Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The other thing about this is that the She-Hulk comic everyone (including myself, indirectly) is pointing to as the likely reason that Reed/Slott were beefing came out in the fall of 2007. Even if you assume they didn't cross paths/come to blows until the next year (where it appears as if they co-existed on various con panels), Reed wrote an additional 30+ issues of Ms. Marvel, with his run wrapping up in early 2010. From there he wrote various Spider-Man books during Brand New Day (the American Son mini-series, a Carlie Cooper one-shot, a Siege one-shot, the 2012 Spider-Man annual, "Amazing Spider-Man #700.5" whatever the hell that means) from 2010 to 2014. It was a soft blacklisting clearly, not to mention one that kept him working alongside Dan Slott.

Parallel to that in 2010 he started writing the licensed Halo comics that Marvel was putting out. From there he was the lead writer for multiple Halo games released between 2012 and 2017, plus some Halo comics and novels that came out in the same span (by 2013 the license had jumped from Marvel to Dark Horse). I assume that kept him pretty busy in the video game industy, and prior to writing for Marvel from 2005-2014, he was also working in video games, and got connected to Marvel Comics while working as a game designer on the Ultimate Spider-Man game, which was co-written by Bendis.

None of this is to defend his Ms. Marvel book granularly or on the whole, or to deny that there may have been Slott/Reed beef; the 2000s Quesada era of creative summits had people in the summits themselves make joking (or sometimes maybe kidding on the square) references to people hollering and cussing each other out when they disagreed about a story direction or attitude towards a character, and I can easily imagine there was a point that it turned unpleasant. But again, there's zero evidence that a) it escalated to someone getting punched or b) it killed Reed's career at Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I love the idea that Marvel writers live in a reality constructed by Marvel comics and can only resolve problems by punching each other. Imagine Hickman rolling up to Ewing and using the siege perilous on him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

I love the idea that Marvel writers live in a reality constructed by Marvel comics and can only resolve problems by punching each other. Imagine Hickman rolling up to Ewing and using the siege perilous on him.

"I'll use MY NECROSWORD!"
"Yes, Donny. Thank you."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Now I'm trying to imagine Steve Ditko wall-crawling and my mind is boggling.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

Now I'm trying to imagine Steve Ditko wall-crawling and my mind is boggling.

The trick is to remember objectivism doesn't make sense and all his convictions flow from that. Ditko can climb walls and spin webs (any size) as long as he's not defeated by the reasoning of Ann Nocenti.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Quotey posted:

Is The Maker slated to appear in KiB? Or is he just sitting out in 1610 waiting for ewing/cates/hickman to find something to do with him

actually, i just realised how much i want bennett and the rest of immortal hulk's art team to do maker. ultimates 25-30 with a million reeds branching off and working on tony stark/computers was great, i don't even know what monstrosities they'd do with him

The City shows up in a future issue of X-Men, so there's a good chance he's showing up there. Before that, he was in Venom a bunch.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1359199980746113028

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Oh, it's that Masked Raider guy from Marvel Comics #1000 and Incoming! Was just wondering the other day if Marvel had abandoned their plans for him, but I guess not.

EDIT, wow, Cloud on that cover? that's a deep cut

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The tongue is weirding me out

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hasn't everyone there been a Defender before? Not exactly 'New', mask guy.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah, everybody there was a Defender at some point. But not during the previous time Dr Strange decided on who was going on a mission based on tarot cards before somehow getting replaced by Dr Druid in Secret Defenders, which is what that cover immediately reminded me of

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Most of them were members of The New Defenders, if that counts

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine ever wanting Hank McCoy on your team

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Cloud would certainly be an interesting character in this day and age. A genderfluid sapient nebula who had a crush on Moondragon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think Betty's been a Defender.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think Betty's been a Defender.
Betty (as Red She-Hulk) was in the Matt Fraction/Terry Dodson Defenders book from 2012.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

he fits right in with the original defenders lineup nowadays.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One step closer to a Blazing Skull ongoing. FINALLY.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Man, Cloud would certainly be an interesting character in this day and age. A genderfluid sapient nebula who had a crush on Moondragon.

I was wondering what was up with the card that looked like two naked kids about tho make out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Betty (as Red She-Hulk) was in the Matt Fraction/Terry Dodson Defenders book from 2012.

I thinked wrong!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

I thinked wrong!

There's this great bit where they're trapped in a cage that Betty could fit through the bars if she wasn't She-Hulk, but she can only stop being She-Hulk if she gets scared, and since she's basically invincible she can't convince herself to be scared.

So Doc Strange whispers something, she turns human, she looks at him and says "I don't like you."

As far as I know whatever he said was never followed up on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It works well if the team has Wonder Man on it. They should exclusively be in comics only with each other.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I was wondering what was up with the card that looked like two naked kids about tho make out.

Cloud was an interesting character especially for the time, the kind I think you can only get when you leave somebody alone on a book for a long stretch. Cloud (the nebula who was always sentient) noticed stars disappearing and didn't want to be next so they went to earth and tried to connect with a human couple in a car. Having a sentient nebula talk to them in their heads provoked some alarm and they crashed and Cloud took on the woman's form but would flip back and forth like with their crush on Moondragon. Moondragon was not written as a lesbian yet so Cloud shifted into their male form because, you know, heteronormative and this really confused Cloud. Brainwashing by the Secret Empire was also involved so they didn't know they were a nebula, just somebody who could turn into a cloud and shoot lightning, as you do.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn’t Cloud’s female form have something with Iceman?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, I think Bobby had one of his many crushes on her but I don't think she reciprocated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

So both her forms were the wrong one for how those other characters later developed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And was Cloud related to Ego, or am I misremembering a Marvel History book I haven’t read since middle school?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

As of the OHOTMUDE, Cloud and Ego are referenced in each other's entries and are related only in a fancy way of saying "look I dunno, sometimes planets just gain sentience? Look, stars develop sentience sometimes too! Just look at Cloud!" and vice versa. Not that they're 'related' in any way other than handbook handwaving that would tie everyone who can shapeshift together as "hey, they all seem to gain or lose mass sometimes, it happens!"

