Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Dren posted:

Hard disagree. cmake is much nicer than a pile of crusty make garbage.
I'll take crusty make garbage over baffling cmake garbage any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Well yeah, that's the point I was making. I like to pick the simplest tool for the job at hand. If you project's build needs are relatively simple enough, and does not have to support windows, then Make is typically going to end up being the less-worse solution.

The source of bad experiences with Make seems to me because:
a) When the build becomes more complex, you have to put in that behavior in a way that is not always compatible with Make's rule system. (multi-platform builds, specific library-version dependencies, etc) Hacking that in Make in an elegant way is a hard problem that seems to either rely on Make invoking external tools or some black magic script producing some impenetrable behavior. Something like CMake already hacked that for you, and is pretty good at sweeping that under the rug such that you do not have to think about it, If you're lucky.
b) As a project's build requirements grows more complex, it's typically not going to be solved by moving to another build system. So the big ball of mud grows, until it is an atrocious monster no one wants to touch when it breaks.

CMake, basel (gently caress basel), etc solve a lot more complex problems than 'rebuild that file because it is too old'. They are complex beasts because the problems they try to solve are messy and complex. Along the way they make assumptions about common use-cases and hide some of that complexity behind easy-to-use interfaces. So it's definitely easy for many use cases, but they're an impenetrable mess inside. If your project suddenly does not fit that use cases well anymore, or something goes wrong, it's a miserable experience.

In Rich Hickey's 'simple made easy' terminology: CMake is easy & complex, Make is hard & simple.

efb:

Presto posted:

I'll take crusty make garbage over baffling cmake garbage any day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IME make is easier for a small project but CMake is much better for large projects. I'm not sure exactly where the point of tradeoff is, but I've definitely run into it on projects that aren't all that large.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
CMake isn't even a competitor to make so I don't really know where this discussion is coming from. I've rarely seen a project that was literally just a hand-written Makefile, nor would I ever want to write or maintain that. CMake is a competitor to something like autotools, and I'll take CMake any day.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

I guess it is technically true. If you can get away with make you either have something very simple and it doesn't matter what you use or you have a very constrained environment where it might actually be okay.

I would rather handwrite ninja tho.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Beef posted:

Well yeah, that's the point I was making. I like to pick the simplest tool for the job at hand. If you project's build needs are relatively simple enough, and does not have to support windows, then Make is typically going to end up being the less-worse solution.

Or IDEs, or any sort of configuration whatsoever. Make is acceptable as a replacement for a 10-line shell script that you want incremental builds from and not much else.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I mean if you have a build that only ever links against C libraries that already come with the system, and you don't need any configurability, Make is still bad and slow version of Ninja.

If you have more requirements, using make is just selfharm.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Beef posted:

I know I won’t convert a cmake hater but even a simple project in cmake is easier than make, unless you don’t know cmake.

Volte posted:

CMake isn't even a competitor to make so I don't really know where this discussion is coming from. I've rarely seen a project that was literally just a hand-written Makefile, nor would I ever want to write or maintain that. CMake is a competitor to something like autotools, and I'll take CMake any day.

I’ve worked on a project that was a big bunch of hand jammed makefiles and i’ve worked on an autotools project and I can tell you that cmake is way better than both.

It sounds like OP is working on a rather large project that was all makefiles, so that’s where the discussion is coming from.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dren posted:

It sounds like OP is working on a rather large project that was all makefiles, so that’s where the discussion is coming from.

Yeah that's what it looks like.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Is std:: vector:: insert generally faster than memmove part of an array to insert elements? I'm currently building an array by repeatedly inserting a bunch of elements but it's slow and I don't have any reason not to switch to std:: vector

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're copying the entire array every time you add an element then yes a vector will be noticeably faster - but your process of repeatedly inserting one element at a time into the middle is just inherently slow. The vector will still have to copy half the elements for every single insert.

Alternative solutions you could try:
- Use a linked list. Generally slow to access, excruciatingly slow to access by index, but once you've located your insertion point it's very quick to insert an element in the middle.
- Append new elements to the end, then sort after you've added all the elements.
- If all the elements are being inserted at the same place, move the existing elements to make space once, and then fill in all the gaps.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

feelix posted:

Is std:: vector:: insert generally faster than memmove part of an array to insert elements? I'm currently building an array by repeatedly inserting a bunch of elements but it's slow and I don't have any reason not to switch to std:: vector

do you know the number of/have all of the elements before hand? you can reserve w/ vector or calloc a nice block of memory ahead of time

how fast does it need to be

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sweeper posted:

do you know the number of/have all of the elements before hand? you can reserve w/ vector or calloc a nice block of memory ahead of time

how fast does it need to be

I just statically allocate to a huge size, memory is not an issue. I'm implementing this in C++, with modification. It appears that the edge extraction is the slowest part by far, so any acceleration in that part would be helpful.

