Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I'm planning on watching ReZero should I be watching the directors cut? That seems to be season 1 but I dunno. Using Crunchyroll.

Yes, watch the Director's Cut, it adds a bit to the run time, touches up some animation and adds some content that was cut IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like it's partially an acknowledgement that nothing good comes from trying to use them for blatant self empowerment. From Frieza its actually interesting because it implies character growth or gained humility, and from Bulma I just assume she has enough experience from past adventures to know better.

I actually really like how Super shows Freeza develop from his old, fundamentally lazy Space Napoleitler who just wanted to keep winning forever to someone who actually appreciates the challenge of combat, even if he still hates actually getting hit - and he's still an evil bastard, obviously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the director's cut is 99% the same. it's mostly very minor stuff, like scene transitions being replaced with more natural cuts, and a bit more gore in some of the violent scenes. and a few other things, like conversations having more natural/dramatic pauses in them or the timing of lines being changed. the most significant longterm change is julius having his character design tweaked to have a slightly more angular face and smaller eyes, presumably to have him look a bit more like subaru and play up the contrast between them.

The director's cut also contains most of the tweaks the blu-rays had, like touched up animation in some spots.

There's also a four minute scene added to the end of the last episode to flow more naturally into S2. This is the only thing you could really call new animation or a new scene.

So the director's cut is probably a better viewing experience overall, but it's a very minor change so if the way two episodes are stitched together in it make it more annoying to watch for you, feel free to stick with the original and only watch the last 4 minutes of the last episode of it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
recently went and finally watched Akagi (I knew nothing about akagi other than it's a gambling/mahjong ?seinen?) at my partners prodding and after finishing it I was maybe the most dumbfounded I've ever been watching the end of a show. Like, how the gently caress could they end it like that or at least not finish it in a second season.

Then I went on a road of discovery. Turned out that the one night in Washizu took 20 years.

this absolutely blew my loving mind.

You could have consumed Just Akagi Playing mahjong with Washizu arc of Akagi every month from the moment you were loving born till you loving graduated college and it would have still maybe not ended.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tabletops posted:

recently went and finally watched Akagi (I knew nothing about akagi other than it's a gambling/mahjong ?seinen?) at my partners prodding and after finishing it I was maybe the most dumbfounded I've ever been watching the end of a show. Like, how the gently caress could they end it like that or at least not finish it in a second season.

Then I went on a road of discovery. Turned out that the one night in Washizu took 20 years.

You could have consumed Just Akagi Playing mahjong with Washizu arc of Akagi every month from the moment you were loving born till you loving graduated college and it would have still maybe not ended.

It's bonkers, although the dude has some other mahjong manga's stuff too in the same universe. The show got me into mahjong!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was so weird how people built up "they can't make a season 2 of Re:Zero because they skipped these very important 4 minutes added to the end of the Director's Cut!" and then Season 2 opens with it anyway as well.

Anyway I think Re:Zero is far from perfect but it does feel like an attempt at making a fantasy adventure story that is way more than the sum of its parts with an honest attempt at worldbuilding and lore that does feel like it separates from its contemporary competition. When it is in its stride there aren't too many shows I look forward to more week-to-week.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tabletops posted:

for context, the mahjong match started in 1997 and ended in 2017. naruto and bleach started and ended in that timeframe.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Blessed :glomp:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Any manga/anime concerning space?

(I've read/seen and love Space Bros and Planetes)

There's a 2-ep OVA called To that has some proper classic sci-fi shorts.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

for context, the mahjong match started in 1997 and ended in 2017. naruto and bleach started and ended in that timeframe.

duke nukem forever started development, became legendary vaporware and then got released in that timeframe

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Whats this from?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Citrus

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An isekai show being trash is like water being wet, but man mushoku tensei is a whole nother level isn't it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I don't give a poo poo. This thread is no longer for arguing about isekai. if you argue about isekai here I have no respect for you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i like isekai where the hot lady sees the sexy pussy and says "i am gonna deconstruct your snatch"

link please

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that was theoretical

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm watching log horizon s1 and it's good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

I don't give a poo poo. This thread is no longer for arguing about isekai. if you argue about isekai here I have no respect for you.

If every topic someone doesn't like is verboten, there will be no posts.

Perhaps that is the truly perfect forum

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Colonel posted:

that was theoretical

DA,MN

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

:livintrope:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

stair's high again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

*cracks knuckles and begins to type* personally I think konosuba got too horny in the ova

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Enough Isekai lets all enjoy an anime with a god in it - https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime-news/2021/02/09/crunchyroll-adds-idol-time-pripara-to-anime-catalog

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

it airing on an edutainment channel explains a lot about log horizon

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

it airing on an edutainment channel explains a lot about log horizon

Teaching kids the importance of MMOs

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Am I the only fan of Boku Yabai (Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu/The Dangers in My Heart) on this forum? Boku Yabai is Komi/Kaguya tier.

homeless snail posted:

two years worth of deconstruction made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly onto the screen
Re Zero rules. :kamina:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 10, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Grouchio posted:

Am I the only fan of Boku Yabai (Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu/The Dangers in My Heart) on this forum? Boku Yabai is Komi/Kaguya tier.
It's a v. good at being a middle school romcom but perhaps a touch too horny for any sort of wider appeal around here (probably safer than her other works, though)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

having watched s1 and 2 over the past two weeks, agreed and im so glad i wasn't watching these while they were airing because a seven year gap would have been so annoying

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hell yeah that manga kicks rear end

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is a good manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

she should put a mitsudomoe dad in it, then i would read

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

she should put a mitsudomoe dad in it, then i would read
The most recent chapter revealed her father to be a scary 7 foot tall chef. Imagine manga Koichi-Jotaro.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1358782625947684864

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Endorph posted:

i assumed this was going to be a berserk situation where there was a decade with about seven chapters released, but now i'm just staring at the list of volume releases in disbelief

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a long match of mahjong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are entire volumes where one move happens.

i honestly wonder if it might be the most screentime and chapter count ever devoted to a single fight/competition/etc in the history of manga.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn’t citrus a super trashy show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild