Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

alarumklok posted:

they do, in fact, try this regularly. unions usually try to push back against this and it's why professors are really loving weird about their recordings and such. adjuncts are underrepresented and underinformed though, and are ripe to be exploited! woo!

Really? This seems really bad.

What does the school do when the students actually want to communicate with the professor about stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

What does the school do when the students actually want to communicate with the professor about stuff?

rn it's mostly just reusing lecture material and having lower paid adjuncts teach the prebuilt class

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

contingents are incredibly abused and are basically gig workers, so why not have them do the actual lecture and steal the course from someone else

I'm sure they'd like to just cut out that as well if they could but having someone to email and argue about grades is why your students pay for your courses

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

The administrator reads the name of the new TA for that semester, then the video editor splices that name in wherever the professor refers to their TA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

alarumklok posted:

rn it's mostly just reusing lecture material and having lower paid adjuncts teach the prebuilt class

Adjunct professors are those guys with signs next to the overpasses. "Will teach for food."

It's funny that the people I know who will quickly say that teachers don't get the pay/benefits they deserve, but the second they hear about a teacher's strike (or just a demand for better treatment) they immediately reverse course on that.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ideally everything works like coursera where the coursework and tests are graded via computer magic and you're just paying for an office hours bitch

but still thousands of dollars per course OF COURSE

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

alarumklok posted:

ideally everything works like coursera where the coursework and tests are graded via computer magic and you're just paying for an office hours bitch

but still thousands of dollars per course OF COURSE

It's a garbage system. But it makes sense for the strangeness in a lot of my graduate courses.

I'm going to drive 3 hours to the college campus and demand in person office time. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRKfwmgrHY

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/spindlypete/status/1358923242619084805

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

About the only way I can imagine it ever happening is the stupid way the military was doing forced hydration in the 90's.

Sometimes you get people into "fitness" nearly dying or dying of water poisoning.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the gently caress is a first year driver

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the gently caress is a first year driver

I put "first year driver license" into google and it said the answer was "1903" so I'm going with that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Probably "insurance" is cut off

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

man, even the total is lowballed

(450 + 150) / 12 = 50 gbp per month for the insurance, plus 40 for groceries and 10 for cell service is already a 100. even ignoring the presents (also listed at 50 per month), thats not exactly 90.

since he clearly lives at home, im guessing mum/dad pays the insurance too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love to buy clothing based primarily on the fact that it costs more, with "is ethically produced" a distant second

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Balance your budget with this one weird trick:
Don't pay for food, rent, utilities or health insurance. So simple!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Aristocrats United States!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

[Recommended] *BEST DEAL!*
New! Credit Karma Money™ Spend account1

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

Balance your budget with this one weird trick:
Don't pay for food, rent, utilities or health insurance. So simple!

It's like that super rich family with the budget only just balancing because they spent all the money or used it for savings.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

there is no loving way a first year driver is paying £450 per year on insurance, that poo poo is £2500 for a year, he has to be fudging that somehow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AceClown posted:

there is no loving way a first year driver is paying £450 per year on insurance, that poo poo is £2500 for a year, he has to be fudging that somehow.

Yeah, and I guarantee it's this: he's on his parents' insurance, and that's his share.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah, and I guarantee it's this: he's on his parents' insurance, and that's his share.

Which he probably doesn't pay.

You really have to wonder the point of these articles. By which I mean you don't, it's just a psyop in the endless war of management vs labour

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

You really have to wonder the point of these articles.
they're word search puzzles to give leftists something to do online

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Failed Imagineer posted:

Which he probably doesn't pay.

You really have to wonder the point of these articles. By which I mean you don't, it's just a psyop in the endless war of management vs labour

Rage clicks are stats to show to advertisers / bosses. They will keep churning these out while there is a fool to interview / invent for one and people to get angry and share it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Rage clicks are stats to show to advertisers / bosses. They will keep churning these out while there is a fool to interview / invent for one and people to get angry and share it.

I wonder what proportion is rage clicks and what proportion is like, boomers looking for evidence to reenforce their lovely internal biases that Kids These Days are just darn dumb and lazy and if they just gave up their daily avocado starbucks they'd be fine

Cuz I bet there's a lot more of those people than you'd expect or hope there'd be, and they're exactly the kind of people who would eagerly gloss over the usual "well sure his parents gave him a house and got him a job at the family money farm" or w/e detail they throw in at paragraph 8

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Hey I'm a 34 year old research assistant making the same. Can I live with his parents too? I can pay in sexual favors.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Did they pick a five year old photo? Dudes hair is way thinner than that I’m pretty sure

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can solve that one w money

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Not that quick though? The owner of my work got hair plugs and they took a month or two to not look super weird although maybe he had a weird reaction or got cheap ones? I almost got fired cause I didn’t know what was up and I asked him how he got such a bad sunburn

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Chick-fil-A should pay gay people to eat there

I know that’s not what you’re saying but that’s how I read it and I like the idea

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Chick-fil-A should pay gay people to eat there

I know that’s not what you’re saying but that’s how I read it and I like the idea

Gay for pay at Chick-fil-A

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1359205442430398470

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

LMAO I was in the army between 2000 and 2004 and I remember this to this very day. "DRINK WATER!!!" "If your pee isn't clear you need to drink right now!" God just so much water drinking. A cult of water drinking.

i still remember it from basic training in 2003:

Basic, what is Camelbak's Motto?
Sir, "hydrate or die!"

One of the girls in my flight spent a day or two in the med tent with hyponatremia.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cmerepaul posted:

i still remember it from basic training in 2003:

Basic, what is Camelbak's Motto?
Sir, "hydrate or die!"

One of the girls in my flight spent a day or two in the med tent with hyponatremia.

Joe Camel took a weird turn

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:d2a:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Such a heart warming story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

starkebn posted:

Such a heart warming story

The flaming rage is nice and toasty, aren't they?