Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Without knowing your situation, that did sound like it had sexist undertones, even before I read your last part where your actual manager mentioned it. It reeked of it tbh

Also don't know her situation aside from that post and didnt know she was a woman but I (a male) had a similar comment made to me in a previous co-op while I was in college. I was in a cubicle away from everyone else and the opening faced a wall so I was pretty much hidden. I prefer to be solitary if I can help it and would usually only leave my desk if I had to go into the shop to see something. My boss/other engineers would usually just email me with work to do and I'd similarly email back with results/requests for checks of my work. One day the office matriarch (a very large and loud woman) loudly said while I was eating my lunch "oh hot cocoa! I didnt even know you were still working here! You're always hiding in your hole!" and I was so shocked I just kind of laughed and said "yeah that hole is where I work". Afterwards thinking about it I thought "that was kinda a rude comment" but she was generally known to be a loudmouth so I brushed it off.

Later she came by my desk and told me "people notice" that "you're kind of cold and don't even say hi to most people". "We're a family here so try to fit in", she tells me. I was going through a separation with my wife at the time so I wasnt super happy most days and that just sent my anxiety through the roof. The next Monday though my manager brought me into his office and told me I was doing great work, and it was so refreshing to have such a diligent and mature co-op student (I was 28 at the time, they usually have 19-22 year old co-ops in the engineering department), and said I should consider coming and applying to work there after I graduated. So that was a big relief. I never said anything to him about the sales admins comment, or even to anyone except my exwife. gently caress you Linda!

Designing mining equipment was lame anyway. I design robots and poo poo now which is way cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
“We’re a big family here” usually means “we have work-life balance issues and develop an air of artificial camaraderie to distract ourselves from the lives we should be living outside of this place.” This same company will inevitably insist if you are laid off or terminated that it’s nothing personal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Starting in the new year, the higher ups in IT decided that everyone on our team (Deskside support, not any other IT group) now have to meet daily/weekly ticket quotas.

Problem is, despite having, functionally, 3 managers of the deskside team, we self-assign tickets. And as anyone can tell you, not all tickets are equal, and we ALL know the guys who just F5 that queue till they see a real easy one and assign it to themselves.

And then there's the two guys who never really look at the queue, because they've convinced whole departments to bypass the internal IT policy and directly submit tickets to them, rather than use our online portal or call the helpdesk. So they get tickets that would normally go to the helpdesk (lowest level IT, mostly offshore, the deskside team I'm on is basically one level above that) . Things like "account is locked" or "please reset my password."

Before it was just a nuisance, but now, with the stupid quotes, there's infighting with people getting mad if you "steal" their ticket, others literally doing Make-Work and creating tickets out of whole cloth, or basically splitting what is really 1 tickets into 2 or 3, etc...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Thank you goons, I feel validated and my manager and my actual manager (who is on parental leave) are both very cool, rational, and pretty on the ball as to what it’s like.

Like I don’t want to be this fearful creature that people are terrified. I want to help, and I try to be helpful, but that doesn’t mean I’m bending over backwards to mollycoddle, especially for an org that doesn’t seem so keen doing actual substantial things to make me feel like I’m actually a part of a team - not superficial gestures. A new desk and chair is nice...but it’s not a pay increase relative to my fields average rate of pay or the current average pay of a worker in my city.

I travel the furthest for my job in my office, and am still being forced to travel when the (admittedly weak) health department says you should travel for work, work from home holy poo poo. I’ve gotten poo poo several times for a train being late from a manager, as if that is within my control. I am not comped any for using public transit. I was saving an insane amount of money the period I was working from home, I was night and day happier, felt more productive and had a decent work/life balance. But working from home is not happening for the foreseeable future. Why? Because idk, some weird sales platitude bullshit that I, a non sales person, must abide by. There is nothing legally I can do. I have no idea as to when I’ll get vaccinated, and I dread catching Covid.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I feel like that kind of autonomy should be preserved, the ability to just do your work and get through the day without making lame small talk with people all the time. And it is really loving rude to insist that someone display a level of sociality that doesn't fit their preferences or character.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hasturtium posted:

“We’re a big family here” usually means “we have work-life balance issues and develop an air of artificial camaraderie to distract ourselves from the lives we should be living outside of this place.” This same company will inevitably insist if you are laid off or terminated that it’s nothing personal.
It also usually means "we expect you to work here because you feel like you owe us, not because we pay you well."

