Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Isn't Sheamus' neck being held together primarily by wishes right now? Isn't that why they stuck him in a tag team?

Apparently he and Edge are seeing the same magician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Punch McLightning posted:

Apparently he and Edge are seeing the same magician.

Yeah. I thought Edge was done forever level of sustained injuries.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the solution is clear:

cinematic elimination chamber

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure it's more likely that Edge, Bryan, etc. haven't been miraculously healed and instead WWE just doesn't really give a poo poo about the health and safety of their not employees.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more likely that Edge, Bryan, etc. haven't been miraculously healed and instead WWE just doesn't really give a poo poo about the health and safety of their not employees.

I think it's probably a little of both. I sure as gently caress would have dropped plans to give Edge a title run (let alone one where he wants to work with newer guys) after he put himself out of action in The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

The way Dave discussed it recently made it sound kind of the opposite, like WWE's doctors are incompetently telling guys they can't wrestle ever again and other doctors are telling them otherwise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

I think it's probably a little of both. I sure as gently caress would have dropped plans to give Edge a title run (let alone one where he wants to work with newer guys) after he put himself out of action in The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever

An injury that could happen to anyone on steroids is hardly a reason to kill plans for a push.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

your friend wicka posted:

The way Dave discussed it recently made it sound kind of the opposite, like WWE's doctors are incompetently telling guys they can't wrestle ever again and other doctors are telling them otherwise.

Yeah I thought every doctor BUT WWE's doctor cleared Bryan years ago and the theory was Vince wanted Bryan out of commission so he could give Roman the top face push and not have to worry about Bryan and the fans hijacking it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's not true, they also refused his request for a release so he couldn't go to New Japan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

your friend wicka posted:

Wasn't WWE's top medical guy for ages that chiropractor of extremely dubious provenance but who might have been Sub-Zero in the first Mortal Kombat movie?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1359253492263571460?s=20

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wow, 500,000.. that's like, loving nothing for them.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't WWE's top medical guy for ages that chiropractor of extremely dubious provenance but who might have been Sub-Zero in the first Mortal Kombat movie?
Roughly '98-'99...yes, I believe so.

Francois Petit. Referred to as a "self-trained chiropractor" on an episode of Austin's podcast. Some accounts, like Kevin Kelly's profile of him for Raw Magazine, suggest he was primarily a massage therapist:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1028848617350680576
As is plainly obvious reading the article, he's full of poo poo. And the website for massage licenses in California lists no license—any status—for anyone named Francois Petit. So...who knows what his deal actually was beyond being a masseur of some kind that a few wrestlers spoke up for as a miracle worker. But there was absolutely a time where he was their entire medical staff, hence his bizarre interference with the EMTs trying to save Owen Hart.

EDIT: Jericho, in his second book, outright said Francois was all they had when he got to the WWF (as opposed to WCW, which had, at a minimum, at least two athletic trainers who would be referenced by name on TV when they were integrated into angles):

https://twitter.com/AnthonySkatz/status/1028845627915075585

I don't doubt that someone spending an extensive amount of time in east Asia—if he really did—could amass a lot of massage or related training that they couldn't use towards a license in the U.S. without starting over with their schooling. But he still raises a bunch of red flags.

As for WWE, I'm not sure when they even first had an athletic trainer, or if there ever was one before Larry Heck. I pulled up his LinkedIn page to try to get an idea...but he weirdly has no start date listed?!?! https://www.linkedin.com/in/larry-heck-lat-atc-626563102

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 10, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cool, love to accept how loving dumb the show is as long as Vince makes money I guess lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Ratings obsessed mind" is one for the books. You're obsessed with the single most important metric that literally determines everything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The last episode of Raw was worth a little over 5 million dollars to WWE.

In case you're keeping score at home, 5 million is 10 times more than 500,000.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I like how there’s zero consideration of “so what the hell happens when Bunny moves on from doing this” going on

It’s like anyone who actually considers themselves within the WWE fandom has swallowed the “all that matters is now! Moments are the thing! People don’t care if things make sense! THE BRAND, MIKEY, THE BRAND!” bullshit that everyone who works for the company has swallowed.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

DLC Inc posted:

cool, love to accept how loving dumb the show is as long as Vince makes money I guess lol
I'll defend Ryan here a little bit: It was explicitly a ratings/business tweet.
https://twitter.com/Malichi5299/status/1359250602195320854
I guess Ryan had tweeted a hot take about Bad Bunny being good for ratings or something like that so that guy decided to troll him or whatever? But it's not a discussion about the quality of the show.

As I always say: He says/does enough outlandish things that we don't really need to stretch for examples.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

The last episode of Raw was worth a little over 5 million dollars to WWE.

In case you're keeping score at home, 5 million is 10 times more than 500,000.

It's like when people brag about how much money WWE makes from youtube. At most, they make like, $12 million a year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A more interesting reply is "Ryan, how much is Bad Bunny being paid because that is the only way we can evaluate if $500,000 is a good return at this point or not. Also, what is WWE's profit on those items and is any money going to Bad Bunny?"

