they're only preserving some genetic code while wiping out all traces of the culture that is the real legacy of a species. Then you can add in the examples of why synthetic/non-synthetic war isn't inevitable, and the computer explodes in a cloud of logic.

Sure if they actually leaned into it they could make it something worth doing like the Fallout 1 ending. But if they don't actually lean into it it's just dumb. Imagine Fallout 1 without the option to talk the master out of his plan so he's there telling you all this stuff and then you're like well that's cool and all but I think your idea is dumb time to die. It would have been better off just having the end dude be a big mutant who just hated humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

But due to a bug, when you encountered him again in a later title, he would always act as if you had been the biggest piece of poo poo to him.

Does that always happen? I swear one time I met him in 3 and he was super helpful, and it turns out he’s some genius science guy who can help build the crucible

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gerblyn posted:

Does that always happen? I swear one time I met him in 3 and he was super helpful, and it turns out he’s some genius science guy who can help build the crucible

It does, but it's from his appearance in 2. The import from 1 is messed up and flags both the "Intimidate" and "Charm" paths and the game prioritizes the former and so when he appears the game assumes you took the Renegade option and waved a gun in his face. In the third game there's a line where Conrad apologizes for accusing you because he was very stressed and confused at the time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

The very first chest in Dark Souls 3 is a mimic. C'mon guys, that's an insult, and a fundamental misunderstanding of the trust dynamics that make mimics work.

The entirety of the first real area has problems in a similar vein, honestly. It's pulling tricks that are best suited for a mid-to-late game area right out the gate, and not only are you generally underequipped to handle them, but it screws up the level of trust the game works on, to the detriment of basically everything afterwards for a good while.

I think they're working with the assumption that you've already played Dark Souls 1 and 2, so you know that a) there are mimics and b) the first chest won't be a mimic. Starting from that baseline it works, although if DS3 is your first one and you don't know about the tropes the game uses then yeah it messes them up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Not an actual game, but the PS5's Switcher function, which lets you swap between your current game and the last two other ones you've played without going to the home menu. Great little time saver except that it doesn't prompt you before switching - a problem when your muscle memory accidently selects it rather than the home menu when you're playing something older that dumps checkpoint saves upon exiting, like my current Resident Evil 4 replay :rip:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

For an actual game complaint, why is Fenyx Rising so obsessed with making me refight variations on AC Odyssey's most annoying boss fight, Medusa? It's already a long drawn-out slog, now I'm fighting one where she just teleports out of reach and snipes at me 2/3 of the time :smithicide:

e: more like 95% of the time, and teleporting around whenever I manage to hit for 1% of her health. What a loving turd of a slog

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Feb 9, 2021

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Are the krogan a good example? Because krogan violence, while not painted as inevitable, is painted as overwhelmingly likely. Wrex, Eve, and the genophage cure are all about betting on the hope of a better future even if it isn't a certain one. It's why you need all those factors to make it work, and why if you have Wreav in charge and don't save Eve, you can convince Mordin that it's not the right call.

Mass Effect has probably the most hosed morality system any game with a morality system. A lot of scifi leans heavily onto racist savage stereotype tropes, but I can't think of any other piece of media that bent over backwards so hard to make straight up genocide against the savage race as a valid moral choice to make. The game spends too much time trying to guilt trip you over stopping the genophage and doesn't really give you the chance to point out the obvious irony of most of the galaxy trying to do to the Krogan what the reapers are trying to do to them. You're supposed to ostensibly be the good guy no matter what path you take but there's so many straight up Nazi eugenics choices on the renegade path.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

For an actual game complaint, why is Fenyx Rising so obsessed with making me refight variations on AC Odyssey's most annoying boss fight, Medusa? It's already a long drawn-out slog, now I'm fighting one where she just teleports out of reach and snipes at me 2/3 of the time :smithicide:

e: more like 95% of the time, and teleporting around whenever I manage to hit for 1% of her health. What a loving turd of a slog

If you parry her small hand lasers she dies super quickly. Not the big continuous one that turns you to stone, the small rapid-fire lasers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DrBouvenstein posted:

2) A lot of said calls are from the former director, and when playing his calls it's the same like 20 second loop of him standing in front of a bright light so he's in silhouette, smoking a cigarette, with an overlay that is a closeup of his face dead on or in profile, also smoking a cigarette. It's incredibly bad, reminds of of, like, early SA-goons taking "cool" pictures of themselves in fedoras, smoking pipes or cigars, in front of doorways or in the woods or something. Just sort of pretentious? It was fine the first couple of times, cause it is fairly evocative of, say, a 90's TV show or movie that's about government conspiracies...like I'm sure there's many shots of the Cigarette Smoking Man on the X-Files that are identical to that...but do I need that every time?

