Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
...and that's why Alpha Protocol is the greatest rpg of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Morality systems in games have never been good, because as it turns out, condensing all of human morality and the thought processes that go into it down to "here's three options, you literally can't do anything else" doesn't work. I think Fable 2 kind of came the closest, by having separate "good/evil" and "pure/corrupt" sliders... except, if I recall correctly, purity and corruption were tied to things like 'do you use protection when having sex' or 'do you eat healthy' and not, like, your actual moral actions.

Ultima 4 is probably the only game that's managed to pull it off. The world is at relative peace instead of killing badguys your character is tasked with becoming a virtuous person to guide the realm. Doing things like bragging in conversation or killing fleeing enemies will lower the virtues you're trying to raise. Meanwhile avoiding unnecessary conflict, Giving alms to the poor, and dealing honestly with merchants will raise them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Final Fantasy III’s DS remake has your characters become weaker for a number of fights after they change jobs and all it does is make a tedious grinding period. Switching jobs really should have been free

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Twitch posted:

It was a pretty bad game, but I liked Deathspank's morality system, which was a slider in the options menu. I think it might have had cosmetic GUI effects.

IIRC you could get an achievement for turning the slider all the way to good, but that was it.

It's a bit dated and annoyingly meta now, but Deathspank had some great jokes about videogames in general. Like the mission to collect 100 spider eyes, but every spider dropped 8 eyes, a really gratifying poke at WoW, which was peaking in popularity right when Deathspank came out.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Feb 9, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

thetoughestbean posted:

Final Fantasy III’s DS remake has your characters become weaker for a number of fights after they change jobs and all it does is make a tedious grinding period. Switching jobs really should have been free

There is a lot wrong with FF3 DS and when you find out the developer's the same as the original XIV head if all makes so much sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Riatsala posted:

I heard that less than 10% of players ever chose to play renegade Shep, according to Bioware internal stats. It makes sense though, the renegade options were not a consistent ideology or personality and a lot of the time created consequences that made it mechanically disadvantageous to take in the first place. Most players only play through once, if even that, so why make one half of your morality binary the objectively worse choice?

I'm glad the fad of morality systems has died down a lot since the 2000s

It was 2:1 Paragon:Renegade in ME3 and ended up being one of the more even elements of player choice compared to things like class or gender.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The morality system in videogames achieved perfection 14 years ago in Bioshock

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Phigs posted:

Sure if they actually leaned into it they could make it something worth doing like the Fallout 1 ending. But if they don't actually lean into it it's just dumb. Imagine Fallout 1 without the option to talk the master out of his plan so he's there telling you all this stuff and then you're like well that's cool and all but I think your idea is dumb time to die. It would have been better off just having the end dude be a big mutant who just hated humans.

isn't that the one you can only get by learning, during the course of the game, something the Master actually doesn't know, a critical flaw in his plan he was unaware of, and then telling it to him? it's not just a bunch of speech rolls and chutzpah, you have to actually tell him new information, to which he reasonably responds by going "aw gently caress, well now what am I gonna do"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think that's what the dude was saying. But I had to reread it like three times to realize he didn't just want the final encounter to be another frank horrigan

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mass Effect 1 has a renegade option where you make a character kneel so you can execute them for theoretically becoming a traitor in the future.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was 2:1 Paragon:Renegade in ME3 and ended up being one of the more even elements of player choice compared to things like class or gender.

I'm surprised that "saved both" is so high since IIRC you can only get that outcome by having made a certain choice in ME2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I'm surprised that "saved both" is so high since IIRC you can only get that outcome by having made a certain choice in ME2.

You need to have made at least one of two specific choices in ME2 (one relating to the end of Legion's mission, one relating to Tali) and to do some ME3 stuff. Not too hard to do (it's pretty much just a generic completionist playthrough) but easy enough to miss too.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Injustice Gods Among Us: Lex Luthor should include a helmet in his suit of armor.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

I think that's what the dude was saying. But I had to reread it like three times to realize he didn't just want the final encounter to be another frank horrigan

Yeah. On the reread I can see why it would be easy to miss the point if you weren't reading it with already knowing my stance. :P

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC the krogan plot in 3 is one of the few situations where Renegade actually gets you more war assets in the end

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Doom Eternal's DLC loving starts with one of those "double jump, grab this pole, maybe do an air dash" thing.

I know what to do, but damned if my fingers can actually do it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Isn't that just "press space twice, then press shift once"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

christmas boots posted:

It's the same problem they had with Jade Empire and the Open Palm/Closed Fist system where they set something up with more nuance than just good/evil but then in practice it's always BasicallyJesus/SuperHitler

They described Open Palm as "You'll protect people" and Closed Fist as "You'll teach people to stand up for themselves" and then every Closed Fist option was "gently caress over everyone for personal gain"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah it was their first stab at a nuanced morality system but it wasn't really successful.

Honestly I thought Mass Effects wasnt perfect but it was the best out of the bunch if you compare it to KOTOR, Jade Empire etc.

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Feb 10, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not being able to flag Wrex as alive in ME2 was one of the worst things about skipping ME1. They made it out like him being alive was only an Easter egg for ME1 players, then had him as a major cast with tons of scenes for ME3.

