Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You did a good job putting it into words. I’m not planning to stop skiing in the backcountry. But a steady diet of Instagram and YouTube make it easy to picture yourself up in one of the chutes in Tuckerman ravine or sniffing out some secret rad stashes. Seeing experienced skiers get caught and killed has me thinking about how long it will take me to build up the experience and knowledge that will let me do those things with a big margin of safety. Sticking to low angle, low consequence terrain while I develop. And there probably is some skiing that’s just out of the question for me, maybe ever, in terms of my risk tolerance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ought ten posted:

You did a good job putting it into words. I’m not planning to stop skiing in the backcountry. But a steady diet of Instagram and YouTube make it easy to picture yourself up in one of the chutes in Tuckerman ravine or sniffing out some secret rad stashes. Seeing experienced skiers get caught and killed has me thinking about how long it will take me to build up the experience and knowledge that will let me do those things with a big margin of safety. Sticking to low angle, low consequence terrain while I develop. And there probably is some skiing that’s just out of the question for me, maybe ever, in terms of my risk tolerance.

It's also worth noting that stuff on YT and Insta is super curated. Those deep pow slow mo slashes? Maybe even not in avy terrain. Steep, exposed lines? That film crew has a professional avy forecaster with them telling them go or no go. Plus, slides happen with big filming companies that have all of that.

With time, you'll find your stashes. With education and experience, you'll learn when you can ski something super rad. I think the mindset of viewing being in the bc as a continuous, lifelong pursuit instead of a one time consumable video is what's going to keep you safe.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

It's also worth noting that stuff on YT and Insta is super curated. Those deep pow slow mo slashes? Maybe even not in avy terrain. Steep, exposed lines? That film crew has a professional avy forecaster with them telling them go or no go. Plus, slides happen with big filming companies that have all of that.

With time, you'll find your stashes. With education and experience, you'll learn when you can ski something super rad. I think the mindset of viewing being in the bc as a continuous, lifelong pursuit instead of a one time consumable video is what's going to keep you safe.

Yeah, here's one of my favorite posts from a local pro recently. Don't miss the second slide.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJeOl3ZhBuY/

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Derpies posted:

I'm a bird skier too and have been on south chute or wilbere ridge a few times going "oh geez that's a lot of sluff going by me". Did they finally open Baldy up? I've mainly been teaching mini derps this year so haven't been up on the Tram or upper mountain much. I've had a few hikes at Snowbasin though too where after dropping in an entire ridgeline fractured behind me which is terrifying to say the least.

By all accounts too the people stuck in the Millcreek avy all week extremely experienced too. I don't know a ton about touring but maybe having five people all descending at once wasn't a good idea for the conditions, but it sounds like it was just an absolutely massive slide.

Baldy has actually been open for a while, which is crazy. I was talking about the high saddle over to defiance ledge, which opened yesterday for the first time in the season.

You are correct about not having five people descending at once; what's more, you don't want to be skinning all bunched up. You want to let people go one at a time when you are below dangerous terrain, and you certainly don't want to be dropping in from above while people are skinning below you, lest this happen and your whole party get carried.

Eejit posted:

The deaths shouldn't scare you out of the backcountry, but they should motivate you to very carefully evaluate your terrain selection. And honestly, I think if we all dialed down our expectations for terrain, I think we'd have an overall safer backcountry. Save the really rad poo poo for spring or until danger is low. And don't forget that 30 degree terrain actually skis pretty steep and is super fun, especially with new snow. You can have a really great day in the backcountry and never expose yourself to avalanche hazard.

Wilson glade, the slope where the tragedy occurred in Millcreek canyon this week, is 31 degrees. A 30 degree slope, with or without new snow, can still be extremely dangerous depending on the snowpack, wind loading, etc.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 8, 2021

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Baldy has actually been open for a while, which is crazy. I was talking about the high saddle over to defiance ledge, which opened yesterday for the first time in the season.

You are correct about not having five people descending at once; what's more, you don't want to be skinning all bunched up. You want to let people go one at a time when you are below dangerous terrain, and you certainly don't want to be dropping in from above while people are skinning below you, lest this happen and your whole party get carried.

Wilson glade, the slope where the tragedy occurred in Millcreek canyon this week, is 31 degrees. A 30 degree slope, with or without new snow, can still be extremely dangerous depending on the snowpack, wind loading, etc.

When I heard Millcreek I was surprised because I always thought of it as rather milder, but it is still the Wasatch.