This annoyed me too... I want more footage of James McCaffery chewing scenery!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Have any platformers had invincibility items that actually protect you from pits too?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

RareAcumen posted:

Have any platformers had invincibility items that actually protect you from pits too?

Megaman 9 at least had an item you could buy that saved you from pits, though it wasn't also a general invincibility item. I can't remember any game that just lets you stand on kill planes or whatever while invincible, or bounces you back only with the invincible status going.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RareAcumen posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog had that as a problem - if you fell into a deep spike pit while invincible you'd just have to wait it out until the powerup wore off and you died because there was no way to jump out. And then in some pits, you'd accidentally keep picking up a single ring, losing it, and picking it up again resulting in a softlock

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RareAcumen posted:

It's saving you from a long climb rather than death but The Deadly Tower of Monsters has an always-available teleport button to put you back up on the last ledge you just accidentally jumped off.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

This is supposed to be fixed in the Legendary Edition, where they'll have a single character creator that works for all three games and lets you have the ME3 femshep in ME1.

That's good to know... I doubt I'm going back but at least future generations won't suffer as I did

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

RareAcumen posted:

Megaman 3, if you had a friend on the second controller for the invincibility buff let you jump out of pits. You'd basically do a superjump. Played the kill sound and stopped the music every time you fell in though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Mass Effect has probably the most hosed morality system any game with a morality system. A lot of scifi leans heavily onto racist savage stereotype tropes, but I can't think of any other piece of media that bent over backwards so hard to make straight up genocide against the savage race as a valid moral choice to make. The game spends too much time trying to guilt trip you over stopping the genophage and doesn't really give you the chance to point out the obvious irony of most of the galaxy trying to do to the Krogan what the reapers are trying to do to them. You're supposed to ostensibly be the good guy no matter what path you take but there's so many straight up Nazi eugenics choices on the renegade path.

The Paragon/Renegade system is really frustrating because when it works as it was initially pitched, it's pretty fun. It wasn't supposed to be a morality system, it was supposed to be an action hero spectrum. You can either be the by-the-books, square-jawed hero or the loose-cannon action movie hero. But Bioware only really knows how to do shallow good and evil binaries, despite the fact that Mass Effect's narrative is so heavily structured that it doesn't work at all if Shepard isn't explicitly the good guy.

The best the system ever worked was in Mass Effect 2 when the paragon choice is to try to talk down the bad guys pointing guns at you and the renegade choice is to ignore their ranting and shoot the explosive barrel behind them. Your two options are between movie hero archetypes. It's more fun than Good and Evil, which almost no game developers can do well least of all Bioware. Sadly, its the exception and most of the time you're just getting poo poo-rear end KOTOR choices again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem with Mass Effect's morality system is that Paragon represents your generic good guy responses, whereas Renegade ranges from ruthlessly pragmatic to pointessly cruel to recklessly stupid for no reason. And there's no real common logical thread among them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately, being Paragon doesn't stop you from taking Renegade interrupts, which are almost universally the 'loose cannon action hero' moments, so I doubt I'm the only one who plays almost purely Paragon but takes almost every Renegade interrupt. Shepard's a nice person, but you should limit your villain speeches around her, she's liable to get bored.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Another one for Control:

The map is terrible. Like...just pure God-awful. It's just a flat layer, but it puts multiple floors on that layer, so I'm the red arrow, but am I on the same floor as my goal? Did I take a wrong turn and have to go back to a hub room and go up half a floor and then back this direction? I have gotten lost so many times trying to get to a location, even ones I've been before (especially in the maintenance area) because there's back-tracking hallways, rooms that connect near but not directly to where I want to go, or they do connect, but one-way, and I have to go to the "goal" room from another direction and turn a thing on/cleanse the point first then it opens.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I tried to play ME in renegade, but apparently that literally means "pro-human space nazi" and I couldn't go through with it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

None of the Renegade options ever felt like something Lorenzo Lamas would actually do in that situation.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DrBouvenstein posted:

Another one for Control:

The map is terrible. Like...just pure God-awful. It's just a flat layer, but it puts multiple floors on that layer, so I'm the red arrow, but am I on the same floor as my goal? Did I take a wrong turn and have to go back to a hub room and go up half a floor and then back this direction? I have gotten lost so many times trying to get to a location, even ones I've been before (especially in the maintenance area) because there's back-tracking hallways, rooms that connect near but not directly to where I want to go, or they do connect, but one-way, and I have to go to the "goal" room from another direction and turn a thing on/cleanse the point first then it opens.

