Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The new armor mods are weird because they seem to rely on getting elemental kills that match your subclass, but this makes it kind of useless for Stasis builds (since there's no Stasis weapons to use). But the mods do seem like they could lead to very high uptime for abilities on the other subclasses (for PvE, the mods don't seem useful for PvP but I think that's expected).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Paracelsus posted:

Demolitionist's reload ability now has a cooldown, probably to prevent rocket/sunbracer shenanigans.

:smith:

Ok...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

Season pass armour with stats in the 40s. Guess this is a lounging in the HELM set?!
Make sure you leave a set in the season pass until you've unlocked all of the bonuses. I had a complete set of 75 stat armour last season, and boy howdy did it fuckin help with everything.

E: nope.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 9, 2021

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Make sure you leave a set in the season pass until you've unlocked all of the bonuses. I had a complete set of 75 stat armour last season, and boy howdy did it fuckin help with everything.

Wait what?

How does that work?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homeboy misunderstanding what the perk for bonus armor energy means

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don’t understand the parts in the patch notes about weapons not dropping when they’ve reached their maximum power. Anyone know what that’s about?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mattavist posted:

I don’t understand the parts in the patch notes about weapons not dropping when they’ve reached their maximum power. Anyone know what that’s about?

This season's cap is 1310. Any weapons with a 1310 cap will no longer drop.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wait what?

How does that work?
Last season at least some of the season pass bonuses included things like 'season armour will drop with higher stats' and ' gauntlets will drop with +10 stats.'

If you wait until you've unlocked all of those, picking them up from the season pass track counts as a drop and affects the stats.

Someone also said they drop at pinnacle+1, so you should always wait until you hit the powerful cap to pick them up anyway.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 9, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Homeboy misunderstanding what the perk for bonus armor energy means
Posdibly, all I know is I had a full set of 75 stat armour, so I'm either the luckiest motherfucker in the world (unlikely) or it's because I waited until the bonuses were unlocked.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Last season at least some of the season pass bonuses included things like 'season armour will drop with higher stats' and ' gauntlets will drop with +10 stats.'

If you wait until you've unlocked all of those, picking them up from the season pass track counts as a drop and affects the stats.

Someone also said they drop at pinnacle+1, so you should always wait until you hit the powerful cap to pick them up anyway.

I never knew that worked...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No. There's a perk where your seasonal armor will drop at Masterwork Level 5 instead of Masterwork Level 3.

The season track gives you three sets of seasonal armor, and they are always "At Level" so there's no benefit to waiting to collect them. If you're 1201 they're 1201. If you're 1259 they're 1259. Use them to patch an armor slot that's lagging in power, though.

The sets include
-all 48 stats
-mid-range stats
-high stats

And they're all fixed. Their stat values will never change, regardless of if you collect them right now or the last second of the season at Rank 420

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh, ok. So the first ones are low stat, the second set you get are medium and the 3rd are high stat?

I'll go back and edit then, I was under the impression that it was worth waiting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, ok. So the first ones are low stat, the second set you get are medium and the 3rd are high stat?

I'll go back and edit then, I was under the impression that it was worth waiting.

Yee! Your 75-stat gear was presumably the third set and had a +10 mod in them

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Charlemagne_Bot/status/1359241513318813696

Game... not dead?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's almost like something new came out

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's a bold post to make on day 1 for sure. The new content seems abysmal, and any time bungie drops a ton of OP guns it usually means they know the activities are real stinkers

True Prophecy is in the banshee engram pool, PROBABLY BY ACCIDENT. It's a 1310 cap so it shouldn't be dropping per today's patch notes. Get one ASAP because they will absolutely yoink it back out

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Don't really get the new exotic bow. Just made me want to bust out Trinity Ghoul.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Don't really get the new exotic bow. Just made me want to bust out Trinity Ghoul.

