Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Z the IVth posted:

Have you heard the one about the mind-controlling gut microbiota?

You are what you eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Miftan posted:

I definitely read a peer reviewed article when I was at uni about how they're pretty sure that for at least some decisions, the electrical signals that make the decision (for some simple things like raising your hand) happen before the corresponding electrical bullshit happens in your brain.

I think they were measuring the conscious awareness of having made a decision, which inevitably has to come after having actually made the decision.

I found it really disturbing at first, ngl. But I don't see the need anymore to consider my inner-thought process as actually me. It's the consequence of me, the awareness of me. I make a decision, and my inner monologue reflects that. It swings between zen and terrifying depending on how much alcohol I've had.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

See, I just drink gin.

Welcome, brother

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

Have you heard the one about the mind-controlling gut microbiota?

Had a lecture once from a researcher who was very much into gut microbiomes and they were theorizing that there was a degree of interaction between all the bacteria in the gut and the human they lived in. To the point where you could get personality changes when the microbiome was altered by antibiotics or faecal transplants. It sounded a bit far-fetched but I guess mind-controlling gut bacteria is about as reasonable as 420 post-hoc rationalization.

Yeah, your gut produces something like 95% of the serotonin in your body. My brother's wife is actually a researcher in this very kinda thing. They had a cool paper a couple years ago where they found they could change mouse behaviour by changing gut flora, and then change that behaviour back again by snipping a nerve which conducts from the gut to the brain.

We are all holobionts. In a few years there'll be machines that can just hoover up the cloud of prokaryotic debris you shed every second as you walk by and use it to positively ID you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I, too, have played death stranding.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

To the point where you could get personality changes when the microbiome was altered by antibiotics or faecal transplants. It sounded a bit far-fetched but I guess mind-controlling gut bacteria is about as reasonable as 420 post-hoc rationalization.
There has been some research done about the link between autism and gut bacteria, which is what I think led to that insanity a year or so ago where parents were force feeding their kids bleach.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There has been some research done about the link between autism and gut bacteria, which is what I think led to that insanity a year or so ago where parents were force feeding their kids bleach.

:stonk:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I, too, have played death stranding.

The only vidja I've played in the last decade is GTA, Mario Kart, and the anarchist Goose Game. But I'm glad this is a thing out there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If the past few years have taught me anything it's that a lot of people really don't need a specific reason to drink bleach, it's basically just because you're not supposed to and they all want to.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The only vidja I've played in the last decade is GTA, Mario Kart, and the anarchist Goose Game. But I'm glad this is a thing out there

I mean not specifically but all the fancy words make it sound like death stranding lines.

Death stranding is the game where you throw your poo poo, piss, and gamer girl bathwater at ghosts to make progress.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Has Phillips been outed as the leaker?

Shes having an absolute normal one today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leaker of what? Other than the obvious?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

the game where you throw your poo poo, piss, and gamer girl bathwater at ghosts to make progress.
Max Stirner's The Game Of Life

OwlFancier posted:

See above.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There was a blind item a while back about a Labour MP who attended swinger parties in her area but everyone assumed it was the Dog Shagger of Little Shite Dudley Ian Austin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Shes having a bit of a mare over the Forde report.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord posted:

Shes having a bit of a mare over the Forde report.

Has it been released? Or has she seen an advance copy or something?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It hasn't been released but if she's freaking the gently caress out it implies she was contacted for comment (read: defend herself) and with her usual capacity for taking things in a Normal Way she probably immediately opened twitter and used the diarrhoea-to-text function.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has it been released? Or has she seen an advance copy or something?

No idea but shes threatened legal action due to some unspecified things being said 'online' and when asked about if its to do with the report shes been 'Never heard of it, don't know what it is'.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Piss Philips lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Piss Philip of Greece and Denmark

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

therattle posted:

Herb Simon the sociologist? American, must be about 85 now? I know him. My wife did some work in sociology and became friends with him, I think he was working here for a while. He's very cool.

Maybe? Well you certainly could also call him a sociologist. Heck, March is called a political scientist on Wikipedia and calls himself an economist (albeit a dissident) but is actually and organization theorist, so who knows.
Herb Simon won a Nobel (sorry, ~~"Nobel"~~ ""price") in economics though.

