Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that just sounds like Snyder wanted to finish telling his story. Which always seemed to be the case. And that apparently includes Leto's Joker and Heard's Mera.

That's probably one of the drawbacks with an uncompromising artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s Zack Snyder putting every single superhero thing he’s ever wanted to see into one movie because there’s a good chance he won’t get to make another. This is likely his last chance to do his take on the Batman/Joker dynamic, so sex pest be damned, he’s going to do that scene!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I'm confused. Is there actually something attributing this to contractual obligations? I was under the impression that was just a "devil's advocate/benefit of the doubt" theory.

No, it's purely me giving the benefit of the doubt. As I said, he was quick to replace a sex pest on Army of the Dead so that I think that leaves two main possibilities:

1. Snyder doesn't believe the Leto allegations.
2. Snyder can't recast the character even if he wanted to.

Well, I guess there's also the possibility that Snyder believes the allegations and continued on anyway, which would make the Army of the Dead casting more curious.

It's all speculation, so unless there's something definitive from Snyder saying otherwise, I'm choosing to believe option 2 for now. I'm not sure any director can be fully blamed for the casting in these comic book and Star Wars movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Has Snyder ever recast a role in a sequel? Maybe he just really, really hates it when movies do that. Just silently seething at the mere sight of Don Cheedle and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Roth posted:

No, it's purely me giving the benefit of the doubt. As I said, he was quick to replace a sex pest on Army of the Dead so that I think that leaves two main possibilities:

1. Snyder doesn't believe the Leto allegations.
2. Snyder can't recast the character even if he wanted to.

Well, I guess there's also the possibility that Snyder believes the allegations and continued on anyway, which would make the Army of the Dead casting more curious.
I mean a 3rd option seems like it would be that the Army of the Dead thing was something he felt he could change because it was still new while in this case regardless if he believes the Leto accusations or doesn't Leto is his Joker so he's artistically married to it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the Chris D'Elia allegations were more specific and direct. The Leto stuff is more like there's a lot of smoke around him.

I base this mainly on that Chris D'Elia's allegations are on his Wikipedia page, and Leto's aren't mentioned at all on his.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Roth posted:

It's all speculation, so unless there's something definitive from Snyder saying otherwise, I'm choosing to believe option 2 for now. I'm not sure any director can be fully blamed for the casting in these comic book and Star Wars movies.
But... we have something definitive from Snyder? Like, the bit from the Vanity Fair interview I quoted where he says it'd be "uncool" if Affleck's Batman and Leto's Joker never met on-camera? I mean, "because I thought the actor should play the role again" seems pretty definitive as to why Leto; it has to be Leto because that's the whole point of the scene apparently. I mean yes, he could be lying to VF here, but unless it comes out he was blinking "WB HAVE GLUED A BOMB TO MY DOG SEND HELP" through the interview I feel like that's a bit of a reach, y'know?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I mean a 3rd option seems like it would be that the Army of the Dead thing was something he felt he could change because it was still new while in this case regardless if he believes the Leto accusations or doesn't Leto is his Joker so he's artistically married to it.

That's true too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mal-3 posted:

But... we have something definitive from Snyder? Like, the bit from the Vanity Fair interview I quoted where he says it'd be "uncool" if Affleck's Batman and Leto's Joker never met on-camera? I mean, "because I thought the actor should play the role again" seems pretty definitive as to why Leto; it has to be Leto because that's the whole point of the scene apparently. I mean yes, he could be lying to VF here, but unless it comes out he was blinking "WB HAVE GLUED A BOMB TO MY DOG SEND HELP" through the interview I feel like that's a bit of a reach, y'know?

I honestly missed that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
A fourth option is that pulling D'Ellia was something forced on Snyder by Netflix, which cancelled another project involving D'Ellia at the same time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, the distinction here is that this is the Snyder Cut; not the WB Cut, and certainly not the Disney Cut. Like, at the end of the day I don't think this is actually that big a deal or that, realistically-speaking, no one is ever going to put Leto into things again...but we're supposed to believe this is Snyder's 100% personal, 100% uncompromised vision that's free from all that pesky corporate meddling that he's supposedly so critical of. If that's what we're being sold, then the buck doesn't stop at the executives anymore, the buck stops at Snyder himself. Otherwise...well, the jokes have already written themselves, haven't they? Snyder Cut (But Not Really). Snyder Cut*. Snyder Cut For Now.

And then add to that the fact that this is supposedly the only extra footage that he specifically requested to be added. He had every option to omit this addition if he really wanted to.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's always disappointing when a sex pest gets promoted because they've got a big role in a promising movie.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah the vanity fair interview makes it pretty clear he just thinks the joker is cool and seeing this joker and this batman together would be cool

he said in the same interview that he'd like to do a whole thing about how joker killed robin in a sequel but he doubts he gets a sequel, no mention made of whether his hypothetical sequel would also feature Jared Leto

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Karloff posted:

I think the Chris D'Elia allegations were more specific and direct. The Leto stuff is more like there's a lot of smoke around him.

I base this mainly on that Chris D'Elia's allegations are on his Wikipedia page, and Leto's aren't mentioned at all on his.

