Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Wasn't expecting Pat Toomey to vote aye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
McConnell No
Cruz No

Romney Aye
Cassidy Aye
Toomey Aye

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
It's been pretty interesting to see the lady's hand placement while calling names for votes. Automatically to No for the GOP and Automatically to Yes for the Dems.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1359262491495157762

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hard to see it going any other way tbh

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1359263908477960199

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the ayes for and what comes next?

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

I can see Romney, Murkowski, and maybe Sasse voting to convict. But that's all. I would be surprised if any of the other ayes today actually voted against Trump at the end.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Like the national republicans give a gently caress. They are on the course to making voting for a democrat illegal.

We will never have a close election in this country again. The Proto Nazi GOP will continue to legislate away our freedom to vote.

Time to make the a pro 2nd amendment movement leftist agenda again. Because otherwise we are hosed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Does the trial proceed then? Also loving lol that Mitch wanted to bury this thing last minute in procedural vote he caused

Never change you obstructionist old gently caress :fuckoff:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Grouchio posted:

What are the ayes for and what comes next?

It was a vote for "Is it constitutional to impeach a former president?"

Basically, the trial can move forward, starting noon tomorrow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TulliusCicero posted:

Does the trial proceed then? Also loving lol that Mitch wanted to bury this thing last minute in procedural vote he caused

Never change you obstructionist old gently caress :fuckoff:

It proceeds, although is unlikely to convict as it requires a two thirds.

gently caress the GOP.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I can see Romney, Murkowski, and maybe Sasse voting to convict. But that's all. I would be surprised if any of the other ayes today actually voted against Trump at the end.

Why not Toomey? I haven't been paying attention to him too much, but since he voted yes today and is retiring, it seems like he could be a likely vote?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They couldn't even get 60 votes in favour of the procedure being constitutional? Christ, the GOP really is corrupt to the core.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

At this point we bury the GOP in a trial and every major piece of evidence and hope either that 10 of the spineless fucks grow a conscience or we can use the scandal to crush them in 2022 and the FBI/ Administration charge Trump criminally immediately afterward anyway

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/jonmladd/status/1359264505784659968

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

At this point we bury the GOP in a trial and every major piece of evidence and hope either that 10 of the spineless fucks grow a conscience or we can use the scandal to crush them in 2022 and the FBI/ Administration charge Trump criminally immediately afterward anyway

Even if he never gets impeached he can still be arrested :getin:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His voters love that poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

I feel like that is predicated on the idea that the legality is the important point and not that a lot of people think that storming the capitol was good and should have succeeded and don't see why anyone should be punished for supporting it.

Like being completely partisan is only a downside if you don't like what the party does.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Kalit posted:

Why not Toomey? I haven't been paying attention to him too much, but since he voted yes today and is retiring, it seems like he could be a likely vote?

PA's pretty evenly split politically, and even though he's retiring I don't think he'll want to risk the seat at the end of the day. I also think it's the same reason Cassidy voted yes, that he recognizes that the Senate has jurisdiction (and is putting aside partisan politics for the moment) and that affirming today's vote is important for future events. That doesn't mean he's going to vote to convict Trump.

EDIT: MSNBC just had video of Cassidy explaining why he voted in favor. He basically said the House did a better job in presenting their case.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1359270889490059265

Chuck Bartowski fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 9, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1359272249153499142

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 9, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The problem is that there is no "heart of the defense teams argument." It's all just blather.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Almost makes me wish trump had his Twitter back for the impeachment. Almost.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I feel like poo poo this evening but this is a good day

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yessssssss

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They really needed to call Trump as a witness. There's zero chance that it wouldn't blow up in his face. Still no conviction, of course, but it would be huge to the public.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe trump will get so mad at the defense being given that he’ll take over, like with those covid press briefings.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Random Stranger posted:

They really needed to call Trump as a witness. There's zero chance that it wouldn't blow up in his face. Still no conviction, of course, but it would be huge to the public.

