Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
2/3 of the way through the game you get an achievement pop-up and then you check your achievements and they're all gone. For every game. And then you remember what game you're playing and you think ha ha good one guys but then you beat the game and it turns out it was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Console shuts off your TV via HDMI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PS4 patch application dialog comes up, but the progress bar keeps going slower and slower

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

christmas boots posted:

2/3 of the way through the game you get an achievement pop-up and then you check your achievements and they're all gone. For every game. And then you remember what game you're playing and you think ha ha good one guys but then you beat the game and it turns out it was real.

All of your PS4 trophy screenshots are just black screens and loading bars.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tuning it to one console probably makes it a lot easier to craft specific scares, like I saw the PS4 crash & database rebuild screen enough that I would freak out in a way that I wouldn't on other systems if someone faked that.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The controller speaker could add some fun scares too. I always wanted a game to use the camera to subtly draw a 'reflection' on the screen, and then add stuff to it, like someone standing behind you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You hear the Teams/Zoom/Discord call noise, and panic to minimise the game and answer, but get this - you're being drunk dialed by aliens

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nintendo doesn't just have the rights to the game they also have a patent on the sanity effect they used so it would be next to impossible for anyone to make a follow-up of any kind since Nintendo isn't interested in it anymore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Nintendo doesn't just have the rights to the game they also have a patent on the sanity effect they used so it would be next to impossible for anyone to make a follow-up of any kind since Nintendo isn't interested in it anymore.

I was gonna ask if that should be expiring soon since its been nearly 20 years, checked the patents and saw this:

2021-11-05
Adjusted expiration

... Did nintendo extend the patent of something they have never used again?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I was gonna ask if that should be expiring soon since its been nearly 20 years, checked the patents and saw this:

2021-11-05
Adjusted expiration

that's how patent works

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

that's more of a yoko thing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Streamers getting popups from Xelothoth telling them they're being demon-etized.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Tunicate posted:

that's more of a yoko thing

On that note, I'm so pleased I actually played through to the final (D?) ending of NieR rather than just watching it on YouTube.

There was something genuinely surprisingly moving about watching *my* progress vanish from the menus, culminating with my save file being deleted that just wouldn't have come across from watching it on someone else's playthrough

Dang I hope there's DLC to let me play as Grumpy Dad NieR in the remake

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

The controller speaker could add some fun scares too. I always wanted a game to use the camera to subtly draw a 'reflection' on the screen, and then add stuff to it, like someone standing behind you.

Finally, a use for Kinect

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The theory of sanity effects in 2021: an array of clever subtle effects that unsettle the player, often based on the technology surrounding gaming

The reality of sanity effects in 2021: patch notes v1.02: added Herobrine and Jason

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

2021-11-05
Adjusted expiration

Stunt_enby posted:

that's how patent works

Wow, Metal Gear Solid's whole thing with the Patriots suppressing technology makes a whole lot more sense now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Jim Sterling, as always, said this perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07trilIiilk

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

does it count if you can just fuckin dive into the water and stab the fish?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Phy posted:

Warframe has a fishing minigame. You can also catch robot fish in supercooled gel and infested monster fish floating in the air above a moon made of meat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Phy posted:

RE4 wins again!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've been deeply enthralled by Dyson sphere program the last week and my favorite thing is just flying around the universe and solar system, as everything looks very cool and it's all persistent. The solar sails I shoot into orbits around the sun with my fuckoff gauss guns can be visited by me, my transporter shuttles are visible all the way, the rays of the sun look impressive for what kind of game it is. Also I visited a black hole after traveling for 15 minutes and I legit got a huge feeling of dread when I got close. They glow like some black demonic eye from afar, it's rad. I hope they increase these things during the development, rings around planets and comets would be awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heavy Rain is a bad video game but I will give David Cage and his ilk props for making the music in the club scenes actually be suffocatingly loud. It's balanced very well such that the dialogue and the voices are at about the same volume level, so the music doesn't hurt YOUR ears nor does it keep you from hearing what the characters are saying because they made the actors actually shout. Too many video games wimp out on either making loud stuff be genuinely loud OR making the actors sound like they're on a set instead of in a booth with processing added later to make it sound like they're speaking up. For an example of a game doing this incredibly wrong, see Deus Ex Human Revolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdgXteFV4qc&t=330s
(timestamp 5:30)

Elias Toufexis explained in an interview that the direction for this scene was very bad, they were told the chopper would be loud in the background, but nobody specified HOW loud, so he and Sarif's voice actor spoke at different volume levels during their individual recording sessions. And not only that but the chopper didn't end up being loud in the final product so it just sounds really weird!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Feb 11, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Phy posted:

There are very, very few games that I've enjoyed the fishing minigames in. Most of the time they seemed half-baked or just shoved in as a time waster.

