Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
iirc revature pays like 50k and you are locked in for 2 years wherever they place you and you have to pay them back for their training if you do not fulfill the 2 years. there are better opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

Never take a job that expects you to pay them, for any reason. It's a scam.

I only pay them if I break contract.
And none of the reviews I looked up said anything about repaying them.

I'm fine being locked in for 2 years. Indeed, that's exactly the amount of time I want to have a job.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 5, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is fine right up until your boss expects 80 hours a week, or requires you to relocate, or, or, or

As long as you've done your research, and you're a consenting adult, sure, but be aware very few people are going to sign off on your plan

There's a reason why larger companies don't ask their employees to sign similar contracts

Good luck

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
That sounds like a contract with very high potential downside and very low potential upside.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Shadow0 posted:

I'm fine being locked in for 2 years. Indeed, that's exactly the amount of time I want to have a job.

I know a few people who contracted through Revature in my department. I can ask if they'd recommend it, but it really only seems like a decent fit for recent college grads who don't have a comp-sci-ish degree.
Please be careful, they do underpay.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shadow0 posted:

Are you applying for places that are asking for 3+ years, or are you assuming you can't get them. Because I remember you and I remember your resume, you have more than 3 years experience and should be a decent candidate for even intermediate postings that would be a lot better deal.

If you want to just go on autopilot I guess the contract works, but you'll very likely get a lovely job that still won't look good and you'll be right back here in 2 years. You are applying for stuff, taking time to craft a custom resume and cover letter for the handful of really good looking jobs, right? And you're taking this time now that you don't have a job to spruce up your github and sharpen those skills, right?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If you search past the first layer of good reviews, Revature has a ton of bad press. Like lowest pay but you have to relocate (with no financial support) on short notice for a contract you're not qualified for and then have to relocate again (because trying to escape costs you far more) kind of bad press. There are a couple of other organizations whose names escape me that are described as like Revature but slightly less scammy, but if you have any relevant experience I wouldn't consider any of these things.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Hug in a Can posted:

I know a few people who contracted through Revature in my department. I can ask if they'd recommend it, but it really only seems like a decent fit for recent college grads who don't have a comp-sci-ish degree.
Please be careful, they do underpay.

That'd be great, thank you!

Lockback posted:

Are you applying for places that are asking for 3+ years, or are you assuming you can't get them. Because I remember you and I remember your resume, you have more than 3 years experience and should be a decent candidate for even intermediate postings that would be a lot better deal.

If you want to just go on autopilot I guess the contract works, but you'll very likely get a lovely job that still won't look good and you'll be right back here in 2 years. You are applying for stuff, taking time to craft a custom resume and cover letter for the handful of really good looking jobs, right? And you're taking this time now that you don't have a job to spruce up your github and sharpen those skills, right?

Yeah, thanks again so much for your help before!

I think you're misremembering though because I only have 1 year experience aside from a few months experience at my friend's startups from nearly 10 years ago. And half of that 1 year was in training. It was also over 5 years ago. And for technology no one else uses.

I've been applying to them yeah. A whole lot of them. I've written a couple cover letters, but I really struggle to say anything except "I will work hard!" I just don't have anything to say.
I'm not sure how I should be customizing my resume for different companies though. It's already so sparse...

Yeah, my GitHub has a few commits every month except this last one, but I've also just moved countries, so I've been a bit slow to get back to programming.

I hear what everyone is saying, I'm just afraid of giving up what I have for just the chance of finding something better. Though the "minimum wage in your area" part definitely really tipped me off to them being kind of scummy.

Maybe I'm just applying to the wrong places. I'm trying to steer towards machine learning or computer vision. It's what I studied in my masters. But you need Python and/or SQL experience, and I don't have any. I'm not sure if certifications will get me anything either. Should I be looking at those? I can't look for a job forever though; I don't even qualify for unemployment, so money will quickly become a problem.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Plorkyeran posted:

That sounds like a contract with very high potential downside and very low potential upside.

Seriously. You will be paid and treated like dirt and there’s no guarantee the experience will be worth much to you in the end.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

So I was finally kicked out of Korea and have started job searching back in the US of A in earnest. :toot:

And so far nothing. The lack of 3 years of experience in anything feels like an unsurmountable barrier.