I know it's the same for the Kaiden/Ashley choice but they both sucked as characters overall.

Surprised Vega made it so high in playtime though. Liara and Garrus easily best buds/romance partners since the beginning but Vega always seemed kind of lame to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

Surprised Vega made it so high in playtime though. Liara and Garrus easily best buds/romance partners since the beginning but Vega always seemed kind of lame to me.

Vega makes more sense for new players since they won't have as much attachment to the returning characters. Plus he's pretty good and has the best hacking animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhB15siErNQ

Javik should have been on the list but they decided to relegate an important plot character to DLC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got to the point in my Resident Evil 4 playthrough where there's a slide puzzle. I'll give almost anything a try or two before giving up, but slide puzzles are just an instant walkthrough lookup on principle :effort:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Got to the point in my Resident Evil 4 playthrough where there's a slide puzzle. I'll give almost anything a try or two before giving up, but slide puzzles are just an instant walkthrough lookup on principle :effort:

iirc the RE4 puzzle can be solved from the starting position in like 4 moves, so if it gets scrambled it's best to just reset and try again. Not that it invalidates your complaint, I don't like them either.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Riatsala posted:

iirc the RE4 puzzle can be solved from the starting position in like 4 moves, so if it gets scrambled it's best to just reset and try again. Not that it invalidates your complaint, I don't like them either.

It's a bit longer than that but still on the simple end, but my brain doesn't know that in advance so there's still no hope for it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The puzzle's already basically solved when you find it. Move the middle left piece into the centre of the board, then move the piece below it up and continue moving pieces clockwise around the edge until the bottom right space is empty. Bingo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, my brain just doesn't work with those puzzles so there's no way I'd pick up on that without reading it.

vvv :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Feb 10, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Those puzzles always gently caress with me too.

Box pushing puzzles too, actually most puzzles.

Please stop putting puzzles in games, it makes me feel dumb.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The solution is obviously to make the puzzles dumb, too. Like this door lock has a black-and-white checkerboard pattern on it, so clearly I need to go find a chess piece in a clock tower to unlock it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I hated sliding puzzles, but found that there's a way to do them: first, do the top row. Then do the lrft-most column (minus the top space obviously because you already did the top row). Then do the second-highest row. Then the column second from the left. And so forth.

I still don't like them, but at least now I can actually solve them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Vega makes more sense for new players since they won't have as much attachment to the returning characters. Plus he's pretty good and has the best hacking animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhB15siErNQ

Javik should have been on the list but they decided to relegate an important plot character to DLC.

He's honestly pretty solid for a character showing up 2/3rds of the way into the story and expecting you to give a poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite all of ME3's problems there's really nothing wrong with Vega or Javik, they're two solid additions to the cast. ME3's main squad is pretty solid, maybe the best out of all 3 games and the only one without a totally boring human.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All the human dudes in Mass Effect were lean Hollywood leading man types. There was a criminal lack of beefy boys. Vega was a necessary addition.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Kaidan is dull as dishwater in any game he's in. I've played 3 many times now and only once have I done a playthrough where Kaidan survived. Even during the Citadel DLC where everyone else is having fun and cracking in-jokes, he's just kinda... there. The whole time acting like he has no business being at this party for all of the surviving squadmates. Ashley is a space racist and an rear end in a top hat, but she at least has a personality. Kaidan is :geno: personified.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I always save Ashley so that there are two Christians in space. :pray:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I had a sliding puzzle when I was about 8 years old and I figured out how to solve it easily and would solve it over and over again. So now when people say they can't solve sliding puzzles it's one of the few things where I'm surprised people have trouble. It would be different if I was just generically good at puzzles but I'm not. Sliding puzzles are just like, the most obvious thing to me. It's baby's first puzzle.

Maybe it's a matter of how you're introduced to them. Like I said when I was little I had a sliding puzzle itself, a toy where the point was the sliding puzzle so I played with it and figured it out by seeing what doing this did and what doing that did until I fully understood the system. I wonder if there's a big difference from being introduced to the problem as an obstacle rather than a toy. You're not really encouraged to fully explore the inner workings of some one-off puzzle in a video game and then maybe players develop a block because of their first experience essentially trying to brute force through to be able to play the drat game. Dunno, but it's weird to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's just how brains work, gimme a word or logic puzzle and I'm all over it. Shifting stuff around with extremely limited movement? I'm out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
On a related note, gently caress Tower of Hanoi puzzles.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

That water puzzle in Resident Evil 3 can absolutely do one. Even now, 20 odd years later, I can feel the frustration and boredom of having to brute force this dumb puzzle before getting back to the actual fun bit of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Tower of Hanoi has a very simple set of rules to always clear it optimally no matter how many blocks high it is, so it just becomes busy work. The one where you have 3 cups of different size and gotta get a specific amount of liquid only by filling one to the brim or emptying it at a time is much better.

Outer Wilds: attempting the ending is gated behind several minutes of waiting. Even the way they give you to pass time quickly takes over a minute of doing nothing. And then you get instakilled by anglerfish because there's no way to not go full throttle when trying to adjust your ship on keyboard.