Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DoctaFun posted:

I don’t think it specifies either of those, I’ll have to check. It’s one of the darkest whiskies in my collection, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it has some coloring.

at 23 years sherry finished it's probably going to be pretty dark without coloring even if it was entirely 3rd+ fill casks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

spankmeister posted:

Onna similar note; my cleaning lady, bless her heart she is such a sweet person, saw that I had been boarding whisk(e)y for the past year or so and got me a gift of a "whiskies of the world" sample pack. They're 5cl sample bottles of Irish, Canadian, Scotch and Kentucky whisk(e)y. I think it's from the German Lidl.

I really do appreciate the thought but they are each of them the vilest, most horrible rot gut drams of anything I've ever tasted. It's quite something, actually kind of fun.

Now, one thing I've noticed is that all of them contain caramel coloring. At least that's what each of the labels say, because that's something that is required by law to put on the label in Germany.

Including the Kentucky whiskey, which is a 5 year old straight kentucky bourbon. Now I find that to be quite odd because I didn't think it was allowed to put caramel coloring in straight whiskey.

I guess those laws don't apply outside of the US?

Wrong topic for this thread but my wife bought me a "hot sauces of the world" sampler for Christmas this year and 80% of them tasted like overly salty and vinegary-y Tabasco. Even the handful that had some of their own notes had the same basic undertaste. I hesitated to tell her (but eventually did) because I do generally like hot sauce and actually enjoy getting weird samplers like that, and didn't want to discourage her from trying again.

I wish I could find something like a whiskey sampler around here. Last time we were in Vermont I did the tourist thing and nabbed a pack of nips from Smuggler's Notch distillery. On the one hand, it was way more expensive on a per-unit basis than just buying a bottle. On the other hand I didn't have any strong feelings about any of it so I don't feel like I missed out not getting a 750ml.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Wrong topic for this thread but my wife bought me a "hot sauces of the world" sampler for Christmas this year and 80% of them tasted like overly salty and vinegary-y Tabasco. Even the handful that had some of their own notes had the same basic undertaste. I hesitated to tell her (but eventually did) because I do generally like hot sauce and actually enjoy getting weird samplers like that, and didn't want to discourage her from trying again.

I wish I could find something like a whiskey sampler around here. Last time we were in Vermont I did the tourist thing and nabbed a pack of nips from Smuggler's Notch distillery. On the one hand, it was way more expensive on a per-unit basis than just buying a bottle. On the other hand I didn't have any strong feelings about any of it so I don't feel like I missed out not getting a 750ml.

There's places that specialize in samples, like https://drinksbythedram.com/

In other news: Cracked open a bottle of WT Rare Breed. It's good.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
I've never really bought whiskey speculatively before, but saw a bottle of 2019 Glendronach 18 at the store the other day and decided to grab it and hang onto it for awhile. There's a chart floating around that shows it's 24 years old, and hopefully in a few years it becomes something I can swap for a bottle I would otherwise never be able to get.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah you could absolutely do that. You could also just drink it because it is very, very good.

Also, not to burst your bubble but I do believe that starting from 2020 the 18 is 18 again so check your bottle code.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought another bottle of OF 1920 after finishing my first one about a month ago and... it doesn't taste as good as I remember? :smith:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought another bottle of OF 1920 after finishing my first one about a month ago and... it doesn't taste as good as I remember? :smith:

Give it a few weeks after you open it.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

spankmeister posted:

Yeah you could absolutely do that. You could also just drink it because it is very, very good.

Also, not to burst your bubble but I do believe that starting from 2020 the 18 is 18 again so check your bottle code.

It's a 2019. And I have another bottle of it. There's no way I could resist if I didn't.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wow this bourbon is wayyyyy better than its $40 price point. I think I found a new favorite bourbon. 120 proof is fiery but it's so smooth and complex with a tiny splash of water. A+ would recommend.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Casu Marzu posted:

Wow this bourbon is wayyyyy better than its $40 price point. I think I found a new favorite bourbon. 120 proof is fiery but it's so smooth and complex with a tiny splash of water. A+ would recommend.

Oh wow, I've never seen the 120 proof! That's awesome. I recently found a gas station that consistently stocks the 12 year, which is probably my favorite bourbon. Knob is really good stuff and at a fair price.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Nimmy posted:

Oh wow, I've never seen the 120 proof! That's awesome. I recently found a gas station that consistently stocks the 12 year, which is probably my favorite bourbon. Knob is really good stuff and at a fair price.