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Play posted:

I feel like that kind of autonomy should be preserved, the ability to just do your work and get through the day without making lame small talk with people all the time. And it is really loving rude to insist that someone display a level of sociality that doesn't fit their preferences or character.

It was honestly pretty jarring in my case too, because it was my first office job ever, having spent about 9 years working in a cold storage warehouse. Not usually a lot of socializing on the floor of a freezer, especially with the noise of the reefers and all the forklifts, and the fact that usually you don't stay in one place for very long. My work ethos had always been "head down, git 'er done" from that background. My headspace was pretty hosed up (aforementioned ongoing separation from wife at the time) but I was seriously second guessing if I was cut out for an office at the time, especially after that comment.

The place I work at now is awesome though, big open engineering office with loads of windows, plus the door to the shop is really just an short hallway and opening which gives a good feeling of closeness between shop and engineering. Some days I just plug in the headphones and get absorbed in the design world on my computer, some days I'm hardly at my desk, spending a little time in person hands-on with every machine and every builder. Whatever I need to do to do the job and no one asks questions as long as I deliver results. Plus there is zero dress code, the founder/president sometimes literally comes in in his sweatpants to tinker with designs we're having issues with lol.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I think it’s reasonable to expect people in an office to have some level of approachability. Like if someone has a work related question and someone meets them with a glare for daring to ask, that can be bad for the environment. Obviously, that’s not what that coworkers problem with you was lol. That type of thing is loving bullshit.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Hasturtium posted:

My org has a big main office where almost all the departments are located, and then my office is in a much smaller separate building across the lot. They have employee appreciation bbqs and celebrate birthdays and such and I just show up to get food and then go straight back to my office. Theres lots of drama and politically motivated firings in the main building and ive been told just avoiding any kind of non work interaction is for the best.

Theres another departments director in my office who's got the system figured out. For the employee appreciation bbq last october they called her name multiple times because it was her birthday and she got a plaque and an extra day of pto for being here for 12 years, and she didn't show up at all. I told her about it later and she said she was just gonna pick up that stuff from HR lol.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Years ago I came back from lunch with some colleagues and our teamleader came over and told us: "Well, you were 5 minutes late, so you have to stay 1 minute longer every day this week".
I stared at her because I had no idea if she was serious.

She was.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
That's why she makes the big bucks!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

shut up blegum posted:

Years ago I came back from lunch with some colleagues and our teamleader came over and told us: "Well, you were 5 minutes late, so you have to stay 1 minute longer every day this week".
I stared at her because I had no idea if she was serious.

She was.

Its statements like this that make me very glad ive picked apart our employee handbook. I got into an argument with hr once where they insisted they don't pay for work related travel on the weekend, and the director remarked that he's had that argument with his own employees in HR before and that I was wrong. I found they had literally just copy pasted the policy from the FMLA, read to him the correct interpretation of FMLA, and pointed out in my official job description where it says I'm not exempt from the FMLA. He never responded to my email, I never went to the training, and he quit shortly after

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wtf! I went to the far bathroom to take a poo poo and someone was in my usual stall. There's maybe 5 dudes on this floor. Come on!

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Starting in the new year, the higher ups in IT decided that everyone on our team (Deskside support, not any other IT group) now have to meet daily/weekly ticket quotas.

Problem is, despite having, functionally, 3 managers of the deskside team, we self-assign tickets. And as anyone can tell you, not all tickets are equal, and we ALL know the guys who just F5 that queue till they see a real easy one and assign it to themselves.