I am extracting an array of unique edges from an array of triangles. I bet there's a faster way to do this on the fly during triangulation, but the triangulation routine I'm using is a black box to me right now and I'd prefer to keep it that way if possible. So, in order to ensure uniqueness, I loop through the array until I exceed the sorting value of the new edge I'm trying to add, break if I've found a match, and insert the new element if I haven't found one.

After building up the array, I only need to access the data once per iteration, so it sounds like a linked list would be the way to go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wait, this is solely to ensure uniqueness? Just use a std::unordered_set, and your implementation will absolutely fly compared to anything you can put together with lists or arrays.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Jabor posted:

Wait, this is solely to ensure uniqueness? Just use a std::unordered_set, and your implementation will absolutely fly compared to anything you can put together with lists or arrays.

yes, nice, thanks!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If you've got a total order on edges, using std::sort followed by std::unique is probably your best bet.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Consider a flat_hash_map implementation from Abseil or F14 from folly if you want to go even faster.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
unordered_set is 30 times faster than my implementation. Thanks!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You’re probably fast enough already, but you should really consider just sorting and uniquing.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

is there any ICU #define to have it only expose the C API when compiling with a C++ compiler?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

#ifdef __cplusplus gives you a section that won't be seen by a C compiler. You can do a lot with that.

It's really tough to write that without a closing #endif.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

#undef __cplusplus
# include <unicode/whatever.h>
#define __cplusplus

ah yea! thanks, works

matti
Mar 31, 2019

now onto writing a long comment block why the gently caress i need to mess with the compiler preprocessor symbols...

its Temporary™

matti fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 28, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

matti posted:

#undef __cplusplus
#define __cplusplus

ah yea! thanks, works
You might want to put a guard #ifdef around that so you don't define __cplusplus when compiling with a C compiler.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Absolutely do not undef __cplusplus before importing a header, what is wrong with you

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

rjmccall posted:

Absolutely do not undef __cplusplus before importing a header, what is wrong with you

Yeah, make sure you restore the original contents:

code:
#pragma push_macro("__cplusplus")
#undef __cplusplus

#include <unicode/whatever.h>

#pragma pop_macro("__cplusplus")

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

matti posted:

#undef __cplusplus
#define __cplusplus

ah yea! thanks, works

I really want to hear the story behind this one.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

rjmccall posted:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

if you must at least tell us why, got blue balls here

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The things headers do in reaction to compiler-defined macros like __cplusplus are frequently required in order to express their interfaces correctly. The most obvious and important example of this is adding extern “C” around any function declarations, which is necessary to make calls to them work.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

yeah i woke up with a little of a hangover and dutifully decided to not do that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
e:nvm dumb question

feelix fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 3, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m trying to do these SDL tutorials in Ubuntu and the programs won’t compile, when I try to compile this file it gives this error

https://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/15_rotation_and_flipping/index.php

https://pastebin.com/HsGLyTEh

code:
VirtualBox:~/sdl/tutorial6/15_rotation_and_flipping$ gcc 15_ro    tation_and_flipping.cpp -w -lSDL2 -lSDL2_image -I/usr/local/include/SDL2 -D_REEN    TRANT
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccldwsPN.o: in function `LTexture::loadFromFile(std::__cxx11::    basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x81): undefined reference to `std::__cxx11:    :basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::c_str() cons    t'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0xa8): undefined reference to `    std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >:    :c_str() const'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x12b): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::c_str() const'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccldwsPN.o: in function `loadMedia()':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x4f8): undefined reference to `std::allocat    or<char>::allocator()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x50f): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x533): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::~basic_string()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x53f): undefined reference to     `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x57b): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::~basic_string()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x590): undefined reference to     `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccldwsPN.o:(.data.rel.local.DW.ref.__gxx_personality_v0[DW.ref    .__gxx_personality_v0]+0x0): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Some research says this might be caused by the SDL libraries being compiled with a different version of GCC, but I reinstalled SDL from source and it still gives the same exact error

Specifying std=c++11 does not help either

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 10, 2021

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

I’m trying to do these SDL tutorials in Ubuntu and the programs won’t compile, when I try to compile this file it gives this error

https://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/15_rotation_and_flipping/index.php

https://pastebin.com/HsGLyTEh

code:
VirtualBox:~/sdl/tutorial6/15_rotation_and_flipping$ gcc 15_ro    tation_and_flipping.cpp -w -lSDL2 -lSDL2_image -I/usr/local/include/SDL2 -D_REEN    TRANT
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccldwsPN.o: in function `LTexture::loadFromFile(std::__cxx11::    basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x81): undefined reference to `std::__cxx11:    :basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::c_str() cons    t'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0xa8): undefined reference to `    std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >:    :c_str() const'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x12b): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::c_str() const'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccldwsPN.o: in function `loadMedia()':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x4f8): undefined reference to `std::allocat    or<char>::allocator()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x50f): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator<char> const&)'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x533): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::~basic_string()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x53f): undefined reference to     `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x57b): undefined reference to     `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >    ::~basic_string()'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x590): undefined reference to     `std::allocator<char>::~allocator()'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccldwsPN.o:(.data.rel.local.DW.ref.__gxx_personality_v0[DW.ref    .__gxx_personality_v0]+0x0): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
Some research says this might be caused by the SDL libraries being compiled with a different version of GCC, but I reinstalled SDL from source and it still gives the same exact error