Casu Marzu posted:

Store picks too are all 120 proof, usually under $50 and range from 9 years all the way up to 15 (if you can find them, rumors are the older picks are going away). Definitely one of the best values in Bourbon out there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Store picks too are all 120 proof, usually under $50 and range from 9 years all the way up to 15 (if you can find them, rumors are the older picks are going away). Definitely one of the best values in Bourbon out there.

Well, drat. KC has been in my blind spot for ages. Def need to keep my eye out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Drink the glendronach op. It’s probably my favourite dram for the money. Amazing stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is a really excellent value fir what you get. I was so pleasantly surprised by it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH I forgot how much I hate the wax dip on Knob Creek bottles. Hands down the worst wax seals I've ever dealt with.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

OTOH I forgot how much I hate the wax dip on Knob Creek bottles. Hands down the worst wax seals I've ever dealt with.

Their corks are a pain in the rear end too
Yeah they make a tight seal but the grip portion is so tiny and hard to grab and combined with the tightness you need a freaking pliers to get it out

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Is knob creek still making the single barrel at 120 proof? I haven’t seen it in stock in a while.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

They are truly the worst. Crumbly, ugly, and just generally unpleasant to deal with.

But if it helps keep the Knob Creek barrel pick prices down then so be it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I still have a bottle of Knob Creek I got to fill during a distillery tour. I've debated whether to keep it or drink it, and was finally leaning towards drinking it. I'm suddenly not convinced, haha.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds like it will be terrible. You shouldn't drink it. Also, send it my way for disposal.

Speaking of distillery tours, I'm so annoyed I put off doing the bourbon trail a couple years ago now. :negative:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
God yes. Guess whose 2019 Christmas present was Sturgill Simpson tickets in Louisville, May 2020, with a week’s hotel reservations.

Sigh.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I went for my bachelor party in 2019, but we definitely didn't get to hit even 1/3 of the places I would have liked to since it was only a long weekend. We were only really able to hit 3 distilleries outside of Louisville one day and spent the other day and a half hitting the spots in the city.

Definitely going back once we're finally post-vaccination and masks

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I went to Louisville in August and most places were closed for tours. I'm going back in April so hopefully I'll get a chance to check out something new.

I saw Sturgill in Louisville in 2017 and it was sweet.

I'm in Louisville a lot. (Grew up there.)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

It's been a few years, but when I went Beam had the best overall tour. I also really liked Four Roses and Buffalo Trace (BT is not on the official trail if that matters to anyone). Wild Turkey was probably the most disappointing. Half the tour was in a single building looking at 2 grain silos making mash all controlled by a computer. I know that's just modern advancement, but the experience was pretty soulless.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

It's been a few years, but when I went Beam had the best overall tour. I also really liked Four Roses and Buffalo Trace (BT is not on the official trail if that matters to anyone). Wild Turkey was probably the most disappointing. Half the tour was in a single building looking at 2 grain silos making mash all controlled by a computer. I know that's just modern advancement, but the experience was pretty soulless.

I'm guessing that you didn't have Bubba as your tour guide at WT - he makes the whole thing a fantastic experience

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

No our WT tour guide was a younger guy. The best tour guide we had by a country mile was Freddie at Buffalo Trace. He was so good I think it's worth calling ahead to see if you could get on one of his tours.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I did it everyone. I went to total wine today and they had a bottle of EC toasted barrel on the shelf for $42.

Now, I have little interest in that bottle, as I have so many open bottles right now and no room for storage.

So, I picked it up and held it while I looked around. I know it’s somewhat hard to find right now, so the temptation was there. But what did I do, I put it back and left empty handed.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I did it everyone. I went to total wine today and they had a bottle of EC toasted barrel on the shelf for $42.

Now, I have little interest in that bottle, as I have so many open bottles right now and no room for storage.

So, I picked it up and held it while I looked around. I know it’s somewhat hard to find right now, so the temptation was there. But what did I do, I put it back and left empty handed.

You're a good person

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would still have gotten it, not for drinking but for a special gift or perhaps to trade.

( But if it were me me I'd have gotten it and cracked it open the same night )

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I've still got two of the old, squat style of Elijah Craig 12 bottles stashed away.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I definitely enjoy the variety that comes from having a broad collection, but I’m at the point where I’ve really identified some bottles that just hit all the right notes for me, and I’ve stashed a few backups away.

I have a couple backups of:
ECBP B520
Glendronach 18
Aberlour A’bunadh batch 47
Knob creek 15 year store pick

Apart from that, I have so many open bottles that I’ve reached a breaking point on storage. I rationalize this minimal hoarding as I’m a very small fish in the whisky hoarding community, as I see guys with like 60+ bottles of OWA post on Facebook. Deep down though, I suppose I am a part of the problem just like they are :(.