Most everyone here seems to agree that Trump won't be removed/convicted because ROFL GOP.

It's just that, maybe, just maybe, Trump manages to gently caress up *so bad* through his lawyers and/or his own words that the improbable happens: 16 GOP Senators vote to remove.

One can dream.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Most everyone here seems to agree that Trump won't be removed/convicted because ROFL GOP.

It's just that, maybe, just maybe, Trump manages to gently caress up *so bad* through his lawyers and/or his own words that the improbable happens: 16 GOP Senators vote to remove.

One can dream.

Realistically, what would it take for Trump, right now, to get the GOP to turn on him. I am genuinely drawing a blank.

Edit: We definitely know it's not being responsible for violence. It's been quoted a million times, but the whole "I could shoot someone in the middle of the street and I'd only become more popular" is no exaggeration. If anything, it was a prophecy.

MSB3000 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 10, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MSB3000 posted:

Realistically, what would it take for Trump, right now, to get the GOP to turn on him. I am genuinely drawing a blank.

Become a Democrat?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its because trump wants a big slobby blow job defence with speechs at the end of every 80s/90s/sandler movie, while the smarter ones just want enough "cover" to go "uh sure he MIGHT have done it but uh too late gently caress you" type poo poo.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

One can dream.

my impression is it will be way closer than anyone expects. like 11 GOP ghouls vote to convict or some poo poo. depends on a bunch of poo poo and mostly on if trump fucks up enough.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Maybe trump will get so mad at the defense being given that he’ll take over, like with those covid press briefings.

he might. i am hoping he forces his lawyers to go with his defense plans(some of them seem to be) and he just goes full "biden cheated" mode.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MSB3000 posted:

Corporate money to dry up and threatening to lock out GOP from banking jobs.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my impression is it will be way closer than anyone expects. like 11 GOP ghouls vote to convict or some poo poo. depends on a bunch of poo poo and mostly on if trump fucks up enough.

i don't really expect this, but the MTG vote didn't go the way i thought it would so who knows

hope springs eternal

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

MSB3000 posted:

Nothing that would realistically happen. He'd have to come in to the senate, say "yes I did it and I'll do it again. I'll kill you all if you try to stop me."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

i don't really expect this, but the MTG vote didn't go the way i thought it would so who knows

hope springs eternal

yeah. like i said, i dont expect a conviction unless the defence goes full insane OR the house airs some super dirty and obvious poo poo and even than it would be big "maybe".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Nothing that would realistically happen. He'd have to come in to the senate, say "yes I did it and I'll do it again. I'll kill you all if you try to stop me."

ehh, even than most would bend the knee. they are more afraid of getting primaried by the loud conservative small buenssess tyrant rear end in a top hat who shows up at their town hall to rant about "them" and ask them why they arnt doing poo poo fast enough.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MSB3000 posted:

Edit: We definitely know it's not being responsible for violence. It's been quoted a million times, but the whole "I could shoot someone in the middle of the street and I'd only become more popular" is no exaggeration. If anything, it was a prophecy.

Supposedly there is evidence that directly links the WH to conversations with the Proud Boy and Oathkeeper leadership

There is no way those loving imbeciles covered their tracks if that's the case

Also, they should totally call Flynn and the Mypillow dude to testify :getin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Supposedly there is evidence that directly links the WH to conversations with the Proud Boy and Oathkeeper leadership

There is no way those loving imbeciles covered their tracks if that's the case

Also, they should totally call Flynn and the Mypillow dude to testify :getin:

so can they force them or even trump to testfy?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1359273847434993673

already posted but lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

:sickos: Yesssss...scream into the void Donald. Scream your soul dry into an empty cold abyss that will one day consume your existence

Edit: Donald, the only way to save yourself is to come to Washington and testify. Do it Donald.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have a link to the video they played at the beginning of the trial?