Hip fire tracking arrows, then either aim down sights or swtich to another gun. Get the kill either of those ways and it basically procs dragonfly

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Roman posted:

sent join request to Serious Overchill [SNEK]

Gotchu. Make sure you join the Discord as well. We don't use clan chat very often except for saying "butt" or stupid poo poo like that.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Man, there is a lot to like in this patch. It's not like... omg everything is fixed... but they've made a few really cool changes, and the stasis stuff in pvp might be extremely good.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Siege dancers... Broken."

Nice.

One thing I can say for certain is that Blood in the Water is certainly a pro buy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hip fire tracking arrows, then either aim down sights or swtich to another gun. Get the kill either of those ways and it basically procs dragonfly

SOoooooo, hip-fire a bunch then right click to make them all explode.

Sounds fun. Can't wait to try it when I get off of work and see if explosive head-shot damage differs from body shot explosive damage.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Siege dancers... Broken."

Nice.

One thing I can say for certain is that Blood in the Water is certainly a pro buy.

I need this in my life.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's a bold post to make on day 1 for sure. The new content seems abysmal, and any time bungie drops a ton of OP guns it usually means they know the activities are real stinkers

True Prophecy is in the banshee engram pool, PROBABLY BY ACCIDENT. It's a 1310 cap so it shouldn't be dropping per today's patch notes. Get one ASAP because they will absolutely yoink it back out

Thanks for the heads up, I managed to snag exactly one in thousands of gunsmith material turn ins, but it was rangfinder/explosive payload so Banshee and I are still cool :blaster:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Your 1060 loot is now 1100 with an infusion limit of 1060.

Power level is weird

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Anyone else getting constant crashes since the update? Seems going to Europa and doing anything will cause a freeze to crash. New stasis ability or just poo poo coding?

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I was crashing every time I started a patrol and Variks' voice came on.

e: just crashed while doing a public event in the Dreaming City

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 9, 2021

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

BeeSeeBee posted:

Yeah, I was crashing every time I started a patrol and Variks' voice came on.

e: just crashed while doing a public event in the Dreaming City

Queuing for crucible, it seems like half the time it crashes. Maybe more.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1359235010289487872

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So let me just see if i have this season's activity right:

we're interfering in a foreign election

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Played for two hours. Battleground could be amusing but hard to tell for how long. As someone having substantial difficulty shaking off the burn-out, and stopped playing in December, most of this feels like trodden ground. Looking at the Weekly challenges I can see myself getting maybe 1 of them done per week if I played normally. Really don't get how bungie moving the location of Weekly Vanilla WoW quest #492 into a permanent menu item rather than a pickup is supposed to cure the problem of people getting bounty-numbers-go-up burnout. And as a moderate but not deep lore fan, I could not give a single rats rear end about who is in charge of the Cabal relative to the other story threads. But I'll give it a week I guess, since I already paid for it.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

It's ok to take a break! The seasonal stuff will stick around after the season.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Arkage posted:

Played for two hours. Battleground could be amusing but hard to tell for how long. As someone having substantial difficulty shaking off the burn-out, and stopped playing in December, most of this feels like trodden ground. Looking at the Weekly challenges I can see myself getting maybe 1 of them done per week if I played normally. Really don't get how bungie moving the location of Weekly Vanilla WoW quest #492 into a permanent menu item rather than a pickup is supposed to cure the problem of people getting bounty-numbers-go-up burnout. And as a moderate but not deep lore fan, I could not give a single rats rear end about who is in charge of the Cabal relative to the other story threads. But I'll give it a week I guess, since I already paid for it.

the weekly challenges will stick around for the whole season, so if you take some time off or don't get everything in one week it'll still be there to do later

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
new bow is interesting. kind of like if trinity ghoul and sunshot had a baby, except I don't think it's as good as either of them I dunno. wanna see what the catalyst does

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Simulation: Safeguard Heroic is some horse poo poo at my current light. (1248)

Its kind of funny because the enemies dont hit that hard, they just take too much to kill.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I also had issues with the game crashing, but this is my first time playing since Beyond Light so I don't know if it's specific to the season or not.

