Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So will my tesla start mining bitcoins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
And CRSR is now in the green (black?) again.

I used this opportunity to double my investments in the company and purchased another stock when it was lower than the initial repurchase point. Already made more money then what I lost from the repurchase at ten cents more.

Make lemonade and all that.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
monster fomo today on not buying more weed stocks

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Can I transfer my fractions of shares into TD? How do I avoid the cost while transferring RH to TD?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

pixaal posted:

I see 2 plays with NDRA, hold for the FDA approval (everything now is noise) or buy in now and wait for it to return to $2.80 - $3.00 where it was before the general market pull back that was caused by hedge funds selling big names like Apple to fund touching the GME poop (or getting out of a short with it) Whatever narrative you want to believe there GME went up indexes went down.

With indexes down people start to pull money out of speculative things. Market is red today, so people are worried about their speculative NDRA investment. You should be paying attention to the general market number other people are and are taking actions based on it. Without looking much into them as a company I think a return to near $3 is likely unless they get an FDA rejection(or approval, but that will send it way up). I don't see any red flags or any reason to believe the dip was anything but an outside influence and happen to have a good guess at what it was. (I could have missed some red flags obviously)

Basically decide if you are a true believer or want to make back what you put in and leave the rest on a ticket to the moon (and the spaceship might explode because it's untested), or if you just want to scalp some money. Scalping is a perfectly viable way to play bio where your risk is news of a disaster during a trial and are looking to unload when hype of trial results near (then buy more on a tank when they need to run another one). I'm not someone that plays bio normally but I'm sure there's someone ITT that plays them and can give actual resources.

You of course can play bio as only moon shots and buy in during hype hoping for that +200% pop, but at that point you need a good Win:Loss so I hope you know how to read between the lines for bullshit in medical documents.
the market just hit new all time highs... the indexes are not down. speculative things are going up up up lately. small and microcaps are up huge for 2021. the russell microcap index is at all time highs and going vertical

anyone who invests in these low cap biotech companies needs to understand that they were usually cash-strapped and losing money, so they tend to dilute shares by offering new shares to the market, which acts as downward pressure on the stock price. if a biotech company gets good news (like FDA approval, or good data from a drug trial, or whatever), they will often run for a bit and then the company will raise money by offering shares, and the price will fall. maybe not to where it was before the good news, but often well below the high of its reaction to the good news

i don't know anything about this company at all but i just want to put that out there because it's one of the risks of investing in small biotech companies. they can go 500% in a short period of time but remember, it goes both ways. they can get bad news, like FDA rejection or whatever

i don't want to dissuade anyone from taking risks--lord knows i take a lot of risk with my day trading. just want people to know about the risks

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 9, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

get me HQ! posted:

monster fomo today on not buying more weed stocks

Was there some kind of news?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Was there some kind of news?

They announced the release date for Weed 2

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drunken officeparty posted:

They announced the release date for Weed 2

What about the DLC schedule?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Uranium 235 posted:

the market just hit new all time highs... the indexes are not down. speculative things are going up up up lately. small and microcaps are up huge for 2021. the russell microcap index is at all time highs and going vertical

anyone who invests in these low cap biotech companies needs to understand that they were usually cash-strapped and losing money, so they tend to dilute shares by offering new shares to the market, which acts as downward pressure on the stock price. if a biotech company gets good news (like FDA approval, or good data from a drug trial, or whatever), they will often run for a bit and then the company will raise money by offering shares, and the price will fall. maybe not to where it was before the good news, but often well below the high of its reaction to the good news

i don't know anything about this company at all but i just want to put that out there because it's one of the risks of investing in small biotech companies. they can go 500% in a short period of time but remember, it goes both ways. they can get bad news, like FDA rejection or whatever

i don't want to dissuade anyone from taking risks--lord knows i take a lot of risk with my day trading. just want people to know about the risks

NDRA dipped the same time the market did when GME was spiking. I wasn't saying it is currently dipping. Good to have more info on how bio works with extra offerings. This makes perfect sense and wasn't something I was factoring in.

No one in this thread is going to tell you what bet to make, they will help you make an informed bet though. Or that's how it usually plays out. Telling someone what to bet means you are doing it for them and are at fault when things go badly making you feel bad. No one wants that.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is today the squeezening?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

So will my tesla start mining bitcoins?

People have been making jokes that they do for many years, due to the relatively high power consumption when sitting still.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What did I miss? My THCX is up 12.3%

Did Biden legalize it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Framboise posted:

I'll look into the investment thread. Thanks, everyone. Sorry if I disrupted the thread with unrelated questions.

