Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MREBoy posted:

Any suggestions for a computer case that can hold a standard ATX mobo/psu along with six 3.5 SATA disk drives and potentially two 2.5 SSDs and is also not infested with blingy crap & overpriced?

Check out the Fractal Design Meshify 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MREBoy posted:

Any suggestions for a computer case that can hold a standard ATX mobo/psu along with six 3.5 SATA disk drives and potentially two 2.5 SSDs and is also not infested with blingy crap & overpriced?

This is a nice one, I had it for 6.5 years before selling it to a goon for... maybe $100

https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-rsv-l4500/p/N82E16811147164?Item=N82E16811147164 $175 usd shipped

It comes with three six low speed 120mm fans which are nice and quiet, has room to mount four three more mid-case, and I think room for 2 x 80mm rear exhast fans. Has three bays that each will hold (toolless) 3x 3.5 or ~5x 2.5

Bonus, fits standard 19" rack/ikea side table, since it's a 4U there's no heat build up so there are no "turbo hairdryer" fans like most people think of when they think "1U rack mount"

second edit: i sold it because 6/8/10tb drives came way, way down in price and honestly the synology ds418 is such a nicer end user experience than building/maintaining one of these monstrosities

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 6, 2021

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I just set one of those cases up a couple weeks ago with a twist on the lackrack i'm sure has been done before AMA.

I got the variant with 2 drive cages + a 3x5.25 since I eventually want to move my disc ripping duties to it. It's well built where it counts and phenomenally lovely with stuff you can swap out (drive cages and fans). I put noctuas in and it's dead silent. I'll almost certainly get better drive cages whenever it's time to add/replace disks. Even factoring those costs in it's one of the cheaper OEM rackmount cases.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Would it make sense to shuck at WD Easystore just to put it in another external enclosure? I picked one up to backup my Synology. CrystalDiskInfo says its a WD80EDAZ. Googling around shows they run hotter than most and the enclosure has no fan, plus I've seen a lot of WD externals poo poo themselves.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AgentCow007 posted:

Would it make sense to shuck at WD Easystore just to put it in another external enclosure? I picked one up to backup my Synology. CrystalDiskInfo says its a WD80EDAZ. Googling around shows they run hotter than most and the enclosure has no fan, plus I've seen a lot of WD externals poo poo themselves.

Maybe, but I've also seen people drill holes in the WD case, or put the drive on a USB powered fan to give it some more airflow. That might be cheaper than a different enclosure but is just a bit more fiddly.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I am back with more issues with my FreeNAS box. For a recap: I shutdown and unplugged my box to replace some fans. Once I buttoned everything back up, my pool (ShareDrive) says offline.

Recently, I tried camcontrol devlist and none of my drives are showing up. zpool list only shows the USB device I am running TrueNAS off of. I saw to try zpool import poolname, and I tried that with the name of my pool and it just says "no such pool available"

I hear my drives spinning up, so I know they are getting power, but I have a hard time thinking that all 3 went bad and are totally unreadable at the same time. Any other ideas?

My only other idea is that the hotswap backplane my case has maybe went bad or something. I wonder if I can just find an internal cage or totally remove the backplane and plug in directly to the SATA ports without it.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hadlock posted:

This is a nice one, I had it for 6.5 years before selling it to a goon for... maybe $100

https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-rsv-l4500/p/N82E16811147164?Item=N82E16811147164 $175 usd shipped

It comes with three six low speed 120mm fans which are nice and quiet, has room to mount four three more mid-case, and I think room for 2 x 80mm rear exhast fans. Has three bays that each will hold (toolless) 3x 3.5 or ~5x 2.5

Bonus, fits standard 19" rack/ikea side table, since it's a 4U there's no heat build up so there are no "turbo hairdryer" fans like most people think of when they think "1U rack mount"

second edit: i sold it because 6/8/10tb drives came way, way down in price and honestly the synology ds418 is such a nicer end user experience than building/maintaining one of these monstrosities

You can totally fit 5 3.5s in each bay.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I am back with more issues with my FreeNAS box. For a recap: I shutdown and unplugged my box to replace some fans. Once I buttoned everything back up, my pool (ShareDrive) says offline.