My takeaway after a couple hours is that there are some good changes with this season:
-The seasonal activity is matchmade, instanced, and involves team-sized combat. Even though the gameplay is essentially the same as what Forges were, this should become the bare minimum of what seasonal activities are, as Public Events or solo missions just don't work. I will say that the Battlegrounds seem a little too long (by 50%), but it's still the type of PvE content I think most players want more of.
-The new Crucible engram reward system is an improvement over the token system, and all vendors should transition to it. The engram rewards themselves are still lackluster (you can't increase your Light Level with them, the armor seems hard-coded not to be high-stat, and the weapons aren't exciting), but that's an issue with loot/rewards.
-The new Seasonal Challenges system seems fine, although it is definitely weighted towards Season Pass content (at least in the first week). The worst challenges were related to playing Gambit matches or getting Super kills in Mayhem, but the old Weekly Bounties system had the same problem. I guess we'll need to see the next 10 weeks' of challenges to make a determination on this, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. It's probably an example of something that doesn't seem worth the resources to implement, but it's not bad.

In general though, the game still has the same issues that made me lose interest:
-The seasonal mechanics are confusing and poorly explained. Even after adding the HELM (a special, dedicated zone for the various season-specific interactions), there's like 3 different kiosks to interact with, each with confusing UI's and seasonal upgrade mechanics that have to be improved before you can feel like you're getting the most out of any of the systems. I understand that it's just a combination of the Menagerie chalice, Umbral Engrams, and Cryptograph Lure, but I couldn't decipher any kind of core gameplay loop where I could directly connect my actions to a proportionate reward. I think Bungie needs to be more willing to 'gamify' their world and explain how they intend systems to be used, rather than trying to give players lore cards and voiceovers that don't actually explain how to play their game.
-The Core Playlists are stale and still driven by bounties/quests/triumphs. I don't want to play Gambit. Don't make me play Gambit. Don't ask me nicely to play Gambit. I don't want to play Strikes just to tick off specific weapon kills. I don't want to play Crucible with bounty-induced handicaps, and I don't want to solo-queue in PvP and not know whether the rest of my team will just be farming game-losing Triumph requirements.
-Sunsetting still sucks. I'm in the camp that sunsetting was never a good idea, for weapons or armor, and will never be good for players, and that it fundamentally reduces the incentive to engage with the game. The amount of loot added this season still feels too low, and that quantity drops even more if you go through light.gg and identify weapons you know you won't give a poo poo about.

It will be interesting to see how the season is received by the community after a couple of weeks. I think that the seasonal activity is a tremendous improvement over what the past 4 seasons have had, but I also think the game's biggest core issues still remain. The number of players who logged into the game today is very high, but it will be more interesting to track that number in a month's time.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

For those of you who have a bad brain (example: me), I have figured out the Seasonal Loot Loop and have broken it down into very simple steps:

1. Get Gold by Doing Things
2. Make Medallion with Gold
3. Empower Hammer with Medallion
4. Break Chest with Empowered Hammer
5. Charge Hammer by Breaking Chest
6. Focus Umbral Engrams via Hammer Charge

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why so many steps?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why so many steps?

Because seasons last 3 months, guardian

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why doesn't the battleground playlist count as a strike/pve playlist for the million quests that want you to do strike poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

new bow is interesting. kind of like if trinity ghoul and sunshot had a baby, except I don't think it's as good as either of them I dunno. wanna see what the catalyst does
It might be possible to fire it round corners, i'm not sure. Still needs some experimenting but if someone nips round a corner to the left and you tag them while drawing, then fire wide to the right, it follows them round. Works on psions anyway.

Does the newish warlock hat work with that type of burn? Could be an incredibly annoying combo if so.