I bought a couple extra Knox creek store picks from my local shop, the shop where I spend 80% of my whisky money and 95% of my beer money. Does that make me different than the guy who bought 6 cases who never shops there? I tell myself yes, but maybe the answer is no.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

I definitely enjoy the variety that comes from having a broad collection, but I’m at the point where I’ve really identified some bottles that just hit all the right notes for me, and I’ve stashed a few backups away.

I have a couple backups of:
ECBP B520
Glendronach 18
Aberlour A’bunadh batch 47
Knob creek 15 year store pick

Apart from that, I have so many open bottles that I’ve reached a breaking point on storage. I rationalize this minimal hoarding as I’m a very small fish in the whisky hoarding community, as I see guys with like 60+ bottles of OWA post on Facebook. Deep down though, I suppose I am a part of the problem just like they are :(.

I bought a couple extra Knox creek store picks from my local shop, the shop where I spend 80% of my whisky money and 95% of my beer money. Does that make me different than the guy who bought 6 cases who never shops there? I tell myself yes, but maybe the answer is no.
I'm in the same boat as you
The only bottle I have more than 1 open/1 backup are ECBP (all different batches anyway) and Four Roses barrel picks (some duplicates, some different)
No need to hoard stuff when there's always something good on a shelf somewhere
I'll usually grab a backup of something I like, like an eagle rare or knob creek pick, or even though I have them, if I see a Stagg jr or Weller on shelf for msrp I'll grab it so I don't feel bad about finishing my open one.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I probably buy significantly more than you guys are taking about. But I generally gift bottles that are harder to find, and occasionally trade them. I’ve paid secondary for one bottle ever, and that was for a housewarming present.

My basement storage has all my unopened bottles. I’d estimate there’s probably two grand in MSRP down there.

I keep the stuff I like and search for backups, then have other lower end bottles to open with company who like bourbon so we can both try something new together (Dickel BiB, etc)

I hate the guys who buy out entire stores and I loving hate the whole culture of liquor stores being weird and sneaky to avoid those guys.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

That's a shame. WT made the trip for me, but it's been awhile, maybe 2008-ish? I'd have to look. We got to meet Jimmy and his son. We toured the warehouse, they told us how quickly whiskey matures in each barrel based on proximity to the doors, watched them remove whiskey from the barrels, it was the highlight of my trip. And the place smelled like bourbon heaven. We could smell the Angel Share from 1/4 mile away. I've read they have modernized and separated the offices from the gift shop, but it was all together back then.

BT was also a good tour, very modernized while trying hard not to look it. Woodford let us taste barrel strength bourbon, only 2 of use were willing, and we had to share a glass. Didn't make it to Beam and 4R was closing just as we got there, but I got to meet Jim Rutledge at a tasting later on, good guy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're ever in Birmingham, look up Dread River Distillery downtown. It's an interesting tour. The tasting room is a huge beautiful bar and lounge, with a good kitchen backing it up. The company's a bit of an odd duck; the team doctor for Alabama and his buddies essentially poured money into starting it up, and they have about 8 million bucks in equipment sitting there running at 15% capacity as they futz around with formulas and grow the brand. They make drat near every spirit (vodka, gin, tequila, whiskey), and apparently the CEO used to be on the ABC board, so they essentially had distribution unlocked from day one.

It'd probably piss off a small craft distiller to see (it's definitely money chasing expertise), but the employees we talked to were nice folks that were really excited about the company. They're just now getting their own bourbon to the age where they can start selling some (it is pretty raw, but smoother than other 4 years I've had).

The other brand in Birmingham is Redmont, which apparently has Charles Barkley as the public-facing owner and doesn't really have any attraction on site like tours or a tasting room yet.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is there anything kind of like Bulleit but less diageo? I love the spicy flavor.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you like the spice in Bulleit, you should be looking for other high rye mashbill bourbons or just a straight up rye whiskey.

Edit: 1792 High Rye, Redemption High Rye, Old Granddad BIB, I think one or two of the Four Roses Single Barrel mash bills is pretty high rye as well.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 13, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Even four roses "low rye" mashbill is higher rye than most other mashbills
Bulliett used to source from them (they may still for some expressions)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A bottle of Rittenhouse 100 is cheap as hell and it's a fantastic rye for the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh yeah, forgot to say thanks for the recs a couple months back, I got my friend crown royal rye and seagrams VO and he really liked them. I've slowly improved my own whiskey tongue as well but not enough to comment