This, I think is what it ultimately boils down to. The Chris D’Elia stuff was widely reported on and Letos awful poo poo really hasn’t. Like it’s confirmed he has a weird island vacation cult but no one in Hollywood really seems to care or talk about it. He was also in some movie that HBO Max released like a couple weeks ago. Whatever the case may be Leto seems to have enough pull where the allegations are clearly not stopping him from getting casted in things. It sucks!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think, regardless, we can all agree: Jared Leto is not ftw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, the distinction here is that this is the Snyder Cut; not the WB Cut, and certainly not the Disney Cut. Like, at the end of the day I don't think this is actually that big a deal or that, realistically-speaking, no one is ever going to put Leto into things again...but we're supposed to believe this is Snyder's 100% personal, 100% uncompromised vision that's free from all that pesky corporate meddling that he's supposedly so critical of. If that's what we're being sold, then the buck doesn't stop at the executives anymore, the buck stops at Snyder himself. Otherwise...well, the jokes have already written themselves, haven't they? Snyder Cut (But Not Really). Snyder Cut*. Snyder Cut For Now.

And then add to that the fact that this is supposedly the only extra footage that he specifically requested to be added. He had every option to omit this addition if he really wanted to.

Dude has a Morbius movie coming out too which is just as lovely.

It's also super weird that people are bending over backwards to explain why Jered Leto has godlike control over Zach Snyder TBH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a weird point of contention.

Jared Leto is bad.
This is Snyder's Cut.
Snyder seemed to very much go out of his way to use Leto.
That's bad.
Snyder won't be the last person to give Leto a role.

edit: And there's probably a certain amount of "Whedon is responsible for the bad stuff, but heres a bad thing not in Whedon's version that Snyder seems responsible for" dissonance?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 10, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
let it not go unsaid that a scene where joker sits down and analyzes batman in an empty room sounds like the most overtread poo poo to be getting excited about, to me, personally

like, what new is there to do with this

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
joker's gonna be like "what if it's YOU that's crazy" and ben affleck's gonna do the pikachu face

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

let it not go unsaid that a scene where joker sits down and analyzes batman in an empty room sounds like the most overtread poo poo to be getting excited about, to me, personally

like, what new is there to do with this

No you don't get it man, this joker is twisted.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batfleck says "I'm rich"

End scene.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Vince MechMahon posted:

But he's not even damaged so what's the point

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vince MechMahon posted:

Actually his damaged, not twisted. It says so on his forehead.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
how has this version of batman not killed this version of joker yet anyway

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lunatic Sledge posted:

joker's gonna be like "what if it's YOU that's crazy" and ben affleck's gonna do the pikachu face

Exclusive leaked photo from that scene

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how has this version of batman not killed this version of joker yet anyway

If it's like most heroes in films, he will kill a bunch of henchmen but keep the main villain alive as proof that the system works/he won't prove the villain right by killing them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Joker saw Batman killing everyone and decided to just avoid him. He leaves his texts asking to meet up on read.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

Actually his damaged, not twisted. It says so on his forehead.

Look again. That's why it's so twisted, maaaaaaan.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roth posted:

I am also hoping that Leto's Joker is in it to get killed by Superman, since his scenes are in the bad future.

New theory: Snyder Cut is a backdoor pilot for the Injustice movieverse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

I was flipping through the new Entertainment Weekly last week while at the grocery store, and they had an interview with Tig, and they made it sound like all of their footage was shot on green screen and inserted in post.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

I was flipping through the new Entertainment Weekly last week while at the grocery store, and they had an interview with Tig, and they made it sound like all of their footage was shot on green screen and inserted in post.

I'm sure changing actors mid production added technical difficulties. I was saying that its possible Snyder feels artistically bothered by recasting an already established character. Its the difference of replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle in the sequel vs replacing Eric Stoltz with Michael J Fox before the first film comes out.

I think its a bad excuse but it seems more likely than the idea that the studio/contracts forced him to film new scenes with Leto for the online director's cut.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Everyone loves Don Cheadle though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Snyder should have recast Joker with Nick Cage then. Everyone would be happy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm sure changing actors mid production added technical difficulties. I was saying that its possible Snyder feels artistically bothered by recasting an already established character. Its the difference of replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle in the sequel vs replacing Eric Stoltz with Michael J Fox before the first film comes out.

I think its a bad excuse but it seems more likely than the idea that the studio/contracts forced him to film new scenes with Leto for the online director's cut.

Oh, I thought you were saying it was happened mid-filming (like Back to the Future), and the EW article read like all of Tig's scenes were shot after filming had wrapped, and instead of completely reshooting it with all the actors, they just filmed new stuff with Tig, and inserted into the already existing footage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, i just meant it from like a "replace the established actor for the character" sense. My bad for not being more clear.

I don't know the timeline for when Leto's accusations made news and when Snyder filmed new scenes with him. And like I said at the start of this I have no idea how important Joker is to Snyder's story that if it came to it he couldn't just cut him out of the film. But it all does feel like the common theme of the Snyder Cut is that its the fulfillment of Snyder's original vision so it makes sense Leto is part of that, even if its a huge bummer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Well Snyder should have recast Joker with Nick Cage then. Everyone would be happy.

He should have recast Batman as Jared Leto and cast Joker as Ben Affleck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not too late to digitally replace Jared Leto with Amanda Plummer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would definitely watch that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's not too late to digitally replace Jared Leto with Amanda Plummer.

Gotham had an ep with Lori Petty as a "Joker", and she was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You know, instead of Leto-Joker, if Snyder wanted to add a fun reference, Batman should be psycho-analysed by Harley Quinn. You know, the *actual* psychiatrist.