This is a loose thread, I don't think apologies are needed. Good luck out there, and do post in the investment thread.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm not sure what is going on with weed stocks but glad I took a gamble and stacked up on SNDL calls last week.

pschoy
Mar 2, 2009
Make the weed tweet Musk you bitch

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

pschoy posted:

e: Every time I sold APHA or SNDL I wound up buying back in at a slightly higher price because I'm an idiot who shouldn't play this game

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Really wish I'd grabbed some Tilray this morning when it was moving pre-market

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I remember reading an article somewhere that cannabis is as easy to grow at scale as tea or tobacco. Imagine a 3 ounce box of Lipton weed costing like $5

For now I'll take my big gains on weed stonks though

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

pschoy posted:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: Every time I sold APHA or SNDL I wound up buying back in at a slightly higher price because I'm an idiot who shouldn't play this game

Sounds like you should be trimming instead of exiting and trying to juggle the falling knives. Sell part of your position not all of it, then when you have paid off your initial investment you can let the winnings ride without anywhere near as much stress it's all fun money until you realize the gain, and then it's all winnings even if it tanks! (Because you already took your entry price off the table).

The other nice thing about a trim is it puts it in your active list not just a watchlist which makes it easier to take advantage of a sudden dip and add to the position.

Trimming is mostly a strategy for avoiding tilt and keeping a level head. Exiting and entering full positions is probably min/max optimal but you are not a robot.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LawfulWaffle posted:

Same here, but I've always sold at a profit. I miss out on some of the upside but I'm ok with it. The only downside is that I'm making all these small taxable events.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Syrinxx posted:

I remember reading an article somewhere that cannabis is as easy to grow at scale as tea or tobacco. Imagine a 3 ounce box of Lipton weed costing like $5

It's better than that.

In the right conditions (basically every non-desert area of the globe between Nashville and Buenos Aires) weed will grow almost as fast as bamboo and scrubs 12 times as much carbon from the air as trees do, pound for pound.

We outlawed the solution to climate change during the industrial revolution, lmao.

As for farming for consumable strains, my friend's parents own a weed farm in Maine and they literally work 5 days a year. Scatter seed day, harvest day, package day, second harvest day, second package day. $120,000 in profits from a lovely farm on lovely land in a frozen part of the country.

It's a license to print money that can literally end climate change (won't fix the poisoned oceans though lol).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's better than that.

In the right conditions (basically every non-desert area of the globe between Nashville and Buenos Aires) weed will grow almost as fast as bamboo and scrubs 12 times as much carbon from the air as trees do, pound for pound.

We outlawed the solution to climate change during the industrial revolution, lmao.

As for farming for consumable strains, my friend's parents own a weed farm in Maine and they literally work 5 days a year. Scatter seed day, harvest day, package day, second harvest day, second package day. $120,000 in profits from a lovely farm on lovely land in a frozen part of the country.

It's a license to print money that can literally end climate change (won't fix the poisoned oceans though lol).

Huh... I might have to do some reading.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Syrinxx posted:

The retail price of an ounce has fallen from $400 to $40 in the last 8 years, and even that $40 is mostly licensing and registration fees so yeah its happening. Commercial growers are already achieving $25-40 lbs so without all the legal hoops to jump through you could be seeing prices like that right now.

this really isn't an exaggeration at all

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Speaking of weed stocks, does anyone like GRWG?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

2021: Weed and Ammo.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/StockCats/status/1359210162976944132?s=20

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Speaking of weed stocks, does anyone like GRWG?

numberoneposter posted:

2021: Weed and Ammo.

I bought into POWW and GRWG in Nov and they're both up over 100%

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL if you're not spending all your money on weed.

You're never going to be a serious stock trading adult if weed isn't life.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Please oh please mighty market gods! Crash this poo poo now, I can't stand it!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 10, 2021

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

pixaal posted:

Sounds like you should be trimming instead of exiting and trying to juggle the falling knives. Sell part of your position not all of it, then when you have paid off your initial investment you can let the winnings ride without anywhere near as much stress it's all fun money until you realize the gain, and then it's all winnings even if it tanks! (Because you already took your entry price off the table).

The other nice thing about a trim is it puts it in your active list not just a watchlist which makes it easier to take advantage of a sudden dip and add to the position.

Trimming is mostly a strategy for avoiding tilt and keeping a level head. Exiting and entering full positions is probably min/max optimal but you are not a robot.

I think I need to do this as well but it's so hard hitting the sell button... But if I'd been smart and done this every time I was itching to in weedstocks I'd have been mortgage free at 30, instead I got greedy and let them sit. I'd basically written off all the money I had in weed as gone, or maybe it'll be break even 5-10 years from now. My APH gains alone in the last two weeks are now at 240%, and equal to what I make in a year from my regular job. I only noticed this poo poo because I opened my brokerage app to see if they were still allowing trading GME, I wasn't even going to buy I was just interested, and I hadn't looked at it for like 8 or 9 months before that.