Recently, I tried camcontrol devlist and none of my drives are showing up. zpool list only shows the USB device I am running TrueNAS off of. I saw to try zpool import poolname, and I tried that with the name of my pool and it just says "no such pool available"

I hear my drives spinning up, so I know they are getting power, but I have a hard time thinking that all 3 went bad and are totally unreadable at the same time. Any other ideas?

My only other idea is that the hotswap backplane my case has maybe went bad or something. I wonder if I can just find an internal cage or totally remove the backplane and plug in directly to the SATA ports without it.

Since the drives aren't showing up in the OS then you'll have to look at non-software factors. Bypassing the backplane is a good next troubleshooting step.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Do you know which HBA (and what firmware) it's flashed with?
I'd check if FreeNAS can see the HBA that the drives are connected to, it should be clear from /var/run/dmesg.boot but if not you can do:
cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | nc termbin.com 9999
Then link that here.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do you know which HBA (and what firmware) it's flashed with?
I'd check if FreeNAS can see the HBA that the drives are connected to, it should be clear from /var/run/dmesg.boot but if not you can do:
cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | nc termbin.com 9999
Then link that here.

Here is the link to the termbin output.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

AgentCow007 posted:

I bought a couple of these and they work just fine. Tape em up, one for each enclosure.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ntbrh

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I posted before but I think it got lost on the bottom of the page :)

Abridged version:
Is RAID1 just a term for writing the exact same thing to two drives simultaneously? Like, if one of the drives in a RAID1 setup fails, can you plug the single drive left into a non-RAID controller and have it work? or do you HAVE to replace the drive and rebuild the "array"?

Also, are these drives any good at this price?

Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB Desktop Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services
$139.99 each
https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreeBSD isn't seeing your HBA, so if you've already reseated it, I'm afraid it or its socket is having major issues.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

namlosh posted:

I posted before but I think it got lost on the bottom of the page :)

Abridged version:
Is RAID1 just a term for writing the exact same thing to two drives simultaneously? Like, if one of the drives in a RAID1 setup fails, can you plug the single drive left into a non-RAID controller and have it work? or do you HAVE to replace the drive and rebuild the "array"?

Also, are these drives any good at this price?

Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB Desktop Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services
$139.99 each
https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

It depends on the specific software you are using. In some cases the drive is encrypted or otherwise not able to be accessed separately, outside of the appliance. But generally yes the data is mirrored and everything works fine if one drive is gone.

These are very likely SMR drives. This is fine for many uses, anything storing large files generally would be fine for any raid 1 setup. But if you write more than ~40gb at once the write speeds will drop, this can turn a 10 hour rebuild of a larger raid into a 48+ hour rebuild, not generally an issue for raid 1 though. The drive can't write modify files without reading and rewriting adjacent data. Specifically this is a problem with ZFS with larger arrays.

For $3 more you can get regular CMR drives from WD on Amazon. https://diskprices.com/

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

MREBoy posted:

Antec P101 is a great case that is not blinged out and built like a beast. Has eight 3.5" bays with trays and mounts two SSDs behind the motherboard on the opposite side of the chassis.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBXP8KZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worth the $120 I paid for it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

lampey posted:

It depends on the specific software you are using. In some cases the drive is encrypted or otherwise not able to be accessed separately, outside of the appliance. But generally yes the data is mirrored and everything works fine if one drive is gone.

These are very likely SMR drives. This is fine for many uses, anything storing large files generally would be fine for any raid 1 setup. But if you write more than ~40gb at once the write speeds will drop, this can turn a 10 hour rebuild of a larger raid into a 48+ hour rebuild, not generally an issue for raid 1 though. The drive can't write modify files without reading and rewriting adjacent data. Specifically this is a problem with ZFS with larger arrays.

For $3 more you can get regular CMR drives from WD on Amazon. https://diskprices.com/

This is exactly why I asked here... thanks so much. I’ll wait and grab some CMR WD drives as recommended.

Will it be in the product description?

