Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
A week or so ago there was discussion about a gooseneck clamp. I forgot to save the info and now I can't find it. Does anyone remember what was recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I never finished Divinity 2. The combat is clearly awesome, but I didn't care for the story and there was too much backtracking and old school guesswork involved in the quests. Just don't have the stomach for that anymore. Too bad, because the battle system is so drat good.

The co-op works very well too, at least on PC, but it slows the pacing down a bit.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

American McGay posted:

They're making half a billion dollars a year. I think they're just fine with it.

I don't think any company has ever said yes we've made enough money

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't think Square Enix is interested in doing that.
I'm hoping for a Collection of Mana/SaGa style release for the 8- and 16-bit FF titles.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chinook posted:

just think of all the untranslated mahjongg games that they could still dig into.

Nintendo's going to make an entire separate app for the mahjong games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I understand that it is probably challenging to release the fan favorite 3rd party classics. But like Earthbound and Mario RPG require nothing on Nintendos part.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

beer gas canister posted:

I never finished Divinity 2. The combat is clearly awesome, but I didn't care for the story and there was too much backtracking and old school guesswork involved in the quests. Just don't have the stomach for that anymore. Too bad, because the battle system is so drat good.

The co-op works very well too, at least on PC, but it slows the pacing down a bit.

How far did you get because this was not my experience at all.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

I said come in! posted:

I understand that it is probably challenging to release the fan favorite 3rd party classics. But like Earthbound and Mario RPG require nothing on Nintendos part.

Super Mario RPG is a third party game, tho.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Muk Dumpster posted:

That's assuming that offering titles piecemeal via a VC storefront would make them more money than they currently are by lazily putting a bunch of bad SNES games on the online app.

Subscription services are passive income which they can count on. Companies love passive income.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Yeah, it's extremely dense. You don't actually have to do every side quest, open every chest, etc., but if you have completionist tendencies it can feel overwhelming. The fights are loving great though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I said come in! posted:

Pungry posted:

Super Mario RPG is a third party game, tho.
Yeah, and Squenix doesn't seem eager to jump on the Nintendo Online bandwagon as a dumping ground for their retro games. They'd much rather release their own collections.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wildtortilla posted:

A week or so ago there was discussion about a gooseneck clamp. I forgot to save the info and now I can't find it. Does anyone remember what was recommended?

It was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUQ33LG

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Mario RPG was developed by Square, and the rights to Earthbound are shared with Shigesato Itoi.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

You are my savior.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The moment that 3D All-Stars goes off the e-store is the moment that the VIrtual Console comes back.

I'm fully expecting that Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light to come to the NES virtual console a couple of months after it goes away from the E-shop.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Fire n' Ice is one of the only NES games I would ever play today, so that's nice to have.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The Kins posted:

Mario RPG was developed by Square, and the rights to Earthbound are shared with Shigesato Itoi.
Plus all the original SMRPG characters are owned by Square-Enix iirc

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commander Keene posted:

I'm hoping for a Collection of Mana/SaGa style release for the 8- and 16-bit FF titles.

Just having a release like this for Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma is my dream. I’ve been thinking about it since the Mana collection came.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Out of curiosity, how many of you have modded your switch? Not for piracy but for homebrew and emulation

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just having a release like this for Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma is my dream. I’ve been thinking about it since the Mana collection came.
I would pay $200 for a collector's edition with an artbook and soundtracks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

I would pay $200 for a collector's edition with an artbook and soundtracks.

I still have that big rear end tshirt that came with Gaia somewhere.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

SeANMcBAY posted:

Act 3, twice due to a restart to run coop

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Muk Dumpster posted:

Out of curiosity, how many of you have modded your switch? Not for piracy but for homebrew and emulation

Nobody has ever modded a video games system for homebrew

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sledge from doomsday warrior is coming to smash bros

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I softmodded my 3DS so I could play randomized ds castlevania (using roms I dumped from my own game cards) and the MM3D fan patch. Does this not count as homebrew?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really excited for Bravely Default 2. Judging from the demo, the soundtrack is going to be as good as the first game's (which is one of my favorite JRPG soundtracks ever - I was really disappointed when Bravely Second didn't keep Revo as composer, but fortunately they got him back for this).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I love the idea of playing Tony Hawk, because I never owned any of them, but would play them a lot at friend's places, and I was really bad at it.