Way out off tiger tail too is some of the few holy poo poo moments I've had in bounds. Even as a fairly good skier thats been riding the bird/alta since I was 2 I get lost in there sometimes with friends or ski local ski school kids. Always found a fun way down though!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Eejit posted:

Also I am gonna plug Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper again because it's a great comprehensive work that provides a cohesive look at safe backcountry recreation.

Thanks for the suggestion, this looks really good! My local bookstore has a couple copies so I'm going to pick it up tonight.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ought ten posted:

The deaths season are making me seriously rethink my interest and objectives in the backcountry. Glad I’m taking my level 1 soon but I think I’m going to dial down my expectations for progressing into more consequential terrain.

I did get a nice peak at some of that terrain on Sunday morning.

Where’s that hat from?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
lol we just went from level orange to level orange EXTREME because red is scary?

e: someone from fyad apparently works for pit vipers lovely hats

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Where’s that hat from?

Custom hats for a wedding. Hence the hat being front and center and the mountains blurry. I think the unicorn was stock art from the website? So either we're friends IRL or it's been used elsewhere. Or it just looks like a lot of web comics.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Eejit posted:

Also I am gonna plug Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper again because it's a great comprehensive work that provides a cohesive look at safe backcountry recreation.

Spwrozek recommended this book and it's been a great supplement for the classroom parts of the AIARE1 course that I'm currently taking. I'm taking the field sections of it this Thursday and Friday at Bluebird Backcountry. https://bluebirdbackcountry.com/

I'll try to snag some photos for the thread.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

His point was you don't need to ride 30-50 degree pitches to have fun in powder.

Everything I have posted this year has been under 30 degrees besides 1 video.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah that was a little unclear, app posting lots of words is hard. I meant like stuff approaching 30 can ski very rad. And depending on conditions and existing problems, you can ski it safely. We ski stuff off the back of Ajax that has a few short 30 degree sections reasonably often. We also avoid it and head mellower when the forecast is dangerous and we encounter problematic conditions.

The point I wanted to make was that stuff on the lower end of the risk spectrum is still incredibly fun. You don't need to be in 40 degree terrain with a Jones film crew to feel rad in the bc and you also don't need to stick to 15 degree meadows to be safe.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Natural Selection final happening at 11:30 ET: https://redbull.com/us-en/events/natural-selection-tour

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the reminder.

Was just coming over here to post a link to this thread from EZL last summer about BC & Avy stuff. https://ezloungin.com/ezlounge/the-lounge/avy-first-aid-training-advice/#post-49609

casque
Mar 17, 2009

spwrozek posted:

His point was you don't need to ride 30-50 degree pitches to have fun in powder.

Everything I have posted this year has been under 30 degrees besides 1 video.

Sorry bro, you haven't actually had fun.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ought ten posted:

Natural Selection final happening at 11:30 ET: https://redbull.com/us-en/events/natural-selection-tour

I should have stayed home today instead of having to tab back and forth on this at work lol

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

casque posted:

I knew it but didn't want to admit it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

casque posted:

It’s the unspoken curse of skiing. No one has ever had a fun day. It’s always too cold/hot/icy/slushy/scary/mellow. Everyday sucks. But the next day, that one will finally be fun.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Ben Ferguson is a hell of a rider, god drat. Beautiful runs in the quarters.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Ben Ferguson is a hell of a rider, god drat. Beautiful runs in the quarters.

He pulled it out big in the semi's just now. Looks like he's in the zone today!

highme
May 25, 2001

I think Jake Paul needs some props for that Wildcat to Tame Dog revert on that last hit.

"I've just been riding my snowboard a lot, that's the way you get better at snowboarding" - Ben Ferg, a good snowboarder who snowboards a lot.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I always say the Hobacks are my favorite part of Jackson Hole, but watching this natural selection, I wonder if it isn't really the Saratoga Bowl, but I just never remember because almost every time I've been there it's been closed. I remember it being amazing in I think 2011 and 2012 though.

The thing I remember most though is there's a really skinny traverse through the trees at the bottom to get back to where the lifts start, and one time my friend hit a root or something and went tumbling down the mountain to the side, which wasn't too steep and he was fine of course. When he got his bearings and looked up from the snow though, he was way too close to a pretty young moose, which means the mother couldn't be too far away and man did he unstrap and hustle up that hill.