But I did get an offer from Revature.
The pay isn't great, and I will have no control at all on what they train me for.
And also it's funny to think my 6.5 years of university are less valuable than their 10~12 weeks of training.

But despite the low pay and relocation requirement, it's pretty tempting.
The review sites all give them pretty high reviews, but I thought I would ask this thread just in case someone knows something I don't.
I feel like if I can just get that 2 more years of programming experience, a lot more opportunities will starting being available to me.

Is Revature a good place for me to build experience, or am I just being impatient in my job search?

I know several people who started their IT career with Revature.

You'll be underpaid (~50K) while working with them, but after your two years is up, and you leave, your salary will skyrocket. A couple of them are at six figures now.

Be prepared to relocate to anywhere in the US and be prepared to be assertive if management starts messing you.

EDIT: Make sure to talk to them about (get this in writing) overtime and raises.

Ither fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 6, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ither posted:

I know several people who started their IT career with Revature.

You'll be underpaid (~50K) while working with them, but after your two years is up, and you leave, your salary will skyrocket. A couple of them are at six figures now.

Be prepared to relocate to anywhere in the US and be prepared to be assertive if management starts messing you.

EDIT: Make sure to talk to them about (get this in writing) overtime and raises.

That all sound awful and like it should be a desperate, last resort, "it's this or eating out of a dumpster" choice. There are plenty of jobs that won't force you to relocate while paying you chump change.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

Maybe I'm just applying to the wrong places. I'm trying to steer towards machine learning or computer vision. It's what I studied in my masters. But you need Python and/or SQL experience, and I don't have any. I'm not sure if certifications will get me anything either. Should I be looking at those? I can't look for a job forever though; I don't even qualify for unemployment, so money will quickly become a problem.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

If you're smart enough to do graduate work in ML and computer vision then you are smart enough to start teaching yourself python and do kaggle exercises to put on your resume. That'll solve your dilemma of not having experience in those technologies.

Plus in my experience recruiters hardly pay attention to your listed tech skills. I have had interviews at places that use tools I never listed on my resume. Had to teach myself redux for a stupid take home project.

I think you are buying into the idea that job listings only write hard requirements, when that is not true at all. How many calls are you getting per the amount of applications you send out? To me it sounds like you need to work on the resume and cover letter.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

If you're smart enough to do graduate work in ML and computer vision then you are smart enough to start teaching yourself python and do kaggle exercises to put on your resume. That'll solve your dilemma of not having experience in those technologies.

Plus in my experience recruiters hardly pay attention to your listed tech skills. I have had interviews at places that use tools I never listed on my resume. Had to teach myself redux for a stupid take home project.

I think you are buying into the idea that job listings only write hard requirements, when that is not true at all. How many calls are you getting per the amount of applications you send out? To me it sounds like you need to work on the resume and cover letter.

Revature is the only company to ever call me. Yeah, I guess my resume is holding me back. I wasn't sure that certifications or whatever would be that much of a help. If you think kegel exercises will help, I'll look into them. Thanks

The consensus seems to be that I can get a job despite the lack of work experience. If that's the case, I'll pass on Revature. I don't really want to relocate anyway.
Is there somewhere reliable that could help me with my resume?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 7, 2021

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Post it here and edit out personal info. There used to be a resume service in SA Mart but that was a long time ago, maybe it's gone.

edit: also it's kaggle, lol. Not kegel

Stuff like this https://www.kaggle.com/bulentsiyah/learn-opencv-by-examples-with-python

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 7, 2021

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Post it here and edit out personal info.

There's also a resume and interview ultrathread but for resumes that would fit in this thread probably everyone qualified over there is here, too.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shadow0 posted:

Revature is the only company to ever call me. Yeah, I guess my resume is holding me back. I wasn't sure that certifications or whatever would be that much of a help. If you think kegel exercises will help, I'll look into them. Thanks

The consensus seems to be that I can get a job despite the lack of work experience. If that's the case, I'll pass on Revature. I don't really want to relocate anyway.
Is there somewhere reliable that could help me with my resume?