EDIT: We need a new Legend of the River King.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Detroit: Become Human starts with you putting a suffocating fish back in an aquarium, so does that make it the worst game that has ever existed because not only is there not a fishing minigame, you actively un-fish a fish that at one point was already fished out by someone else?

I don't need you to answer, I already know

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CJacobs posted:

Detroit: Become Human starts with you putting a suffocating fish back in an aquarium, so does that make it the worst game that has ever existed because not only is there not a fishing minigame, you actively un-fish a fish that at one point was already fished out by someone else?

I don't need you to answer, I already know

He's pretty small so he should have been thrown back regardless.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Playing KOTOR 2 and abusing the hell out of a save game editor is fantastic. Mandalore dual wields lightsabers now!

I wonder if I can get HK-47 to use melee weapons.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vandar posted:

There are very, very few games that I've enjoyed the fishing minigames in. Most of the time they seemed half-baked or just shoved in as a time waster.

I would buy a new River King game day one.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Vandar posted:

There's plenty of good games that also have a fishing minigame Ive never actually played any of the minigames because if I wanted to sit around and do nothing I'd just actually go fishing lol.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Since they've turned back up in the news recently, I was reminded of how well the Ace Attorney prequels (the ones set in London with Sherlock Holmes) recontextualized the difficulty in trials.

The game is all about convincing the jury that your case is solid, which takes the usual Ace Attorney form of having to outline all of the events step by step to refute whatever the prosecution said. But it makes complete sense in the prequels, because most of the jurors are period-accurate racist (so, 'extremely and overtly'). Of course you have to go above and beyond to prove your case; you're a Japanese defense attorney trying to argue with a courtroom full of British racists.

Given those games are in the news because they're apparently getting an official English release... wow, I can't wait to see how they handle localizing that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Eat your nandos Apollo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
They're old British racists. America can handle that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys VIII is probably the only game with a fishing-minigame that doesnt blow given how simple and straight-forward it is,

While the Yakuza series has its series of re-occurring mini-games like Blackjack, Poker, Shogi etc, every title usually has a game where some inane activity is hyper visualized. In Like A Dragon you can watch movies in the theatre and the goal is to stay awake via a rhythm game. You have to press the right button when the REM Rams show up but avoid hitting the Alarm Cocks. Victory is sitting though the whole movie without falling asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec7N51tIfBg&t=64s

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Every new thing I hear about Yakuza makes it sound stupider and stupider.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

packetmantis posted:

The charm of Yakuza is that the main storyline is played completely straight and the side quests are absolutely bonkers.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ys VIII is probably the only game with a fishing-minigame that doesnt blow given how simple and straight-forward it is,

While the Yakuza series has its series of re-occurring mini-games like Blackjack, Poker, Shogi etc, every title usually has a game where some inane activity is hyper visualized. In Like A Dragon you can watch movies in the theatre and the goal is to stay awake via a rhythm game. You have to press the right button when the REM Rams show up but avoid hitting the Alarm Cocks. Victory is sitting though the whole movie without falling asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec7N51tIfBg&t=64s

I had to click on that to see whether "Alarm Cocks" was a typo or not.

It was not.

Also, I suppose falling asleep at movies might be a much larger problem in Japan, given their whole work culture.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

packetmantis posted:

In the best way possible

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm consistently enjoying how Fenyx Rising makes its combat stand out just a bit. It's very obviously an iteration of the standard AssCreed system, but adding in an aerial combo system where you can float around and do increased damage based on your Icarus wings just makes it feel so much more dynamic. Not to mention constantly having your bird friend around to launch fireballs into the battles as a secondary attack.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

packetmantis posted:

It's really dumb and good.

If you play it yourself, you'll get it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yakuza would be perfect on the Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

packetmantis posted:

Yakuza 0 is often cheap and the best place to start. It's just a plain great game.