I think I just need to pull out my initial investment and leave the rest, as you suggested, but watch it dip hard on open tomorrow. I'm not actually 100% sure if pulling your initial investment out counts as a taxable gain in the UK which I need to check. If it does I'll be selling IAN too (which went up 30% today - that's only 0.08 SP increase but honestly, the company is bankrupt and the stock is dead. Who the gently caress is buying!?)

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I originally bought shares of TLRY @ 60 a share in 2019. I proceeded to watch it drop steadily over the course of year .... then the market crashed in 2020. From there I bought at like $6 each in March 2020 and again at $7.50 in July 2020. Average cost is about $13 a share and today it's up to $41 a share.

Part of me wants to take the money and run but the other part is screaming MOON. I have no idea what to do but in the meantime it's FUN.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

As someone who's done trimming in Maine, I call bullshit on the bolded parts

A decent "small" grow op has about 20 trees, and ideally speaking, you can grow them out in the open, you want to grow them under a climate controlled housing, to regulate temperature, humidity, maximize gains, etc. Too often can a nice windy and wet couple of days rot your bud and uproot/damage some major branches.

You also have to baby them, a lot, it's more than 5 days a year. It's, wake up in the morning, check on them for rot, spray them to keep the bugs away, make sure to fertilize them, trim away the junk to make sure they don't stagnate growing, etc It's a full time job during the grow season.

Then, during the trim season, you need several people, and the space to trim, and then dry the weed. Like, one tree can take five people a few hours of time, if not all day, especially if the weed ends up needing a lot of fan leaves cut off, this is usually done by hand. The other thing to consider is sometimes, when the trees are ready, they are ready right then and there and if the tree doesn't come down soon, all the bud will have rotted and be wasted.

You also can't shortcut it by just sticking it in the bud trimmers you can buy, because the fan leaves will often times jam the trimmers after a while, and it tends to look uglier if you don't pre-trim it, which effects the potential sale price. I suppose it doesn't matter if you just want wax or shatter or oil or tincture, where appearance doesn't matter. There's also clean up to consider, and storing the cut bud so it dries out in a temperature controlled humidity climate to again fight mold and this takes time too.

20 plants can take an entire month or two of trimming, which is good money for even the trimmers if you use it as a side hustle. $20 an hour is nothing to sneeze at.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Syrinxx posted:

I remember reading an article somewhere that cannabis is as easy to grow at scale as tea or tobacco.

There's a reason it's called "weed": because it grows like one. :ssh:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Invest in weed suppositories, I hear it’s getting real popular with the kids

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It is a license to print money as long as the supply is constrained. Once supply restrictions go away you can see farmers planting thousands of acres to render down for the component parts and it will be something that gets priced like soybeans or corn.

But we’ve also had this discussion in the thread before and greenhouses give you better genetic control of your artisanal strains and let you pump up the CO2 around the plants while hitting them with 24/7 grow lights.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Which of the current weedstocks is best placed to become a mass producer with the economies of scale needed to make money in a future, more competitive weed market?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As someone who's done trimming in Maine, I call bullshit on the bolded parts

A decent "small" grow op has about 20 trees, and ideally speaking, you can grow them out in the open, you want to grow them under a climate controlled housing, to regulate temperature, humidity, maximize gains, etc. Too often can a nice windy and wet couple of days rot your bud and uproot/damage some major branches.

You also have to baby them, a lot, it's more than 5 days a year. It's, wake up in the morning, check on them for rot, spray them to keep the bugs away, make sure to fertilize them, trim away the junk to make sure they don't stagnate growing, etc It's a full time job during the grow season.

Then, during the trim season, you need several people, and the space to trim, and then dry the weed. Like, one tree can take five people a few hours of time, if not all day, especially if the weed ends up needing a lot of fan leaves cut off, this is usually done by hand. The other thing to consider is sometimes, when the trees are ready, they are ready right then and there and if the tree doesn't come down soon, all the bud will have rotted and be wasted.

You also can't shortcut it by just sticking it in the bud trimmers you can buy, because the fan leaves will often times jam the trimmers after a while, and it tends to look uglier if you don't pre-trim it, which effects the potential sale price. I suppose it doesn't matter if you just want wax or shatter or oil or tincture, where appearance doesn't matter. There's also clean up to consider, and storing the cut bud so it dries out in a temperature controlled humidity climate to again fight mold and this takes time too.

20 plants can take an entire month or two of trimming, which is good money for even the trimmers if you use it as a side hustle. $20 an hour is nothing to sneeze at.

Sir, this is America. No one gives a poo poo how hard the laborers work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

gay picnic defence posted:

Which of the current weedstocks is best placed to become a mass producer with the economies of scale needed to make money in a future, more competitive weed market?

TheStreet told me Trulieve > Sundial, seems like the better long play for now even if pot numbers are all going up lately

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/buy-trulieve-cannabis-not-sundial-growers