Had a good laugh at this typo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shadow0 posted:

If you think kegel exercises will help, I'll look into them. Thanks

Backend Hiring Couch

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice on my website earlier, i implemented most of the suggested changes and imo it is much improved.

https://www.jacksonblair-react-crud-demo.com/

e. Thanks whoever made a board with no title/description, i just stealth fixed that.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 8, 2021

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's my censored resume: https://www.overleaf.com/read/gpqqswygnwhc
Thanks for the help!
I only just now realize I forgot to include a phone number now that I actually have one they can reach. :doh:
In those cases, do they just toss out the resume or do they attempt to email you?

If I've already applied to a place, is it feasible to apply to them again a month later with an improved resume / more certifications or whatever?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While I have a phone number on my resume, I have not had a prospective employer use it in the last 5 years

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Shadow0 posted:

Thanks for the help!
I only just now realize I forgot to include a phone number now that I actually have one they can reach. :doh:
In those cases, do they just toss out the resume or do they attempt to email you?

If I've already applied to a place, is it feasible to apply to them again a month later with an improved resume / more certifications or whatever?

I would beef up the skills section. Put down every technology, framework, platform you've worked with that could be possibly relevant. git, Jira, .NET, whatever. I would remove the "familiar with" part. If the skill is relevant to the position, the interviewer will ask you about it and in what capacity you used it in.

Also I would make statements about everything you did in your computer-type roles. Make sure to continue to name-drop technologies you used e.g. Contributed Java 8 code, built with Gradle, deployed by Jenkins to AWS EC2, etc. List methodologies like Agile or TDD. If you have any metrics that show how your projects contributed to better outcomes for the business that is really good to note also.

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people with input to give, but that is where I would start.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shadow0 posted:

Thanks for the help!

Nearly every interview I’ve ever had has started as a rep from HR emailing me to schedule a time to have a call.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

fourwood posted:

Nearly every interview I’ve ever had has started as a rep from HR emailing me to schedule a time to have a call.

Yep, I recruiter cold-calling is a yellow flag.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Vilgefartz posted:

Thanks for the advice on my website earlier, i implemented most of the suggested changes and imo it is much improved.

https://www.jacksonblair-react-crud-demo.com/

e. Thanks whoever made a board with no title/description, i just stealth fixed that.

From a brief bit of playing this is much improved. Small design tip - give most things a bit of padding or margin. It currently looks a bit cramped. For instance, .name, .description, .about, and .menu could all use a margin-bottom: 8px or so.

When there are no search results, you might want to have a bit of text "No results matching {search_string}" or something like that. Not a big deal. It could also be nice if you can clear the search input.

Also, if you can, you might want to make a Guest Login button that actually just does the login behind the scenes instead of making the user type in the email/password. This is a small thing, but you want anything possible to reduce friction and prevent people from bouncing.

The new date range selection UX is so much better and easier to use. The swapping between list and calendar view is clean and easy to understand. I would absolutely bring you in for an interview after seeing this, and even be pretty excited about it. Bravo!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

barkbell posted:

I would beef up the skills section.

Put down every technology, framework, platform you've worked with that could be possibly relevant. git, Jira, .NET, whatever. I would remove the "familiar with" part. If the skill is relevant to the position, the interviewer will ask you about it and in what capacity you used it in.

Ok, I added everything I could think of, though I feel like a lot of it is a stretch. 10 years ago I took a course in Lisp, does that mean I can list it? MatLab - I used it once in a class - is that a skill I have?

barkbell posted:

Also I would make statements about everything you did in your computer-type roles. Make sure to continue to name-drop technologies you used e.g. Contributed Java 8 code, built with Gradle, deployed by Jenkins to AWS EC2, etc. List methodologies like Agile or TDD. If you have any metrics that show how your projects contributed to better outcomes for the business that is really good to note also.