Thx again

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

namlosh posted:

This is exactly why I asked here... thanks so much. I’ll wait and grab some CMR WD drives as recommended.

Thx again

WD Red Plus and Pro lines are CMR.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Connected directly to SATA ports with no backplains. Still heard drives spool, now TrueNAS web GUI isn't loading. Trying to get the remote management console to work but ASRock only does it via Java and only a specific version and nothing I do is letting it start up. I swear once I get my data I'm just getting a Synology or QNAP device. Roll your own was fun until it isnt. Only thing I can think of and that I am trying to change is that it was always connected to the SAS side of the ports on my backplane and not SATA, so I must need to change some setting in my. BIOS.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

KKKLIP ART posted:

Connected directly to SATA ports with no backplains. Still heard drives spool, now TrueNAS web GUI isn't loading. Trying to get the remote management console to work but ASRock only does it via Java and only a specific version and nothing I do is letting it start up. I swear once I get my data I'm just getting a Synology or QNAP device. Roll your own was fun until it isnt. Only thing I can think of and that I am trying to change is that it was always connected to the SAS side of the ports on my backplane and not SATA, so I must need to change some setting in my. BIOS.

Oh I recently dealt with this ASRock IPMI Java thing. I had to manually grab an older version of java and configure webstart to use that instead of whatever the newest OpenJDK was I had installed. It's very stupid.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Milkman posted:

Oh I recently dealt with this ASRock IPMI Java thing. I had to manually grab an older version of java and configure webstart to use that instead of whatever the newest OpenJDK was I had installed. It's very stupid.

Ahh Java, write once, run anywhere.....as long as it has an ancient JRE.

Edit: and $deity help you if you have two applications that depend on non-overlapping JRE versions.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SUCCESS! MOSTLY!

I got rid of my backplane and went straight to the SATA connectors on my motherboard and it wasn't booting. I had to dig out a VGA cable and thankfully my TV had a port because my other monitor is at work.

I had to change my SATA ports to RAID and set it to boot from USB. It still didn't work and was trying to boot from SATA, so there was a setting to turn off the ability to boot from SATA alltogether, so I did that. TrueNAS loaded, but it says one of my drives is either dead or not connecting. I still have access to all my data, so that's a start. I'm going to at least move my pictures off, I stream all my music and my old :files: movies would suck to lose, but with Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon, I can pretty much watch anything whenever. Thank y'all for listening to me rant. I'll see if this drive is under warranty and replace it and then maybe still. investigate a whitebox or pre-made solution.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

namlosh posted:

Thx again

You have to research the models to see if they are SMR or CMR, and what is the likely drive if you are shucking. WD 8tb drives are all CMR, only 6tb and below are smr. Seagate has some 8tb ones, often in the externals that are SMR

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

My home nas now has a total of 8 hard drives and I'm trying to condense the number of wires running in the back of my case. How many hard drives is it safe to daisy chain off off a single 6pin connector? Its a 6pin to 3x sata power that I plan on chaining 5x sata power connectors too. My current psu is a seasonic focus+ gold 750w if that determines anything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Something that people might find useful if they're not shucking is an article anandtech.com published about the best consumer HDDs.

Also, I saw some mentions of using CloudFlares free service as as CDN, and it may not be the smartest idea.

In other hilarious news, Plex is helping amplify DDoS attacks because people insist on not firewalling their poo poo properly. :mad:

And finally, Synology are going to start vendor-locking on their enterprise units, so I wonder how long it'll take until they do it on prosumer, then consumer bits too. Probably not worth holding ones breath, but it seems inevitable since the move appears to be entirely driven by making more money and not making customers happier.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

There is a version of this that has 12x front access 3.5" drives built in that's okay quality. They went out of stock for nearly a year when I was building about 12 months ago so I had to source one locally when you couldn't find them ANYWHERE and let's just say I paid less than newegg wants for this new batch lol thanks COVID.
https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-rsv-l4412/p/N82E16811147233

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Does anyone else use Windows for their NAS? I currently have everything (emby/sab/sonarr/radarr/etc) on Windows 10 pro and it works, but I've been convinced by reddit/youtube I should be using linux/ZFS/docker for a variety of reasons. I'm currently only using 2x4TB drives, but I have 5x14TB ready to go for my next pool once I settle on an OS. The only thing internet facing is Emby and maybe Nextcloud eventually.