Edit: vv ahh you must be right. I was thinking that had to be the Apres Vous lift

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 10, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

davebo posted:

I always say the Hobacks are my favorite part of Jackson Hole, but watching this natural selection, I wonder if it isn't really the Saratoga Bowl, but I just never remember because almost every time I've been there it's been closed. I remember it being amazing in I think 2011 and 2012 though.

The thing I remember most though is there's a really skinny traverse through the trees at the bottom to get back to where the lifts start, and one time my friend hit a root or something and went tumbling down the mountain to the side, which wasn't too steep and he was fine of course. When he got his bearings and looked up from the snow though, he was way too close to a pretty young moose, which means the mother couldn't be too far away and man did he unstrap and hustle up that hill.

I am pretty sure the event is on the Moran Face. The area used to be hike to until they added the teton quad last? year.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pfft needle hasn’t even hit diamond e yet. Wake me up when we hit diamond x.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

no you see half of the county is in orange extreme and the other half is not so that’s the average

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was a mighty, mighty nice powder day. Great use of a day off. Not action shots today.

Also legit tree riding in Colorado? Who knew.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Finally decided to pick up a snowboard after renting for too long and am looking for boots & bindings.
What are the opinions on Flow's "speed-entry" system vs standard bindings? Was thinking about picking some up. I also didn't realize there are boa boots that have a separate dial for the shin and foot box. Not being able to adjust each individually has always annoyed me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

its all nice on rice posted:

Finally decided to pick up a snowboard after renting for too long and am looking for boots & bindings.
What are the opinions on Flow's "speed-entry" system vs standard bindings? Was thinking about picking some up. I also didn't realize there are boa boots that have a separate dial for the shin and foot box. Not being able to adjust each individually has always annoyed me.

My husband had them for a few years and he hated them. Went back to standard bindings and has been much happier.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Don't buy Boa and don't buy flow.

Rome or Union Bindings. Boots that fit but with laces.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Really, what's wrong with boa systems?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Nothing really if they work for you, some people just get hotspots/pinching I think. I love Boa boots and will never buy anything else if I can help it. Where do you ride? If it's short runs (the thread will probably kill me for this) Burton Step-Ons are sweet bindings, I like mine way better than a standard strap binding. If you ride with skiers they will also love you for getting Step Ons.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I only board a couple times a year. We rent a cabin with family on Mt. Hood, OR every year, and I go once or twice during the weekend. I also try to go to Crystal Mountain or Steven's Pass if I can. I'm a very casual boarder. Just greens and blues. Enjoying the ride down. No parks.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Flow bindings are garbage and they never feel tight enough, just don't. Boa boots were made for people who don't want to take a literal minute to re-tie boots if they come too loose. I had a pair once.. they weren't bad they just aren't as comfortable as boots with laces imo. Make your skier friends wait for you, they can deal with it :colbert:

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

normally i prefer laces but i bought DC Judges this season because i wanted a stiffer boot and have zero complaints about the BOA system.

K2 does a nice BOA combo with their Darkos and Enders imo. bottom BOA to lock in the ankle and laces for everything else.

hard agree on anti Flow bindings though. i bought Burton Cartels this year which i like, although i’m probably buying a Capita DOA next season and might throw on some Union bindings to fit in with the cult

edit: i would’ve just gotten Union bindings this season, but unfortunately my shop doesn’t carry them so i took the proform route

highme
May 25, 2001

I'd never use them, Flows make perfect sense for a "I ride a handful of times a year and just cruise greens & blues" type of rider. The extra money on the superior Burton step-in system would probably be worth it though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

I'd never use them, Flows make perfect sense for a "I ride a handful of times a year and just cruise greens & blues" type of rider. The extra money on the superior Burton step-in system would probably be worth it though.

This does make sense for sure.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Bring on the snow :getin:

We're supposed to get 6-8ft in the next 5 days

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Really, what's wrong with boa systems?

Yeah, granted mine are hybrids (Vans Infusion), but I like it.
Then again, the Infusions has boa, laces and a strap...if you want these tight, well, you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
LMAO at the group of grown men who cut into a closed run being used for U14 girls GS training and who then tried to intimidate the U14 girls who told them off and then who lost the confrontation with the U14 girls. Mountain Creek is wild but we got some tough kids. My daughters told me it was like a climactic scene out of a bad 80s ski movie especially because it ended with a wild downhill where the girls and men were trying to force each other physically off the run at speed.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 12, 2021