Unfortunately, I've already included everything I remember from those jobs. Epic is the only full-time programming job I've had, and it ended quickly. My work experience is a couple hours a week making a solitaire clone and a space shooter game with my friends for Android, and then a year of Visual Basic and MUMPS at Epic, half of which was training, responding to some bug reports or whatever came my way. I struggle to remember why training even took 6 months - what did I even learn?
I don't really have any metrics. No frameworks or technology.
Everything else is university stuff, but I don't think you usually list classwork on a resume, right?

I guess I need to spend time focusing on certifications and kaggilian exercises then? Then I'll feel more confident listing skills I picked up in university, and it'll give me something to add to my resume.

Hughlander posted:

Yep, I recruiter cold-calling is a yellow flag.

Ok, great!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shadow0 posted:

Ok, I added everything I could think of, though I feel like a lot of it is a stretch. 10 years ago I took a course in Lisp, does that mean I can list it? MatLab - I used it once in a class - is that a skill I have?

Anything on your resume is fair game for questions during the interview. Do you feel good about your ability to answer questions about Lisp or Matlab?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

From a brief bit of playing this is much improved. Small design tip - give most things a bit of padding or margin. It currently looks a bit cramped. For instance, .name, .description, .about, and .menu could all use a margin-bottom: 8px or so.

When there are no search results, you might want to have a bit of text "No results matching {search_string}" or something like that. Not a big deal. It could also be nice if you can clear the search input.

Also, if you can, you might want to make a Guest Login button that actually just does the login behind the scenes instead of making the user type in the email/password. This is a small thing, but you want anything possible to reduce friction and prevent people from bouncing.

The new date range selection UX is so much better and easier to use. The swapping between list and calendar view is clean and easy to understand. I would absolutely bring you in for an interview after seeing this, and even be pretty excited about it. Bravo!

Thanks again for taking the time!

I'll implement those things also, (and probably in every demo app i do in the future). I hadn't thought much about QoL for the people who do hiring, but i will now.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Shadow0 posted:

Unfortunately, I've already included everything I remember from those jobs. Epic is the only full-time programming job I've had, and it ended quickly. My work experience is a couple hours a week making a solitaire clone and a space shooter game with my friends for Android, and then a year of Visual Basic and MUMPS at Epic, half of which was training, responding to some bug reports or whatever came my way. I struggle to remember why training even took 6 months - what did I even learn?
I don't really have any metrics. No frameworks or technology.
Everything else is university stuff, but I don't think you usually list classwork on a resume, right?

I guess I need to spend time focusing on certifications and kaggilian exercises then? Then I'll feel more confident listing skills I picked up in university, and it'll give me something to add to my resume.

Ok, great!

Don't include it if it was 10 years ago and you can't speak to it.

I would imagine the Epic job would be more than "developed outpatient tools". Look back at the job description for inspiration imo

e: im not a hiring manager btw, just a dude that gets a pretty good response rate on applications

barkbell fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 9, 2021

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
In a shocking twist, my needs have pivoted to negotiating 101. Does this thread have any preferred reference material on that front?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Newf posted:

In a shocking twist, my needs have pivoted to negotiating 101. Does this thread have any preferred reference material on that front?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Newf posted:

In short, never say a number. jfc

e: beaten like a noob negotiator who gives their old salary and an expected range without knowing market rates for the position

fourwood fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 9, 2021

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
Well that's a whole thread!

In a still more shocking twist, I've just received another offer that's (on balance) less interesting than the one I was previously referring to. When it rains it pours.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Well that certainly helps your negotiating position

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Well that certainly helps your negotiating position

You think that you're a happy hippo, but you should see me!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Newf posted:

Well that's a whole thread!

In a still more shocking twist, I've just received another offer that's (on balance) less interesting than the one I was previously referring to. When it rains it pours.

Negotiate both of them. What would it take for the 2nd offer to be better than the first?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Man, I have 2 postings right now, a senior role and a more junior one. The Junior role is getting people with CS Degrees and a year of experience asking if we'd be willing to consider interns and the senior role is getting absolute crickets. The market is all sorts of messed up right now.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

Thanks for the help!

Is this the final version with this formatting you're sending to recruiters? First I'd shorten it to just 1 page. Take out languages and awards--I'd only list foreign languages if it's necessary (btw there's a TokyoDev email I follow that sends me remote Japanese company positions). Squash your education down to just a few lines and highlight that you have a MS and bachelors in CS.