I've been trying out ubuntu server then Openmediavault and I just.... don't jive with Linux/docker. I've used Linux before, I can get around the command line, it just makes me want to scream every time I spend an hour chasing down one issue only to find the next one.

For example: Sabnzbd doesn't work under the linuxserver.io docker image due to a mistake in the image (this took 45 minutes of googling to figure out why I could access the sab interface). Then there's samba; holy hell samba sucks. It sucked when I tried to use it 10 years ago and it still sucks today; the ONLY way I can get it to work is guest mode, anything with auth requires a bunch of voodoo on both the linux and windows 10 side of things. My Macbook can connect to the same Windows share just fine!

I think what I need is stablebit drivepool + snapraid, but I'd just like someone to hold me and tell me everything will be OK with that. Is there any shame in giving up and sticking with Windows? I know read/write perf won't be great, but I'm just serving media and using it as a catch-all.

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 9, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow, hello me circa 2010

Nextcloud is php trash garbage, pass
If you don't like docker, use podman, it probably fits your mental model better, and is easier to manage if you hate system TL

Yes Samba is annoying

I would strongly caution against using windows for a greenfield server system unless you are trying to level up your windows admin skills, you're constantly going to be bumping up against artificial limits in place to encourage you to upgrade to whatever the latest version of windows server is (I lost track after 2012)

Stable bit drive pool is very user friendly but has no transferable skills if you want to do that kind of thing professionally

See if your work will sponsor you a msdn membership so you can get access to windows server data center edition for free

Or just learn linux, which is a lifetime skill that will pay off in spades

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frankly for home storage I can't see any reason you'd use Windows vs almost anything else. It will cost more, be less supported by a community and almost certainly perform worse.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So if I want to ditch my TrueNAS box with something that is less of a headache when things go wrong, what is the way to go? The only thing I really do other than storage is sometimes streaming movies from it and I host my Unifi Cloud Key from it. I don’t need 10gbe but maybe something with dual 1gbe that I can bond? Or maybe something I can get a 10gbe card for as an expansion later would work too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurgerQuest posted:

Frankly for home storage I can't see any reason you'd use Windows vs almost anything else. It will cost more, be less supported by a community and almost certainly perform worse.

Stablebit Drivepool and Windows is a nice combo, I have 8x4TB. Then I can run windows programs on remote desktop.. such as quickbooks, qb torrent, Ivideon security software and then i throw a PFsense into a hyperv for my router. Works NICE. I do not have the time or need to dive into linux.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Gonna Send It posted:

holy hell samba sucks. It sucked when I tried to use it 10 years ago and it still sucks today; the ONLY way I can get it to work is guest mode, anything with auth requires a bunch of voodoo on both the linux and windows 10 side of things.
You can solve avoid most of your samba auth problems if you set your username to match your windows login.

I think you should trial unraid and the community apps plug in if you want to give a non windows solution another try. I don't know how to use docker on any other platform, but on here it kind of just works after setting the mount points in a web interface.

I wouldn't try running a nas from bare linux like you tried because I don't like being a computer janitor.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Nextcloud in Docker (once you get their crummy image happy) isn't so bad to manage. I've got it, postgres, redis, elasticsearch, and collabora office running in a pod. Because I could

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Wow, hello me circa 2010
Yes Samba is annoying

I would strongly caution against using windows for a greenfield server system unless you are trying to level up your windows admin skills, you're constantly going to be bumping up against artificial limits in place to encourage you to upgrade to whatever the latest version of windows server is (I lost track after 2012)

Stable bit drive pool is very user friendly but has no transferable skills if you want to do that kind of thing professionally

Spoiler alert: I finally broke down and bought a synology, because I don't like being a computer janitor either

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

So if I want to ditch my TrueNAS box with something that is less of a headache when things go wrong, what is the way to go? The only thing I really do other than storage is sometimes streaming movies from it and I host my Unifi Cloud Key from it. I don’t need 10gbe but maybe something with dual 1gbe that I can bond? Or maybe something I can get a 10gbe card for as an expansion later would work too.