The Research map is just awful, especially.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I heard that less than 10% of players ever chose to play renegade Shep, according to Bioware internal stats. It makes sense though, the renegade options were not a consistent ideology or personality and a lot of the time created consequences that made it mechanically disadvantageous to take in the first place. Most players only play through once, if even that, so why make one half of your morality binary the objectively worse choice?

I'm glad the fad of morality systems has died down a lot since the 2000s

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Morality systems in games have never been good, because as it turns out, condensing all of human morality and the thought processes that go into it down to "here's three options, you literally can't do anything else" doesn't work. I think Fable 2 kind of came the closest, by having separate "good/evil" and "pure/corrupt" sliders... except, if I recall correctly, purity and corruption were tied to things like 'do you use protection when having sex' or 'do you eat healthy' and not, like, your actual moral actions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Fable 2 system was great cause sure my character would kill people to buy their houses to make a profit but she ate lots of tofu so her skin was perfect

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The real problem with Biowares morality is that it mechanically rewarded you for going 100 percent Paragon or Renegade, with perks/skills, so choosing based on the situation was thusly disincentivized. People like being the good guy, thus 90% paragons.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Mechanically rewarding morality systems just seem like a bad idea period because people will always game them some way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I at least had fun with KOTOR1's light side/dark side because being dark side was so over-the-top ridiculous it was fun, and force lightning rocks.

And there was at least some benefit to being neutral/grey, and that was you could use light side and dark side powers with no penalty, though obviously you miss out on the benefits of reduced force cost and stronger powers that align with your Jedi, but it was nice to blast some lightning out, and then heal your teammates a turn later.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I would cite the Fallout 3 quest with the Maoist ghoul as a classic example of morality going wrong in video games, but I feel like most people might be on the ghoul's side at this point.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I was always Paragon in Mass Effect, unless a renegade interrupt popped up because they're usually pretty badass.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There’s on in ME2 that the game practically begs you to take

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

christmas boots posted:

There’s on in ME2 that the game practically begs you to take

Taser the dude with an arc welder? Shoot the barrel behind the krogan? Punch the reporter? Shove the dude out a window? Tell the barely injured dude that he's about to bleed out?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Taser the dude with an arc welder? Shoot the barrel behind the krogan? Punch the reporter? Shove the dude out a window? Tell the barely injured dude that he's about to bleed out?

I mean all of them, but specifically I mean the krogan one based on how the window to do the interrupt is about ten times longer than any other interrupt in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also absolutely nothing happened if you didn’t do the interrupt, he just finished his monologue and then attacked you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well that's the point, if you take the renegade interrupt Shepard immolates him and you don't have to fight him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's maybe one or two interrupts in the whole series that have a negative outcome so you might as well take them whenever you see them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Crowetron posted:

The Paragon/Renegade system is really frustrating because when it works as it was initially pitched, it's pretty fun. It wasn't supposed to be a morality system, it was supposed to be an action hero spectrum. You can either be the by-the-books, square-jawed hero or the loose-cannon action movie hero. But Bioware only really knows how to do shallow good and evil binaries, despite the fact that Mass Effect's narrative is so heavily structured that it doesn't work at all if Shepard isn't explicitly the good guy.

The best the system ever worked was in Mass Effect 2 when the paragon choice is to try to talk down the bad guys pointing guns at you and the renegade choice is to ignore their ranting and shoot the explosive barrel behind them. Your two options are between movie hero archetypes. It's more fun than Good and Evil, which almost no game developers can do well least of all Bioware. Sadly, its the exception and most of the time you're just getting poo poo-rear end KOTOR choices again.

And they still couldn't get it loving right. There's a choice in the first game where the admiral whose fleet the Normandy was going to be assigned to before you got it comes along and demands a tour. The Paragon option is you say "Yes sir, certainly sir, come aboard sir." The Renegade option tells him to go gently caress himself. Which is completely wrong. Letting someone who has no authority over you aboard a top secret military vessel because they just fancy a look round is not the "by the books" response. You tell him to go get clearance and then you'll consider it when you're not busy saving the galaxy. And do not get me started on the bullshit on that ice planet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's the same problem they had with Jade Empire and the Open Palm/Closed Fist system where they set something up with more nuance than just good/evil but then in practice it's always BasicallyJesus/SuperHitler

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

The real problem with Biowares morality is that it mechanically rewarded you for going 100 percent Paragon or Renegade, with perks/skills, so choosing based on the situation was thusly disincentivized. People like being the good guy, thus 90% paragons.

Funnily enough it was Mass Effect 3 that fixed this. All your morality points went into the same pool, it didn't matter if you chose Paragon or Renegade you could pick any option so long as you had enough points in the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It was a pretty bad game, but I liked Deathspank's morality system, which was a slider in the options menu. I think it might have had cosmetic GUI effects.