Definitely add your phone number, and try to shorten that contact info section to at least 2 lines. Add your LinkedIn url.

For the skills, you can push the relevant ones to the front depending on the job requirements. Recruiters likely just skim those for buzzwords and say hey you have java experience, works for me.

Talk more about the impact of your published work and what you've done at previous companies. Provide at least 3 bullet points with quantified data, even if it seems minor to you. Like, "pushed 100 lines of code developing X that impacted Y for Android app using [tech stack]". You have industry experience so you should play that up. Talk more about your accomplishments and really learn to sell yourself. Instead of saying "I will work really hard!" like you mentioned earlier, show them that you work really hard and back it up with data.

I don't know about the machine learning interview process, but I assume having a MS is a big step in the right direction. I suggested Kaggle because you should include some projects that you've completed in your resume. The goon above that has their React app acts as a strong portfolio and demonstration of their skill, and shows the fundamentals of full stack web dev with relevant/modern technology. Doing something like Kaggle and having a direct link to it on your resume tells me that you've been busy, trying to keep up with latest technologies, and lets me gauge your coding skill. With that said, try to also have relevant projects linked. I wouldn't care if you can do computer vision if you're just applying for a React job.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Anything on your resume is fair game for questions during the interview. Do you feel good about your ability to answer questions about Lisp or Matlab?

Well, when you put it that way, I should probably just delete that whole section.

I removed all the things I don't feel at least a little bit confident on, though it wouldn't be hard to ask me a question I don't know about the things that I left on the list.

Here's the updated version:
https://www.overleaf.com/read/gpqqswygnwhc

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Is this the final version with this formatting you're sending to recruiters? First I'd shorten it to just 1 page. Take out languages and awards--I'd only list foreign languages if it's necessary (btw there's a TokyoDev email I follow that sends me remote Japanese company positions). Squash your education down to just a few lines and highlight that you have a MS and bachelors in CS.

Definitely add your phone number, and try to shorten that contact info section to at least 2 lines. Add your LinkedIn url.
I'm confused. Do you just mean to make the section take up less space, or are there things I should remove?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

For the skills, you can push the relevant ones to the front depending on the job requirements. Recruiters likely just skim those for buzzwords and say hey you have java experience, works for me.

Talk more about the impact of your published work and what you've done at previous companies. Provide at least 3 bullet points with quantified data, even if it seems minor to you. Like, "pushed 100 lines of code developing X that impacted Y for Android app using [tech stack]". You have industry experience so you should play that up. Talk more about your accomplishments and really learn to sell yourself. Instead of saying "I will work really hard!" like you mentioned earlier, show them that you work really hard and back it up with data.

I don't know about the machine learning interview process, but I assume having a MS is a big step in the right direction. I suggested Kaggle because you should include some projects that you've completed in your resume. The goon above that has their React app acts as a strong portfolio and demonstration of their skill, and shows the fundamentals of full stack web dev with relevant/modern technology. Doing something like Kaggle and having a direct link to it on your resume tells me that you've been busy, trying to keep up with latest technologies, and lets me gauge your coding skill. With that said, try to also have relevant projects linked. I wouldn't care if you can do computer vision if you're just applying for a React job.

I removed all the non-programming and part time jobs.
The one and only thing I remember from Epic was when I made it so users don't need to lock an entire patient's record when they edit a diagnosis. I don't know how many lines of code it was. But I do remember it was in Visual Basic 6, does that count as a tech stack?
If I had some kind of accomplishments, I'd list them.
Listing Epic on my resume already makes me feel like Napoleon listing Waterloo as experience.

I realize now I need to be more deliberate with my time; I need to focus on the technologies that companies are looking for and design projects around that. Maybe I can cobble something together.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 10, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
What do people think of hackerrank? I like using the practice questions as well... practice for assessments, but is it worth the time to get their skill certifications? I can't imagine it would hurt, but would it help on a resume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Probably not worth it. What will matter is how you do on the technical questions they ask related to whatever cert you may get.