There's a ton of sociologists you could pull to answer op's question in any case. Your wife probably knows Hannan, or, even if not personally, Berger & Luckmann's work on social categories that applies here. Or Parsons even? I am not a sociologist tho I work with some. The sense-making thing I quoted is also sociology although the framework is from psychology.

It's all a big happy family nowadays, given that economists have recognized that ex-post rationality is "technically correct" and absolutely useless, and ex-ante rationality is "probably never correct" as biases exist (also: "you are telling us we can run experiments? ohhhhh"), while the other discipline has given up starting every article with "First of all, all economists are wrong. Here is my article about some unrelated question:..."

This applies of course not to macroeconomists, who individually and collective exhibit no cognitive function whatsoever.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

fatelvis posted:

I guess there is no way of stopping this and we're all destined to become old and set in our ways :(

There's always Carousel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Haramstufe Rot posted:

while the other discipline has given up starting every article with "First of all, all economists are wrong. Here is my article about some unrelated question:..."
Why would you give that up?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Is 'news' now just about posting the most utterly blatant bullshit for clicks?

(didn't even look at the article)

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1359130371217108994

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

This week, we for some reason speak to a very immature 25 year-old with completely unrealistic expectations about how his life will pan out.

(I did not read the article)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol Oz katerji and lgb alliance are having a twitter fight which will hopefully involve lots of expensive lawsuits

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh I love articles like that. Except it's never normal people it's always some freak with a niche financial situation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

xtothez posted:

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1359130371217108994

How does a 25 year old guy look that old

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Borrovan posted:

This week, we for some reason speak to a very immature 25 year-old with completely unrealistic expectations about how his life will pan out.

(I did not read the article)

"How I manage money"

*has nothing that needs managing*

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kecske posted:

"How I manage money"

*has nothing that needs managing*

So leeching off his parents, then?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1359424113413140481

:discourse:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

Yes.

xtothez posted:

:same:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Yep. Another "You can do it to if you have parents that pay for everything"

Also lol @ retiring at 45 with £1m.

I don't think most people realise that £1m isn't that huge amount of money.

Though I guess he's probably going to inherit his parents house and their wealth when they die.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's enough that I could secure means of producing food and heat for the rest of my natural life without needing to trade my time to others for income and still have a bit left over. What more could you ask for?

(If anyone is giving away £1m because it isn't that huge an amount of money please point them my way.)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's enough that I could secure means of producing food and heat for the rest of my natural life without needing to trade my time to others for income and still have a bit left over. What more could you ask for?

(If anyone is giving away £1m because it isn't that huge an amount of money please point them my way.)

I mean its a considerable amount but it's not the endless supply people think it is.

It also depends on your situation. Like I said, if they are inheriting their house then it's more than enough to comfortably live on if you are smart with money

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 10, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CyberPingu posted:

I mean its a considerable amount but it's not the endless supply people think it is.

It also depends on your situation.

If this dude has literally no outgoings except mobile phone costs then yeah it's a huge amount and if he retired at 45 with 1 million in the bank and the same expenses then he'd be set for life.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Aphex- posted:

If this dude has literally no outgoings except mobile phone costs then yeah it's a huge amount and if he retired at 45 with 1 million in the bank and the same expenses then he'd be set for life.

Yeah, presumably his parents will die at some point and then he will start needing to pay for bills etc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

CyberPingu posted:

Though I guess he's probably going to inherit his parents house and their wealth when they die.

Assuming he would have retired at 70 anyway.

£400k at 1% over 25 years returns £512k in the bank.

£600k / 25 years is £24000 a year, or median salary.

That’s effectively never having to work again money for 80% of all the employed people in the country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CyberPingu posted:

It's not living in the lap of luxury for the rest of your days money but you could absolutely live a perfectly comfortable life with a mil. Buy a home for £200k somewhere unfashionable and you'd have enough for a £20k a year lifestyle for 40 years, without the largest expense of housing to cover. That'd take me to 76. So if someone wants to throw me a cool mil I promise not to work again

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Assuming he would have retired at 70 anyway.

£400k at 1% over 25 years returns £512k in the bank.

£600k / 25 years is £24000 a year, or median salary.

That’s effectively never having to work again money for 80% of all the employed people in the country.

Fair enough.

This is implying he's going to stay single for most of his life too. Raising a family on a single £24k salary doesn't sound fun (and yes I know some people do it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You might as well post your plan, it would be more interesting and realistic than those money diaries