And then there's the two guys who never really look at the queue, because they've convinced whole departments to bypass the internal IT policy and directly submit tickets to them, rather than use our online portal or call the helpdesk. So they get tickets that would normally go to the helpdesk (lowest level IT, mostly offshore, the deskside team I'm on is basically one level above that) . Things like "account is locked" or "please reset my password."

Before it was just a nuisance, but now, with the stupid quotes, there's infighting with people getting mad if you "steal" their ticket, others literally doing Make-Work and creating tickets out of whole cloth, or basically splitting what is really 1 tickets into 2 or 3, etc...

You should assign yourself a ticket each day called, "work queue triage" so it's clear the time you spend watching the the ticket queue is counted as work.

At my last job we worked out of a ticket queue that they based our metrics off of so I created tickets anytime I had meetings, anytime I had to do any HR housekeeping like benefits enrollment or mandatory training, anytime my manager would ask me to look into something or chime in on a conversation. We also started instructing the business to please create a new ticket for each "ask" so if they were like, "this report is broken, could you let us know what happened and also could you fix it and then make sure it distributes to the distro list?" we'd be like, "hey bud that's three tickets. Please submit a new request for the fix and a new request for the off cycle report run. Thanks"
One day I managed to close 70 tickets doing this and brought that up during my review. Suddenly tickets in/out wasn't the best performance metric.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hasturtium posted:

I was working at a company that hired a new employee and paid for all of his licensing expenses and gave him 2 extra weeks of PTO s he could study for the licensing exam. He quit about 8 months later because the manager he was assigned to work under was a total rear end in a top hat micromanager (but didn’t get her own work done and then would piecemeal it out to her subordinates to complete in unrealistic timeframes, and was very nasty overall in how she spoke to subordinates).

I remember I was having lunch with some other coworkers a few days after the guy quit and the coworkers were complaining about how he “took advantage of the company by getting them to pay for his licensing, etc. and then just quitting out of nowhere?!?” It was like Stockholm syndrome or something. My only comment was “right, like management wouldn’t fire each and everyone of us out of a cannon into the sun if it would make them $5 more profit. It’s not like the money is coming out of your pocket, so who cares”. Most were still indignant after my comment, but there were a couple I could see mulling it over in their heads. I quit that job soon thereafter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

dick wizard posted:

You should assign yourself a ticket each day called, "work queue triage" so it's clear the time you spend watching the the ticket queue is counted as work.

At my last job we worked out of a ticket queue that they based our metrics off of so I created tickets anytime I had meetings, anytime I had to do any HR housekeeping like benefits enrollment or mandatory training, anytime my manager would ask me to look into something or chime in on a conversation. We also started instructing the business to please create a new ticket for each "ask" so if they were like, "this report is broken, could you let us know what happened and also could you fix it and then make sure it distributes to the distro list?" we'd be like, "hey bud that's three tickets. Please submit a new request for the fix and a new request for the off cycle report run. Thanks"
One day I managed to close 70 tickets doing this and brought that up during my review. Suddenly tickets in/out wasn't the best performance metric.

When I was interviewing, the boss asked me what I thought the best way to measure success was in a job, and I cited Goodheart's Law and said my current boss does a really good thing where she calls up random people whose tickets I've closed to ask how I did (I'm internal IT, so these are all my fellow employees), and literally just said "if you tell me to close more tickets, I can definitely increase the number of tickets I close without really increasing the amount/quality of my work."

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

titty_baby_ posted:

I always feel anxious before our weekly check in meetings because I'm worried ill be scrutinized too closely for how I've been spending my time while working remote. Its never been an issue before but hey, tell my brain that

Tetramin posted:

lol I get the same feeling. I definitely get at least the same amount of work done since I’ve been WFH. But instead of wasting time in the ways you do it at the office, I watch TV or whatever so it feels weird.