Also reading all of these entries, apparently Gerry Conway wrote an origin for Ego in Thor 228 (1974) where Ego's origin is that it was the home of an advanced race eons ago, who discovered their sun was going to go supernova. Led by a scientist named Egros, they tried to build a WORLDCORE where the entire race could survive and wait out the supernova(?) but then the sun explodes prematurely and supernovas the planet, somehow killing everyone in the Worldcore but the Worldcore saves Egros and merges him and all of the lifeforce of the billions of people killed in the Worldcore to create EGO THE LIVING PLANET.

The 1983 Marvel Handbook only devotes a couple of sentences in the appendix to Ego, but the 1985 version straight up goes "haha Ego said that but he was lying, that's not his origin". Possibly because John Byrne had written a new origin for Ego (both of these are mental projections Ego sends to heroes) in Fantastic Four #235, which is the "the Big Bang happens, and one planet gains sentience, who knows why, right as Galactus is going to eat it and fights back". John Byrne also "kills" Ego a couple of issues later, but that obviously didn't stick.

Steve Englehart tried a third take on Ego by just saying "oh he's an Elder of the Universe!" in his Silver Surfer run a few years later, but the OHOTMU 1990 edition also says that his Ego bullshitting.

But then in 2011 Robert Rodi's Astonishing Thor just had the Stranger show up and go "oh Ego? Yeah, I created Ego for REASONS BEYOND YOUR UNDERSTANDING. And I also planted a bunch of fake origin stories out there to trick Thor, DEAL WITH IT" which leads to a fight with the Collector who apparently has been holding Alter Ego, Ego's brother planet, in a tesseract for the past few million years. This was I guess a deal Stranger made to borrow some rare Living Planet Making equipment from the Collector, who in exchange wanted a living planet for his zoo. Stranger thought that was fine, but now wants to break Alter Ego out of Collector Jail in order to see how different his two Living Planet sons are after a jillion years or whatever. Ego and Alter Ego try to eat each other but only succeed in like beating each other up, at which point the Stranger goes "Alter Ego, you're Ego's moon now!" and they live happily ever after.

Then a few years later in Al Ewing's Ultimates 2, he synthesizes all of these so that the Egros thing was true, but the Stranger is the one who merged Egros (and all of his race) into the Living Planet. Ewing then has Ego evolve into Ego-Prime, who is a living planet with a body (so just a giant man with a planet head) who teams with Galactus, The Infininaut, and Psi-Hawk as the Eternity Watch. After they save all of existence, Ego just sort of... pops his body off into space and floats off, most recently showing up in Asgardians of the Galaxy where Alter-Ego is back as his moon.

So who knows? If the New Defenders is in fact Ewing, maybe he'll follow up on some of the stuff from the Ultimates with Cloud. Or maybe not?

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
Is it weird that i'm already mourning the end of Krakoa as the mutant homeland?
Westchester, Island M, Asteroid M, Genosha and Utopia, all workable places for mutants to be, beyond the control of humanity and every single one destroyed beyond habitation.
At the moment it's great, beyond expectation to anyone who ever read x-men, but at any point between now and the next "Event" It's all going to burn.
I want Golden "Egg" Balls to stay crucial to the continued thriving of the mutants, but all 4 decades of my existence says the opposite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean no poo poo it's going to burn, they've cured death.

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
Death is a homo-sapien concern.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was actually rereading House of X the other day, and there was a lot of focus on how "Krakoa" encompassed a whole lot of places around the world all at once, and Storm also brought up how they'd want to eventually own property out there in the world instead of just being on this one island all the time. And the notion has...kind of been forgotten, at this point? And they're all kinda just staying on this one island all the time?

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I was actually rereading House of X the other day, and there was a lot of focus on how "Krakoa" encompassed a whole lot of places around the world all at once, and Storm also brought up how they'd want to eventually own property out there in the world instead of just being on this one island all the time. And the notion has...kind of been forgotten, at this point? And they're all kinda just staying on this one island all the time?

The one island has a site in the Atlantic, the Pacific, the savage land, the moon and on mars

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

You know what you two need?

A little comic strip called “Love Is...”

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Colossus spends most of his time on a farm in the Savage Lands now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have to point out that unless I'm misremembering, the Eternity Watch also included Black Panther, using the tamed power of the White Tiger's patron deity.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jinkii posted:

The one island has a site in the Atlantic, the Pacific, the savage land, the moon and on mars

It also has a retirement community in Arizona.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

So who knows? If the New Defenders is in fact Ewing, maybe he'll follow up on some of the stuff from the Ultimates with Cloud. Or maybe not?

I like his history could very well boil to 'Ego doesn't actually know but he's billions of years old and powerful beyond belief so he's not going to actually admit it.'

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jinkii posted:

Don’t forget Bobby has a building on the shiar homeworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

BrianWilly posted:

In Giant Size X-Men: Magneto Emma Frost buys a Faroe Island from Namor and Magneto builds a fancy building. It ends with Emma saying she's going to send out invites, but IDK if it's been followed up on, don't read Marauders.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 10, 2021