Your hardware failure is not truenas's fault. If your synology magic nas box has a dead motherboard or backplane it will present the same. Had you 1:1 replaced the correct part you would have saved yourself a bunch of headache, and troubleshooting past that point was a headache of your own making.

This isn't to say your troubleshooting was wrong or you were dumb to do it, but next time default to replacing parts. It will save you a lot of headache.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Or just learn linux, which is a lifetime skill that will pay off in spades

sigh I think this is the correct answer, but man it's frustrating. It is not as "just set the config bro" as many linux touchers would have you believe, and most answers aren't very clear cut. I'm currently on 25 days of uptime with windows and it just works?

Funnily enough, I DID start out by trying to use podman, and I got owned hard by SELinux without knowing what was going on for a while. Nowhere in the "just switch docker commands for podman" guides does it mention this.

CopperHound posted:

You can solve avoid most of your samba auth problems if you set your username to match your windows login.

I think you should trial unraid and the community apps plug in if you want to give a non windows solution another try. I don't know how to use docker on any other platform, but on here it kind of just works after setting the mount points in a web interface.

I wouldn't try running a nas from bare linux like you tried because I don't like being a computer janitor.

This is why I was attempting to use OMV after trying Ubuntu, it's more GUI than command line and actually pretty slick when it works. I considered Unraid but I was also interested in learning more Linux stuff, just not this steep of a curve.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gonna Send It posted:

sigh I think this is the correct answer, but man it's frustrating. It is not as "just set the config bro" as many linux touchers would have you believe, and most answers aren't very clear cut. I'm currently on 25 days of uptime with windows and it just works?

If you have something to give you redundancy on your files I wouldn't let people beat linux into you. I don't think anyone here is, they couched it in "if you want to learn life skills." If you don't want to be a computer toucher at home don't be. Wandows gonna wandows, but it generally works just fine, whole enterprises run on it at extremely high transaction loads. Your home plex nightmare will be fine.

If you decide to dip your toe into it, you can always p2v your windows setup (using disk2vhd, check all the boxes except "vhdx", it's a windows program from microsoft) and slap it in a vm in unraid. I assume. Or just buy a synology and mount it to windows as a mapped drive. Or buy an unraid setup and do the same thing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hadlock posted:

Yes Samba is annoying

Windows has NFS support, though, right? I man, I saw the check box under optional features, but I've never tried it because the smb.conf file I made in 2007 still works but maybe someone has :v:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

I've worked with zfs on FreeBSD a lot in the past and while I'm a fan of using it at work, I think it's total overkill at home for the average Linux ISO consumer. I went with unRAID because I don't have a lot of write intensive tasks and it's really easy to administer thanks to Docker/VM support. The GUI is also nice when I don't want to computer janitor at home and it still has the CLI if you need it. If you lose a drive, you rebuild from parity. If you can't rebuild then you still have what's on the other drives. If you lose those too then restore from backup, if you cared enough to have one.

If you really, really care about your data then stick with something zfs based obviously and have backups. Personally I just have a cron job that runs a directory listing and dumps that in an email once a month. Most of the files I store, I can obtain them again easily enough. A few specific things I backup and obviously I backup my docker configs.

Anyways I think it cost me $80 like 5 years ago and its paid for itself many times over.

The other option is Synology though you pay a lot more and I find their hardware offerings a bit anemic.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
the only reason to hate Samba is if you're a Mac user and even their implementation is pretty much foolproof since Catalina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

Windows has NFS support, though, right? I man, I saw the check box under optional features, but I've never tried it because the smb.conf file I made in 2007 still works but maybe someone has :v:

I honestly couldn't tell you, I clicked some boxes on my synology, and on my one remaining windows box //mynas/myshare just works in windows explorer. That was 4 years ago and it's still working. Works in Linux too.

The only thing I've done with my synology in the last three years besides write more data to it, is turn on glacier backup and that was about four mouse clicks as well