Big mood right here. I always have to come up with some kind of manufactured and unique situation to ask my boss about. "So I've been getting a lot of calls about X, what do you think we should tell them, blah blah blah" "Sounds good, I'll send them an email once I hear back". I feel like I'm writing extra lines in a high school essay to stretch out the word length because the reality is always the same: I answer a few phone calls, I respond to a few emails, I play games and watch youtube the rest of the time. The only difference is now I do the latter instead of just lightly tapping my keyboard in my cubicle so that my boss hears the faint click-click-click and *thinks* that I'm working on something.

Luckily, my lovely new coworker always says the exact same thing ("gonna work on accounts and just do the same 'ol same 'ol") and the rest of our department and boss just kind of have an awkward silence as once again, new lovely coworker continues for another week of not actually trying to learn how to do any new work at all. That makes me look like I'm trying so big thumbs up from me.

teen witch posted:

Vent alert!!!

A manager, to me, today: “you basically come in, put your headphones in, do your work and speak as little as possible. You don’t say good morning or you’re leaving for the day and you’re very negative and cold”

I’m not here to make friends and I’m not paid to be nice. I’m paid to do my job and do it well, and my actual manager, along with HQ, seem pretty pleased with what I do. I don’t have time for run around sales nonsense which, when me and only one other person aren’t sales, and everyone else is, I don’t know what to tell you?

To play devil's advocate a little on this one, as someone else said, I understand now that a certain degree of approachability and acknowledgement of others in a shared space is expected as basically a job requirement, maybe in a review you'll get a "works well as a team" section score or something along those lines. I used to do the same thing when I was working at a restaurant in college. I was pretty shy at the time for some reason and I wouldn't say hello to all my coworkers, I'd just show up and start working and say hello to people as I saw them if they said hello to me first, and I got kind of a reputation of just being a non-person. I did a good job but I didn't give off a sense of being a trustable human. For what it's worth, I don't really care about those niceties and if everyone else just showed up and did their work and didn't say hi to me, I wouldn't really care, but I get it now that this kind of attitude just isn't the norm for most Americans. I can't say whether or not it was a sexist thing or not, but I'm a dude and I've gotten the same thing from male and female managers.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Greeting people politely or having short conversations with them in response to something they said is fine, but I don't think that's what these office busybodies want. They want a lot more than that, which is the issue. Like someone mentioned that attitude is also really common in jobs that have poor work-life balance, they want to make the workplace your combination job and friend network.

I don't want that though. I want to go to work, do my job so I get paid, go home and not think about it at all until it's time to drag myself back in. I like the people at my job but they aren't my friends and I don't want them to be.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oh yeah I'm completely with you on that one, I have no desire for the people I work with to be my friends either, but I also have to recognize that the majority of the people I work with, at least, don't see it like that. We have some serious Office Tinas and Karens and some guys who are company-men through and through and unfortunately you gotta play the game sometimes by saying "hi" in the mornings because it'll save you from getting poo poo later.

It's a stupid trade off but :capitalism:

I've said it before but I truly hope my boss realizes that our department has functioned just as well from home as it has from the office and tests the waters in a few months with the rest of us and asks if we think we'll be okay just going permanently remote. That would be a dream come true.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

quote:

ERP Software

In a stroke of unbelievable luck, I snagged a software analyst position near the end of 2019. And hoo boy, if you think the frontends of various forms of ERP software are bad, the backends are usually several orders of magnitude worse. Especially Higher-Ed ERP software. A lot of this software DOES NOT talk to each other very well at all, so the integrations are built in house. Thankfully we shelled out for a proper integration tool now, but a lot of the old integrations are nigh-indecipherable perl scripts. It can often feel more like archeology than software development.

Still, as bad as the software is at times, I have no right to complain too much, my coworkers are great and I get to play the integration equivalent of Pipe Dream from home. :toot:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AHH F/UGH posted:

Big mood right here. I always have to come up with some kind of manufactured and unique situation to ask my boss about. "So I've been getting a lot of calls about X, what do you think we should tell them, blah blah blah" "Sounds good, I'll send them an email once I hear back". I feel like I'm writing extra lines in a high school essay to stretch out the word length because the reality is always the same: I answer a few phone calls, I respond to a few emails, I play games and watch youtube the rest of the time. The only difference is now I do the latter instead of just lightly tapping my keyboard in my cubicle so that my boss hears the faint click-click-click and *thinks* that I'm working on something.