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I don’t think ratings are the most important metric. Better Call Saul is possibly the best active show on television and does less viewership than RAW on average. It will also be remembered for 50 years and RAW and Smackdown probably won’t. Ratings are weird and useless metrics in an internet age where people half engage with the media they love and half engage with the media they hate. There are dozens of metrics that matter and ratings are just one element. Social media views are huge, hate is as valuable as adoration now, I don’t get why ratings are such a big conversation piece outside of console wars style brand alignment for fans to play games with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don’t think ratings are the most important metric. Better Call Saul is possibly the best active show on television and does less viewership than RAW on average. It will also be remembered for 50 years and RAW and Smackdown probably won’t. Ratings are weird and useless metrics in an internet age where people half engage with the media they love and half engage with the media they hate. There are dozens of metrics that matter and ratings are just one element. Social media views are huge, hate is as valuable as adoration now, I don’t get why ratings are such a big conversation piece outside of console wars style brand alignment for fans to play games with.

Because TV networks are paying giant amounts of money for shows and they judge them based on ratings!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A big difference is Better Call Saul is a serialized, seasonal show with a set begining and end that a lot of people will watch in ways other than first run TV. WWE is... Not something people do that with. You don't wait for the season to be over to binge it all on Netflix. The people who watch the show the night of are the people who are going to watch it, and that's that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As someone who doesn't watch Better Call Saul it looks like its demos last season were a little higher than WWE just did.

Some shows are on for different reasons. It's good when prestige stuff gets viewers but it also has some value when it wins awards and can be sold in syndication and streaming.

With Raw it's on to buoy USA's overall viewership (which has been tanking) and to also pull in the demo. It's not there to win awards or whatever, it's a show that's on to get viewers. So since people mostly hate the show now, and just saying "it's bad" isn't exciting in wrestling (which even calls itself "the business") it's easy to point out the ratings keep sliding.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

There’s also probably different costs involved where it’s not easy to make a 1:1 comparison between WWE and any given prestige drama, for example, I doubt Netflix is paying a billion dollars for the exclusive streaming rights to Better Call Saul the way Peacock is for WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

There’s also probably different costs involved where it’s not easy to make a 1:1 comparison between WWE and any given prestige drama, for example, I doubt Netflix is paying a billion dollars for the exclusive streaming rights to Better Call Saul the way Peacock is for WWE.

The streaming rights for WWE Network are basically paying for a subscriber base, a subscriber base that is paying for first run content, and then also for a giant library. Friends which is what, 50 hours of programming cost $500 million for the streaming rights.

Some of the recent cable prestige shows will get big money too. (The ones that aren't owned by a company with a service.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Cameo posted:

I like how there’s zero consideration of “so what the hell happens when Bunny moves on from doing this” going on

It’s like anyone who actually considers themselves within the WWE fandom has swallowed the “all that matters is now! Moments are the thing! People don’t care if things make sense! THE BRAND, MIKEY, THE BRAND!” bullshit that everyone who works for the company has swallowed.

More to the point, what does it say about your brand if a guest star immediately becomes the top merch seller above your own supposed stars?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That kinda reminds me of Bullet Club shirts immediately rocketing to the top of PWT after the angle started on Dynamite.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

Francois Petit. Referred to as a "self-trained chiropractor" on an episode of Austin's podcast. Some accounts, like Kevin Kelly's profile of him for Raw Magazine, suggest he was primarily a massage therapist

They're the same thing he just doesn't have the med school debt.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MassRafTer posted:

The streaming rights for WWE Network are basically paying for a subscriber base, a subscriber base that is paying for first run content, and then also for a giant library. Friends which is what, 50 hours of programming cost $500 million for the streaming rights.

Some of the recent cable prestige shows will get big money too. (The ones that aren't owned by a company with a service.)

Sure, same principle behind Comcast pulling back The Office for Peacock.

The streaming services feel a little Wild West in that there are a lot of big swings happening to try and figure out what’s going to generate and maintain subscribers.

I think everyone here understands that ratings aren’t the be all end all, but also you are right that grossing half a million on merch off a guy who almost certainly can negotiate a favorable split probably isn’t the big deal Satin would like people to believe it is.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pylons posted:

That kinda reminds me of Bullet Club shirts immediately rocketing to the top of PWT after the angle started on Dynamite.

I got an email from NJPW promoting KENTA's shirts before I even knew he showed up

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/QuentinBerkley/with_replies

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuentinBerkley/status/1353721886220423176

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 10, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please can we not use this thread for creepy internet stalkers

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
yeah I'll be honest that poo poo's more unsettling than it is entertaining

I wish I could unread tweets

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i’ve asked this for literally years lol i think we’ve lost this battle troops

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

someday we will go a single week without someone posting a literal stalker or someone obviously in mental health crisis in this thread, but not this week.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pylons posted:

Wow, 500,000.. that's like, loving nothing for them.

Listen here bud that's enough to pay for two, hell maybe even three mid carders to sit in catering all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Sure, same principle behind Comcast pulling back The Office for Peacock.

The streaming services feel a little Wild West in that there are a lot of big swings happening to try and figure out what’s going to generate and maintain subscribers.

I think everyone here understands that ratings aren’t the be all end all, but also you are right that grossing half a million on merch off a guy who almost certainly can negotiate a favorable split probably isn’t the big deal Satin would like people to believe it is.

Half a million in merch sales is like... ten to fifteen thousand shirts. Which frankly isn't that many. It's what Pro Wrestling Tees shifted on All In weekend.