Specifying std=c++11 does not help either

g++ -lSDL2 -lSDL2_image -I/usr/include/SDL2/ -o test 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp works

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gcc will automatically recognize C++ source and compile it as such (based on the file name extension), but it won't automatically link it with the C++ runtime library. g++ will do that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Now I’m getting this error. I have the packages for libsdl2-image and libsdl2-image-dev both installed, but it doesn’t seem to recognize them. There is indeed a prototype for IMG_Load() in /usr/include/SDL2/SDL_image.h

https://pastebin.com/eiEkCJ8E

code:
VirtualBox:~/SDL/tutorial15/15_rotation_and_flipping$ g++ -lSDL2 -lSDL2_image -I/usr/include/SDL2 -D_REENTRANT 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `LTexture::loadFromFile(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x89): undefined reference to `IMG_Load'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x99): undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0xe3): undefined reference to `SDL_MapRGB'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0xf6): undefined reference to `SDL_SetColorKey'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x10c): undefined reference to `SDL_CreateTextureFromSurface'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x11c): undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x16c): undefined reference to `SDL_FreeSurface'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `LTexture::free()':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x1b7): undefined reference to `SDL_DestroyTexture'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `LTexture::setColor(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x214): undefined reference to `SDL_SetTextureColorMod'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `LTexture::setBlendMode(SDL_BlendMode)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x23f): undefined reference to `SDL_SetTextureBlendMode'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `LTexture::setAlpha(unsigned char)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x26c): undefined reference to `SDL_SetTextureAlphaMod'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `LTexture::render(int, int, SDL_Rect*, double, SDL_Point*, SDL_RendererFlip)':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x310): undefined reference to `SDL_RenderCopyEx'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `init()':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x36d): undefined reference to `SDL_Init'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x379): undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x3a9): undefined reference to `SDL_SetHint'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x3ea): undefined reference to `SDL_CreateWindow'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x402): undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x438): undefined reference to `SDL_CreateRenderer'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x450): undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x48e): undefined reference to `SDL_SetRenderDrawColor'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x49f): undefined reference to `IMG_Init'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x4b0): undefined reference to `SDL_GetError'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `close()':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x5cc): undefined reference to `SDL_DestroyRenderer'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x5db): undefined reference to `SDL_DestroyWindow'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x5f6): undefined reference to `IMG_Quit'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x5fb): undefined reference to `SDL_Quit'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccxrAWJZ.o: in function `main':
15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x685): undefined reference to `SDL_PollEvent'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x74d): undefined reference to `SDL_SetRenderDrawColor'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x75c): undefined reference to `SDL_RenderClear'
/usr/bin/ld: 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp:(.text+0x7d3): undefined reference to `SDL_RenderPresent'

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This probably won't help, but try changing it to g++ $(pkg-config --cflags --libs sdl2 SDL2_image) 15_rotation_and_flipping.cpp

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I got it working by changing the order around, thanks

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 10, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Do you guys have any favorite libraries for sparse matrices? I need to multiply and invert a large (thousands x thousands) matrix and I'm currently using Armadillo.

Annoyingly, the slowest part right now is the fact that I need to knock out rows and columns after assembling the matrix, and that's the slowest part. It's a lot of memory to move around so I'm not surprised, and the correct way to solve this is to write my code to avoid having to do it, but I'm lazy and would like to avoid that if possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Eigen has a SparseMatrix class, which I haven't used but I have used Eigen and it's generally solid. That said, my understanding is that it and Armadillo are pretty even outside of the small-matrix case (where Eigen is much faster), since they both call OpenBLAS or something like that for the actual algorithms on dense matrices. In Eigen's case you can compile it against a couple of different libraries, don't know about Armadillo. Not sure what Eigen does for sparse stuff exactly though.

Far as I understand you generally have to write some careful code by hand to make data manipulation in sparse matrices efficient. You also really, really don't want to invert sparse matrices, ever. It is excruciatingly slow as there's absolutely no guarantee the inverse will be sparse so you basically doing dense matrix math on a hundred-million-element matrix in sparse matrix-storage. Try very hard to solve your problem with a Cholesky or LU decomposition or something.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 12, 2021