Lol in my current position I'm unfortunately the one asking people on these calls what they're doing and having done this before myself I can only :hmmyes: when someone who I know is generally busy throughout the day pulls this out for me unless I know they're actually not pulling their weight. I always thought of George from Seinfeld writing down a bunch of talking points for when he calls his mother so he has topics to discuss and keep the conversation moving along.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have a link to the video where, in a town hall style meeting, HR tries to get everyone to get up and start dancing? I've looked around YouTube and can't find it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

explosivo posted:

Lol in my current position I'm unfortunately the one asking people on these calls what they're doing and having done this before myself I can only :hmmyes: when someone who I know is generally busy throughout the day pulls this out for me unless I know they're actually not pulling their weight. I always thought of George from Seinfeld writing down a bunch of talking points for when he calls his mother so he has topics to discuss and keep the conversation moving along.

lol I figure my boss knows as much the way I'm tossing him these softballs to knock out of the park, but again it's still probably better than "oh ya know, same ol' same ol'..........................." to which my boss says "...Alright. Well let's wrap this one up, I'll talk to everyone on Friday". Plus it's obviously if anyone sees our department's slack channel that it's me costantly going "I'll respond to [guy]" and "I'll grab this renewal" and stuff, so he humors me enough to make it seem like I'm not cheesing it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

To play devil's advocate a little on this one, as someone else said, I understand now that a certain degree of approachability and acknowledgement of others in a shared space is expected as basically a job requirement, maybe in a review you'll get a "works well as a team" section score or something along those lines. I used to do the same thing when I was working at a restaurant in college. I was pretty shy at the time for some reason and I wouldn't say hello to all my coworkers, I'd just show up and start working and say hello to people as I saw them if they said hello to me first, and I got kind of a reputation of just being a non-person. I did a good job but I didn't give off a sense of being a trustable human. For what it's worth, I don't really care about those niceties and if everyone else just showed up and did their work and didn't say hi to me, I wouldn't really care, but I get it now that this kind of attitude just isn't the norm for most Americans. I can't say whether or not it was a sexist thing or not, but I'm a dude and I've gotten the same thing from male and female managers.

Well here’s the complication - I’m American and I work in an office with people from all over the world, though the majority is mostly British. And like I feel that I’m fairly integrated among the rest of the office, people know who I am, what I do, and things about me, I just don’t trip over myself to greet everyone in the morning like a preschool teacher. My colleagues have little hesitation talking to me for things they need (or vice versa!) or who to talk to and I’ll chit chat with them no issue about some things. They’ll ask me about American politics or we joke about dumb things from the 90s. I’ll say hey in the kitchen area or look at pics of their kids.

There is another factor I touched on, is the fact that it’s a sales office and I’m not sales. My office is 98 percent sales. The company I work for is about 60-70 percent salespeople, and there has always been an unspoken but verrrry strong undercurrent sales vs non sales tension, as sales gets most of the glory for bringing in revenue and we uh, clean up after their messes at times. We chase them down to assist us when we need it. We hold them to standards set and rules and what is and is not feasible. This isn’t just limited my office, this is a global company culture. We aren’t told anything until sales decides we need to know (which in our line of work is loving terrible as we need to plan poo poo way in advance), we have fairly low salaries compared to our counterparts in other companies, we cannot hire new people without begging and screaming and replacing someone when they leave? Ahahahaha - but sales can hire and fire pretty much whenever and get as much commission and bonuses as possible, achievements lauded intracompany are VASTLY sales focused. I dislike using this dynamic but sales are the dads that take you to Disney and we’re the moms who make you eat veggies.