I don't see myself buying it, I only ever really played THPS 2 for the GBC which isn't quite the same thing.
Assuming a port is coming eventually, they should have the GBA THPS games as a bonus :v:

Muk Dumpster posted:

"Yes we've made enough money" - Nintendo on the NES and SNES Classic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

japtor posted:

Assuming a port is coming eventually, they should have the GBA THPS games as a bonus :v:

"Yes we've made enough money" - Nintendo on the NES and SNES Classic

To be fair, the Classics are somewhat supplanted by the Online service and the controllers for it. The trick is getting those last few games off each onto the service.

I still goddamn want an N64 Classic though :argh:.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like being able to back up saves and games, and also take screenshots on my softmodded 3DS. I do have a few pirated games on there, but I honestly rarely play them and mostly play the games I bought.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, it's extremely dense. You don't actually have to do every side quest, open every chest, etc., but if you have completionist tendencies it can feel overwhelming. The fights are loving great though.

Its easily my favourite game of all time, but the massive gripe I still have with it is that in the late game you DO have to go around and hoover up like 99% of all quests due to the level gating. Which amounts to there essentially being very limited narrative decisions. It feels a bit like a puzzle figuring out what order you approach quests in.

When I approached it as fantasy Xcom with crpg window dressing it really popped off, for me.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

You wouldn’t download a game

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
When I saw Fire N Ice I assumed it was a port of the old PC game as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acllegQaWM

But it being called Soloman's Key 2 in Japan and people making references to it being a puzzler makes me think that it's completely unrelated!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird, I totally thought Fire n Ice was a lode runner spinoff.

Either way, it's great.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Original_Z posted:

When I saw Fire N Ice I assumed it was a port of the old PC game as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acllegQaWM

But it being called Soloman's Key 2 in Japan and people making references to it being a puzzler makes me think that it's completely unrelated!

Had this on my Amiga A600 and it ruled. gently caress Crash, where is my Cool Coyote comeback

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I did, actually. I developed two homebrew games for the PSP in high school. They even work in PPSSPP! Also played some others' homebrew games, but yeah also emulation.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Muk Dumpster posted:

Well, the other thing to consider with releasing good games on the subscription service or the VC is that they're effectively competing with themselves, both for dollars and for attention. Entertainment is way past the point of saturation now. In other words, if your users are spending time playing old N64 games, they're not playing your newer games. Even if the money is equivalent, there's value in moving your products forward into the future and introducing new product lines instead of stagnating in the past. I'm not saying releasing old games is always a bad idea, but it's also not quite as easy a choice as "Free Money!"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Psycho Dream looks like one of those games you'd play at your cousin's house exactly once when you were 8 and you'd never find out what it was called ever again

When I got the SNES Mini I downloaded a rompack that was something like "Best 100 games" that was full of obscure, JP only stuff like that that was actually pretty awesome, the one thing they could do that would be cool is release more of that

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Muk Dumpster posted:

I briefly ran Atmosphere on an emuMMC last year so that I could run nxdumptool to make dumps of some games I have for a few reasons (e.g., extracting the Trials of Mana SNES ROM from the Collection of Mana), but also mostly to figure out the process.

I wouldn't want to "permanently" mod a Switch right now--to the extent you can do that--as the frequency of updates and risk of losing access to the eShop is just not worth it at this point. Plus I have a pile of other emulation-capable handhelds, and even for those that don't the handhelds coming out of China have now reached a point where it's preferable to use something dedicated for emulation and leave a Switch just as a Switch.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 10, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ColdPie posted:

Well, the other thing to consider with releasing good games on the subscription service or the VC is that they're effectively competing with themselves, both for dollars and for attention. Entertainment is way past the point of saturation now. In other words, if your users are spending time playing old N64 games, they're not playing your newer games.
The music and movie industries pump out remastered albums--let alone "Greatest Hits"--all the time.

You avoid cannibalizing your own sales by staggering releases. Thing is, there was this whole stretch last year where availability of new titles dried up that they could've put a whole lot of new content on NESflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm really excited for Bravely Default 2. Judging from the demo, the soundtrack is going to be as good as the first game's (which is one of my favorite JRPG soundtracks ever - I was really disappointed when Bravely Second didn't keep Revo as composer, but fortunately they got him back for this).

I am really excited for it to be good but also holding my breath

I know the first demo had a bunch of issues (Which they seem to have addressed) but I didn't realize until later they changed the developer and team and a whole bunch of other stuff for some reason.

I want it to be good! the 3DS Bravely games were the FF5 sequels I always wanted