God the more I type it out the less crazy in my head it feels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My job requires me to enter a bunch of numbers into a system to audit the spend. The client decided they want to audit the numbers themselves so I have to load the numbers into a second different system. The second system uses different rules and tracks things slightly differently so if you were to pull up reports from each side by side they wouldn't match and each one would have different numbers and metrics than the other.

The solution to this was to create a third report.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Why do IT nerds love Linux so much?

It’s a 500kb daemon in a 14 year old body

Verbose error logging. Most *nix based poo poo will tell you where you hosed up meanwhile you’ll eventually find the fix for a pure windows 2019 error in a 5 year old Reddit post about Citrix comparability with AD.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

My job requires me to enter a bunch of numbers into a system to audit the spend. The client decided they want to audit the numbers themselves so I have to load the numbers into a second different system. The second system uses different rules and tracks things slightly differently so if you were to pull up reports from each side by side they wouldn't match and each one would have different numbers and metrics than the other.

sweet lord are you me

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Outrail posted:

I think it's pretty obvious after 'a bunch' of people have been vaccinated the majority of people will shout hooray we're done and Covid will be over. After that noone else will need to get vaccinated or wear masks coz we've got that heard immunity they read about it on Facebook and they'll get back to licking each others eyeballs.

It's gonna own when stores and public places flip the switch way too soon back to "no masks allowed for security reasons" and you have to make the choice between getting arrested or getting COVID. :shepicide:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

sweet lord are you me

If you had to call someone half-way across the globe to verify what were supposed to be reporting about two weeks ago and they still haven't answered and you're wondering if they died, yes.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Barudak posted:

You have my deepest sympathies, you may be stuck in a modern Mullah Nasruddin fable.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

teen witch posted:

Well here’s the complication - I’m American and I work in an office with people from all over the world, though the majority is mostly British. And like I feel that I’m fairly integrated among the rest of the office, people know who I am, what I do, and things about me, I just don’t trip over myself to greet everyone in the morning like a preschool teacher. My colleagues have little hesitation talking to me for things they need (or vice versa!) or who to talk to and I’ll chit chat with them no issue about some things. They’ll ask me about American politics or we joke about dumb things from the 90s. I’ll say hey in the kitchen area or look at pics of their kids.

There is another factor I touched on, is the fact that it’s a sales office and I’m not sales. My office is 98 percent sales. The company I work for is about 60-70 percent salespeople, and there has always been an unspoken but verrrry strong undercurrent sales vs non sales tension, as sales gets most of the glory for bringing in revenue and we uh, clean up after their messes at times. We chase them down to assist us when we need it. We hold them to standards set and rules and what is and is not feasible. This isn’t just limited my office, this is a global company culture. We aren’t told anything until sales decides we need to know (which in our line of work is loving terrible as we need to plan poo poo way in advance), we have fairly low salaries compared to our counterparts in other companies, we cannot hire new people without begging and screaming and replacing someone when they leave? Ahahahaha - but sales can hire and fire pretty much whenever and get as much commission and bonuses as possible, achievements lauded intracompany are VASTLY sales focused. I dislike using this dynamic but sales are the dads that take you to Disney and we’re the moms who make you eat veggies.

God the more I type it out the less crazy in my head it feels.

The reality is, it's probably somewhere in the middle and not really as bad as they think it is. If you're being pleasant when hit you up and you do a decent job, it really shouldn't matter and there's nothing they can do to like, fire you or something.

I sit in a corner cubicle with one side cut out so that people can see around the corner as they're walking which means I get a lot of random people who just stop at my cube and talk. I get people who I literally don't know at all that walk past my desk and just stop to talk to me. I'll usually humor them because I don't have poo poo to do anyways. Other times I just ignore them and don't make eye contact even though I can tell they're kind of angling for someone to blab with. I really don't care what they have to say and would prefer if they just walked past and left me alone. That said, if I did that too much I know I'd be labeled a cold, uncaring freak weirdo by the people who work around me, and the people who are in my department would see that pattern too.

These days I definitely go out of my way to do the uncomfortable thing and make sure be the first person to greet everyone if I hear them in their cube. I'll call out "Hey [manager's name], mornin'!" or whatever across the cubicle wall, even though I kind of have to swallow a lump in my throat and mentally prepare for it. I know this sounds I'm an extremely weak loser and like I'm a huge pansy, but it's more just that I hate having to alter my natural instinct of just shutting up and getting on, and instead have to force this greeting out.

It also has the added bonus of taking the pressure off of others who may also feel the same way about doing it. It's a tiny "sacrifice" but it seems to be enough to trick people into thinking I care, like making coffee for the office in the morning or something.

Of course I'm not trying to give anyone lessons in basic human decency because I figure this is all obvious to everyone here, but it's just how I've approached it since I didn't know better and how it's (seemingly) worked out for me as someone who in the past was called out as being not a team player for just doing my job and then leaving.

Anyways, thanks for reading about my insanely pathetic work habits and my struggles with being able to say hello to people I've known for years. Thanks for attending my fully nude TED talk and my god bless your mess.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 10, 2021

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tetramin posted:

lol I get the same feeling. I definitely get at least the same amount of work done since I’ve been WFH. But instead of wasting time in the ways you do it at the office, I watch TV or whatever so it feels weird.

My productivity went up when I went WFH. At first I thought I needed office structure to keep me on task however the ability to just say gently caress it and take a power enhancing nap allows me to blow through poo poo I’d struggle to do in office. Before I tackle a major multi hour task I’ll suck down a cup of coffee, Chuck my weighted blanket over me and zone out or nap for 20 minutes. Then I turn into a solutions cannon. At work I’d slowly drain the cup, get distracted by assholes, get frustrated by that and get maybe half of it done.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

titty_baby_ posted:

"get out while you can because if you work here too long you might not be able to function in a normal workplace"

this happened to me

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]
As a result of a re-org devised by madman, I report to three separate directors. They all scheme against each other and refuse to speak to the other two directors.

Generally, they tell me to pay lip service to the other director’s objectives and focus on their projects.

It’s like Office Space without Jennifer Aniston.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

genericuser posted:

As a result of a re-org devised by madman, I report to three separate directors. They all scheme against each other and refuse to speak to the other two directors.

Generally, they tell me to pay lip service to the other director’s objectives and focus on their projects.

This way you can screw up the KPIs of three teams at once. I call that efficiency!

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Len posted:

My company is owned by chuds who believe this is no different than the flu

Jesus, at least my company understands science and has very strict Covid procedures

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Workaday Wizard posted:

This way you can screw up the KPIs of three teams at once. I call that efficiency!

Apparently, reporting lines are sooo last century.

We are forbidden from talking about who we report to or mentioning reporting lines. I am not making this up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The IT head is located in an entirely different country and time zone. We have no one for IT here, we have to call in a third party to come in and fix things, and ask me about having no internet for the next twenty min.

We used to have an admin here and he asked for a raise comparable to what other admins are paid in this city. He was denied, and he left for greener pastures three years ago. We hired no one to replace him. I’ve asked several times for someone to be hired so we don’t have patchwork garbage going on. Usually the IT head guy in HQ (again, continents away) will WhatsApp me or the office manager for things to be fixed and this is like, much higher tier IT work that I know little of. This takes away hours from my job as the infrastructure is super patchwork and collapsing

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

genericuser posted:

We reorged at my company too to save money and become more cost efficient. The general staffing structure is frontline-> supervisor -> department manager -> director -> VP. We have many department managers and directors without reports. They don't fire or demote people. They keep cutting down frontline and having sections do more with less but high six figure salaried managers remain around for "special projects" or other nonsense. These are people that should have very many reports under them. We have an anonymous reporting ability in our corrective action system where frontline employees keep pointing this out but they keep getting closed lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

genericuser posted:

Apparently, reporting lines are sooo last century.

We are forbidden from talking about who we report to or mentioning reporting lines. I am not making this up.

Narcotics gang? Espionage agency? Some kind of pretend holacracy?